Xena is Restless

Xena

Zero week update: Week 4 is going to have some travel in it (hopefully). So I'm going to start during zero week and mostly skip week 4.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:27 PM, Xena said:

1. Cross training (A) Finish Tabata yoga challenge (19 classes to go as of 7/21) and  (B) do 100 chin-up negatives. Can start yoga stuff right away and start 100 negatives during zero week

So-so on this. I'm up to 7/21 on the yoga classes, but I did several of those before the challenge started. I don't love these classes, but they make my muscles sore in a good way and don't take too much time. Up to 18/100 on the negatives...and still have time to do some today.

2. Spend 6 hours practicing coding skills. Not trying to get specific work done,  but just learning core skills. Current plan is to work on R tidyverse, but can substitute something else in if I want. Also consider taking some of my ugly code and figuring out how to do it "right"

I hr done on the tidyverse book. Learned some stuff. Can see that there are a lot of chapters I would like to work through, but it's gonna take a lot of time to do this systematically. I tend to just look things up to cobble together what I want to do. That works, but there are some core skills that I think would improve if I spend more organized time work on them. Plus it's a lot less frustrating working on the nice organized book than trying to hack my way through my real-world data problems.

3. Running goal (1) 150 miles...starting zero week and finishing at the end of week 4. (2) Get night splint and give it a try. [For past several months I've had some very low grade tendency toward plantar/achilles issues]. I want to try doing something about this.

Such a miserable run today! Humid and icky. I had a variety of problems, mostly that I didn't realize how hot it was gonna be and started too late. Ended up only doing half the distance I wanted for today. I'll do better next week. Got 29 miles this week. Got the night splint and have worn it a couple times. Haven't managed to wear it through a whole night, but gonna keep trying. Think maybe I should be doing some icing as well. My goal for next week will be to remember to ice at least once. Low bar, but you know, baby steps. It's the inside of my heel (not on the bottom of the food but up from that forward of the achilles) that's sore. I'm not sure exactly what's going on. Not super sore, but more like a typical overuse thing. Oh right....I'll also try to wear real shoes in the house. Not flip flops and not bare feet. That should help.

4. Micro adventure goal. Ok...I decided not to make this an official goal. But I will try to think of ways to do some new and interesting things. I'm actually going to a restaurant (outdoors) with friends this week, which will be a first. In late August I'm going camping with some friends. I'll see what else I can think of. Maybe going to the Mulberry Street near me to see what I see (...contributing to @Sloth the Enduring;s version of a bingo card). Maybe there will be more adventures with shirtless men. One never knows.

This week, went out to dinner once. And yesterday, jumped off a bridge into the ocean 🙂

It's a very low bridge, and we do this every year on a high tide. I'm pretty far from an adrenaline junkie, but it felt good to have that little surge.

5. Chill out. This one is new, so I'll try it during zero week and then modify as needed. I'm going to sort of steal @deftona speakeasy concept at least once a week. We have a cool blues show on the radio weeknights at 8. I'll put that on and while it's on, I'll do things that don't involve any screens (read a "real" book, some kind of art/craft project, tarot, yoga, playing with the cat, "fun" house project, cooking, drinking).

I forgot that I said no screens. I decided one night to watch "Sleepy Hollow". It was in the spirit of the goal because it was a deliberate attempt at doing something a little different and relaxing. I'll try to make it an actual no screen thing this week.

• Like 9

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Got 29 miles this week

I aspire to be you when if I grow up

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

22 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

So, you will jump off a bridge if your friends are doing it!

oh wow. I'm not sure if I've posted my story about this before.

When I was in my 20's I was co-teaching a field course for undergrads. It was my first time doing it, and I had to hike in to this backwoods site and meet up with the lead teacher and the rest of the class. When I got there, they were hanging out by this waterfall/swimming hole, and there was a place where you could jump off a fairly high rock into a pool. The students were all trying to call me over to do it, and I declined. I am moderately scared of heights and the adrenaline rush doesn't usually come close to balancing out the terror of jumping for me. Then the other teacher took me aside and said "you know, they won't respect you unless you do it." So ok, I got myself up, walked over and jumped off the damned rock. Almost immediately, I thought "I just jumped off a rock because someone told me to to do it...I've become a complete stereotype...I'm never doing that again."

So I know it's a joke, but I emphatically, absolutely jumped off that bridge because I wanted to do it, and not (just) because my friends were doing it 🙂

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Today was good. Did a short run, 8 negatives and one of the tabata videos. I have kind of a new strategy on the negatives. I play "Flower" by Moby (the "bring Sally Up" song). I do as many negatives as I can do without too much struggle at the start of the song and each time they get to ("Old Miss Lucy..."). At the moment just one or two at a time, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to build on that.

