Mistr makes it happen

Mistr

Mistr makes it happen

Summer 2020

Zero week and week 1 of this challenge are the bad examples motivating this challenge. Zero week I was swamped at work and got no down time. I intended to get back on track on week 1 and didn't. I did some yoga and zen. I did not get enough sleep and spent far too much time playing a nonogram game on my phone. My big achievement for the week was mowing the yard. I managed to keep up with the daily things at work but got none of my projects done.

Anything I want to get done, I have to make happen. Time to get moving on all the things I've been putting off.

this challenge brought to you by guilt and annoyance

Exercise

A. I can tell that I am getting out of shape. I was doing NF Kettlebells earlier this summer and found that routine helpful. I should do more of that. I like the idea of doing it. However, I've found that I'm not actually willing to do it first thing in the morning. So I'm going to stick with my current reality and do yoga first thing in the morning. I can do it at lunch if I don't have time first thing. I can substitute in kettlebells any time I feel like it.

B. Silk reeling. I keep saying I want to do this and have done it twice in the last several months. Make it happen. Just 10 minutes a day, 5 minutes per side. For Pete's sake, it's not even hard to do. I'm going to start with putting this as a before-lunch activity. That may change.

Zen

My teacher says that consistency is the key to progress in zen. Fairly often is not consistent. I like doing zazen first thing in the morning on good days. It's the other days that need help. Sit zen at lunch or in the evening if that is when I can do it. Start by 8:15pm, no excuses. At least once in the challenge, go to the zen group practice on Wednesday across town. The Sunday practice is still online because my dojo is still closed. I can do that too, but the point is to see people.

Food

My weight has been steady at 159-160 lbs for the last two months. My ideal weight is about 150. I was at that weight not that long ago. I need to modify my eating so that I can get back to where all my pants fit again. Previously I used the no-white-sugar/no-white-flour plan. I don't see that working under the current circumstances. I can probably limit sweets to things I make myself. Mostly, I want to use reasonable portion control and not stress eating during the day at work. More on that below.

Sleep

Get to bed before 10pm every night, including weekends. It's not like I'm going out or doing anything special. I just need to use my time better during the day so that I'm not staying late at work, then staying up late to relax.

Work

Make the things happen at work. I have three projects hanging over me. Allocate time first thing every day for working on one of them. Do not respond to outside emails during this project time. Schedule an hour after project time to just take care of emails. One of my projects involves updating a page on a SharePoint site. The most recent updates to SharePoint have changed where all the controls are. I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall just trying to find the commands to do what I need to do. If anyone knows of good resources on basic SharePoint design, please point me towards them.

Goal - one finished this week and progress on the other two. All three done by the end of the challenge.

Less work stress -> less stress eating. :P

Projects

• Taxes - Get tax info to our accountant.
  • Finances - Redo budget analysis now that we are not commuting and mostly eating home-cooked food.
  • Deal with the pile of papers that has been migrating from the floor to the couch and back for the last several months.
  • Downstairs bathroom - wash floor; paint walls, paint shelf.
  • Laundry room shelves. I bought the materials last summer and started putting up the shelf brackets over winter break. Get it done.
  • Boxes - move papers to filing cabinet in the mud room.
  • Refurbish the scratching post with new rope. The cats have completely shredded it. I bought new rope months ago.

Goal is to get the taxes done by tomorrow, one other thing done per week.

All the aspirational things like participating in Zoom aikido classes can wait. I want to get in control of my own environment first.

• Like 4

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Progress so far:

• Tax info is gathered, signed the agreement for the accountant.
  • Pile of papers is now spread out all over the floor in smaller piles. Some I can even deal with.
  • Called my financial institution and got a question answered.
  • Called my medical clinic and made an appointment.
  • weeded the veggie bed and transplanted lettuce and basil from where I overplanted into the bare spots where beans and marigolds did not germinate. The bean and marigold seeds were old, so I wasn't surprised. I am disappointed that only 4 of the new sweet peas came up.

I have one basket of laundry to fold and put away and that finishes my turn.

Still to do: silk reeling, sit zen, get together with Elf.

• Like 3

Level 59  Viking paladin

I don't know anything about SharePoint, but your work plan looks really good. That is exactly the kind of strategy I use when I am fed up and need to get stuff done. It will work.

We're still a little farther back on the social distancing, so the concept of sitting zen with other people sounds amazing!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Looks like a good plan to me, and I really hope it works for you and things get a little less crazy. I reckon we could all do with a little less craziness in our lives right now...

