8 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

you sure are a cooking beast!!!! ❤️ Loving all your food descriptions! :)

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Terah said:

Hi :) 

Well Howdy! 🤠

Today is a good day. Little bit was up and down a lot last night with fever, something that started before we put her to bed. It kept going away with tylenol, but it kept coming back too. Sra. Tanque stayed home from work with her, calling the pediatrician. She was told if the fever persists tomorrow to go on in. There aren't really any other symptoms. As a result, I did some stretching in the morning but elected to move Kettlebells till tomorrow when I'm hopefully more rested. When I got home from work I made a really simple meal. I cooked some chopped chicken thighs in avocado oil. When they were done, I added steamed broccoli florets and a couple of cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup, stirred, and let it cook for a bit. I added some shredded cheese for good measure. I served it over microwave brown rice. It was really good. This was a victory because we normally order food on Mondays, but this recipe was so quick and easy I was eager to make it.

• Like 10

Today is a good day. Little Bit only woke once in the night, and no fever. We are still tired of course. Before work I got in a KB workout, two full rounds with the 20 pound bell. I elected not to start a third. I'm gonna wait till I don't feel completely gassed by the two rounds before starting on the third. When I got home I didn't feel like cooking, so we are currently waiting on delivery.

• Like 8

Today is a good day. I got some stretches in in the morning. Little bit was fussy in the afternoon. We think she is still teething and she has apparently hit another developmental milestone, with the accompanying fussiness. I was really tired when Sra. Tanque got home, and didn't want to cook, but Sra. Tanque was very supportive and did a few things that were feeling like mental blocks (emptied and reloaded the dishwasher) so I went ahead and cooked. 

I boiled some "Vegetable" rotini, which is rotini with vegetable flour mixed in with the wheat flour, drained it, and put it back into the pot in which it had boiled. In a skillet I cooked four strips of bacon I had chopped and set them aside. In that same skillet I cooked some pork chops I cut up with kitchen shears like I do for chicken thighs (and splashed some bacon grease on the back of my right hand. Pretty minor burn, but it has a constant annoying painful sensation that hasn't faded yet. To the chops I added salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When that was done I added the chops and the bacon to the pasta. Next in the skillet (now holding grease from both the bacon and the chops) I cooked some chopped yellow squash and zucchini, adding salt, pepper, garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar. For good measure, I added some balsamic vinegar into the meat and pasta. When the veggies were cooked I put everything (including any liquid not absorbed by the gourds) in with the meat and pasta, and added some fresh chopped basil. It was awesome.

• Like 9
On 8/23/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I believe you about the ER story, some folks just don't have a clue. I always knew I wanted to be a laid back parent. Right when Little Bit was born we had a really good small group at church on parenting. It was so helpful, and very in line with what kind of parents we want to be. It was curriculum from a church in Alabama called Church of the Highlands, a church which gives it's materials for free to other churches. It was very much a non-legalistic style. The pastor said they had two rules for their children: honesty and honor. The kids were expected to tell the truth, and be respectful to others. Rules were explained, rather than enforced. In other words, they would not say, "Don't leave the shopping cart in the parking lot." They would say, "We return the shopping cart to the corral where it belongs because otherwise people can't park, their cars get dinged, and the people who put the carts back in front of the store have to do extra work. We honor and respect people by doing our part." The pastor said it's a lot of extra work up front, but applied consistently leads to a lot less heartache further down the line. Consequences for misbehavior are about restoration of relationship, rather than punishment. He told an example of a teenager who had said something horribly disrespectful to his mother. The consequence was he had to, with his own money, take his mother out to an expensive restaurant and apologize to her over the meal. The point was as quickly as possible to restore the relationship.

Discipline is a focus early on, then from about five to twelve they advocate an education model "This is why we do what we do" then a coaching model from the teen years onward. 

There is of course more to it than that but I hope I've conveyed the gist of the idea.

Should I ever have kids, I'm taking your advice!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Should I ever have kids, I'm taking your advice!

I think it's a great paradigm. 

5 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

He Tank i heard something about a hurricane in Texas. Please let me know if you and your family are okay!

