Jump to content

WhiteGhost Actually Has Goals This Time


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

before I got started, I tried out the wall slider exercises that @PaulG and @Vidd were discussing.  I should definitely be doing more of them. After that I did some Cirque Physio shoulder stuff and then got up against the wall to try some stuff that I found on youtube.  


Glad you’re getting something out of those wall slides. It’s been a long time since I posted the video of my handstand form, but that super-flat back I was so proud of was all wall slides. 
 

The last few months have really taught me the value of low-intensity strength exercises (with wide ROMs) for mobility, that’s why I moved my hamstring work to focus around straight-leg RDLs.
 

Those. Handstands. Look. Awesome! The videos of you against a wall looks like a significantly different form from that last video of you freestanding, when you were messing around with pikes. I’m curious how much of that was the mobility prep work you did before your wall work, and how much was just having a wall to help with balance, leaving you to focus on scapular elevation. Either way, it looks like continuing to work on that lower-level work at the edge of your shoulder ROM would really cement that new mobility.
 

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For dinner I wanted to try out some of the Thai curry pastes that we ordered, so I used the recipe on the back of the green curry packet and gave that a go...  I probably should have used a different real recipe for the curry because it came out really spicy and watery.


Those peaches look bomb BTW. So does the pineapple fried rice, I’ve never made that before!

 

Your comments on that curry are throwing me back to the first eight or so curries I made.

 

I checked the recipe on the back of the green curry paste can in my pantry just to see... there’s no mention of any seasoning, no salt or sugar, nuthin.
 

I had almost forgotten, but when I was first starting out with Thai food, the first several curries I made were very much the same. Thai curries are a great exercise in how to season a sauce by taste.

 

Thai curry paste is just another way of frying alliums and herbs when you make a sauce. It’s pounded into a paste, but that’s the only difference between it and the onions/spices in a tikka masala, or the garlic/sofrito/red pepper in an Italian sauce, or the ginger/garlic/spices in a hongshao rou.

 

All those dishes need extra ingredients. Those ingredients provide salt, sweetness and acid to balance all those spices and aromatics and make them pop. Thai curry is no different. It’s hard to taste much if you just have a lot of spice/herb flavors mixed into coconut milk, but good seasoning will bring them out so they really hit your palate. (Plus, sweetness and acid both pull down perception of chile heat a bit.)
 

Thai curries have a couple of traditional sources of those flavors: fish sauce for salt, palm sugar for sweetness, and tamarind paste for acid. You could use slab sugar or rock sugar for sweetness, and lime juice for acid (though limes and tamarinds have a big flavor difference, so I’d go for the tamarind in particular if you can).

 

The best recipes will give you a decent guide as to amounts of each to use. At the end of the day tho, everyone is using slightly different curry paste, so it’ll be down to you to grab a tasting spoon and adjust until you like it.
 

Leela’s recipes always have seasoning amounts that tasted really good to me — plus she usually gives a description of how it should taste, which I find really helpful. I usually use her amounts as a starting point (with fish sauce edged down because my preferred curry paste tends to run very salty), and then I taste and go from there.

 

As far as “curried beef” — that = feature, not bug in my book. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so i caught up.

 

Mostly...

 

And i have at least one thing to say:

 

German sausages are the worst.

 

So, now that we got that over with. I also would really like to learn how to make sausages. The problem is my wife is a pretty picky meat eater. So most of the meat i conjure up i have to eat myself sometimes the kids help with that, especially our little girl is a meatdevourer. But also, ordering all kind of stuff, well meat is pretty expensive (at least over here) and i already have a few hobbies that cost a lot.

 

So i'm gonna be all over your thread, and make sure to document the process as good as possible!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

 

My brain is unable to process the concept of a fruit sausage

 

 

It's not a fruit sausage. A Kolache is a pastry with filling. Fruit traditionally was the filling, but in Texas we switched out the fruit for meat, because Texas.

2 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Okay so i caught up.

 

Mostly...

 

And i have at least one thing to say:

 

German sausages are the worst.

 

 

Just FYI, for that joke to work in written English you have to spell worst as wurst.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PaulG said:

I’m curious how much of that was the mobility prep work you did before your wall work, and how much was just having a wall to help with balance, leaving you to focus on scapular elevation.

