Simply Snarkyfishguts

So my schedule:

Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I will exercise and work.

Wednesdays is for cleaning. 

Evenings and weekends are free. 

I just had a long talk with my folks and basically said "I'm not retired, and I need more structure for myself, and that means imposing a little structure on you only in that if you want me to help out with things, make it Wednesday or a weekend." and they are totally on board with that. 

I'm shooting for about 25 hours a week of work. I figure that is about the amount I used to work in higher ed minus bullshit meetings, so I'm going to take the hours I save from no meetings about meetings to exercise :D  That gives me more time to check off some of the extra stuff I want to do like online classes, reading, crafts, videogames, and sitting outside drinking tea. 

With exercise, I need more rest. I'm done striving for double dollar days. I'm just going to be content with four days of exercise, and then on Wednesdays I'll clean and do yard work and whatever. Then I promised myself no matter what, I'll rest on sundays completely and just enjoy life. 

For nutrition, I'm cutting way back on sugar, and have scheduled meals now. I'm also going to join My Fitness Pal in support of my mom. I'm not going to take it strictly like before, but I just want to be supportive of her on those days when she's like "I can't count this. I'm so tired of this!" then I can count it, and she can copy mine. It'll be good for me to face the reality of my eating anyway. I'm ready to level up the nutrition goals.

I'm preparing today and starting tomorrow :D

• Like 7

I earned my dollar today with Ringfit. I took four days off.  I probably could've gotten back to exercising yesterday, but honestly, I really, REALLY enjoyed being lazy for a day. I definitely lost some strength in the last four days, but I feel so good right now that I am happy with that choice to rest and recover. 

Myfitnesspal is a total asshole of the app world. An apphole. 

Yes, I spent way too much time on that one

Today I sent in a draft of the commission I'm working on. My brother helped me over the weekend because he's the very best brother ever and knows about fonts. I slept in this morning, WHICH NEVER HAPPENS, But I think the combination of rest days from working out, and taking charge of stuff in my life has really contributed to being able to sleep 8 hours. And then tonight she sleep 3 hours just to be spiteful.

Well...that's all I got. Have a great day!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Myfitnesspal is a total asshole of the app world. An apphole. 

Yes, I spent way too much time on that one.

1) Worth it!

2) Now I have a word to accurately describe: Enerplexfit, Twitter, The Facebook app... and all the other apps on my phone that send excessive notifications, fuck with my settings, and/or drain my battery unnecessarily. "Shut the fuck up you stupid apphole!"

3) Why didn't I think of this.

• Haha 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

24 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

1) Worth it!

2) Now I have a word to accurately describe: Enerplexfit, Twitter, The Facebook app... and all the other apps on my phone that send excessive notifications, fuck with my settings, and/or drain my battery unnecessarily. "Shut the fuck up you stupid apphole!"

3) Why didn't I think of this.

3) You were too busy building incredible worlds complete with amazing characters with entire lives with your idea thing in your head because you're awesome like that. :) 

I'm glad you like it! I'm going to throw myself a parade now. 

• Like 1

Evening update 

Dinner was terrible and I got to delete some calories I didn’t  eat, and now I am having a beer for dinner, because thats the kind of day its been. Mom got so worked up over calorie counting at lunch that she threw up almost all her lunch. i mean.. that's some stress, amirite?
I took her phone and inputed all her food for the day and said “this is a tool, not a punishment”  Tomorrow after work I’m gonna input some recipes and meals we like to make it easier for us. 

I mean, she THREW UP from the stress. Thats not okay. She hasn't done that since my grandpap died. I feel a little lost on how to proceed from here. What would you do?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I mean, she THREW UP from the stress. Thats not okay. She hasn't done that since my grandpap died. I feel a little lost on how to proceed from here. What would you do?

