cd667's battle logs

19th July 2020: This is actually my rest day. Yesterday, I went hiking with my dog, Max. We walked around Shining Cliff Woods, home of Betty Kenny's Tree. I kept a fast pace, and there are two very steep hills. About 3 miles. I am feeling it today!

Today, just a stroll with Max (2 miles, the normal route from my house), and a very gentle 15 minute session of Qigong.

• Like 1

20th July 2020: Qigong session before breakfast, then in the evening an epic walk with my dog. I just kept walking up the hill out of town. I've just measured it at 5.7 miles!

My lovely old dog, Max, is absolutely knackered. And so am I, so off to bed.

• Like 1

22nd July 2020: Today, my usual Qigong, and a 4 mile walk, up a big hill. You can't turn for hills here. It isn't called the Peak District without reason.

After my Qigong, I had a bath, and was meditating. It suddenly occurred to me how much tension I was carrying around, and how angry I felt. And then I had a bit of a revelation. It's because I'm scared and feeling really vulnerable, part of which is because I now carry around loads of extra weight has led to my losing flexibility. I feel vulnerable now in ways that I never did when I was younger.

And then, I realised that although I didn't have choices when I was a kid, I have lots of choices now I'm an adult. And how much trouble choice is, if you have to decide what you are going to do, it is a kind of tyranny.

So, a little switch has gone in my head. I've just made a decision that I will look after my body. I am athletic. I might have forgotten that for a while, but I love moving.

I don't need to "reward myself" with anything external. I just need to do my best, and not dwell too much on how much easier it would be to never start.

Did that make sense? Or did I just type a massive brain fart?

• Like 3

Makes perfect sense. Nice to see walking and Qigong help you focus. Keep on figuring it out and going forward, fear (or the feeling of vulnerability) makes us feel withered and under siege, we have to get over it. You'll get there.

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Usual walk today. 2 miles. It is chucking it down.

That's always nice, because you have to walk over a spring. It's nice to hear the babbling, it's rare this time of year. No weather is much trouble if you can get in the bath when you get home.

Of course, towelling off an enormous, soggy dog has its challenges. But my long suffering partner does that for me. :D

Oh, and morning Qigong.

• Like 1

A bit of background: over lockdown, I was looking after one of my friends who had cancer (I self-isolated so I could go in every day, and his wife couldn't manage everything alone). He died about six weeks ago, the day before his daughter's fifth birthday.

Today would have been his birthday. It's odd, I was always thinking I'd be the one who died before him. He was a rowing instructor. I was the one who tried to kill himself with beer for ten years.

Anyway. I've been changing my food consumption, but tonight we're having dinner with his wife. I'm not going to worry about what I eat tonight.

Still done my Qigong, but my other half is taking Max for his run today. I have a ton of work to do. Tomorrow, I will go for an epic walk again.

Have a great day, nerds!

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh. That sounds like a tough day.

It wasn't, really. Everything is still very raw, but it was great to eat curry, and reminisce. His little girl was very excited, because they're off on their first holiday together this morning.

Here's an interesting thing. After we left, I went and bought a load of strong beer. My instinct was to get hammered. But then I got home, and I thought about how much better I feel for having done all this extra walking and qigong and thinking and recording my progress here. And then I realised if I had a hangover the next day, I wouldn't want to do any of it. So the bag full of beer is now next to me, undrunk by the sofa. It's my birthday next month. Maybe I'll drink some then.

I have a really big goal with my bike fitness. I'm sick of making excuses for not being able to do any of this stuff anymore.

• Like 1

That sounds like a great reward bag to me, hit your goals then treat yourself - in moderation of course.

Is that the UK Peak district? If so there's some lovely riding around there it's a fantastic part of the world. I'm interested in hearing more about your bike goals, it sounds like our battle logs could follow a similar theme.  With your previous fitness levels you'll be flying in no time.

4 hours ago, RouleurBaby said:

Is that the UK Peak district? If so there's some lovely riding around there it's a fantastic part of the world. I'm interested in hearing more about your bike goals, it sounds like our battle logs could follow a similar theme.  With your previous fitness levels you'll be flying in no time.

It is! I am in between Derby and Matlock. Hills though!