We are fine, not even in the projected path. We are far enough inland that hurricanes rarely threaten us. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 8

Today is a good day. I woke up with a Migraine a little before I normally wake up. I took the migraine medicine I have, which works well, and went back to bed. It takes about 30 minutes for the medicine to kick in, and I was able to snooze that long. I felt ok, and a few hours later took the second dose (you are allowed two in a day, at least two hours apart). I also took some ibuprofen because along with the migraine, I had a bad tension headache. My jaws were so tight it hurt when I chewed on a snack mid morning. I took a nap with little bit in my recliner, and by the time that was over I felt better. We had lunch together, and I even gave her a bath in the afternoon. She had a second nap in the afternoon, which was great. Dinner was roasted salmon. I took some salmon filets, seasoned the skin side with salt and pepper, and put them on a greased baking sheet skin side down, then seasoned the top with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I baked it at 425 for 10 minutes, topped it with parmesan and parsley, and put it back in for five. I also roasted some asparagus on a second pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and white wine vinegar. I also had some microwave mashed potatoes. It was very good. I did some stretches before typing this so I wouldn't have to say I didn't do anything fitnessy today. 

• Like 10
22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm glad that migraine was put back in its place. Sounds like the second half was really good!

It really was.

18 hours ago, deftona said:

I really feel for you with all these migraines :( 

Thanks. Now that I have meds, they aren't the day stoppers they once were. I'm also getting more adept at telling what kind of headaches are which.

Today is a good day. My MIL wasn't feeling well, so my own mother came in to help with the baby. I did the KB workout, stopping in the middle of the swings on the second round. I was totally gassed, so I'm happy with the workout. I enjoyed spending time with my mom and the baby. They were having a lot of fun together. I made lunch, which was very good. I started with some brown rice in the bottom of the bowl (already cooked), some green beans on the side, then topped the rice with the entree I made.

I chopped up some chicken thighs and cooked them in avocado oil with salt, pepper, garlic powder and white wine vinegar. I removed some of the liquid part way through as there was too much for the chicken to cook the way I wanted. When it was done I removed it, added some more oil, then cooked a good bit of garlic for a couple minutes, then added chicken broth and heavy cream. I let that cook till it reduced down some, then added a bunch of parmesan and chopped sundried tomatoes. I stirred that for a bit, then added the chicken back in, stirred to coat and served it over the rice, topping it with some fresh chopped basil.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I chopped up some chicken thighs and cooked them in avocado oil with salt, pepper, garlic powder and white wine vinegar. I removed some of the liquid part way through as there was too much for the chicken to cook the way I wanted. When it was done I removed it, added some more oil, then cooked a good bit of garlic for a couple minutes, then added chicken broth and heavy cream. I let that cook till it reduced down some, then added a bunch of parmesan and chopped sundried tomatoes. I stirred that for a bit, then added the chicken back in, stirred to coat and served it over the rice, topping it with some fresh chopped basil.

Mmmm, yummy. 

I have noticed that you do a lot of your cooking with avocado oil, and I am curious why? Your thread inspired me to buy a bottle, but before I had a chance to experiment over-much, the Great Kitchen Flood of 20202 happened. Any pointers or tips and tricks you'd care to share?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Mmmm, yummy. 

I have noticed that you do a lot of your cooking with avocado oil, and I am curious why? Your thread inspired me to buy a bottle, but before I had a chance to experiment over-much, the Great Kitchen Flood of 20202 happened. Any pointers or tips and tricks you'd care to share?

I use avocado oil because the smoke point is very high (500 degrees or more). Be careful what you buy, apparently a lot of avocado oil is fake. Apparently Chosen Foods is the only brand available nationwide that passes most tests. If I'm cooking something east Asian, I often use sesame oil. For South Asian I often used Coconut Oil (also a high smoke point). I tend to only use olive oil in dressings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I use avocado oil because the smoke point is very high (500 degrees or more). Be careful what you buy, apparently a lot of avocado oil is fake. Apparently Chosen Foods is the only brand available nationwide that passes most tests. If I'm cooking something east Asian, I often use sesame oil. For South Asian I often used Coconut Oil (also a high smoke point). I tend to only use olive oil in dressings. 