I'm not sure, but I suspect it was primarily driven by other overhead mobility work I have been working on (including cirque physio stuff and German hangs) that got me ready.  I doubt one day of wall sliders was a significant contributor.  Not having to worry about balancing was also super important for the proprioception part, but I was able to replicate the form away from the wall, so it is hard to tell just how much of a contributing factor it was.  Whatever the reason, I was very pleasantly surprised with the newfound mobility. 

 

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

So does the pineapple fried rice, I’ve never made that before!

Have you had it much?  I absolutely love the stuff and will get it pretty much every time I eat Thai food.  This was the first time I have been able to make it approximately the right flavor, and that is due in large part to the inspiration I got from following your Thai adventures.  I actually went out and bought the required ingredients rather than trying to just approximate with substitutions.

 

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

I had almost forgotten, but when I was first starting out with Thai food, the first several curries I made were very much the same. Thai curries are a great exercise in how to season a sauce by taste.

 

Thai curry paste is just another way of frying alliums and herbs when you make a sauce. It’s pounded into a paste, but that’s the only difference between it and the onions/spices in a tikka masala, or the garlic/sofrito/red pepper in an Italian sauce, or the ginger/garlic/spices in a hongshao rou.

 

All those dishes need extra ingredients. Those ingredients provide salt, sweetness and acid to balance all those spices and aromatics and make them pop. Thai curry is no different. It’s hard to taste much if you just have a lot of spice/herb flavors mixed into coconut milk, but good seasoning will bring them out so they really hit your palate. (Plus, sweetness and acid both pull down perception of chile heat a bit.)
 

Thai curries have a couple of traditional sources of those flavors: fish sauce for salt, palm sugar for sweetness, and tamarind paste for acid. You could use slab sugar or rock sugar for sweetness, and lime juice for acid (though limes and tamarinds have a big flavor difference, so I’d go for the tamarind in particular if you can).

 

The best recipes will give you a decent guide as to amounts of each to use. At the end of the day tho, everyone is using slightly different curry paste, so it’ll be down to you to grab a tasting spoon and adjust until you like it.
 

Leela’s recipes always have seasoning amounts that tasted really good to me — plus she usually gives a description of how it should taste, which I find really helpful. I usually use her amounts as a starting point (with fish sauce edged down because my preferred curry paste tends to run very salty), and then I taste and go from there.

All very useful information, thanks!  I bought a pack of 5 different curry pastes, so I will experiment with some of the others over the course of this challenge :) 

 

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

As far as “curried beef” — that = feature, not bug in my book. :D

I wasn't complaining, it was absolutely delicious :) 

 

13 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Following! 

Welcome!

 

12 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

So, now that we got that over with. I also would really like to learn how to make sausages. The problem is my wife is a pretty picky meat eater. So most of the meat i conjure up i have to eat myself sometimes the kids help with that, especially our little girl is a meatdevourer. But also, ordering all kind of stuff, well meat is pretty expensive (at least over here) and i already have a few hobbies that cost a lot.

 

So i'm gonna be all over your thread, and make sure to document the process as good as possible!

Ah, thanks for the reminder.  I will make sure to provide documentation as I go along.  My hog casings should be arriving today, so I will probably be doing my first experimental run this week.

 

11 hours ago, sylph said:

Home renovation is super exciting! Sucks to not have access to your kitchen/cabinets/whatnot while it's happening but the end result is usually so worth it!

The renovation work this time will be limited to the living room, so hopefully we won't be impacted much for other things.  It shouldn't bee too much work because it will just be removing a face fireplace and the surrounding flooring, and maybe adding in another heater/radiator thingy.

 

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's not a fruit sausage. A Kolache is a pastry with filling. Fruit traditionally was the filling, but in Texas we switched out the fruit for meat, because Texas

Ah, that makes more sense.

 

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
12 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

German sausages are the worst.

 

 

Just FYI, for that joke to work in written English you have to spell worst as wurst.

 Thank you for the clarification, I missed the joke and thought @Mr_Willes just hated German sausage :D 

 

----------------------------

 

Yesterday I was again feeling pretty sleep from staying up late after the Guild Leaders call to chat with @darkfoxx and commiserate about that Expat Life.  Even so, I still got up and got in a workout because I ran out of excuses.  I focused almost exclusively on handstand pushups but I just couldn't get anywhere near the reps or depth that I was getting last week. I was really confused about it for a while until I came to a very important realization: @@mu was right!  The stuff I was doing last week was with a banana position which makes the HSPU primarily a lat and tricep exercise, similar to incline pushups.  Yesterday I was doing it with a much straighter back so I couldn't get as much recruitment from the lats and had to rely primarily on my delts, like a regular overhead press.  The position of the back makes them almost like two completely different exercises, which I think is exactly what @mu was trying to tell me a few challenges ago :D   It wasn't too bad, though and I was able to get a 2 consecutive reps at 1.5 blocks once during that workout.

