• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ann of Vries

The Entwife’s Heart II: Beyond Rivendell

I like that I can now call my toddler-carrying “rucking” as a legit work-out XD (Although I just walk, running is not advised while doing carries due to possible injury or joint damage for the little one.)

Find the Entwives

The Mr drove 3.5 hours to our new place for the building survey (house inspection for the USians). I stayed in London with the Enting for various reasons, but Mr kept me up to date with video calls and took about a million photos for planning purposes. The inspection came back excellent and we are happy. The sellers are evidently keen to move in September, and so we’re hoping that everyone’s desire to get moved will turn into action and reality. 

Friday was also the third hottest day on record in the UK so the river down the lane was evidently very popular. I look forward to visiting it on hot days next summer.

9D6F6889-D17D-4AE5-A1E3-1BC4A0C68AA3.thumb.jpeg.6294689d2b6f034066747e25e1e1fe93.jpeg

Beyond Rivendell

Walking has been on and off. Hot days were hot and I got knocked down by a nasty headache on Saturday. But progress is being made, and I‘m only a couple of miles behind target. 167 miles to go....

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rucking almost never involves running. 

Ah! I assumed rucking was running with extra weight.

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Those people in the river look like they could be in Texas..

Escaping the heat? (Mr did say that despite the horde of people there, they were being good at social distancing.) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Ah! I assumed rucking was running with extra weight.

Rucking is Simple
You wear a backpack, walk, it's a fitness thing. And you're already doing it. Hiking is rucking in the mountains and urban hiking is simply called rucking. Rucking exercises can be done at any weight.

And your backpack shifts his curious little body around giving you even more of a core workout!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Escaping the heat?

That and the countryside. I've seen very similar rivers in Texas, and I've seen Texans in said rivers cooling off in similar ways to the people in the picture.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That and the countryside. I've seen very similar rivers in Texas, and I've seen Texans in said rivers cooling off in similar ways to the people in the picture.

Ah! I guess my brain can’t equate “English countryside” with “Texan countryside” but my experiences of Texas are limited XD But in a more general sense, I understand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

And your backpack shifts his curious little body around giving you even more of a core workout!

I often joke that my Physio would be happy that I’m finally working my core muscles like she was always on me about doing :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A slight lull in ambitions at the moment as the Enting has picked up a summer cold and is miserable and can’t go to nursery, and I have a lesser version and no childcare XD We are not having any Covid-like symptoms to worry about, but I’m a bit concerned that we’ve been in enough contact with other humans in the area to pick up any bugs since we haven’t been sick since winter what with Lockdown and all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Yesterday, Enting’s symptoms moved in a “Covid-y” type direction, and then Mr and I also began going downhill. I decided we should get tested, just in case.

We’re still pretty sure it’s just a cold, but we want to be very sure.

C8755349-BB45-426D-9B2C-252C9A27233A.thumb.jpeg.3dd91b638ae916bb317da725e324f054.jpeg

Let me tell you, swabbing a 2 year old is not a thing of joy.

We are self-isolating until we have confirmation of negative (and if it’s positive, we’ll go from there). We have ordered a lot of ready meals for the next few days because either way, if we’re half as bad as the Enting, the adults are going to be running on bare minimum survival standards for a few days.

I am not getting my walking goals in, no surprise there. I’m trying not to care about it, but it’s hard.

• Like 6

On 8/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, Ann of Vries said:

I am not getting my walking goals in, no surprise there. I’m trying not to care about it, but it’s hard.

Do not worry about walking goals at this time.  You and your family's health is always the primary focus. 

Once your body is healthy, you can start worrying about your walking goals.

(I know you know this already.  But, confirming with a voice other than your own can be helpful sometimes.)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

We are all still quite sick, but the test came back negative so there’s that at least.

Glad to hear that even though you're still under the weather :( 

• Like 1

Oh, hey, here you are! I was wondering where you'd gotten off to. Serves me right for rarely getting around to any non-Adventurer threads.

Sorry to hear you've been sick -- but VERY happy to hear you didn't have THE THING. Hope you all get better soon!

On 8/2/2020 at 2:18 AM, Ann of Vries said:

The sellers are evidently keen to move in September, and so we’re hoping that everyone’s desire to get moved will turn into action and reality. 

