Are my workouts well-balanced ??

Hi everyone,

I'd like someone to give me your feedback on my new DBs workouts (at home - no gym exercises) aimed to be well-rounded and balanced (a bit of everything)....

I want to workout 3 times per week, around 45 mn per session,  alternating between the 2 following workouts (Circuit / 4 rounds of 8-12 reps each)

Workout A

• Goblet Squat
  • SL Deadlift
  • GLute bridge walk-outs
  • Push-ups
  • Triceps ext.
  • One arm-rows
  • Biceps curls
  • Plank with reaches

Workout B:

• Bulgarian split squats
  • Deadlift
  • SL GLute bridge
  • Inverted rows
  • Renegade rows
  • Side plank with hip abduction
  • Mountain climbers

I'd like to add:

DB front and side raises

Lateral lunges

Suitcase carries

... but I don't know where !!!

What do you think ? Are there too many exercises in those 2 workouts ? Are they well balanced ?? Is anything missing?? Should I split them into 3 different workouts ?? In such case, how couls I spread those exercises into 3 balanced workouts ??6

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!

Hello GailG,

I really like the set up that you have. I seems like you put a good amount of time planning this out. I agree with the 3 days per week, it gives you body adequate rest. According to Matt Brzycki's A Practical Approach to Strength Training, "A period of about 48-72 hours is usually necessary for muscle tissue to recover sufficiently from a strength workout" (Brzycki, 1995). Also if you are wanting to do a full body training, you should have one exercise for hips, hamstrings, quadriceps, calves/dorsiflexors, biceps, triceps, abdominals and lower back. It seems like you have a pretty good balance, you could add a few more movements to each day, no more than 14. That is if you did one set to failure, the number of reps you have are a good place to fail in. 

In all I really like your set up! It is quite similar to a workout we are doing for our advanced strength and conditioning course.