iatetheyeti: emergence ii: the seed redux

I'm sorry that you had to deal with medication interaction hell. I agree with Tank that you handled it well.

I hope you get past the withdrawal symptoms quickly and that the new plan does what you want with no nasty side-effects.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm really proud of you for asking sunshine to come over. I saw a webcomic one time that said that all animals are born with their most important survival tactic. It listed what a bunch of other animals can do when they are born and it said humans can you cry. Which means are very most important survival tactic is asking for help. You were extremely human in that moment and did a wise thing for your survival. And I'm glad you did it. 

I had to fight against my isolation instinct to do it, and I'm both relieved and happy that I did. She quite literally abandoned her dinner and managed to get here in under fifteen minutes, and I really couldn't thank her enough for it.

25 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I'm sorry that you had to deal with medication interaction hell. I agree with Tank that you handled it well.

I hope you get past the withdrawal symptoms quickly and that the new plan does what you want with no nasty side-effects.

Apparently because I was only on it for a relatively short period of time the withdrawal should pass quickly, but stopping cold turkey didn't exactly help matters there. Though I'd rather deal with this than what was happening before. Here's hoping the new plan works out better too!

• Like 4
15 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Scottish Gaelic and ancestry, or Irish? Either way, it's definitely worth learning about.

Scottish.  My paternal grandfather and his family before him were from Cowdenbeath and the surrounding area

15 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

And just because apparently I like to make life really interesting, I called my brother over discord and the three of us chatted for a few hours, during which time not only did I tell him about what's been going on with me for all of this year, but I also came out to him as nonbinary. His response was 'you do you' followed by asking whether or not I was alright with being referred to with she/her pronouns, then being pretty cool about changing his approach to refer to me by neutral pronouns. Both he and Sunshine are now adjusting, and it seemed like they actually bonded a bit over that. They're getting on really well together and I've even managed to convince my brother to come down and meet her in person.

So awesome!  I am really glad you are getting so much support :) 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Scottish.  My paternal grandfather and his family before him were from Cowdenbeath and the surrounding area

Funnily enough, I work in Cowdenbeath and live a stone's throw away from it! I'm slowly learning about the history of the area, partly through Sunshine as her family has been here for generations.

21 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

So awesome!  I am really glad you are getting so much support :) 

It was strange because I didn't plan on doing it, our conversation drifted towards our parents' homophobia and then towards his own attitudes, and when he said he never understood why people got hate just because they were different, I sort of went for it. And I couldn't be happier with the results. 

• Like 5

ZERO WEEK

I've now reached the jakey shakes stage of withdrawal. It's... something. Though thankfully it's not nearly as bad now as it was earlier. Started in the morning, kicked itself into high gear when I got to work, and began to settle towards the end of work. I'm hoping they'll be gone tomorrow! But everyone at work has been understanding about it, so that's something. Nothing much else to report for today, just finalising my plans for my week off and the start of the challenge.

• Like 3
On 7/26/2020 at 2:54 PM, iatetheyeti said:

In a way I'm quite lucky, this challenge will officially kick off right when I get a week off of work, so I'll have time and space to implement these changes and enough time to build up some momentum to carry it all on when I do get back into it.

This is fantastic. I feel really lucky when I start focusing on a thing and have more open time to feel my way around it to see how it might want to play out. Hope you find some great insight to utilize on your challenge.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Terinatum said:

This is fantastic. I feel really lucky when I start focusing on a thing and have more open time to feel my way around it to see how it might want to play out. Hope you find some great insight to utilize on your challenge.

I am definitely grateful that it's worked out this way, especially with recent events. And I'm certainly looking for that insight, anyway!

• Like 3

ZERO WEEK

Flying visit tonight just to keep the heck-in habit alive. I'm absolutely exhausted. Work was flat out and the weather is still horrifically humid, so walking home was something of a trial. However, that is me done for the next eight days. Tomorrow is very much going to be a quiet recovery day, something to set me up for success in the week to come. I'll catch up with everyone then as well, but for now I'm going to cool down and relax.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

ZERO WEEK FIN.

