Big Show lifts things

Big_Show

Made it to Friday, and completed all my lifts for the week!

Friday weight: 118.8 kg - looking pretty stable for now.  I'm 3.6kg/8lbs down since July 1st, so not gonna complain.

Thursday steps: 7937 (775 over target for the week) - it is Hot. As. BALLS.  Just hitting my target for the week is going to be a stretch while it's like this, so I'm happy with this.

Thursday calories: 2306 (201 under target for the week) - not as much of a safety net for the weekend as I would have liked, so I'll just have to rein things in a bit.

Hit the gym first thing this morning for bench day.  Work sets were:

45kg x3

50kg x3

57.5 x3+ (I did 5)

Then it was on to the accessory squats.  Work sets were:

45kg x5

52.5kg x5

60kg x5

Then the barbell rows again - 5x10 @ 30kg.  Finished it up with 5x5 DB brocep curls as my littel Friday treat.

Next week it hits the peak week for this first cycle, which should be interesting even if the first month lowballs the weights.

For the rest of the day I think I'm mainly just trying to survive the heat without any AC.  Meeting a mate from my old gym at lunchtime for a pint, which will be good because I haven't seen him in person since last year I think?  He's been shielding until recently too, so he's hardly seen anyone at all since March.  Definitely going to find shade in the beer garden for that though!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  

Weekend update time!

Saturday weight: 118.4 kg

Friday steps: 7698 (1743 over target for the week) - took a little lap round the block in the evening to get myself over the threshold then retired to the garden with wine.

Friday calories: 3517 (697 over target for the week) - wine is good.

Sunday weight: 118.4 kg

Saturday steps: 8694 (3437 over target for the week) - still really hot, but walking up the high street in the morning did most of the work for me before it got too hot.

Saturday calories: 3453 (1531 over target for the week) - more wine while reading in the back garden.  A really nice way to cool down in the evening.

Monday weight: 119.1 kg

Sunday steps: 6012(2449 over target for the week) - didn't hit the target but don't care.  We headed out later on in the afternoon when it was starting to cool down slightly.

Sunday calories: 2390 (1302 over target for the week) starting to bring the average down after the garden wine.  Should be nicely on target by the end of Tuesday.

Walked to the gym this morning - it's peak week for the 5/3/1 lifts!  Today's main thing was squats - the work sets were:

60kg x 5

67.5kg x3

77.5kg x1+ (I did 5) - felt good, probably could have done more but didn't want to accidentally go to failure with nobody around to spot (empty gym again).

The bench press was still just the normal accessory version - the work sets were:

35kg x5

40kg x5

47.5kg x5

Finished off with hack squats again - 5x10 @ 40kg and by the last set it it burned.  Which means it was doing something!

Back there on Wednesday for the 5/3/1 of deadlifts & OHP.  Starting to think about my next cycle through - tempting to switch over from the Beginner version to one of the regular versions, so I'm going to re-read that chapter of the book and see what the options are.  No harm at all in sticking with the beginner version for a second month though.

• Like 5

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  

Tuesday weight: 118.0 kg - I now feel reasurred that last Wednesday's weigh-in was a blip, as 5 out of the last 7 weights have been in the 118s and it does seem to be going down steadily.  i just prefer it massively if the Wednesday weights fit the same trend 😅

Monday steps: 10,337 (5786 over target for the week) - between the walk to the gym and then walking up the high street later on to buy some eggs, I hit a surprisingly high target.  That probably won't happen today because all this heat & humidity is likely to cause thunderstorms (and it has thankfully just started raining as I type this!), and also we have other things to do today.

Monday calories: 2130 (813 over target for the week) - reined things in nicely after Friday & Saturday, so we're all on track for this goal.

This morning I was on the exercise bike for half an hour, and the rest of the day is probably going to be spent doing more revision ahead of my job interview next week.  The Welshman's nephews & niece are over this side of the country staying with his Mum & Stepdad until Sunday, so we're heading over there tonight and for most of Thurs-Fri as well, so my ability to keep my calories in check is definitely going to be tested over the next week!

