Chibi needs some encouragement!

Day: 15 minutes HIIT and a few minutes stretching. 
          I may have had a tiny bit of marzipan!

My weight is going up!!! 😢

Screen time was about 90minutes, but that is probably low, since the measuring apps weren't running all day. Today will be the baseline.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.13.17 am.png

• Like 1

Failed on my "no sweet things" resolution for emotional reasons. :(

But my screen time was down to 2:15 .... that's better. Maybe today I can crack the 2 hours mark!

But my weight went up. I'm blaming this on a salty dinner and inflammation of my legs from starting
workouts again. It always happens. When I return to workouts my weight goes up. The solution, 
obviously is not to stop working out!

Eggs for breakfast!

eggs.png

• Like 1

Yea! Attack on titian has the never give up attitude which I find useful on this physical journey haha! Do you read it too?

and aww, awareness is usually the first step to change, for example your relationship with food and the environmental factors around you that shape it. Like It’s good you knew you were thirsty! 

If you’re having a hard time, maybe start even smaller by just focusing on one of the goals till you get it’s gets stable? I recall myself focusing on cleaning my main meals for one month and nothing else cause it was that hard (I am now cleaning up my snacks). what is your plan to not eat sweet things? 

Today is a new day, don’t give up!

• Like 1

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)

23 hours ago, //Min said:

Yea! Attack on titian has the never give up attitude which I find useful on this physical journey haha! Do you read it too?

and aww, awareness is usually the first step to change, for example your relationship with food and the environmental factors around you that shape it. Like It’s good you knew you were thirsty! 

If you’re having a hard time, maybe start even smaller by just focusing on one of the goals till you get it’s gets stable? I recall myself focusing on cleaning my main meals for one month and nothing else cause it was that hard (I am now cleaning up my snacks). what is your plan to not eat sweet things? 

Today is a new day, don’t give up!

My husband and I watched the first series of the anime  which stops abruptly. It's very weird how something so grotesque can be so addictive! I couldn't actually bring myself to watch the second series. :)

Yesterday I failed on all my goals! No exercise, no stretching and white bread! :(
Now I am heavier than I was a month ago. Sigh!

One bad habit I have is when I've been dieting for awhile and my weight goes down I then relax and everything goes back on again!

graph.png

Haha yea! I’m surprised how addicted I was to both the manga and the anime too since I don’t normally go for such gore. I think it’s because the themes are so relatable, fighting hard for something better and freedom.

Ahh… yea diet usually has much higher impact on weight loss/gain than exercise, so it make sense if your diet change your weight would change. Was your diet very restrictive that you couldn’t sustain it? What are you eating these days? I’ve found meal planning and eating at regular timings before I get too hungry helps remove temptations if you need some ideas.

You can do it, we are all here cheering you on!

AW1237791_00.gif

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)

Finding what foods make me feel good, and healthy foods that I look forward to having, has helped me with avoiding the foods I'm trying not to eat (simple carbohydrates). I suspect that healthy comfort food is a highly individual thing, but for me it's been protein bars (which don't fully follow the rules but the protein seems to offset the sugar) and beans + rice with good sauces, often Indian or ones with teriyaki. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, First Mate Davy said:

Finding what foods make me feel good, and healthy foods that I look forward to having, has helped me with avoiding the foods I'm trying not to eat (simple carbohydrates). I suspect that healthy comfort food is a highly individual thing, but for me it's been protein bars (which don't fully follow the rules but the protein seems to offset the sugar) and beans + rice with good sauces, often Indian or ones with teriyaki. 

Thanks. I will keep that in mind, Yesterday I was eating brown rice with cottage cheese (because my tummy was crummy) and it was delicious.
The rice was left overs and had mixed with the salty sauce from the main dish and oh....so yummy...and comforting.

My mother in law used to make kitcheri with rice and lentils and that was super yummy too. The lentils somehow made it creamy.

12 hours ago, //Min said:

Ahh… yea diet usually has much higher impact on weight loss/gain than exercise, so it make sense if your diet change your weight would change. Was your diet very restrictive that you couldn’t sustain it? What are you eating these days? I’ve found meal planning and eating at regular timings before I get too hungry helps remove temptations if you need some ideas.

