RisenPhoenix is Endless

RisenPhoenix

I know that it is a source of frustration for you, but I just love how much drama there is in small sub-groups. EVERY SINGLE ONE. (See this Reddit thread from a few years ago, lololol.) 

• Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

4 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Holy shit you guys weren't kidding.  Only 70-something pages in and the shit pile Harry has found himself in in the amount usually reserved for the LAST 70 pages of most of the books.  Like.... holy crap all the things, one after another.  I'm curious how much all the things align (a la most of the plot points/noir influence of things tying together) and how many are just going to be ongoing (a la the Small Favor-type thing).

Well, dunno if you'd heard or not, but apparently the reason we're getting a pair of Dresden books so closely together after all this time is that he set so many plates spinning that he couldn't resolve them in a book that was sized to a format his publishers were comfortable with. So they decided to capitalize and double their profits split the single big book into a pair of smaller books on rapid release. Without having actually finished this thing, I suspect that one of the smaller conflicts is going to resolve while introducing something a lot bigger.

• Like 1

I currently feel like shit.

Bad enough that I told my boss I was taking a sick day.

And now I get to play the game of "Stomach Bug or COVID?"

I did three hours of physical activity yesterday - NP, yoga, and then aikido.  So my body is sore, I just can't tell if it's DOMS or something else.  I couldn't sleep well last night, and woke up hot.  My room is stuffy when I don't run the AC, so either I had a fever, or it's that.  My stomach last night felt a bit off after dinner, but I can't think of anything I ate that would be an issue.

The only truly close-to-people thing I have done in the last two weeks has been an eye exam.  Otherwise, I haven't been close to humans since Ska and his girlfriend came for dinner a few weeks ago, long before the incubation time of COVID.  Had a date, but that too was longer ago than the incubation time.  

I woke up to do some work this morning, did what I needed to do, and then told my boss I wasn't going in.  I have been sleeping on my couch since 0800, and woke up to call into a work meeting.  Sleeping in the living room is a bit less stuffy, so I'm feeling slightly cooler than I was last night.  I feel like I might have a mild fever, but hell if I know.

So today, I'm trying to not meet Death.  She's way too chipper for me to put up with at the moment.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

A - you don't have a thermometer?  (Neither did I until a couple months back.  I share an Amazon Prime account with my sisters.  One noticed an order for digital thermometer and pulse oximeter and freaked right the fuck out.)  If you'd like access to either, I don't mind swinging them by.

B.  Neighbor feeling ok?

It is too bad that meeting her comes with such a permanent side effect.  I do believe she'd be lovely to hang with.

image.png.1ff5e0271a3a84050b21e5f442cb32d9.png

• Like 2

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

I hope you feel better soon. I know what you mean about every ache and pain bringing fears of the plague.

Thank you for the update on the dojo situation in Boston. I laughed at the Old Japanese Men problem. Yep, I've seen plenty of that. I often wonder what the next generation will look like. The current crisis is accelerating that discussion.

• Like 1

Level 67  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Yikes, man, take care. Is getting tested an option at this point?

Testing is an option.  I also hear that those administering the tests are frequently...

energetic, bendy, young, and very willing to play with stuff.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yikes, man, take care. Is getting tested an option at this point?

Testing is an option, as Ska mentioned. I don’t think it’s COVID, but this does kinda suck. 

Ska came to drop off a thermometer, which showed I have a mild fever. I usually run on the cool side, so I was a bit shocked to see a temp of 99.6F. Under the 100F “real” fever descriptor, but that’s quite a bit warmer than I typically get clocked in at work. But I’m breathing fine, I’m sore from probably workouts, and my stomach is just doing backflips constantly. Super fun. I more or less slept on my couch all day, and I’m thinking I might sleep here tonight. Better airflow than my bedroom and a firmer mattress might be good for me. 

Also today I have consumed ALL THE CARBS. Goldfish, pretzels, Italian ice. I just order Pho Ga in the chicken-soup-cures-all hope. Food today is just a “get calories in” game right now. 

2 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

I also hear that those administering the tests are frequently...

Really just gonna ram that one in whenever you can now, aren’t cha? (Phrasing.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh take the temp back. Apparently I crossed the 100F mark. Wheeeeee!

But below the cut off of 100.4. By 0.1 degree. 

Don't panic. Probably not covid. Just keep an eye on your symptoms. It is a sucky time to be sick. I'd start slamming the Tylenol to try to keep it down. Sleep. That sort of stuff. Thai soup does cure everything.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Don't panic. Probably not covid. Just keep an eye on your symptoms. It is a sucky time to be sick. I'd start slamming the Tylenol to try to keep it down. Sleep. That sort of stuff. Thai soup does cure everything.

Yea I’m not actually panicked. More annoyed. I’m not often sick, and usually I just power through (I admit to being That Coworker who gets looks when the drag themselves in, while often telling people to not be That Coworker.) But yea, I should take some stuff, drink more water, and sleep more. I did order Pho, and within five minutes of eating it my stomach strongly vetoed the idea. So. Back to water and Italian ice. 

It’s just annoying. I’m using here to do the whining I usually don’t let myself do. Hopefully by tomorrow I feel better, but not really holding much hope on that front. 

