annyshay continues with the four elements

k4nb4frvcrg21.png

Hello Nerds, annyshay here! I'm a thirty-something single lady that who lives with an orange tabby named Dragon in the Northeastern US. I've been a member of the Nerd Fitness forums for many years. Along the way, I met my health coach, Amy Clover, who has been helping me move past dieting and performance health based on external metrics to focus more on the way that I want to feel and building habits that support that. 

Last challenge was rough, but I'm still here. I basically want to try again with some tweaks, so we'll still be in the land of ATLA (Avatar the Last Airbender). Feel free to refer to my previous challenge if you want to know more about ATLA's view of the elements.

6a12923d073639615a6e1ac30b97265e.gif

Earth - one hike per week

tenor.gif

Air - spend 15 minutes daily on the NF forums

f29800b971bd5e3d5a1222914687378d.gif

Fire - hip flexor stretch +/- PT maintenance exercises

2a6960a81432435624268b49601bf986.gif

Water - cook once per week

4NsW3BC.gif

Yip, yip!

• Like 8

Love as thou wilt.

45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I just realized, I'm supportive and I make jokes. I'm Sokka, aren't I?

Hrm, you do cook a lot of meat...

• Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

20 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Now I just need a spacemetal sword.

I mean. Don't we all.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

OMG, yes. You're welcome for the challenge idea, by the way. ;)

I'm super torn between whether I'm Katara or Zuko. I get either on quizzes. Identity crisis!!!

I mean, given your history family of origin, Zuko fits, but you are a healer, so Katara does as well. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I mean, given your history, Zuko fits

*tiptoes out nervously*

• Haha 1

I may be invisible but I’m following!

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Monday w0d2

Earth - not yet

Air - spent 15 minutes on nerd fitness

Fire - hip flexor stretch + one legged stance

Water - made salad 

It was back to work today. There was some catching up to do because I was out of the office on Friday, but I was able to get through it. I submitted a revision of an IRB protocol for research in the morning. Then I was on service in the hospital, so I saw a bunch of kids with a brand new 4th year student who has never been at our hospital before. That meant a lot of orienting. We had lunch but were otherwise going until 4pm, so it was a full day. When I got home, I sent some emails back and forth with Amy, made dinner, played Animal Crossing New Horizons, and did some meditation. Read a bit more before bed.

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Tuesday w0d3

Earth - not yet

Air - nope

Fire - hip flexor stretch + one legged stance

Water - nope

Was up early, but my friend was late to our chat, so I took a small nap. My team overslept, so I wasn't able to start my work day for an hour or so, which made me feel behind all day. Had only one new consult thankfully. Spent a lot of time talking with my colleagues about one particularly sick kid. Finished up notes late into the night. When I came home I re-watched some more of Umbrella Academy (season two drops on Friday!).

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Wednesday w0d4

So I'm going to take a break from any specific goals. My health coach thinks this will help with the general feelings of overwhelm and resistance that I'm having. Instead, I am going to use tools when I want to that might make me feel better. I'll still keep you guys posted on what's going on as we move forward.

So, Wednesdays are always a bit overwhelming because of all the appointments that I have in the evening. I slept in a bit as well, but I managed to complete most of my morning routine and have my chat with my friend. The work day went fairly well as we didn't have any new consults until the end of the day, when we decided that we would see them the next day. I got home and had therapy, my coaching call, and my gaming group in a row with no real breaks until after my bedtime. 

Therapy

Spoiler

We spent the session just talking and free associating (no EMDR, yay). I brought up an incident with my mom from the weekend. Basically, she wanted me to reach out to my cousin (we don't talk very often) and find out "how close to the edge" she was after some life events. Now, I haven't heard from my cousin and she hasn't reached out to me. I managed to establish a boundary and tell Mom that she should reach out to her instead if she was worried. We riffed on that for most of therapy talking about various ways that I parented my Mom as a child and the fact that there was some serious emotional neglect from her after the divorce. Also, I was taught that I had to stuff my emotions if I was to be a member of society. So double whammy, really. 

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

Thursday w0d5

Did one legged balances while brushing my teeth.

Slept in late. Managed to tell my friend that it bothers me when she shows up late to our chats. She took it ok. Work was really heavy because one child is doing particularly badly and another mom is particularly anxious, so I spent hours talking with family members of patients. It was hard to do anything else at that point. I came home and watched Umbrella Academy until it was time to sleep. The new season drops tomorrow.

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

18 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Thursday w0d5

Did one legged balances while brushing my teeth.

Slept in late. Managed to tell my friend that it bothers me when she shows up late to our chats. She took it ok. Work was really heavy because one child is doing particularly badly and another mom is particularly anxious, so I spent hours talking with family members of patients. It was hard to do anything else at that point. I came home and watched Umbrella Academy until it was time to sleep. The new season drops tomorrow.

Oooh Umbrella Academy! That's something to look forward to. I love Robert Sheehan's work and am looking forward to seeing what happens with Klaus. 

Balance practice is a wonderful idea! I'm going to follow your example. 

Good for you for confronting your friend! I hope she listens and shows up on time now. After an emotional work day,  you really did a wonderful job recognizing that you just needed down time to recover and took excellent care of yourself. 

• Like 2