You know what I did today that I haven't done in forever? Woke up naturally. No alarms for me this morning! It felt wonderful. Also, didn't beat myself up about getting up later than usual. I needed the rest, I'm well aware of that, and in a weird way, not setting an alarm felt very much like giving myself permission to have it. Strange, but I'll go with whatever works right now. Things are improving on the withdrawal front as well, far, far less in the way of symptoms today. Still not feeling quite right, but I am now confident in my ability to be functional again. My mood and emotions have settled in an incredibly noticeable way, and that's the most important thing.

Today was very much a rest day and also something of a self-care kind of day. I did a handful of things I've been meaning to do for a while, including give myself a haircut. This one was inspired by the ridiculous weather and my inability as a Scottish person to handle the heat. I still have the hair on top of my head, and I think whatever colour it is now (was once purple, is now very much faded) works quite well, but the back and sides are gone. My scalp wasn't happy with the close shave, but I'm feeling the benefits already.

Also weighed myself for the first time in a long time. Got myself one of those fancy sets of scales that do a body analysis. Why? Because I want to know what I'm working with and I'm in the right mindset to see the data for it is, just data. That didn't stop me being happy about weighing in at less than I expected, or my body fat percentage being less than I expected (but almost certainly not as low as the scales told me, but that's just fine, I'm using that number as a guide rather than a concrete fact). Still, the numbers have helped me tighten up a few parts of my plan.

Tomorrow will be day one of week one. I intend to get up first thing for a run (with my ten minutes of movement serving as a warm up), and I will post a picture in order to keep myself accountable. Following that I will take some time to do some household chores, ensure I get in my daily creative time and learning time, and ensure I eat and hydrate properly. Late afternoon will see me walk the small handful of miles to meet Sunshine after she's finished work, then back to her place. Possibly to walk some more as she's looking after five dogs for the week...

I'm feeling quite good about things and that's an attitude I hope to be able to maintain.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

but almost certainly not as low as the scales told me, but that's just fine, I'm using that number as a guide rather than a concrete fact

Those scales are completely inaccurate*, but generally consistent so even though the nominal numbers can't be relied on, the trends are usually meaningful.  

* We have 3 in our house and show my BF% as being 20%, 24%, and 27% respectively.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Those scales are completely inaccurate*, but generally consistent so even though the nominal numbers can't be relied on, the trends are usually meaningful.  

* We have 3 in our house and show my BF% as being 20%, 24%, and 27% respectively.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting pinpoint accuracy, especially considering how little I paid! Having some sort of guide is what I was after as I can't rely solely on what I see in the mirror, and if the numbers are consistent (even if highly inaccurate!) then that's good enough for me for now.

• Like 1

WEEK ONE DAY ONE

It has become apparent today that I need to face the reality of running when there are people around. I originally had my alarm set for 5am, which would have had me out for a run at 5:30am. I set it forward an hour when it got to midnight and I had been unable to get to sleep. In the end, some time around 1am, I went to sleep only to wake up at 4:22am. A car ran into the lamppost outside the pub I live next to. When 6am rolled around I very reluctantly got out of bed, cursing profusely, and made myself some coffee. Eventually I did get out, and apparently I seized the only window of good weather today:

As promised. And as well as providing some sort of photographic evidence whenever I go for a run, I've decided on jumping into a photo-a-day thing as well. Traditionally these things are started on Jan 1st, but I see no reason why Aug 3rd an't be a good start date! I've sorely missed getting out and about for photography, so I'm really hoping this will help get me back into that again. Also it will count towards daily creative time!

The rest of the day has been spent in a bit of a haze of tiredness. I've managed to get a number of household jobs done, and I did sit down to try and focus on language learning but apparently that's not to be today. Which... ok. Not ideal. Now I know I need to make some adjustments so I'm not stuck with this exhaustion. Now, this isn't the same kind of thing I was struggling with before and was given medication for, this is what happens when my brain psyches itself out with the knowledge that I need to get up early the next day and somehow translates that into not sleeping.

So I got a run and my movement done, attempted the learning, got the creative time in during my run (which was a shambling effort of unknown length and I stopped to crouch in a muddy puddle to take a picture of a fern caught in the sunlight in just the right way), and I'm slowly working on my hydration. Also doing well with sugar today despite no real effort on my behalf. Only had it in my coffee (which, let's face it, will never be given up for any great length of time) and the rest of the day has been all about savoury food.

Now all that's left to do is pack an overnight bag, hop on a bus, and meet a small pack of dogs!