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Awesome job on the already completed to do list...I have no doubt you will make it all happen

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: it's all routine

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 64

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Week in review

I've done a lot better, but still not quite there on consistency for zen. Yesterday I skipped (again). Today I did it first thing in the morning because that is the most reliable time. I slept nearly 9 hours last night, so I clearly was not getting enough sleep during the week, even though I did not stay up too late.

I successfully got my part of the tax info to the accountant. Dumbledore says he will get his business expenses to her this weekend. We got a "Last Call" notice, so hopefully he will finish up.

Work went pretty well Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday I stayed on task and got things done, feeling like I was using extra energy to make that happen. I was good and washed dishes after supper. Thursday I lost focus after lunch. I mostly made up for that by spending an hour on Friday getting one of my tasks done.

I started in on the downstairs bathroom project. I figured out how to get the shelf off the wall. I sanded down the places where the paint was removed from wet bottles sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately, the surface of the shelf is particle board and it does not sand smooth. I put on a coat of white paint anyway. I hope that several rounds of sanding and painting will give a decent finish. Today I sorted through our stash of old paint and found a can of mildew-resistant paint that might work. I'll have to see what color it really is.

Other things accomplished were chores rather than projects. I mowed the back and side yard yesterday and did an hour of beating back bushes and weeds today. The back garden is now ready for wood chips. I might do that tomorrow morning. I cleaned the upstairs toilet and tub and washed two batches of dishes. Dumbledore finally got around to doing some cooking and left a lot of mess. That is a little better now. He did a load of dishes yesterday, and cleaned up the kitchen island.

Dumbledore has been packing Herme's room. He finished with the bookshelves and is continuing with other stuff. I volunteered to take care of the laundry. There was a laundry basket and a hamper. I think they were all dirty clothes, although I'm not 100% sure. They are all clean now.

Next week we are going up north to my family's cabin. That will give us some time away from the scenery we've been looking at for the last four months. It also will give Hermes a chance to come home and move his stuff without worrying about wearing a mask or dealing with anyone. I'm really looking forward to getting some actual vacation time. No projects at all. :)

Also no internet. I won't be able to check in here until we get back to the city on Friday night.

I'm off to figure out what books to pack. Have a good weekend all!

• Like 5

Level 59  Viking paladin

Enjoy your weekend!

Spoiler

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

The time at the lake was lovely. I brought all sorts of books and projects and did none of them. I got as far as getting out my knitting and trying on the partially finished sock. It needs another half an inch before I start the heel. I have no enthusiasm to work on it right now. Mostly I played nonograms and looked at the lake.

I did get several things done as my part of taking care of the family cabin. I reorganized two cupboards in the living room. I discovered that we have 26 packs of playing cards, of various vintages. I mentioned this to Mom and she said that she got the 6-pack of card for playing Hand-and-foot, which takes 6 decks. I also think my brother and his friends were playing poker as well as role-playing games.

The other project was weeding and beating back the bushes. Mom loves gardening, and set up landscaping in front of the house when her health was better. Now things are getting overgrown. I'm probably the only other person in the family who can tell the flowers from the weeds. I was pleased to discover a brand-new pruning clipper in the garage. That made the work much easier.

I wanted to go canoeing, but didn't manage it. Mom told me that someone had broken one of the canoe paddles and not replaced it. No one fessed up to it. So I ordered a new paddle. They are surprisingly hard to find. All the outdoor stores claim to sell them, but didn't have one within 100 miles. So I ordered one and paid for expedited shipping to get it sent to the cabin. It finally showed up Wednesday evening (promised for Monday), right before a thunderstorm. On Thursday, Elf and I went to the boat house to get out the canoe. It was piled with all the inflatable water toys. The rest of the boat house was full of Forth of July stuff. We discovered that in fact there were two canoe paddles in the canoe. Neither of us was willing to do the work of organizing the boat house before going canoeing. Maybe this fall when it is not so hot and sticky.

The tail end of the trip involved moving the contents of a non-profit office that Dumbledore works with. He did a great job of organizing the move. We had a small crew at each end -- me, Elf, Dumbledore and two friends. It went about as smoothly as any move I've ever done. That said, it was a lot of physical labor. We spent Sunday puttering around the house and recovering.

I had great intentions to get back to doing kettlebells and meditating regularly once I got home. That got thrown by me getting a shingles shot yesterday. My arm started to hurt a couple hours after I got the shot. By evening everything hurt. The physican's assistant warned me that I would feel like I got hit by a truck. Yep, that's right. Thankfully it is getting better now.