• Like 5

Tuesday was nice and fun.  We headed over to see the Welshman's family, and dinner was fish & chips from the takeaway in the end.  I don't regret this as we've been wanting an excuse to have them for months now, but I'm guessing the big lardy carbiness of that meal is my weight was 119.5kg today.  But I regret nothing

Tuesday steps: 6201

Tuesday calories: 2602 - I anticipated takeaway and ate accordingly throughout the day, plus I made sure I was the one who drove so as not to have any drinks while I was there.

This left my weekly steps at 4987 over target (amazed it was that high!) and my calorie total at 796 over target (so within my +/-1000 goal).  That'll do me just fine!

The trend line on my weight chart continues to head downward:

image.thumb.png.075f05d06dafd62d77e4306be8fa7a2f.png

So after that successful week my calorie target readjusts downwards to 2604 calories / day (18,228 / week, +/- 100 as always).

This morning I did the weekly shop, although it was really quick as we're away for a good few days this weekend.  Then it was off to the gym, where I did the 5/3/1 workout for deadlifts & OHP.  The deadlift seemed really low, but I worked up to the max weight as prescribed - the work sets were:

70kg x5

80kg x3

90kg x1+ (I did 6).

The OHP is always harder for me, but I was pleased with today - the work sets were:

30kg x5

35kg x3

40xkg x1+ (I did 3).

This was followed with 5x10 bent-over DB row @ 15kg.  By the end I was absolutely dripping and very much enjoyed standing in front of the big fan.

I have made up my mind and will definitely be shifting over to the full programme rather than the Beginner version for the next cycle, and I'll use next week's deload week to test out the accessory exercises when I manage to pick them.  There's a few options listed in the book - I like the sound of the "Boring but Big" option, but I'll give the rest a proper read through too.

I won't be able to update much for the rest of the week as we're going to be all over visiting family for the next few days.  They're all available as it was supposed to be our wedding on Saturday, and we're staying away for a couple of nights too which should be nice.  See you all next week!

• Like 4

Further to my earlier deliberatinons, I've decided I am definitely going with the "Boring but Big" variation of Wendler's plan for my next cycle.  Part of this is admittedly because it will involve cleaning fewer sets of equipment during my workout.

The structure of the workouts is this:

Military Press - 5/3/1

Military Press - 5x10

Accessory: Barbell rows - 5x10

Deadlift - 5/3/1

Deadlift - 5x10

Accessory: Hanging-leg raise (regression) - 5x10

Bench press - 5/3/1

Bench press - 5x10

Accessory: DB row - 5x10

Squat - 5/3/1

Squat/Hack squat - 5x10

Accessory: TBC

I just need to figure out what to put on to the end of the squat workout, as it suggests leg curls but I'm kinda too tall for the leg curl machine in my gym.  So I guess I need to find another exercise which complements the squats to replace it - any suggestions?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

I just need to figure out what to put on to the end of the squat workout, as it suggests leg curls but I'm kinda too tall for the leg curl machine in my gym.  So I guess I need to find another exercise which complements the squats to replace it - any suggestions?

Lunges or farmer walks?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

7 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

So I guess I need to find another exercise which complements the squats to replace it - any suggestions?

Box jumps? (explosive power)

Weighted Step ups? (unilateral stability and strength)

GHDs or back extensions? (work those erectors!)

Farmer's carries? (good for trunk stability).

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'll second lunges or some sort of similar unilateral work for legs (split squats, reverse or walking lunges, bulgarian split squats, and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of) OR something that focuses on glute / hamstring activation (glute bridges / hip thrusts, reverse hypers, back extensions, etc). I'd lean towards the glute / hamstring stuff, possibly even starting with just bodyweight (but also, I haven't done my own strength programming using weights since...late 2018 and only worked out with weights for a brief period since then, so maybe just ignore my advice).

Especially after 5x10 of squats after your working weights, expect your legs to be dead - keep the weights light and dial in on form would be my approach (and steer clear of anything explosive or highly technical, since your form WILL break down when you're tired unless you've really trained the movement pattern a ton with a focus on maintaining form despite lots of stressors).

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - there's quite a few exercises there that I haven't done before, so I think for the time being I'll have a go at doing lunges until I can get someone to show me how to do some of them with proper form.  Fully expecting my legs to be absolutely dead by the end of those workouts thought!

