Anyone here use Mint?

I’ve always had money problems I spend too much and my account goes negative all the time and my parents are always giving me money to help out. Mint is free and so far it’s pretty awesome. But I’m still low on money. Thinking of getting a credit card but not gonna be stupid about it. 
the goal is to save money and move out of my overly expensive apartment 

Natildora

If you are overspending a credit card is only going to exacerbate the problem. Not sure what Mint is but what is going to help more than anything else is a written budget (written doesn't have to mean on paper, electronic versions are fine) where you see all the money coming in for a month and assign it somewhere on the budget. At that point, you can see if you need to cut some things from your lifestyle, and you had already mentioned your apartment is expensive, in order to have enough month at the end of your money.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

@Tank Mint is a budgeting app.

I used it for a short while and it was useful to see where my money was going. I can see how it could be a great long-term tool, but it wasn’t compatible with my ADHD.

Did it help you find any areas you could cut?

Tank is right, credit cards don’t make sense unless you don’t need them.

Any chance you could get a roommate?

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Mint user of several years:

I find it's a great tool to see across multiple accounts and organize expenses into categories. However not so much for creating and keeping a budget.

My recommendation is to create a budget manually on excel.

Yes, it is going to be tedious and may not be pleasing to the eyes.

But going through the process of listing all your expenses and truly seeing how your hard earned money is spent will prompt the correct questions.

Be sure to include categories for the following:

1. Transfers - Parents, friends, etc. - It's impressive how these really add up.

2. Loot - Everyone thinks car or house. But, setting money aside for something small for yourself is key.

3. Non-Standard Categories - No one but you needs to see your budget/finances. If it's important to you, then track and save for it.

Food For Thought: Is your concern being low on money or not having enough left for something you truly want? (Answer this to yourself, no post required)

• Like 1

Another vote for a spreadsheet here.

The only way I can do it (and this is very tricky with Covid) is paying cash. You set a budget, draw out the cash, and leave your cards at home.

The reason banks are pushing contactless so much is because it's much easier to spend when you can't see your money being depleted. If you start with a thick wad of cash then buy some and are left with a thin wad of cash, it focuses the mind.

Don't take this the wrong way, but a credit card is a terrible idea for people in your position. The only reason I have one is to pay for big ticket items online so I can do chargeback claims if something goes wrong. I've never paid a penny in interest because it gets paid in full every month. My convenient feature is subsidised by the banks making money of people who find themselves unable to do that.

• Like 1