Thanks :) Manga can definitely be addictive! And then you end up learning Japanese and one thing leads to another...

On the subject of food...

I love my breakfast, which is one of my homemade protein bars and 2 eggs. I usually eat it at around 10am when I get hungry and that lasts me til 2.
Lunch is a problem though. In theory I eat chicken breast with vegies, a few nuts, some yoghurt and half. a banana but I've got so bored of it that I go looking for something else
and that's when things get bad because as soon as I've eaten something "I shouldn't" I just keep eating. 

Dinner is usually chicken breast with vegies and a fat bomb for dessert. Love my fat bombs! And one fat bomb just switches off my appetite so I can relax and not keep thinking "Is that it? Can't I have some more?" Probably not great for my cholesterol though.

But yesterday I was "good" . I managed not to eat anything sweet and my weight went down 200g.

Suggestions for lunches would be welcome!

22 hours ago, First Mate Davy said:

When I need to thicken a sauce, sometimes I cook red lentils until they start falling apart - since it's higher protein than flour. The red ones are very thin and don't have skins. Do you know what kind your mother in law used? (A lot of my recipes would benefit from more creaminess without actual cream.) 

I guess my MIL used brown lentils but my Indian friend insists kitcheri is made with mung dahl (split mung beans) because it is very creamy.

https://www.ayurveda.com/recipes/kitchari

On 7/7/2020 at 7:14 PM, chibi-nerd said:

Lunch is a problem though. In theory I eat chicken breast with vegies, a few nuts, some yoghurt and half. a banana but I've got so bored of it that I go looking for something else
and that's when things get bad because as soon as I've eaten something "I shouldn't" I just keep eating. 

more fun versions of that same thing...

chicken burrito bowl (or just regular chicken burrito, but it sounds like you are trying to limit carbs)

greek chicken with tzatziki (using that same yogurt)

kung pao chicken (chicken, veggies, nuts etc)

smoothie instead of the fruit and yogurt

curried chicken salad (chicken, celery, maybe some carrots and raisins, cashews, some spices, mix in the yogurt, maybe have it over a bed of lettuce)

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 7/7/2020 at 10:39 PM, First Mate Davy said:

When I need to thicken a sauce, sometimes I cook red lentils until they start falling apart - since it's higher protein than flour.

I love this for making a basic red sauce for pasta. It makes the meal more balanced too when the sauce is vegetarian.

How's the week been treating you, Chibi?

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41

On 7/15/2020 at 11:37 AM, Xena said:

more fun versions of that same thing...

chicken burrito bowl (or just regular chicken burrito, but it sounds like you are trying to limit carbs)

greek chicken with tzatziki (using that same yogurt)

kung pao chicken (chicken, veggies, nuts etc)

smoothie instead of the fruit and yogurt

curried chicken salad (chicken, celery, maybe some carrots and raisins, cashews, some spices, mix in the yogurt, maybe have it over a bed of lettuce)

Yes those are all good ideas but then I'd have to actually make them :)
Because I normally calculate calories and if I don't know how many calories I'm eating I'll overeat I need a simple way of counting calories and 
eating non boring food and this is what I came up with....just for lunch, weigh my food.
Lots of calorie dense foods like chicken breast, cooked, pasta cooked rice etc. have about 150 calories / 100g so if I eat 200g of left overs from the night before
I'll be eating about 250-300 Calories. Then I add about 100cals of nuts and/or fruit and that's lunch. 
This is similar to the Japanese government recommendation that people eat a certain volume of food, depending on their age and gender, because the number of
calories / 100ml is kind of constant and Japanese people pack their lunches tightly into bento boxes, so all they need to do is buy the right sized box.  

• Like 2
On 7/16/2020 at 12:14 PM, juliebarkley said:

I love this for making a basic red sauce for pasta. It makes the meal more balanced too when the sauce is vegetarian.

How's the week been treating you, Chibi?

Thank you for asking, Julie. The week has been treating me well, but have I been treating myself well?