 

In the afternoon I played a bunch of Skyrim until it was time to make dinner.  Dinner was chicken tikka marsala, with @deftona's naan and it was freaking amazing.  Well, the chicken was decent but the naan was mindblowingly delicious.  So soft and flavorful!  Ghostlet gave it the highest level of praise possible for him - he asked if we can have it for breakfast every day :D 

 

 

I still had more dough leftover so I decided to see if it would make a good bread.  However, I made a huge unforced error and stuffed it into a breadpan and threw it in the oven without giving it a chance to rise again.  It came out tasting OK, but super dense.  Also, I was originally planning to make two loaves so I greased up two bread pans but the dough for this was only enough for one loaf so I had a leftover pan that was all greased and ready and I couldn't let that go to waste, so I made a batch of soda bread from the recipe @RisenPhoenix shared and it was absolutely phenomenal as well.  Gostess smelled it as soon as it was finished and ripped off a bug hunk before I could even get a picture, so I had to manage the angles very carefully when taking these

 

  This one also got super high praise.  Ghostess doesn;t normally even like bread but she commented that if she wasn't trying to be low carb right now, this loaf would never see the light of dawn :D 

  • Like 12
  • That's Metal 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

so I made a batch of soda bread from the recipe @RisenPhoenix shared and it was absolutely phenomenal as well.  Gostess smelled it as soon as it was finished and ripped off a bug hunk before I could even get a picture, so I had to manage the angles very carefully when taking these

 

 A few things I learned from making that recipe a bunch:

  • Soak the oats about an hour, mixing occasionally
  • Adding maple syrup as the sugar source is even better than the honey.  It adds an extra layer of nuttiness when toasting the bread, and is amazing.
  • In a pinch, the milk can be subbed for almond milk, and I've also used condensed milk that was diluted.
  • The batter should be relatively wet when going into the pan, sort of like a banana bread.  So adding liquid is sometimes needed.  This happens often if I over-soak the oats and they absorb all the liquid.
  • I preheat the oven well before so everything is super hot when the batter is done.  Not sure if that helps the rising process, but I've (usually) obtained super high loaves that way.  I also might add a smidge more baking powder/soda.

 

But yea, the loaf is amazing and usually is taunting me for a while while I wait for it to cool enough to cut into.  I think the first time I made it I devoured half the loaf that day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ghostlet gave it the highest level of praise possible for him - he asked if we can have it for breakfast every day :D

 

My heart :D

 

Awesome food alchemy 😎

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So the food talk has gotten me to eat my curry chicken and  naan bread for dinner (really late dinner but still).

 

Also I wanted to submit my application for D&D assistance. Mind you, I've been playing Pathfinder so 5e is new for me. But I can help with Roll20 and am also interested in any other platforms.

 

So if you need me, just holler.

 

Keep cooking on all your goals!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The tikka masala and naan look SO GOOD! Recipes please! 🙏

The chicken I used this recipe and the naan was from this one from our own Deffy.  If you want the naan recipe you should probably copy it down somewhere because it probably will disappear when the next challenge rolls around

 

15 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Nice! And NF hive mind again: that’s exactly what I’ve talked DH into ordering for dinner tonight 😂

NF Hive Mind FTW! :D 

 

14 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

 

 A few things I learned from making that recipe a bunch:

  • Soak the oats about an hour, mixing occasionally
  • Adding maple syrup as the sugar source is even better than the honey.  It adds an extra layer of nuttiness when toasting the bread, and is amazing.
  • In a pinch, the milk can be subbed for almond milk, and I've also used condensed milk that was diluted.
  • The batter should be relatively wet when going into the pan, sort of like a banana bread.  So adding liquid is sometimes needed.  This happens often if I over-soak the oats and they absorb all the liquid.
  • I preheat the oven well before so everything is super hot when the batter is done.  Not sure if that helps the rising process, but I've (usually) obtained super high loaves that way.  I also might add a smidge more baking powder/soda.