My main fitness goal is to do a 400km Audax ride this time next year without killing myself. I don't care about racing, I just want to be able to manage the distance and stay comfortable (well, as comfortable as one can be on a road bike for 248 miles). I love the feeling of riding. It's the closest thing to having wings under your feet.

I am now at the stage of building my confidence so I can ride in traffic again, and not hurting myself. Old me would probably have pushed a bit harder, but I am worried if I go too far I'll hurt myself. I'm just doing a bit every day, and managing the rest of my existence. Enough sleep, not too much stress. Last time, I had to give up because the rest of my life was a mess. I'm much more self-aware now.

You're a long way ahead of me so far. But I will catch up. Who knows, maybe one day we will meet on the road. It's good to hear from you!

• Like 1

I did a 24 hour ride in 2018. The first 100 miles were easy, the second were killer. I quit when I hit my minimum goal of 200. Which was good enough for 10th place.

I’m old school, I think the best thing you can do is just keep putting in miles.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Ahh I'm from Yorkshire but I know that area pretty well. That's a great goal, a challenge for sure but a great goal to focus on. I couldn't even begin to imagine riding a bike for so long! Slow and steady will win that 'race' and slow and steady will get you back flying in no time I'm sure. Take it easy, focus on you and let the miles flow naturally. I suppose again I'm not too disimilar to you, I'm not trying to suggest my life away from the bike is anything like yours but I often find my riding time thwarted by outside pressures - mine is just work and family related stress and pressures.

Sloth, fantastic achievement. Again, I couldn't even fantasise riding a bike for 24 hours or 200m. Amazing achievement.

• Like 1

Unexpected benefit no. 1: The cumulative effects decent sleep, gentle exercise and a better diet have left me feeling far better able to cope with things in the rest of my life.

I nailed work yesterday. Normally, I have to stop halfway through the day for a lunchtime nap (I would be so unemployable if I ever wanted to work for other people), but yesterday I just went through. Much better focus, but I'll be double checking my drafts in a couple of hours. I think I did well.

Anyway, just the usual today. 4 mile walk, qigong.

I have to go down south for some clients that can't use phones. My first non-socially distanced Will instruction since March! I don't miss driving to people's houses at all but when you have to, you have to. Working online over Zoom has changed my life massively.

I'll be sleeping in my campervan on my dad's drive. When I am there, I'm going to pick up my bike, ready for my next challenge.

Exciting times!

• Like 1

I've been going to classes on and off for a couple of years. At the minute I do 1:1 sessions with my teacher on Zoom.

My advice is to find a teacher. As you've found, there is a lot of variability in the quality of Youtube videos. Someone has to watch you and guide you when you start really.

This is flawless; in the absence of a teacher, it is probably the best resource. But you just can't learn all the nuances unless someone shows you and explains the background of each movement.

• Like 1

I drove down south last night. One of the things I noticed is that now I'm not eating sugary food, I didn't need to stop for my usual nap in a layby. I arrived here at about 3AM.

Feeling it today a bit, but it's worth it.

Some boring work stuff, then I took my bike out of storage. I put some air in the tyres, and I was off!

First thoughts:

1. It wants a new cassette. In a previous incarnation, I built some super strong wheels for someone of my weight (they have ceramic rims and would be strong enough for a tandem), but I've never fitted them.
  2. I bought that saddle a couple of years ago thinking it was cheaper than a Brooks but would probably be as good. It really isn't. I may need to treat myself to a proper Brooks.
  3. New sorts of stiffness going up hills. I have a steep learning curve.

I loved every minute of it!

Here's my bike looking purposeful. It's a Rudge Bi-Frame. Very cool, ridiculously heath robinson. The only folding bike that doesn't have a ridiculously low weight limit.IMG_20200730_143358.jpg?variant=small

• Like 2

This is going to be the hottest day of the year so far.

I'm about to put on a polyester suit and tie. Eeeurgh.

Still, on the plus side, I've had  a lovely walk with my dad. About three miles before breakfast, in a little wood. There is much better woodland down south than there is here.

Then we walked up to Watership Down (the one the book is written about!). Countryside is much quieter here. I haven't seen anyone. Not even many rabbits. They obviously never read the book either.

Qigong, then breakfast. An appointment (which I am scared about, TBH, the first time I've seen someone in their house since March!), then back here to change, and I'm driving home.

• Like 2