I've been on a Jane Austen netflix/hulu kick lately. I took myself out for a little walk during lunchtime and totally felt like Elizabeth Bennett. Not sure if you guys have seen this, but it makes me laugh [I saw a funnier version a while back but can't find it now...it also included long walks as a major form of entertainment and spending large amounts of time with a small family circle and ...wish i remembered]

image.pngimage.png

• Like 10

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, Xena said:

oh wow. I'm not sure if I've posted my story about this before.

When I was in my 20's I was co-teaching a field course for undergrads. It was my first time doing it, and I had to hike in to this backwoods site and meet up with the lead teacher and the rest of the class. When I got there, they were hanging out by this waterfall/swimming hole, and there was a place where you could jump off a fairly high rock into a pool. The students were all trying to call me over to do it, and I declined. I am moderately scared of heights and the adrenaline rush doesn't usually come close to balancing out the terror of jumping for me. Then the other teacher took me aside and said "you know, they won't respect you unless you do it." So ok, I got myself up, walked over and jumped off the damned rock. Almost immediately, I thought "I just jumped off a rock because someone told me to to do it...I've become a complete stereotype...I'm never doing that again."

So I know it's a joke, but I emphatically, absolutely jumped off that bridge because I wanted to do it, and not (just) because my friends were doing it 🙂

This is amazing.  

The other teacher was an ass.  But, this is still amazing.

Glad you jumped this time!

• Like 2

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Now I understand why you remember my "jump diving off cliffs at the beach" thing and bring it up once in a while. Still, I'd remember that story as my 3 seconds of courage/berzerker mode instead of a time I got carried away or was tricked. Sometimes you just gotta do things and not overthink them ;)

• Like 4
On 7/31/2020 at 5:08 PM, Xena said:

Nothing specific, and I have a skewed view on this from the Cape because things get so much more crowded in the summer.

We have the same thing where we are. Everybody wants to come to the beach in the summer, it seems. 😜 

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

On 8/4/2020 at 3:10 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Now I understand why you remember my "jump diving off cliffs at the beach" thing and bring it up once in a while. Still, I'd remember that story as my 3 seconds of courage/berzerker mode instead of a time I got carried away or was tricked. Sometimes you just gotta do things and not overthink them ;)

I would have felt like that if I had wanted to jump. I knew I was brave enough to jump but just didn't really think I would enjoy it much. And after doing it, I felt disappointed in myself because I realized, it would have been braver to stick with my own decision. It's a really minor event in most ways, but it's become a sort of defining moment in my life. But yeah in general, I could probably do with a little less overthinking. A three seconds of courage story I'm more proud of is doing the polar plunge a couple times in Antarctica...again because I wanted to do it.

By the way @DarK_RaideR...where are you these days? I keep wondering if you have a challenge somewhere I'm not expecting. But maybe I need to venture into BattleLogLand.

Yesterday did a solid loop around the pond, some negatives and a tabata video. Tried a benchmark chin-up hold and got 22 sec...pretty sure I can do a lot better for various reasons, but it's a start.

Today 3 miles easy on the road. After work did some body weight circuits at the park with my BFF (so lucky I have a friend who will do something that dorky with me). Now I'm chilling out and listening to the blues show on the radio. Not quite as planned (supposed to be screen-free and here I am on NF), but I'm really enjoying the music a lot, so I think it's acheiving the spirit of the goal. 

Regarding my micro-adventure/poke-the-zombie goal, I think I need to try a "James Bond shower" one of these mornings. I'll do it after running, so it won't feel so bad. Not something I usually do and would definitely be a different feeling.

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

By the way, by James Bond shower, I had just planned on a blast of cold, but then I found these "directions"

(pasted from this article) which sound more fun..I'll have to do some substitutions, but this sounds like a pretty good morning routine overall

1. Start off with the hot water.

2. Wash your hair with some Pinaud Elixir shampoo, just like 007.

3. When you’re ready to rinse, just turn it down to cold. Bond would spend a few minutes under the cold water, meditating about a lost love or on how awesome his job is.

4. As you walk out the shower, kill the hitman that’s been hiding in the closet using nothing but a towel and a Scotch tumbler.

5. Say a pithy one liner; proceed to put on tux.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 3

Oct/Nov 2016

*jots down a note to move my glassware into the bathroom. 

• Like 5

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

*jots down a note to move my glassware into the bathroom. 

Someone hasn't heard of the joys of bath whisky

• Like 6

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

8 hours ago, Xena said:

By the way @DarK_RaideR...where are you these days? I keep wondering if you have a challenge somewhere I'm not expecting. But maybe I need to venture into BattleLogLand.

You are correct. I almost put up a challenge thread this go, but decided against it. Maybe next time.

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Was about to post a scene from the Big Lebowski in response, but googling it I was reminded it's not a glass of White Russian the Dude is enjoying in his tub... :P Man, I need to watch that movie for the bajillionth time...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, deftona said:

While I haven't tried a bath whisky yet, I have previously had bath coffee and bath wine.  Plus @Knightwatch introduced me to the beauty of a shower beer as well.