 

But yea, the loaf is amazing and usually is taunting me for a while while I wait for it to cool enough to cut into.  I think the first time I made it I devoured half the loaf that day.

So I made this again last night and looking at the differences in the results compared to variances in the process, it looks like what you were saying tracks closely with my results.  More baking powder/soda is a definite plus, and I actually think it turns out better with a shorter soak time for the oats (I am using instant oats).  I made two loaves last night and woke up this morning with only one left :D 

 

14 hours ago, Aθena said:

 

My heart :D

 

Awesome food alchemy 😎

I rarely get any kind of positive reaction to new foods, so I was very happy :) 

 

12 hours ago, raptron said:

YAY BREAD. Also hi. Goals are neat.

Goals are good, but I think I may need an actual program to reach them :D 

 

42 minutes ago, Terinatum said:

So the food talk has gotten me to eat my curry chicken and  noon bread for dinner (really late dinner but still).

 

Also I wanted to submit my application for D&D assistance. Mind you, I've been playing Pathfinder so 5e is new for me. But I can help with Roll20 and am also interested in any other platforms.

 

So if you need me, just holler.

 

Keep cooking on all your goals!

I hope you dinner was as yummy as mine was :) 

 

As for D&D help, I would love to pick your brain.  The stuff I am struggling with is not system specific, more about world building and more specifically campaign building tips and techniques.  I am probably going to build something into an existing world (most likely Forgotten Realms but maybe Wildemount) but I need to come with a level appropriate story.  I am not sure if I should build the story first and then try to slot the payers into it or have the players create characters and build the campaign around them.  Do you have any advice on that?

 

Also, how important is it to have maps for players to use?  I always think that more maps are better, but I am very intimidated by the idea of trying to create my own maps and finding what I like online is next to impossible.  What is your map strategy?

 

---------------------

 

Yesterday I was feeling pretty tired again from staying up until almost 2 for the 4th (5th?) night in a row.  I think I am going to have to add in a bedtime goal to this challenge.  I pretty much zoned out the entire morning but got in a workout in the afternoon.

 

My workout consisted of mostly handstands, but I also did a little bit of front level work, because it has been a while since I did those.  Some planche stuff happened as well.  For the handstands, I was trying to play around with my shoulders to see what my deal was there and noticed that my balance and shape is highly affected by how I put my shoulders.  If I lift up my head and arch may back then I am the most stable and can hold for quite a long time.  If I sag my shoulders or push up through my shoulders I lose all ability to balance and I just topple right over.  However, I tried something new which was to push my shoulders forward (stick out my chest).  It forces me to pull my head in, which then also help me to straighten out my back.  As long as I can remember to keep my core tight, I can actually get a pretty good straight line handstand with reasonable balance time.  It really works my delts, though, much more than the arched back version.  

 

I made salmon steak and stir fried broccoli for dinner, and then because Ghostess wanted some more bread I made another batch.  It was good, but not as fluffy as the previous day, which I suspect is because the first time I accidentally put in almost double the baking soda that the recipe called for.  It was still pretty darn tasty though, and I ended up eating more than half a loaf before I made it to bed.  

 

I also stayed up pretty late chatting on Discord so once again didn't get to bed until around two.  Time to go update this challenge to include a sleep goal.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

Also, how important is it to have maps for players to use?  I always think that more maps are better, but I am very intimidated by the idea of trying to create my own maps and finding what I like online is next to impossible.  What is your map strategy?

When I played strictly with Pen and Paper (back when all the internet would do was help you print character sheets), we never used visual aids but just went of the DM's descriptions. The DMs we had were always good at describing things, so YMMV.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I like maps, but I don’t think they add a whole lot the game play if the DM is a decent storyteller. If the players are confused a quick napkin sketch is usually enough to get things going again.

What I really like are dungeon tiles, but those really slow down the game.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, WhiteGhost said:

The goal for this challenge is to get the materials I need and make a tasty sausage.

I would also love to learn the magic of sausagemaking, but without using pork the options are extremely limited. :(

 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Stretching: I don't expect that I will ever be very flexible, but I have noticed that I feel better after doing mobility exercises, especially toe touches.  For this challenge, I am going to aim for 50 toe touches* at least 5 days/week.   *I don't have to actually reach my toes

I'm game, but I'm also in two other games with you, so I understand if you would prefer new people.