I've just had an awesome few days.  We went over on the train to see the Welshman's family on Thursday, then on Friday morning I popped to the gym for me last session of Cycle 1, and then we drove over and checked in to our hotel for a couple of nights.  Spent a fair bit of family time, and we took ourselves out for a nice brunch on Saturday morning as a non-wedding day treat.  Then at the time we should have had the ceremony, we cracked open the bottle of champagne we were given back when we got engaged.

Needless to say, there have been a lot more calories this weekend than fit within my diet plan.  Recognising this, I have changed my calorie target for the week to the maintenance figure (3064/day), but I'm still waay over that anyway.  Did get plenty of steps in though:

Wednesday steps: 4282

Wednesday calories: 2822

Thursday steps: 15,140

Thursday calories: 4166

Friday steps: 9607

Friday calories: 2753

Saturday steps: 11,883

Saturday calories: 5212

Sunday steps: 6311

Sunday calories: 3755

So that puts me 12,223 steps over target for the week, and 3388 calories over too! 😅  I don't care though, you only don't get married once.  Or something like that.  Probably exaplains why my weight this morning was 121.5kg as well, but that'll drop right down again as the bloating/water weight from eating & drinking so much goes away again.

This morning I was back to the gym for the first workout of my first Boring but Big cycle.  This was the Military press workout - the work sets were:

27.5kg x5

32.5kg x5

37.5kg x5+ (I did 7) - this felt noticeably heavier than before.

The first accessory lift was planned as standing DB press for 5x10 @ 2x10kg, but after the first set I realised there was no way I was getting through that so I dropped the weights down to 2x7.5kg instead.  I still had to break it up into shorter sets than intended but I got to 50 reps eventually (10, 10, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5).  Obviously something to remember for the other exercises - lowball that estimate for the first workout!

Then I did 5x10 barbell rows @ 30kg, and I had to split that one up a bit more as well (10, 10, 10, 7, 7, 6).  Definitely felt like I'd worked by the end of this workout!

We met my parents for lunch, and I've spent the afternoon revising and preparing for my job interview tomorrow.  Then in the afternoon we've got viewings set up for three separate rental properties, so tomorrow could potentially be a very big day indeed!

• Like 4

Tuesday weight: 119.4 kg - that's already 2 out of those 5kg gone since yesterday, so clearly nothing to worry about.

Monday steps: 8954 (14,177 over target for the week) - ALL the walking this week.

Monday calories: 2828 (3152 over target for the week) - reigning this in gradually, but basically still an entire day's worth of calories extra this week.  New week starts on Wednesday, gonna have to be extra strict with things next week to compensate!

No excercise today after all - I had my phone interview this morning and I'm certain I gave a good account of myself, had strong answers for all of their questions including the ones I hadn't prepared exactly for, and the two guys interviewing seemed genuinely nice.  Their department seems very well set up too.  Certain I smashed the half hour practical test afterwards too, so now I just need to wait until the middle of next week when they'll let me know either way!

Off to view three rental houses this afternoon, so that's the general shape of the rest of the day.  Hopefully Super Tuesday leads to good results all round!

• Like 4

Fingers crossed you get the job! 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

2 hours ago, Big_Show said:

No excercise today after all - I had my phone interview this morning and I'm certain I gave a good account of myself, had strong answers for all of their questions including the ones I hadn't prepared exactly for, and the two guys interviewing seemed genuinely nice.  Their department seems very well set up too.  Certain I smashed the half hour practical test afterwards too, so now I just need to wait until the middle of next week when they'll let me know either way!

Great news! Fingers crossed and wishes of good luck to you. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

On 8/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, h3r0 said:

Fingers crossed you get the job! 

On 8/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Great news! Fingers crossed and wishes of good luck to you. 

Cheers guy, the waiting is already kiling me!

So after we did all that yesterday we popped down to the pub to celebrate.  This added a few more calories than intended, but it was well worth it and I was still under the maintenance target for the day.

Wednesday weight: 119.4 kg - stayed the same again - hoping for big changes here this week.

Tuesday steps: 11,929 (19,106 over target for the week) - good day for it!

Tuesday calories: 2786 (2874 over target for the week) - I am being so much more careful with this for a few weeks now, it was a fun diet break but the daily target is back down to 2064 this week and I'll be aiming to be within +/- 500 of my goal this week instead of +/-1000.