A lot of olive oils are fake too. The only one I use is California Olive Ranch because it is actually olive oil. Most of the common "imported from Italy" brands are mostly sunflower or canola oil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You don’t have bacon grease in Texas?

I have a jar full of it in my fridge. I use it for certain things (breakfasty things mostly).

8 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

A lot of olive oils are fake too. The only one I use is California Olive Ranch because it is actually olive oil. Most of the common "imported from Italy" brands are mostly sunflower or canola oil.

Our local grocery store has its own brand of things I trust (including their avocado and olive oils). They say their good olive oil actually comes from Spain instead of Italy.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

WHAT? This is terrible! This is an emergency! We need a royal commission into this. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Wait. So when it says "Ingredients: Olive oil" on the label, that's a lie? Because I'm reasonably certain there are laws against falsifying ingredients.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

WHAT? This is terrible! This is an emergency! We need a royal commission into this.

Don't bring The Queen into this scandal, she has more than enough on her hands with Prince Andrew.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Wait. So when it says "Ingredients: Olive oil" on the label, that's a lie? Because I'm reasonably certain there are laws against falsifying ingredients.

Realizing I was working off info from several years ago from a news story I heard so I looked it up.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/olive-foil/

A lot of olive oils labelled as Extra virgin, don't meet the criteria, and there are a few other issues like that.

Cutting extra virgin with soy/sunflower oil was/is? a shady business practice among a lot of common brands labelled "Made in Italy" which the EU and the Italian government have investigated and attempted to regulate more carefully since. The "olive oil -- adulteration" entry on wikipedia explains much of this.

• Like 3

Fish fraud is a huge problem too. A bunch of investigations were done on fish last year here, and they found anywhere from 20-50% of fish in restaurants and stores were not the species listed on the label. I doubt that other countries are doing significantly better.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Harriet said:

The problem is it's an international issue.

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

There are laws. It's also very hard (read: costs money) to verify the claims on ingredient labels, and most countries focus their food regulation on safety, rather than fight fraud. 

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Don't bring The Queen into this scandal, she has more than enough on her hands with Prince Andrew.

Rather.

56 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

Realizing I was working off info from several years ago from a news story I heard so I looked it up.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/olive-foil/

A lot of olive oils labelled as Extra virgin, don't meet the criteria, and there are a few other issues like that.

Cutting extra virgin with soy/sunflower oil was/is? a shady business practice among a lot of common brands labelled "Made in Italy" which the EU and the Italian government have investigated and attempted to regulate more carefully since. The "olive oil -- adulteration" entry on wikipedia explains much of this.

And from June of this year, an article on Avocado oil:
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/business/82-percent-of-avocado-oil-adulterated-mislabeled-or-poor-quality-study-finds/83502

Remember too, organized crime has a lot to do with olive oil importation. There's a reason Mari Puzo wrote about the Correleone family running an olive oil business in The Godfather.

20 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Fish fraud is a huge problem too. A bunch of investigations were done on fish last year here, and they found anywhere from 20-50% of fish in restaurants and stores were not the species listed on the label. I doubt that other countries are doing significantly better.

I remember hearing about that.

Today is a good day. In addition to stirring up resentment about food fraud, I got some stretches done in the morning. I actually got to spend time with my family before I had to get ready for work, which was nice. Lunch was very good. I roasted brussel sprouts and red potatoes that I had cut in half, then seasoned with olive oil (I hope ;)), salt, pepper, minced garlic, and white wine vinegar. Into the oven for 30 minutes at 450 degrees. They came out well, though some of the bigger potatoes were just a little underdone. The main dish was chicken thighs chopped and cooked in avocado oil (I'm reasonably sure :P) with salt, pepper, a "Greek Seasoning" mix, and white wine vinegar. Once it was done I topped it with a sauce I made from feta, yogurt, fresh chopped dill, minced garlic, and lemon juice. I love me a good dill-yogurt sauce.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Regarding the fish fraud, that makes for kind of a popular activity in genetics lab. The prof gets a bunch of fish and the students test whether or not it is the species it's labelled as.

Also, Connecticut is the "Nutmeg State" because "Yankee peddlers" used to sell fake nutmegs carved out of wood. Make sure your spices are legit peeps!

https://www.wnpr.org/post/what-nutmegger

• Like 2