 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Stretching: I don't expect that I will ever be very flexible, but I have noticed that I feel better after doing mobility exercises, especially toe touches.  For this challenge, I am going to aim for 50 toe touches* at least 5 days/week.   *I don't have to actually reach my toes

Hooray for flexy work! Did you measure where you were when you started to see your progress, or is it more of a just keeping in practice thing?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When I played strictly with Pen and Paper (back when all the internet would do was help you print character sheets), we never used visual aids but just went of the DM's descriptions. The DMs we had were always good at describing things, so YMMV.

That can always work assuming the DM has something to describe.  As the DM, I think it would be important to have good maps, even if they aren't getting shared.  I don't know the right balance between having everything mapped out and how much can just be imagination and description.

 

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Personally I like maps, but I don’t think they add a whole lot the game play if the DM is a decent storyteller. If the players are confused a quick napkin sketch is usually enough to get things going again.

What I really like are dungeon tiles, but those really slow down the game.

I am the opposite, I love maps because I can remember what I've seen much better than what I have only heard described.   

 

I had to look up dungeon tiles because I had never heard of them.  I would love those too!

 

39 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I would also love to learn the magic of sausagemaking, but without using pork the options are extremely limited. :(

You should check with @darkfoxx, she does non-pork sausage

 

40 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm game, but I'm also in two other games with you, so I understand if you would prefer new people.

I would be happy to have you in my group :) 

 

40 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Hooray for flexy work! Did you measure where you were when you started to see your progress, or is it more of a just keeping in practice thing?

I don't have any goals for this besides doing the thing.  This isn't intended to get me more flexible as much as it is to just stretch out my posterior chain to counteract all the sitting on the couch.

 

-----------------------------

 

Yesterday was another day of not doing much.  I seem to have those a lot recently.  I had a D&D game in the morning with my Saltmarsh crew, which was a lot of fun as always.  That group only does live sessions once a month (or less) so it is always a treat when we have those.  Deets in the spoiler at the end

 

In the afternoon, I had a real craving for ice cream so I made a trip over to the local Baskin Robins and picked up a half gallon or so.  I may have ended up having mostly ice cream for dinner.

 

I don't think there was anything else of note for the day.  I did get to bed by midnight, though, so that was an improvement.
 

Spoiler

 

The session started as we got on a boat with the strange captain who keeps sea spawn as her crew.  The trip was uneventful and we made it back to Saltmarsh without a problem.  We were worried that the island would try to keep us there, but I think we (as a group) have probably just seen too many episodes of Lost.   The captain dropped us off a ways out of town, which was not unusual seeing as we are all pirates and smugglers, so we had to make our way into town.  There was a group of guards watching the city and inspecting everyone's stuff so we wanted to avoid that.  My Goliath barbarian and our half elf sorcerer ( @juliebarkley) decided to go be a distraction while the other slipped around.  When the guards asked why we were coming into town, I told them about how we were stranded on an island with two identical lighthouses but one of them was broken (not true but my character thinks it is) and the guard was very confused.  He asked the sorcerer to confirm my story and she told him I was having fever dreams and needed rest, which was a total lie but the guard bought it and let us in. 

Once in town, we headed to a tavern to figure out when we were (we had been time traveling) but it turned out out that we exactly when we should have been, so that was a bit awkward for everyone who thought we were six years in the future.  We sold a bunch of our loot and discovered the properties of some other stuff and basically just spent the time getting our bearing s and information.  At the end of the evening, we decided to go visit the guy who gave us our job in the first place but he was meeting with the head of the city watch (a person we definitely wanted to avoid) so we left a note and planned to visit him again later.  

As we were planning to all go to our respective homes, I pulled the sorcerer aside and confronted her about saying I was having dreams, and also called out the bard ( @starsapart ) for telling the sea spawn captain that I hit my head and was confused because I didn't understand time time travel and they didn't want me talking about it.  Now that we were back in town in the rear time, I was feeling vindicated in my belief that we had not, in fact, time traveled at all.  

 

Special thanks to @Strickland5 for DMing for us

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I would also love to learn the magic of sausagemaking, but without using pork the options are extremely limited. :(

 

When I was much younger than I am now, my mother would make sausage with beef and lamb. She also often made sausage with moose, as that is the most commonly hunted forms of wild game in Sweden, and mixed it with beef to make it less dry.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

When I was much younger than I am now, my mother would make sausage with beef and lamb. She also often made sausage with moose, as that is the most commonly hunted forms of wild game in Sweden, and mixed it with beef to make it less dry.