The weight chart looks weird with those three days we were away missed out:

image.thumb.png.ab0bf40aebb673d85af3ea3b0238deed.png

So on to Wednesday - did the weekly shop for us and my parents first thing, then it was off to the gym!  It was actually the busiest I've seen it since they reopened - a whole 5 other people were there with me!  Luckily nobody was anywhere near the deadlift platforms so I cracked on with my very deadlift-centric workout.  The 5/3/1 work sets were:

65kg x5

72.5kg x5

82.5kg x5+ (I did 9)

The first accessory lift was another 5x10 deadlifts!  The programme reccomended starting off with just 40% of the 1RM for them so that's what I did, but 40kg just seemed waaaay too easy by the end of it.  Still, lowballing it for the first workout is never a bad idea, so next time I do this I'll have a go at 50kg instead.

The other accessory was 5x10 hanging leg-raises; I can't do these yet, so I'm following the regressions listed over at the Start Bodyweight to scale things back.  I started off with just lying bent-knee raises and had to split my sets up even with this version (10, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6).

All in all I enjoyed that one, should be more fun with heavier weights though.  Looking forward to the next gym trip on Friday too!

• Like 5

Thursday weight: 119.3 kg - bit disappointing.  Hoping to see a better change soon.

Wednesday steps: 3719 (3281 under target for the week) - it absolutely pissed it down pretty much all day, so didn't really fancy a walk.  Will make a point of repairing this average over the next few days.

Wednesday calories: 2306 (298 under target for the week) - Carefuly stayed under target despite several temptations throughout the day - need to build up a buffer before the weekend as we're going out for a couple of meals due to family birthdays, so I'll need to make room for/compensate for these.

Half an hour on the exercise bike this morning, walk planned for later.  A mate has offered me a couple of days' work next week for his cleaning company, so I'm shifting my gym sessions round accordingly as they'll be long days.  So it looks like after Friday's planned Bench Press workout I'll be doing Squats on Saturday morning instead of Monday, and getting the Military Press workout in on Monday.  Be interesting to go two days in a row for the first time since they reopened, but as the two workouts are completely different (upper body on Friday, legs on Saturday) it should all work out ok.  Guess it'll help with earning those birthday meal calories in advance!

• Like 3

Friday weight: 118.6 kg - getting there.

Thursday steps: 5817 (4464 under target for the week) - didn't make it out again so it was just the lunchtime walk today.  Guess this shows how easy it will be to miss my steps target when working from home, something to keep an eye on.

Thursday calories: 2267 (635 under target for the week) - ended up having a couple of gins last night as I got bored of just tea/coffee all day, then went back onto green tea after dinner.  Gives me a nice buffer for the weeked though.

It's my nephew's birthday today so we're heading over there are the Welshman finished work, my parents are heading over too, and we're going to all sit in their back garden and have a proper fish supper from the chippy.  I've volunteered to drive and therefore won't be having a drink until we get back home, so by my calculations that should bring me in pretty much bang on my calorie target again.

This morning I headed off to the gym first thing for bench press day.  The work sets were:

42.5kg x5

50kg x5

55kg x5+ (I did 8).

Then it was on to the DB bench press for 5x10 @ 15kg.  The first set felt ok but then I started failing towards the end from the second set onwards, so I actually did 10, 9, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5.  Still accumulated all my reps in the end though.

The other accessory was the bent-over DB row - 5x10 @ 15kg.  I've done this a few times now and managed all the sets with no real difficulty, so next time I'll step up to 17.5kg DB.

Not much planned for the rest of the day - feeling like catching up with the various Arrowverse shows and I'm now a good few years behind, so think I might start working on that this afternoon.  Think I'm near the end of Arrow S6 , and the equivalent week for Supergirl and The Flash as well (LoT was a shorter season).

• Like 5

Saturday weight: 119.2kg

Friday steps: 7241 (4223 under target for the week) - the repairing has started. 

Friday calories: 3293 (54 over target for the week) - opened another bottle of wine while watching Canada's Drag Race and I'll finish that off over the weekend, so I just logged the whole thing for today to make things easier for me.  Other than that, the fish supper was the perfect size and I resisted the lure of extra chips when my niece offered hers around - my sister grabbed them so I'm not sure I would have stood a chance anyway!