I think I'd give up on her counting calories if it were me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I think thats best, but she really wants to do this. I’m hoping we just say look, three meals is good enough! Because I dont think This is a healthy option for her emotionally. ☹️

If she really wants to do this, have you thought about smaller steps? If she JUST started using MFP, the better thing is to just start with putting in the data. Get a baseline to see how many calories she is normally eating. Then, once you have a few weeks of just tracking (like at least two) start working toward making healthier swaps. 

Remind her that if she really wants to do this, smaller steps are the way to go. And the forums are rooting for her too!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

What would you do?

I agree with Sylvaa. But maybe take it even simpeler: let her track what she eats on paper, and help her put it into her phone at the end of the day. After a week or so she'll have a better understanding of what she's eating and you can use her average kcal as a baseline to calculate what she can eat to lose weight (which might be higher than what she's eating now and can reduce stress even furrher)

• Like 2
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

9 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

If she really wants to do this, have you thought about smaller steps? If she JUST started using MFP, the better thing is to just start with putting in the data. Get a baseline to see how many calories she is normally eating. Then, once you have a few weeks of just tracking (like at least two) start working toward making healthier swaps. 

Remind her that if she really wants to do this, smaller steps are the way to go. And the forums are rooting for her too!

I think we're going to do this today. Find some recipes we love and just put them in and see if that doesn't help. We definitely dove into the deep end, and need more time to swear at the app while inputting stuff so later we swear a little less for meal planning :D 

5 hours ago, Terah said:

I agree with Sylvaa. But maybe take it even simpeler: let her track what she eats on paper, and help her put it into her phone at the end of the day. After a week or so she'll have a better understanding of what she's eating and you can use her average kcal as a baseline to calculate what she can eat to lose weight (which might be higher than what she's eating now and can reduce stress even furrher)

The kcal average is a good idea. I think we need to stay away from paper, because writing this down is more triggering than the phone, but I think the idea of doing something with the data rather than just logging will appeal to her. She's secretly a mathematician and scientist. She loves data, testing things out, and seeing the results. 

4 hours ago, deftona said:

Yeah I think a food journal where you track it for her might be a better option. 

But why does she want to calorie count so badly, despite how it makes her feel?

Inflammation and pain. Her hips ache all the time, and she wants to lose 20-30 pounds to get some pressure off her joints. Also, she's watching a lot of her friends getting older and dying, and she's really feeling her mortality. 

You know, I wrote down a couple paragraphs about her and trying to figure this all out, and it strikes me that this is a pattern with my challenges. That around this point of the challenges, my parents experience some personal crisis one way or another. I don't think they're like "Muwahahaha, let's stress out Snarky because she's not paying attention to us!"  But there's always some kind of family related stress thing around this time and I struggle with where my responsibility is in the situation. I don't think it's going to change. There's always going to be something. So I need to set some boundaries between being supportive but not taking on their problems. This is also hard, but personal growth is good.

So we'll plan menus, input recipes, and make a shopping list. And then I'm going to move on with my day. I'll keep you updated! Thanks everyone, your suggestions are all awesome and I think this will really help us in the future. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

You know, I wrote down a couple paragraphs about her and trying to figure this all out, and it strikes me that this is a pattern with my challenges. That around this point of the challenges, my parents experience some personal crisis one way or another. I don't think they're like "Muwahahaha, let's stress out Snarky because she's not paying attention to us!"  But there's always some kind of family related stress thing around this time and I struggle with where my responsibility is in the situation. I don't think it's going to change. There's always going to be something. So I need to set some boundaries between being supportive but not taking on their problems. This is also hard, but personal growth is good.

This is good awareness. Simple to write, hard to do, and very much worth all the hard work.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is good awareness. Simple to write, hard to do, and very much worth all the hard work.

Thanks. Right now I'm on my time, and my door is shut and I said "I'm working now. See y'all at dinnertime!" :D  

Today has been easier. We had breakfast, then when she started getting upset about calories, I said "The meals are counted for today. Let's go punch things" and we did 40 minutes of Fitness Boxing together. Punching the air is very helpful. 

