2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I would have appreciated that article a lot more if it had given me a list of reliable brands... now I'm doubting and questioning my bottle of avocado oil!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Xena said:

Also, Connecticut is the "Nutmeg State" because "Yankee peddlers" used to sell fake nutmegs carved out of wood. Make sure your spices are legit peeps!

If they aren't I will be too busy being devastated by the fact that Penzey's lied to me, to worry about what exactly it is I've been eating... 😛 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

As late as the early 20th century, spice merchants used to cut black pepper with black gravel or sand.

So the upside is at least we've made some progress.

Kinda makes me glad I grind peppercorns at home.

10 minutes ago, Xena said:

Regarding the fish fraud, that makes for kind of a popular activity in genetics lab. The prof gets a bunch of fish and the students test whether or not it is the species it's labelled as.

Also, Connecticut is the "Nutmeg State" because "Yankee peddlers" used to sell fake nutmegs carved out of wood. Make sure your spices are legit peeps!

https://www.wnpr.org/post/what-nutmegger

Come to think of it, I have never seen a whole nutmeg in person.

8 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I would have appreciated that article a lot more if it had given me a list of reliable brands... now I'm doubting and questioning my bottle of avocado oil!

That discussion is where I first found out about the avocado oil situation. 

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

If they aren't I will be too busy being devastated by the fact that Penzey's, to worry about what exactly it is I've been eating... 😛 

What is Penzey's?

• Like 1
On 8/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Penzeys Spices

Aside from enjoying their products and the recipes they include with each purchase, they make political statements and donations to causes I agree with. :) 

It's always nice when something you like is run by good people.

23 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm a Penzeys fan too 🙂

Another good vote for them.

Today is a good day. We had a good time watching church as a family, then ordered lunch. We played around with the baby in the afternoon, then I took her up to her room to play for a while so Sra. Tanque could do some prep for next week. I came down to make dinner, which was awesome. It was a steak salad. 

I bought some balsamic glaze specifically for this meal. I had a couple of flank steaks (really only needed one, but hey, bonus steak), and brushed the balsamic glaze on each side along with Himalayan Pink Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper, and dried oregano. I let that sit for twenty minutes to let the salt do it's magic. I set the grill to medium and let it warm up. 3 minutes a side made a beautiful steak. I let that sit then cut it up to bite size. 

I made a dressing from 3 tbsp glaze, 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp mustard, salt, and pepper. I chopped a couple of heads of green leaf lettuce and put that in the bowl with the dressing. I then added a drained can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano. I then added plenty of shredded Parmesan. Finally I added the steak and tossed the salad. I also warmed some mini-baguettes* in the oven. It was incredible.

*They are frozen. You let them sit on the counter for fifteen minutes, then pop them in a 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's always nice when something you like is run by good people.

Yes, it is.  If I remember correctly, Penzeys hails from Minneapolis. They made strong statements after George Floyd was murdered, and again after the recent travesty in Kenosha. I need spices anyway... I might as well buy them from good people.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yes, it is.  If I remember correctly, Penzeys hails from Minneapolis. They made strong statements after George Floyd was murdered, and again after the recent travesty in Kenosha. I need spices anyway... I might as well buy them from good people.

Sounds good to me.

Today has been a day. I did some good stretches before work. At work I had the hardest visit of my career so far. Obviously I can't go into details, but it was an hour and a half long and I picked up secondary traumatic stress from it. I was ok during the visit, but walking back to the office hit me just how f'ed up the things we discussed were. I decompressed with coworkers and eventually decided to take the rest of the day off. I went to a local park and sat by an artificial waterfall for a while, but not long because it was hot and I was dressed professionally. I came home and played with the baby and let my mother in law leave early, then when Sra. Tanque came home we ordered pizza. I still was dealing with that visit so I called the employee assistance program and talked about the visit and my impressions. That was what I needed. I didn't go into the detail that was told to me, but I gave a concise version of the narrative I was given. Speaking it out loud took away a lot of it's power. I also got authorized for some therapy visits, which I will probably use later. I feel relieved, and a wrung-out kind of tired.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

At work I had the hardest visit of my career so far. Obviously I can't go into details, but it was an hour and a half long and I picked up secondary traumatic stress from it. I was ok during the visit, but walking back to the office hit me just how f'ed up the things we discussed were. I decompressed with coworkers and eventually decided to take the rest of the day off.

I'm glad you have co-workers you can decompress with when something like this happens. I'm also glad you have access to therapy visits when days like this hit you, and that you have a job that allows you to take the day off when you need to.