I am intrigued. What were these sausages called?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

When I was much younger than I am now, my mother would make sausage with beef and lamb. She also often made sausage with moose, as that is the most commonly hunted forms of wild game in Sweden, and mixed it with beef to make it less dry.

I have had chicken, lamb and beef, but that's about it.  How were the moose ones?

 

2 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I am intrigued. What were these sausages called?

Moosages

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I am intrigued. What were these sausages called?

 

"Mom's homemade sausage"  :) 

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have had chicken, lamb and beef, but that's about it.  How were the moose ones?

 

Moose tastes like wild-raised red meat - sharper in flavor and lower in fat. That's why the fatty beef was added. The moose meat dominated the flavor though, so the moose sausage tended to have less spices and seasonings than the lamb sausage.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Personally I like maps, but I don’t think they add a whole lot the game play if the DM is a decent storyteller. If the players are confused a quick napkin sketch is usually enough to get things going again.

What I really like are dungeon tiles, but those really slow down the game.

I've only done a d&d game once but I know I'm geographically-challenged if I don't have some sort of map to know where the hell I am.

 

 

Man, the cored pineapple looked awesome. I've done something similar with a spaghetti squash.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, WhiteGhost said:

The chicken I used this recipe and the naan was from this one from our own Deffy.  If you want the naan recipe you should probably copy it down somewhere because it probably will disappear when the next challenge rolls around

Thank you kindly to you and Deffy both! I didn't realize I wanted Indian food until I saw that. :D Can't remember when I had Indian besides dahl.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Moose tastes like wild-raised red meat - sharper in flavor and lower in fat. That's why the fatty beef was added. The moose meat dominated the flavor though, so the moose sausage tended to have less spices and seasonings than the lamb sausage.

Hmm, so similar to elk or bison...  I suspect if we ate these foods more, we would have ways to describe the differences.

 

9 hours ago, Teros said:

I've only done a d&d game once but I know I'm geographically-challenged if I don't have some sort of map to know where the hell I am.

I feel the same way with books.  I have a fairly difficult time getting into the worlds of Brandon Sanderson books because although he is a fabulous writer, he does not do maps well.

 

9 hours ago, Teros said:

Man, the cored pineapple looked awesome. I've done something similar with a spaghetti squash.

Pineapple fried rice is such a common food here that I forget it isn't universal.  Around here it is always served that way.

 

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thank you kindly to you and Deffy both! I didn't realize I wanted Indian food until I saw that. :D Can't remember when I had Indian besides dahl.

I had to look up dahl because I hadn't ever heard of it.  It isn't a popular type of food here.

 

--------------------------

 

Yesterday was Sunday so we started out with our tele-church services as usual.  A lot of the members have asked if we can change over to Zoom or some other video based platform so last week I called up Zoom and talked to one of the sales people to get set up with a pro account.  In a surprise turn of events, the sales person refused to sell me one because she couldn't guarantee that I would be able to actually use the service.  Things are bad between China and the US right now, and apparently they expect it to get even worse in the near future.  The expectation is that Zoom US is very soon going to be getting shut down here completely and it will not be able to communicate with Zoom China platforms, essentially dividing them up into two completely independent companies from a platform perspective.  China based users already cannot view US based servers but very soon US based users won't be able to view China based servers.  This is a problem for us because our members are currently spread out all over the world.  Many of them fled China when the virus was only a China thing and are now unable to return now that it is an everywhere except China thing.  Other similar platforms all seem to be in similar situations. :( 

 

In the afternoon, Ghostlet and I played D&D via roll20 which was a lot of fun.  There were a few technical difficulties for the session but for the most part it went pretty well.  My paladin gets knocked out pretty much every single battle because even though he is supposed to be the meatshield for the party, he has rolled terribly for his HP at every level up so he is lower than the druid, the rogue and even the wizard.   I am looking forward to running the campaign with a but of NF nerds in the near future.

 

In the evening, Ghostess went on a house cleaning binge so I helped out with that.  I did make it to bed on time but failed to do my toe touches again.  That has been a surprisingly difficult habit to get into.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hmm, so similar to elk or bison...  I suspect if we ate these foods more, we would have ways to describe the differences.

 

It's very similar to elk, but with a bit more depth, if that makes sense. Bison, to me, tastes like rich beef, rather than wild game.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...