Myfitnesspal (MFP) is doing a promotion that you can sign up for a free month of premium, and then they charge ya. So we're signed up, and there are recipes for meals that are already counted, and you bet your bippy we are totally doing that. 

Okay. I've spent enough time on this. I'm going to check out everyone else's posts :D 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2
10 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Thanks. Right now I'm on my time, and my door is shut and I said "I'm working now. See y'all at dinnertime!" :D  

Today has been easier. We had breakfast, then when she started getting upset about calories, I said "The meals are counted for today. Let's go punch things" and we did 40 minutes of Fitness Boxing together. Punching the air is very helpful. 

Myfitnesspal (MFP) is doing a promotion that you can sign up for a free month of premium, and then they charge ya. So we're signed up, and there are recipes for meals that are already counted, and you bet your bippy we are totally doing that. 

Okay. I've spent enough time on this. I'm going to check out everyone else's posts :D 

Wow, you did amazing! Setting boundaries AND being really good to your mom. She's so lucky to have you ❤️ 

• Thanks 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

We're still counting calories and it's a little easier. We're adapting. Yesterday we learned the valuable lesson of "You don't have to eat it because you counted it" when we were full at dinner but finished it anyway. It was almost worth the stomach ache :D 

I cleaned for about six hours yesterday. I didn't get to everything, but what I did get to is so frikikin clean. I wore myself out, which defeated the purpose of a rest day but (shrugs) I'm loving the clean. Today I'm just gonna ride the bike and get some yoga in. 

Everything is kinda boring at home right now, which is AWESOME.  the world is exciting enough. I hope everyone is staying safe around gulf coast area. 

• Like 6

Weigh Day! I lost two pounds today, weighing in at 261. 

I went over my calories yesterday. I HAVE NO REGRETS. It was a very hormonal day, and I was too tired from not sleeping well. I got a lot of rest, ate popcorn, and listened to thunderstorms all night. We really needed the rain. 

I didn't stick to my workout schedule yesterday, but I'm going back to it today. I'm so not even excited about it at all. Today is definitely a "frizzle frazzle daggum darn stupid argh" kind of day and I'm ready to punch it in the face and go back to bed. 

Fitness boxing and a nap would work.... Okay, I'm feeling better about this. I will get this done for NAPS. :D 

• Like 5

Well, this week was okay. I'm okay with this week. I exercised three days, and that's three more dollars. I'm at 99 dollars now for a winter coat. I am pushing myself more during my workout time, and it's really satisfying. I'm really happy with my progress.  

Counting calories isn't fun, but we're way past the stressful point we started at when I panicked about Mom throwing up. She's still really stressed out about it, but we had fun this week. We ordered a pizza (and counted it) and we had chocolate (and counted it) and there were days when we said "We need more calories today. Let's eat something else!"  We're grasping the idea that we're in charge, not calorie counts. 

I still have trouble sleeping. Lately, I've been having a lot of nightmares or I wake up and can't fall asleep again. I'm really sad about people dying from police shootings, coronavirus, cancer, and natural disasters. I read this really good middle grade novel, The Summer of 1000 Pies. And it was so good, but I felt so sad for a lot of the characters. I think I need a book that is silly. Anyone read a good happy, silly, book they think would be good?

• Like 4
On 8/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I still have trouble sleeping. Lately, I've been having a lot of nightmares or I wake up and can't fall asleep

Me too! What's up with that?

On 8/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

think I need a book that is silly. Anyone read a good happy, silly, book they think would be good?

How about a cute children's book? 

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

36 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yes! What do you recommend?

Good Night Little One by Margaret Wise Brown is my fav. My copy is a board book-I'm not sure if it comes in another type.

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie (I forget the author)

I can probably come up with more if I think a bit.

• Thanks 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

How about a cute children's book? 

40 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

uncertain times continuing for another season, I suspect. 

Yes! What do you recommend?

image.png.96d5ff90620a334a76a02bd6b31a88f1.png

• Thanks 1