EEEEE this is so exciting -- and not just because you've extended any ill-considered invitations or anything :) Congratulations on the successful survey, and good luck with the crazy process of getting ready to move house, with a toddler, during a global pandemic. You never do anything the easy way, do you? ;)

• Like 1

Right, so... challenge update. Um... there is no update? We are now otherwise symptom free, but still exhausted and weak. (Except the Enting, who is still snotty but full of vim and vigour.) I think the mid-30s C London temperature (note AirCon isn’t a thing in the usually mild UK) hasn’t helped us much on the recovery front. The excessive heat should break in a couple of days... hopefully....

I am behind on everything. The household, admin, fitness goals, NF threads....

Well, the one thing we stayed on top of was house selling/buying admin. It was the thing we prioritized because we didn’t want the move to fall behind on our end. There was some fun things to be learned about the history of the property we’re buying—

It turns out our property has lots of old deeds and covenants on it that we’re trying to figure out if they even still apply. Like, back in 1921, the local rich folks with the mansion sold part of their holding to add to what is now the (late Victorian) cottage’s property on the basis that no manufacturing or industrial buildings be erected. (Specifically it said no industrial chimney stacks.) Basically, “we’ll sell you this land, but don’t make our view ugly.” No problem! We hadn’t planned to anyway. (Rich family has long since sold the mansion which is now a holiday rental, so not even sure anyone is keeping track.)

There’s a right-of-way mapped for a local farm that basically drives through the now much extended cottage. We suspect at some point the cottage was part of the farm and sold privately, but the pastures (now ours) were still part of that farm and they needed access. Also early 20th century, and also we suspect not really valid anymore. 

The woodland (makes up around 50% of the property) is also protected by the Forestry Commission and our lawyer said, “so if you had any plans for that woodland, I’m afraid this will scupper it.” Actually, lawyer, we bought a woodland with plans to use it as a woodland. Nothing scuppered! 

Our cottage also used to go by another name than it does now, which is crossed out just enough not to be legible on the land deeds, but we are quite curious about. We don’t want to pay the lawyer £££ to research that because it’s not really important for this transaction, so we’ll do some searching of our own once we’re settled in. I think it’ll be fun to do more research on the history of the area we’re buying in. 

Changes to Challenge

I’m still recovering. Taking Enting to nursery wipes me out for the morning, and that’s only 1.5-2 miles. Then I do it again in the early afternoon and that’s all I got. 6 miles isn’t feasible right now. There’s no way I can get back the lost miles from Week 1’s illness, either, and I’m not going to try. So I’m lowering my goal.

New Milestone Target: 3 Days After Rivendell

Approximately: 122 miles remaining to goal (I have not added in Week 1’s scant mileage yet).

I’ll update the main post at some point....

10 hours ago, oromendur said:

You never do anything the easy way, do you? ;)

I want things to be simple and easy! It just never turns out that way :P 

• Like 7

I finally did my totals for the last couple of weeks. 

80 miles to go to my revised goal....  I suspect I won’t make this one either, but I’ll keep trying to reduce the deficit. 

The house selling/buying stuff continues. Everything else is standing still, though.

• Like 5

Glad you are feeling better. We live in the suburbs, but we have a small strip of evergreen trees in our backyard. Part of the house agreement was to leave them, which was fine with us. I like to look out my kitchen window and see trees

• Like 1

I have made it to Rivendell. So, technically anything I do now is “beyond” it, but certainly not the milestones I was hoping for!

Alternate fitness plans went by the wayside. Alas. Although Enting and I have been playing “chase” to and from nursery, so I’m getting a little bit of running in now. A little tiny bit, and then slowing down so he can “catch” me. 

The move continues to chug along slowly. I’ve been getting moving quotes. Lawyers are talking about completion dates in mid-late September, but we’ve yet to actually see anything on paper. Have began excavating through some of the dark corners of the house where Stuff Accumulates to reduce junk.

I’ve joined the village FB group (thing learned: apparently wild boar like to come this time of year and cause mayhem in people’s garden and bins!). On recommendation from a London friend and member, I have also started talking to the SCA chapter out in that part of the world. I need a geeky group to help inspire me with my knitting, spinning wool, embroidery, etc ;)  SCA folk in my experience also have a lot of cross-interests—RPGs, board games, fantasy/sf, etc. and they aren’t afraid of the outdoors. So we hope it’ll be good. Also, the big national event each year happens 20 minutes drive from where we’re moving, so if that’s not a sign I should try it out, I don’t know what is. I’m attending one of their virtual craft nights this evening.

I have social anxiety about that. Interacting with new people! I’ve barely interacted with the people I do know this year!

• Like 6