This morning I wandered over to the gym.  I didn't get there until 10:00 so I was worried it was going to be a bit busy, but there was still only my and the guy who's regularly there during the week!  I made a bit more of an effort to say hi to him and chat today, but his headphones were in and he was obviously pushing himself so I didn't interrupt.  Read the room.

Today was my first go at the Boring but Big squat workout - the worksets were:

55kg x5

65kg x5

72.5kg x5+ (I did 8 ) - these all felt nice and easy still, but not complaining.

Onto the hack squat for the first accessory lift - 5x10 @ 40kg.  I managed these fine and realised I have done for the past few weeks, so next time I'll put the weight up.  Figure going up by 5kg a go is probably best for a leg workout?  If that's not much different I can go up again the next week.

The other accessory was weighted DB lunges.  I did two sets holding 10kg dumbbells then my hamstrings started complaining waaaay too much, so I figured I went a bit too heavy too quickly having not done lunges in months.  I'll try again with lighter dumbbells next week then put the weight back up when I can do 5x10 ok.  Despite hating lunges.

Lazy afternoon at home watching rugby on the TV, then tonight we're meeting friends for a curry which I am VERY excited about.  It's been far too long since we've eaten there or seen these friends, so to do both feels like a really big treat!

• Like 5

Sunday weight: 120.1kg

Saturday steps: 10,233 (990 under target for the week) - caught up a bit more here.  Walked to the gym, walked to the pub in the afternoon, then walked to the curry house in the evening.

Saturday calories: 3897 (1347 over target for the week) - that curry was totally worth the extra calories, was really good catching up with friends we haven't seen since just after new year.

Monday weight: 119.6kg

Sunday steps: 12,457 (4467 over target for the week) - nicely back into the positive again now.

Sunday calories: 3349 (2092 over target for the week) - we got the train over for future mother-in-law's birthday celebrations, and the excess calories mainly came from drinks throughout the day.

I'm further over target or calories than I ideally wanted to be by this point of the week, but all the various birthdays and other celebrations are now out of the way so we're going to focus on staying in, saving money, and packing up the house so we're ready when we get the go ahead to move to a new place.

This morning I was up and hit my gloriously empty gym for the Military Press workout; the work sets were:

30kg x3

35kg x3

40kg x3+ - I did 5.

The accessory lifts were DB military press for 5x10 @ 7.5kg and the other was barbell rows for 5x10 @ 30kg, both of which I managed so next time I'll put them up a bit.  It felt like a really good workout, which is surprising as I've never really enjoyed shoulder workouts before.

Today I'm getting a load of odd jobs done while waiting to hear back about either the job or the new house, and for the next couple of days I'm helping a mate out with some work (a bit of spending money would come in handy!) so I probably won't be back on for a few days.  Hopefully I'll have good news to report when I am though!

• Like 4

Tuesday weight: 120.9kg - no idea what's going on here now

Monday steps: 9644 (7111 over target for the week)

Monday calories: 2473 (1961 over target for the week)

Wednesday weight: 120.6kg

Tuesday steps: 10,815 (10,926 over target for the week)

Tuesday calories: 2565 (1922 over target for the week)

Thursday weight: 118.9kg

Wednesday steps: 9194 (2194 over target for the week)

Wednesday calories: 2586 (18 under target for the week)

Spent the last couple of days getting up early and driving down to Kent with a mate to clean carpets in a primary school, so that was some nice spending money earned and it got me out of the house for a bit.

Yesterday we finished a bit earlier and I was able to get into the gym before the evening rush.  It was deadlift day again - the worksets were:

67.5kg x3

77.5kg x3

87.5kg x3+ (I did 8).

Then it was on to the 5x10 deadlifts  - this week I upped the weight to 50kg and still found it easy, although my grip was a bit tired by the end.  Next week I'll try 60kg!

The other accessory was lying bent-knee raises which I managed 5x10 of this week, so next week I'll move onto the next exercise in the progression.

In other news, we passed our referencing and got the house!  Just confirming a moving date with the new landlord, but we'll probably looking at 3-4 weeks so it's going to be full steam ahead on the packing over the next few weeks!