• Like 6

can you take pictures of the dogs??? :)

hopefully the sleeping will improve! ❤️ I had problems yesterday night as well. Maybe its the full moon today ??? 

loving the pic of the trail. I would love love to run again when I see that. Maybe I will...

big hug! have fun with sunshine!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

can you take pictures of the dogs??? :)

hopefully the sleeping will improve! ❤️ I had problems yesterday night as well. Maybe its the full moon today ??? 

loving the pic of the trail. I would love love to run again when I see that. Maybe I will...

big hug! have fun with sunshine!

I can and I did :D I'll put them up when I update this evening! And fun was had, very much so. Those dogs are wonderful, wonderful pups.

I'll figure out something for the sleeping, I haven't exhausted (er, no pun intended, I guess...) every option yet, so I'll just work through things, keep talking to the doctors, and see how it goes.

20 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Nice trail!  I love trails in the woods.  🙂

So do I, and I got lucky enough to recently move to a place with a lovely forest almost on the doorstep. Plenty of places to explore whether running or walking!

• Like 3

WEEK ONE DAY TWO

Apparently update is now because I am tired and would like an early night.

Though yesterday evening had a bit of a rocky start (I had one of Sunshine's co-workers call me as she'd had a panic attack, so I got over there as soon as I could), it turned out well. The dogs are amazing. I didn't quite know what sort of reaction to expect from them, but I needn't have worried. Turns out they like me already! Except apparently I'm making poor Sam incredibly jealous by spending most of my time on the sofa with Sunshine and without him! This is the poor boy in question:

Today was good as well. I did not do any running or a workout, but I did do my ten minutes of movement. Half of that time was spent running around the back garden with the pack, and the other half of that time was spent doing some yoga. Also with the pack. They were interested, to say the least. I did quite well with hydration as well, and though we did order pizza there wasn't actually anything much in the way of massive sugar consumption. Only my morning coffee!

The plan for tonight is to wind down and get a good sleep. Tomorrow I'm aiming to get a handful of very specific things done before I head back over to Sunshine's place for another night and day of dog-filled chaos.

And here are the rest of the pack!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the photo a day thing's a great idea, and stopping to admire the view definitely makes running more fun. I never used to allow myself to do that because I thought I should be focusing on my training, and it turns out I was missing out for no good reason!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

how wonderful!!!!!! those dogs and you look awesome!!!!! ❤️

see ya tomorrow! :)

I love those dogs already, I really do! Heh, and I'm trying to help myself become more comfortable in front of the camera instead of staying behind it all the time. Apparently dog selfies are the way forward for this!

17 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I think the photo a day thing's a great idea, and stopping to admire the view definitely makes running more fun. I never used to allow myself to do that because I thought I should be focusing on my training, and it turns out I was missing out for no good reason!

I might change my tune when I actually start training for something properly, but for now, when what I'm doing is supposed to be easy and enjoyable? Yeah, I'll absolutely stop and enjoy the view!

• Like 5
On 8/5/2020 at 8:55 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Those puppers look wonderful.  Also really glad you got a chance to be there for Sunshine when she needed it :) 

Jealous of your proximity to nature

They're the best bunch of absolute morons I've had the pleasure of meeting! I'm really glad I was here too, especially since things ended up taking a turn for the worse.

• Like 1

WEEK ONE DAY FIVE

To say things have not gone to plan would be an understatement, yet life happens and all we can do is our best. My plan for Wednesday did not happen. What happened instead is that I got a message from Sunshine in the morning, about five minutes after I'd got out of bed, saying that she wasn't going into work as she'd just had a seizure (she suffers from epilepsy). I basically threw everything I needed into a bag and ran for the bus there and then. Fortunately she was relatively alright, but quite seriously shaken up. I spent the rest of Wednesday hovering around her like some kind of demented helicopter parent refusing to let her do anything that required more than the faintest of efforts. As for how that went, well, her stubbornness almost matches mine! Yesterday was better though. We got out for a short walk and made sure the dogs had plenty of exercise. And today she's back to work and I am finally home.

In summary, goals were flung aside. I did do some yoga, push-ups, and planks throughout the days, but adding five dogs into that mix brings some new challenges.

Plan for the rest of the day is to tidy my flat and figure out what I need to do next. The latter while sat down. I'm a little tired!

• Like 5