• Like 5

Level 59  Viking paladin

I've been struggling to get back on top of things for the last week. My one big project accomplishment was getting the downstairs bathroom floor washed. You may wonder why a simple thing like washing the floor would be that big a deal. Well, the downstairs bathroom was Hermes' responsibility until he went to shelter-in-place at his girlfriend's. He may have swept the floor or even wiped up spills a few times. Evidence suggests that he never actually got into the corners. Eight years of dust and grime is now gone.

Filtered for disgusting

Spoiler

I've been cleaning the downstairs toilet on a regular basis since Hermes vacated. The downstairs bathroom doesn't get much use, just every now and then when someone needs to pee and the upstairs bathroom is occupied. So one would expect that it would not get dirty very quickly. One would be sadly mistaken.

Something is living in the toilet plumbing that grows down from the water inlets and makes a brown coating on the bowl of the toilet. Toilet cleaner beats it back, but not for long.

So last weekend I disinfected the tank with Lysol. My rationale was that quaternary ammonium disinfection would be safer for the plumbing than bleach, which is the other easily accessible home option. The inside of the tank was not particularly disgusting. A little dirty, but no one but me and my grandmother ever cleans a toilet tank. I suspect the problem area is in the plumbing channels inside the toilet. After soaking the tank for half an hour with a lot more Lysol than recommended, I flushed the toilet so the solution would sit in the bowl and channels for another half hour. That loosened a little gunk, which I cleaned out the usual way.

We shall see how long the toilet remains cleanish-looking. If it worked, I'm doing the same thing to the upstairs toilet this weekend. I've tried cleaning the upstairs tank previously, but not with Lysol. Stay tuned for the next episode.

I made a happy discovery on the exercise front yesterday.

So we took a kettlebell up north with great intentions of exercising during vacation. I finally did KB exercises the last day, because I had insomnia and didn't want to say we had hauled the weight around for no reason. The exercises felt kind of creaky and heavy, but it was 5:30am and I hadn't had much sleep or exercised for a week, so I wasn't surprised.

I did four more NF KB sessions in the week after I got back. After the first couple I was starting to get worried because they weren't feeling any easier. I had gotten up to using the 15# kettlebell earlier this spring. Backing off to the 10# should have felt much easier than it did. I kept going and started to add reps, and that felt okay. The overhead press and lunges are still not as stable as I'd like. Yesterday Dumbledore was exercising, doing KB squats, and mentioned he wanted to get heavier KBs. We have 5, 10, 15 and 20 pound kettlebells, all plain black cast iron. The weight is molded into the side, but you have to look to read it. I went over and looked at the KB I've been using - it was the 15, not the 10. I am not nearly as weak and out of shape as I thought!

• Like 4

Level 59  Viking paladin

On 7/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, Mistr said:

You may wonder why a simple thing like washing the floor would be that big a deal

I have an ex-husband and three sons, I do not wonder this....

• Haha 2

Spoiler

It took until today for me to discover that I somehow was not following this challenge thread. Embarrassing, but it explains why I haven't seen a single update at all. Ooops.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33

Challenge recap - what did I actually make happen?

On 6/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Mistr said:

Anything I want to get done, I have to make happen. Time to get moving on all the things I've been putting off.

this challenge brought to you by guilt and annoyance  So true.

Exercise

A. I can tell that I am getting out of shape. I was doing NF Kettlebells earlier this summer and found that routine helpful. I should do more of that. I like the idea of doing it. However, I've found that I'm not actually willing to do it first thing in the morning. So I'm going to stick with my current reality and do yoga first thing in the morning. I can do it at lunch if I don't have time first thing. I can substitute in kettlebells any time I feel like it.

Started doing KB again, did a lot of core yoga.

B. Silk reeling. I keep saying I want to do this and have done it twice in the last several months. Make it happen. Just 10 minutes a day, 5 minutes per side. For Pete's sake, it's not even hard to do. I'm going to start with putting this as a before-lunch activity. That may change.

Watched the new video, did several sessions. Nothing like every day, but it is a start.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Mistr said:

Zen

My teacher says that consistency is the key to progress in zen. Fairly often is not consistent. I like doing zazen first thing in the morning on good days. It's the other days that need help. Sit zen at lunch or in the evening if that is when I can do it. Start by 8:15pm, no excuses. At least once in the challenge, go to the zen group practice on Wednesday across town.  Still at the same level of most-of-the-time. Did not go to a Wednesday group class.

