• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I've recently committed to upping my fruit and veggies to a minimum of 5 a day. It sounds simple on paper but I'm struggling to work out what counts as one portion. I'll explain... I often cook from scratch and more often than not this can turn into one pot meals such as chilli con carne or curries where all the vegetables are in the same pot. IIf you've got a chicken breast with a handful of steams broccoli or carrots it's easy to see you have two portions (one each of carrots and broccoli) but how do you do this for a plate of mixed up goodness?

So back to my chilli example, in it went onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, courgette and peppers... am I hitting my 5 a day from just that meal? Is that close enough or do I have to be more scientific with this?

I generally consider a fist volume to be one serving, but you can really decide what works best for you! In terms of the 'one pot meals', what I would do is figure out how many servings are in the entire recipe, and then divide that by how many portions you get from the recipe. A bit of variation here and there won't matter much.

• Like 1

Thanks you two. Who would have thought that baked beans count as one of your 5 a day!? Yeah it just gets a bit tricky when you go over one serving. It's easy to see one plate where you've got that fistful of broccoli with your chicken that's obviously one serving. It's a great idea to just put a little bit more thought into the meal prep. I generally know how many meals the pot will provide so I can work backwards from there.

I'd say a good 50% of meals are one pot meals like a chilli, curry or even something like a spaghetti bolognase is all in one pan. So if I roughly measure servings of veg per intended servings as a starting point and see what that looks like. If my veg to pan ratio is looking full I can always then say do some stuffed pepper sides (half a pepper = 1 serving) to go with the chilli instead of throwing it all in and losing sight of how much I'm actually eating.

I'm formulating a plan!

• Like 1