• Like 3

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 

23 hours ago, Xena said:

By the way, by James Bond shower, I had just planned on a blast of cold, but then I found these "directions"

(pasted from this article) which sound more fun..I'll have to do some substitutions, but this sounds like a pretty good morning routine overall

3. When you’re ready to rinse, just turn it down to cold. Bond would spend a few minutes under the cold water, meditating about a lost love or on how awesome his job is.

4. As you walk out the shower, kill the hitman that’s been hiding in the closet using nothing but a towel and a Scotch tumbler.

Bond shower report

Did a 3.7 mile run, then got in the shower, starting off with hot water. Still hot from running so couldn't deal with hot water...turned down to lukewarm-ish. 😎

Used the fancy body wash. 😎

Turned down to cold. Spent a few panicked seconds reciting a kooky mantra of "lost love awesome job lost love awesome job lost love awesome job." Turned off the water and honestly did feel pretty awesome. 😎

Meant to pester the cat in lieu of killing a hitman, but forgot. That obviously means I failed in my James Bond mission and must try this again soon.  🤯

Forgot about the pithy one liner, but dragged out a dress, put on some earring and even used lip gloss. 👗

I think that's worth a B+ or so.

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Something to aspire too...I'm not sure I've done that either...

13 hours ago, Big_Show said:

While I haven't tried a bath whisky yet, I have previously had bath coffee and bath wine.  Plus @Knightwatch introduced me to the beauty of a shower beer as well.

I think I've only done bath coffee and bath wine as well. I did try a shower beer once, I think, and I also learned about it on NF. I might have to try that again!!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Oct/Nov 2016

All my showers are in the morning at the moment.  Still tempting all the same though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 

11 hours ago, Big_Show said:

All my showers are in the morning at the moment.  Still tempting all the same though...

Same...very tempting...

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

12 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Me too. But the one time I tried the shower beer I did it late one Sunday morning after a long run. I feel like that sort of works...as long as you have some time to spend napping 🙂

• Like 3

Oct/Nov 2016

Somehow calling it a Bond shower makes it seem way cooler than just simply saying you took a cold shower. 

• Like 4

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Kind of lazy day today. Went for a short run and worked on my R coding a bit. Otherwise mostly laid around reading.

In the category of poking at zombies...I texted back and forth a bit with a guy from Match. There was a weird internet delay, so they messages weren't arriving in the same order they were being sent. Among the messages that delayed was one where he very honestly said he was really just looking for sex. Once I saw it, I politely declined, but it made for a confusing/interesting conversation while we were both trying to sort out what was going on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Oct/Nov 2016

1. Cross training (A) Finish Tabata yoga challenge (19 classes to go as of 7/21) and  (B) do 100 chin-up negatives. Can start yoga stuff right away and start 100 negatives during zero week

I tend to start off the week well and then slack off. CUrrently up to 33/100 negatives and 9/21 videos. This week, the main problem was that I did some bodyweight stuff on Wednesday that left me sore for a couple days. I'll get back on this tomorrow (and maybe fit in a few negatives tonight).

2. Spend 6 hours practicing coding skills. Not trying to get specific work done,  but just learning core skills. Current plan is to work on R tidyverse, but can substitute something else in if I want. Also consider taking some of my ugly code and figuring out how to do it "right"

Got an hour this week. Up to 2/6.

3. Running goal (1) 150 miles...starting zero week and finishing at the end of week 4. (2) Get night splint and give it a try. [For past several months I've had some very low grade tendency toward plantar/achilles issues]. I want to try doing something about this.

A little over 33 miles this week (despite the humid misable-ness), bringing me to a bit over 62. Worked on the heel pain a little. Iced early in the week and it seemed to make a big difference. Then I slacked off, and today it's kind of sore. Next week's goal to track what I run, which shoes I'm wearing, what I do to treat (Icing etc), and how it feels.

4. Micro adventure goal. Ok...I decided not to make this an official goal. But I will try to think of ways to do some new and interesting things. I'm actually going to a restaurant (outdoors) with friends this week, which will be a first. In late August I'm going camping with some friends. I'll see what else I can think of. Maybe going to the Mulberry Street near me to see what I see (...contributing to @Sloth the Enduring;s version of a bingo card). Maybe there will be more adventures with shirtless men. One never knows.

Sure...James Bond showers and kooky Match hijinks.

5. Chill out. This one is new, so I'll try it during zero week and then modify as needed. I'm going to sort of steal @deftona speakeasy concept at least once a week. We have a cool blues show on the radio weeknights at 8. I'll put that on and while it's on, I'll do things that don't involve any screens (read a "real" book, some kind of art/craft project, tarot, yoga, playing with the cat, "fun" house project, cooking, drinking).

Yeah, giving myself credit for this. Did listen to the radio and chill out a bit.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Oct/Nov 2016

On 8/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, deftona said:

Wait i haven’t either and clearly need to

On 8/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, Xena said:

I love this and heartily approve of pestering the cat instead of hitman murder (unless there actually is a hitman in the closet. Then whale away)

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)