• Like 3

Congratulations on the house! When are you moving in?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Congratulations on the house! When are you moving in?

Still negotiating that, but it looks like we'll get the keys in three weeks and have the whole weekend to move & clean the old place, which should work out nicely.

Unfortunately, I also got a phone call yesterday from my job interview last week and I didn't get it.  They said my answers were fantastic and my practical clinical coding test was brilliant, but I was just up against several other really strong candidates.  They did say that they'll be advertising another couple of positions within six months and will email me so I know to apply, so at least there's that.  But for now, still no job.

Friday weight: 118.7kg - hoping to get this moving down properly again now.

Thursday steps: 8704 (3898 over target for the week) - the weather's going to be thundery & miserable here until Sunday now, so probably not going to do well with steps for the next few days.

Thursday calories: 2652 (30 over target for the week) - self-soothed with wine last night so not going into the weekend with a calorie deficit this time.

Got the moping and self-pity out my system last night, so this morning (with an ever-so slight headache) I headed to the gym for Bench Press day.  The main work sets were:

45kg x3

52.5kg x3

57.5kg x3+ (I did 6).

This was followed up with 5x10 DB bench press @ 2x15kg.  Last week I had to split it up into smaller sets as it went on, but this time I managed all the full sets so I'll put the weight up to 2x17.5kg next week.

Then it was 5x10 bent-over DB row @ 17.5kg (up from last week).  I managed 5x10 of this as well, so next week that'll go up to a 20kg DB.

The theme for the rest of the day is bascially going to be intense job hunting.  I've been checking and applying all over the place, but clearly I need to step things another notch now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Big_Show said:

They did say that they'll be advertising another couple of positions within six months and will email me so I know to apply, so at least there's that.  But for now, still no job.

This is a very good sign! I would suggest getting your application ready so you don't lose/waste time when they email you about the new position. 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is a very good sign! I would suggest getting your application ready so you don't lose/waste time when they email you about the new position. 

Good idea, I'll see if there's anything I can do in the meantime to add to my CV too in case they decide to play spot the difference with my last application.

Saturday weight: 117.9kg - that's better!

Friday steps: 5224 (2122 over target for the week) - miserable weather, as predicted.  It's still August but it kinda feels like autumn already!

Friday calories: 2607 (33 over target for the week) - very surprised and impressed by this!  The Welshman made us Pinch of Nom's Spinach, Feta and Potato bake for dinner which tastes like an absolute treat and is still actually diet food - that section of the venn diagram is sadly too small!

This morning I headed to the gym for the squat workout - my work sets were:

60kg x3

67.5kg x3

77.5kg x3+ (I did 6)

The first accessory lift was 5x10 hack squat @ 50kg - this was up 10kg from last week and I managed all the sets as prescribed, so I was clearly right to put it up!  Up again next week.

The other accessory was 5x10 lunges with 2x5kg DB - after last week's failure after 2 sets with 2x10kg I'm glad I dropped the weight, as my legs were dead by the end.  But I managed it, so next week I'll be using 2x7.5kg DB.

There was only one other guy in the gym and it was really impressive to watch - he was half my size, wore a compression top with no rolls sticking out, deadlifted 145kg (by my furtive counting), did weighted pull-ups, and when I left he was warming up with my military press worksets.  I was starting to feel a bit demoralised thinking about it on the way home, but then I realised that his deadlift is where I should be in a year if I stick to this programme, and this morning I fit into a shirt that I haven't been able to wear since last year so I'm making my own progress and he is irrelevant.  Just inspiration, not competition.

The plan for the rest of the day is to start doing some packing, then tonight we're cooking all the random leftover food from the freezer and playing some of the various card & board games we keep not getting round to playing.  Seeing as it's due to start lashing down again in a couple of hours this seems like the best approach!

• Like 5

On 8/21/2020 at 5:44 AM, Big_Show said:

Not much planned for the rest of the day - feeling like catching up with the various Arrowverse shows and I'm now a good few years behind, so think I might start working on that this afternoon.  Think I'm near the end of Arrow S6 , and the equivalent week for Supergirl and The Flash as well (LoT was a shorter season).