• Like 2

Next Morning Update:

I went to bed at 8:30pm last night. That meant I had approximately four hours of non-comatose time yesterday. I woke up and while I don’t have as high a fever as last night, I’m still in the mid 99’s. My stomach is still not liking humanity. 

So while I probably could drug up, drag myself to work, and be miserable the entire time, I decided to take a second sick day. I feel like this is the better option. Allow myself to get fully recovered and hit the ground running on Monday. I did tell my boss I’d do some light computer work probably, so I’m sure he thinks I’ll be doing 10 hours of analysis.

Really my hope today is I can have some real food eventually that isn’t just crackers and Italian ice. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Next Morning Update:

I went to bed at 8:30pm last night. That meant I had approximately four hours of non-comatose time yesterday. I woke up and while I don’t have as high a fever as last night, I’m still in the mid 99’s. My stomach is still not liking humanity. 

So while I probably could drug up, drag myself to work, and be miserable the entire time, I decided to take a second sick day. I feel like this is the better option. Allow myself to get fully recovered and hit the ground running on Monday. I did tell my boss I’d do some light computer work probably, so I’m sure he thinks I’ll be doing 10 hours of analysis.

Really my hope today is I can have some real food eventually that isn’t just crackers and Italian ice. 

I'm sure work will be fine with it.  Nowadays especially, nobody wants you bringing something unknown into the office.

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

1 hour ago, Big_Show said:

I'm sure work will be fine with it.  Nowadays especially, nobody wants you bringing something unknown into the office.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a supervisor about sick time.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ughhh, so sorry you're sick. I know it's like an old lady answer, but SALTINES! They are truly a godsend when your digestion revolts.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Infection Day 3:

I finally don’t have a fever, though my stomach is still not normal. I’m hoping one more day of bland eating and hydration will sort this out. 

Plus side, guess it’s a way to lose those stubborn Quarantine Pounds I got from all that baking a few challenges back.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Infection Day 4:

That’s about 2.5 pounds less than my weigh in the previous week. Honestly I expected it to be a steeper loss. 

Fever is long gone, and my stomach seems to be approaching normal. I had some soup last night (a gift from my neighbor), which was more than just broth. Triggered some small stomach issues, but nothing terrible. This morning I dared to try some cottage cheese with fruit, and my stomach seems to be tolerating that well. Still some GI weirdness, but not like what I’ve been experiencing the last few days. 

While I don’t think this was COVID, I’m still going to go get tested this week to be sure. Either it isn’t, or it was and I’ve now passed the hump. Plus side is I don’t really go out much, wear my mask in public, and still keep distance from people. So at least the chance of me spreading of I had it are slim. 

Still, while I feel better I’m still taking today to do nothing. Figure it’s better to rest 100% than half ass it. Good plan, right?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Still, while I feel better I’m still taking today to do nothing. Figure it’s better to rest 100% than half ass it. Good plan, right

This deserves a mashup of the Swanson Never Half-Ass Anything gif with the Office Space I Did Nothing Gif.

You get to imagine it however, as I am not a gif creator.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Okay, it's Monday and I'm back to.... take things slowly.

Still not exactly back to 100%, but near enough that I'm tempting to go running full force at things, which is a Bad Idea.  Between not wanting to over exert myself, not having fuel in my system TO exert myself, and also in general a kind of blarg-ness, I get to keep the brakes on.  See, I Can learn sometimes.

First order of business, food stuffs.  I had fully intended to keep to my IF-ish schedule of eating post-noon, but by around 11am I realized I was being super Hangry.  So I pounded some trail mix and a nut bar down at work before I had to dive back into the lab.  I realized for the next few days I'm probably not going to be counting indulgences as much as just trying to get back on track and count all the calories.  So for today technically I've had four indulgences - The trail mix and bar, an italian ice, and a bagel.  And I do not give a damn over all.  I'm currently sitting at 940 calories from a variety of food sources, and my stomach doesn't have the pitchforks out.  I am thrilled.  Running with it.

Chore today was grocery shopping after I left the lab and before I got home for meetings.  I also want to clean a bit, but we'll see where my motivation lands given how tired I am right now.  Plus I need to pull some dinner together (either ratatouille or chicken salad.  Probably the chicken salad because it's something cold and it's hot out).  So I guess I have a chunk of stuff to do.

I also finished Peace Talks yesterday.  Dang.  So clearly one book that was split into two.  And I really need Battle Ground now.  But for now I need to find some other thing to read.  No idea what it'll be, either a thing that I currently own or otherwise.  Suggestions appreciated, and locations to free e-books definitely appreciated...

And now to collapse.  I'm exhausted.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I also finished Peace Talks yesterday.  Dang.  So clearly one book that was split into two.  And I really need Battle Ground now. 

So the fact that for some reason I haven't started Peace Talks yet is a carefully crafted strategy to minimize the time I have to wait between books?

58 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Suggestions appreciated, and locations to free e-books definitely appreciated...

I'm working my way through books by Brandon Sanderson, currently on The Final Empire. I get all my e-books (and e-audiobooks) through the public library. Is that an option for you? If yes, you might also check to see if your library has reciprocal lending agreements with other libraries because it may mean you can get cards at those libraries as well. I have cards with four different library systems and when I want an item, I check to see if any of them have it available immediately or which one has the shortest hold time.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022