And especially glad you are wise enough to take advantage of these self-care tools and use them when you need them. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Like 2

You did exactly the right thing seeking out all the support. It's why it's there - professional caregivers need those services and you were very smart to not delay and exhaust all your options on the first day. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, RES said:

That sounds like a day...I'm glad you took the steps you needed to in order to take care of yourself. 

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the tough day.Thank you for being there for the people who were hurting. Praying for you and for the people you counseled

I appreciate that.

11 hours ago, fleaball said:

Oof. Glad you had those resources available to you and were able to take advantage of them. ❤️

Yeah, I was wanting to call the helpline most of the day.

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm glad you have co-workers you can decompress with when something like this happens. I'm also glad you have access to therapy visits when days like this hit you, and that you have a job that allows you to take the day off when you need to.

And especially glad you are wise enough to take advantage of these self-care tools and use them when you need them. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Thank you. I had been rehearsing the call (to the EAP) in my mind, and really wanted to get the story out.

9 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm sorry that you had such a rough day. But I'm glad that you have the resources to not lose yourself.

It's nice having them.

7 hours ago, deftona said:

You did exactly the right thing seeking out all the support. It's why it's there - professional caregivers need those services and you were very smart to not delay and exhaust all your options on the first day. 

I agree. Yesterday afternoon and evening was about self-care. It felt VERY good to call the EAP and get that stuff off my chest, I felt a physical sense of relief once I told the story. I also very deliberately made myself a cup of herbal tea as a symbol of self care after the call. 

After a decent night's sleep (I could have gone to bed an hour earlier, but no point worrying now) and all the self care the day before I feel better. It's good to get that stuff off your chest as soon as possible. Saying it out loud takes away a lot of it's power. Especially with Traumatic stress (including secondary stress), the sooner you talk about it and get validated the less likely you are to have that stress linger.

• Like 10

I had some years where I worked as a social worker and I completely get what you are writing about. I wasn't as smart as you back then and only now I understand that reacting like you did is the smart and responsible way to go. We "helpers" should learn this in UNI!!!!!

Big hug! ❤️

• Like 3
9 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I had some years where I worked as a social worker and I completely get what you are writing about. I wasn't as smart as you back then and only now I understand that reacting like you did is the smart and responsible way to go. We "helpers" should learn this in UNI!!!!!

Big hug! ❤️

Thanks. The helping professions are rife with people who haven't quite figured out self-care.

Today is a good day. I did two rounds of the KB workout with the 20lb bell. Work went way better. No major earth shattering visits, and I was feeling much better. For dinner I made sweet potato hash.

I cut 7 strips of bacon into small pieces and stir fried them, removing them from the pan when done. Into the grease I dumped 20 oz of diced sweet potatoes, and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and white wine vinegar. When they were done I removed them, then cooked some venison chorizo (Mexican style, not Spanish) with some diced red bell pepper. When that was done I added the bacon and sweet potato back in along with some smoked paprika. I then wilted about 10 oz of baby spinach into it all. Finally, I added in some eggs which I scrambled in the magic bullet with milk and garlic powder. When it was all cooked I served it up. It was heavenly. 

• Like 9
39 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

What's the difference between the Mexican style and the Spanish chorizo?

Mexican style is meant to be cooked as ground meat, whereas Spanish style is put in casings and dried.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-mexican-and-spanish-chorizo-word-of-mouth-207326

There are enough Europeans on here I thought I'd better differentiate. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Mexican style is meant to be cooked as ground meat, whereas Spanish style is put in casings and dried.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-mexican-and-spanish-chorizo-word-of-mouth-207326

I think I've always had the Mexican.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think the only time I have ever had the Mexican variety was when we had tacos together in SA.  I was expecting the link style ones but they were plenty delicious

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think I've always had the Mexican.

Most likely. The Spanish version is more expensive here than over there.

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Speaking as a Mexican, that's obviously the better choice :P 

For what we were having, it certainly was. Charcuterie boards however...

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think the only time I have ever had the Mexican variety was when we had tacos together in SA.  I was expecting the link style ones but they were plenty delicious

That particular place has the best chorizo in town IMHO.

37 minutes ago, Emma said:

True dat.

It's one of the reasons there is so much burnout in social work.

• Like 7

Thanks Tank, it’s nice to hear about a hard situation handled so well. I hope you’re doing as okay as can be and very glad you had that support available. 

Two pages back you were talking about a parenting class (which sounded great!) and I thought you would appreciate the writing of Janet Lansbury. It has always helped me with some reminders of how we want to do things. Linking a random article;

https://www.janetlansbury.com/2012/11/tantrums-and-meltdowns-my-secret-for-staying-calm-when-my-kids-arent/

• Like 1