Ha! I watched up through the crisis on infinite earths crossover this year, which was honestly VERY GOOD. Beyond that, I'm only planning on sticking with Legends moving forward. (also watched 3 episodes of Batwoman and couldn't hack it, but now that they've recasted Ruby Rose, I might try again)

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

12 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Ha! I watched up through the crisis on infinite earths crossover this year, which was honestly VERY GOOD. Beyond that, I'm only planning on sticking with Legends moving forward. (also watched 3 episodes of Batwoman and couldn't hack it, but now that they've recasted Ruby Rose, I might try again)

I'm thinking I'll pootle through them until I reach the end of Arrow then probably just stick with Legends as well, it's been consistently the most entertaining one for me.

Let's see, where were we:

Sunday weight: 118.8kg

Saturday steps: 9333 (4455 over target for the week)

Saturday calories: 4100 (1529 over target for the week)

Saturday was indeed miserable weather, and when we popped out for a pint we took a 90s trivia card game with us and ended up settling in and staying for several, so that made a refreshing change.  For dinner we basically emptied loads of the random half-empty packets out of the freezer and cooked them all (seeing as we need to empty it all before we move anyway) so that made nice little treat meal!

Monday weight: 118.9kg

Sunday steps: 9351 (6806 over target for the week) -

Sunday calories: 2662 (1587 over target for the week) -

Sunday involved no exercise, but I did go round to my parents' and spend an hour or so hacking back the massively overgrown lavendar bush from their front garden, so I'm counting that for the day. 

Monday was a bank holiday so the gym was a bit busier than normal when I headed there.  Still not too crowded though.  It was my military press day, and the first workout of the 5/3/1 week - the work sets were:

32.5kg x5

37.5kg x3

40kg x1+ (I did 3).

First accessory was the 5x10 DB military press, which I put the weight up to 2x10kg this week - I managed all the reps, but I did have to split some of the later sets.

The other accessory was 5x10 barbell rows @ 35kg which I also had to split up towards the end as well, so same there again next week.

Tuesday weight: 118.1kg

Monday steps: 9832 (9638 over target for the week)

Monday calories: 2528 (1511 over target for the week)

This morning was the 5/3/1 deadlift day - work sets were:

72.5kg x5

82.5kg x3

92.5kg x1+ (I did 6).

Accessory was 5x10 deadlifts again, which I stepped up to 60kg this week - I managed them all but my grip was quite tired by the end, so not sure whether to put them up again next week or leave them at 60kg for now.

Final accessoary was 5x10 lying bent-leg raises, which I completed even though the last few sets properly knacked - upwards with the progression again next week!

The rest of the day is back to the job hunting and packing more of the house up ahead of the move.  Only two weekends left before it so we want to get ahead of the game!

• Like 1

Thursday weight: 117.3 kg - finally hit a new low since I started all this on July 1st!

Wednesday steps: 10,983 (3983 under target for the week) - between walking round the supermarket and going for a couple of wanders later on I got myself a nice total for the day.

Wednesday calories: 2810 (206 over target for the week) - eating was good today, but we decided to have a little midweek drink and that tipped my calories over for the day.  No booze tonight to compensate for it, and should give me a nice little deficit heading into the weekend.  Nothing major planned, but we are going for a curry for my sister's birthday on Friday.

This morning I walked round to the gym for the 5/3/1 workout of bench press - the worksets were:

50kg x5

55kg x3

62.5 x1+ (I did 5).  It's been years since I benched, but I don't think I ever really got further than this so I'm quite pleased with it.

The first accessory was 5x10 DB bench press @ 2x17.5kg - I put the weight up this week and so was unsuprised when I had to split the sets up a bit (10, ,10, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5).

The other accessory was 5x10 bent-over DB row @ 20kg - this was also an increase on last week and was also split sets (10, 9, 9, 8, 8, 7).

I'll be going to the gym tomorrow morning for my last workout of the week - I was supposed to be going on Saturday morning, but due to the aforementioned curry night I'm bringing the workout forward a day on account of it involving squats... 😆

After that workout I'll be doing a challenge wrap-up and taking the weekend off ahead of the new challenge boards going up next week.  I'm really pleased with my progress over the last few weeks, and it'll be interesting to properly crunch the numbers and see what I've accomplished.