Food

Pretty much the same. I don't feel like I've been stress eating as much. I am eating a lot of sweets. Meals are reasonably healthy.

Sleep

Get to bed before 10pm every night, including weekends. It's not like I'm going out or doing anything special. I just need to use my time better during the day so that I'm not staying late at work, then staying up late to relax.  Nice theory. Fell apart at the end of the challenge.

Work

Make the things happen at work. I have three projects hanging over me.

Goal - one finished this week and progress on the other two. All three done by the end of the challenge.

Work was crazy busy. I got one project finished by the end of the challenge. I did a little on the second and didn't even try to fix the SharePoint site.

Projects

• Taxes - Get tax info to our accountant. Done (at least my part, Dumbledore is still working on his part)
  • Finances - Redo budget analysis now that we are not commuting and mostly eating home-cooked food. Nope
  • Deal with the pile of papers that has been migrating from the floor to the couch and back for the last several months. Nope
  • Downstairs bathroom - wash floor; paint walls, paint shelf.
  • Laundry room shelves. I bought the materials last summer and started putting up the shelf brackets over winter break. Get it done. Nope
  • Boxes - move papers to filing cabinet in the mud room. Nope
  • Refurbish the scratching post with new rope. The cats have completely shredded it. I bought new rope months ago. Nope

Several things happened this challenge that interferred with my original goals. Going on vacation for a week was one of them. I am VERY happy that we took a vacation. Having time away to relax was lovely. I just had one less week to do things at home.

The second thing was helping Dumbledore with a big project of his. Our vacation was arranged to coordinate with moving his non-profit office. That took a full day the first weekend. Last weekend I spent half of Sunday helping him get the shelves clean and set up where they went. Yesterday was the second and final phase of the move. Dumbledore and Elf drove back to the Twin Cities to pack and haul back the rest of the stuff. The volume was not as much but it was more awkward things, like old computers and office chairs. Hermes and I went to the new office yesterday morning and spent two hours getting the last shelving unit reassembled and put in place. I moved boxes onto the shelves to make space for the final load of stuff. It is coming together really nicely. The former office was in an old warehouse building with minimal climate control. Everything was covered in dust and grime. Now the shelves and desk are clean and the space is air conditioned and much better lit. Even before organizing and unpacking, it looks much better. Dumbledore is extremely pleased. He has a lot of work in front of him, but now he can spend several hours a week on it with a 5 minute drive instead of a couple weekends a year with a 4.5 hour drive.

The third thing is that work has been busy. All my team mentioned that the load of incoming work has picked up again after the lull while labs were closed down during the initial stay-at-home efforts. Many places are figuring out ways to split shifts. Scientists who are home planning their experiments are calling my team for help. I feel like I've been doing a much better job of staying on task at work, and I'm still not keeping up. Last Thursday I took care of routine tasks until 6pm, had dinner and helped Elf and Dumbledore get on the road, then stayed up until after 10 doing an essential task that required uninterrupted concentration. I knew it needed to get done on Wednesday, but I didn't have the energy or open time to do it. Staying late at work has taken a fair bit of my evening time and a lot of my energy.

I feel like I've done a pretty good job of dealing with things. I spent way too much time playing games on my phone. I finished all the levels of the nonogram game, so I hope I can leave that alone. I only felt the anxiety weasel rant of "no one else is doing anything" once, and I recognized it right away. No leveling up this challenge, but I'm okay with just hanging in there.

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

5 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I feel like I've done a pretty good job of dealing with things. I spent way too much time playing games on my phone. I finished all the levels of the nonogram game, so I hope I can leave that alone. I only felt the anxiety weasel rant of "no one else is doing anything" once, and I recognized it right away. No leveling up this challenge, but I'm okay with just hanging in there.

Leveling up is not a requirement for a successful challenge. I feel like I've been treading water a lot this challenge period, and the fact I'm still doing it is a success, since it keeps me from sinking.

Just hanging in there is a victory on its own, and not as easy as it sounds.

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:40 PM, Mistr said:

No leveling up this challenge, but I'm okay with just hanging in there.

Well, if it helps, I'd say to think of it as getting enough forward progress to offset the backwards progress that was forced upon you by your circumstances. You defeated many foes and the line is held... which reads highfalutin to me, but it's kind of true to life I find and it makes for a more epic kind of sound. Which you rate. 'cuz you're awesome.

• Like 3