I have failed miserably on my goals but have come to a few realisations:

1. I have a sugar problem. If I see sugar I'll eat it. Solution: hide the sugar from myself, or better yet not have it in the house.
Last week we had liquorice and jellybeans in the house and I kept hiding them behind the flour and what not, but my husband kept
getting them out after dinner or moving the flour! There are also certain parts of the pantry where my eye is less likely to encounter
things so if I keep dangerous foods there, I can resist them.

2. I really do have an internet problem. I use the internet to avoid doing what I should be doing, like right now, I should be doing a workout!
I have a constant need to check the news, facebook, instagram and email. I can't even sit and quietly spin without having an audiobook or podcast going.
So I am trying to be more "in the moment" and sometimes I hide the devices from myself.

3. I won't do a workout unless I put my workout gear on when I get out of bed, so days like yesterday, when I have to drive people here and there
and do errands result in no workout. For the next challenge I'll double my workout goal from 15 to 30 mins / day and hopefully that will result 
in more workout minutes per week, even if I miss a couple of days.

And as for stretching....I just forget to do it.

And now because I have been typing this instead of doing a workout I have almost run out of time to do one! 

There's still a week to adjust and refine. You are learning things about yourself that will help you succeed in future and are still trying, so that's a good thing too.

I did a challenge a while back where I summarized what I had learned from The Power of Habit about how to set a habit up optimally to help it stick (or break a bad one). Your comments about your sugar, internet, and workout issues remind me of the stuff that I learned about setting up your environment to help yourself succeed. It has helped me a lot with habits that I have been working on myself. I sounds like it helps you too when you do it, so I hope you can get something out of it. :)

20 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

For the next challenge I'll double my workout goal from 15 to 30 mins / day and hopefully that will result 
in more workout minutes per week, even if I miss a couple of days.

This might be the wrong approach (of course it might not; you know yourself better than I do obviously). If it were me, I would go the other way. Do you have trouble moving on to a workout when you do put on workout clothes, even if it's only a really short workout? If not, perhaps the challenge should be to just make sure you get those clothes on and do something, even if it's just a few jumping jacks or something. If you have to drive someone somewhere, you would have time for that. Or, put them right by your door so that you can't miss them when you come back. Getting the habit of regular exercise might be more beneficial than getting more minutes of exercise but in binges that will stop when your willpower fades. Then you will have something to build on for the future.

30 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

And as for stretching....I just forget to do it.

Ugh, the worst. The only thing that has worked for me has been to tie the thing I want to remember to some other regular event (like waking up, eating a meal, etc.). It's not foolproof, though. Other people have luck with putting up notes or putting reminders on their phone. Worth a try!

33 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

And now because I have been typing this instead of doing a workout I have almost run out of time to do one! 

Done is better than perfect. ;) Go do something, anything, rather than nothing! (Course I am a total hypocrite on this as I missed my workout today, too.)

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41

11 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

Because I normally calculate calories and if I don't know how many calories I'm eating I'll overeat I need a simple way of counting calories and 
eating non boring food and this is what I came up with....just for lunch, weigh my food.

Yep...I know what you mean. For me the easiest thing, is to cook a batch of something, calculate the calories (weighing/measuring ingredients, doing the math), and then divide it into portions. It's a pain though. Your method is easier. And it doesn't really matter if it's accurate as long as it's consistent.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I find it much easier to avoid sugar if I can't see it.Better yet, if it's not in the house. Another thing that helps is delaying, If I see it and want it, tell myself to delay 15 minutes and then I can have it. Sometimes , by that time the craving has disappeared. And then if I do it, sit down and enjoy it without guilt , but as a decided on treat.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I find it much easier to avoid sugar if I can't see it.Better yet, if it's not in the house. Another thing that helps is delaying, If I see it and want it, tell myself to delay 15 minutes and then I can have it. Sometimes , by that time the craving has disappeared. And then if I do it, sit down and enjoy it without guilt , but as a decided on treat.

Unfortunately I'm not the only one that buys the sugar! :) But you're idea is a great one. One of the reasons I shove it in my mouth when I see it is, unconsciously, I think it's going to disappear. If I tell myself it will still be there in 15 minutes I won't be so anxious about eating it!