• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Oooh, the majesty of an empty subforum!

I have to start somewhere. It may as well be here!

Three diet and/or fitness quests, and one level up your life one:

1. Get back on my bike after an absence of nearly 10 years. They say you never forget. In order to do this I need to:
    1. Service it.
    2. Find a bike rack (I am starting on trails until I'm a bit more confident)
    3. Go for at least one ride a week.
  2. Get to bed by 10:00 every night, unless I am out somewhere. In order for this to happen I need to:
    1. Get my devices switched off by 8:00 in the evening, to 9:00 the next day. I give too much of my attention to what ought to be private
    2. Eat before 7:30 at the latest (and hopefully earlier).
  3. No beer or junk food, apart from my birthday (20th August). I am taking the day off on my birthday.
  4. Arrange a builder to do the many and varied maintenance tasks on my house. Our home is Victorian, and bits of it need major repair. We have an outbuilding which needs a new roof, so it can become my new office/guest accomodation/gym. The house and the outbuilding need new doors and windows the bricks need repointing throughout and the lime ash floors need to be replaced. I have the money waiting to pay for it, but I've been putting it off because the scale of the work is so big. We had a really bad experience with a builder two years ago, and are £20,000 out of pocket because of it.

I think that's enough for one month, don't you?

• Like 9

Hello, fellow level 1 (ignore the signature)! You & I will both be bike riding, so I'll be checking in on your posts when the challenge starts :) Good luck to both of us!

7 hours ago, scottbbb said:

Sounds like a great challenge! What kind of bike do you have?

Just an old mountain bike for now. When I have lost some weight, I'm going to buy something more responsive. A responsive bike at my weight is a different beast to a responsive bike at the weight I'm aiming to be.

I have an inkling I might treat myself to a custom build. I have this vision of an old school touring bike that I will ride every day until I am an old man. As someone that left the sport about 20 years ago, I think modern road bikes look fat and ugly, even though I'm sure they're better.

• Like 2

Best of luck on the house work. I bought my house back at the beginning of the pandemic outbreak, and it seems like I've had one project right after another. Definitely can relate to the house projects.

8 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

That no electronics/sleep goal is huge. One day I want to implement something like that... 

I have a set of books that led to my taking that decision (and deleting all my social media). Without those books, I wouldn't be here.

• Like 1

And we're on day one.

I have messed up slightly. I didn't realise it was August 2nd today; I was using my computer before 9:00 this morning.

Damn.

Not fazed though. I can start again now.

• Like 5

On 8/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, cd667 said:

And we're on day one.

I have messed up slightly. I didn't realise it was August 2nd today; I was using my computer before 9:00 this morning.

Damn.

Not fazed though. I can start again now.

No harm done, don't beat yourself up over it. Mishaps will happen, as long as you keep grinding, the effort will eventually pay off.

• Like 2

Thanks, @DarK_RaideR. I needed that. 😀

So far, so good. But I am struggling to hit my 10:00 bedtime. I had to work late last night though, and getting my walk in meant I ran out of evening.

So getting there, mostly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cd667 said:

Thanks, @DarK_RaideR. I needed that. 😀

So far, so good. But I am struggling to hit my 10:00 bedtime. I had to work late last night though, and getting my walk in meant I ran out of evening.

So getting there, mostly.

I can relate about the bedtime thing. I made the mistake of bringing my phone back into the bedroom. It needs to be permanently relocated.

Still not hitting bedtime. I did a five mile walk yesterday, and got home at 10:15. Asleep by 11:00.

This morning, though, I smashed it. Went for a bike ride! An honest to goodness pleasure bike ride!

I feel like my legs are made of lead, and the bike has some minor issues. But it was so worth it! My route was at Black Rock, the place where the sport of rock climbing began. Long, traffic free route. A bit of it is a 1:8 hill. I made it about halfway up that, spinning away. All the way next time!

• Like 2

Maybe 10 is just a tad too early for being a good bedtime? 11 is still great though! Though I guess aiming for 10 and getting 11 is better than aiming for 11 and getting 1am... ^^

And yay for riding that bike!

What time are you usually getting up at? And do you find yourself waking up during the night? That's an issue I experienced w/ getting to bed early--I'd usually wake up between 1-3 in the morning, and then I'd find myself trying to go back to sleep. I've found that 11 PM-6 AM is my ideal sleep period. But...different strokes for different folks when it comes to sleeping.

13 hours ago, Mr.CaffeineHead said:

What time are you usually getting up at? And do you find yourself waking up during the night? That's an issue I experienced w/ getting to bed early--I'd usually wake up between 1-3 in the morning, and then I'd find myself trying to go back to sleep. I've found that 11 PM-6 AM is my ideal sleep period. But...different strokes for different folks when it comes to sleeping.

5:30ish is best for me.

This morning, though, was odd. I woke up at 4 with the most banging headache. I think I overcooked myself a bit yesterday, I think there were too many changes.

A bit of background - on Monday, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am not taking anything for it (yet), I have been given three months to get it under control with diet and exercise. The diabetic nurse advised me to get onto a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and sent me some advice which I've been sticking to.

I've had lots of meat and fish over the last couple of days, where in the past I didn't have any. The big side effect has been a weird headache, and weird tummy. I understand it will pass (excuse the pun).

On the plus side, I haven't had to get up at night to pee, which has been great. But I think sleep might be weird for a bit.

• Wow 1

Wish you all the best! Hope you can "catch" it with diet and exercise. 

Maybe change your challenge goals to reflect it? So you don't have so many challenges at once but can focus on this a bit more?

And a random thought: have you been drinking enough water? Might help with the headaches (though - if you recently cut out a lot of sugar from your diet, they might also be related to this...)

15 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Wish you all the best! Hope you can "catch" it with diet and exercise. 

Maybe change your challenge goals to reflect it? So you don't have so many challenges at once but can focus on this a bit more?

TBH, I couldn't achieve the goals without what I'm doing. So I think they will stay. But yeah, maybe 10:00 bedtime just isn't feasible. I don't live on my own anymore.

As to the water, I have upped my game today. I have drunk 1 1/2 litres this morning. I think it is probably diet.

Thanks for the support though. Really good to have you guys rooting for me!

• Like 1

Cutting sugar can give you a terrible headache as can cutting bread. Hang in there...It will pass. #withdrawalstinks

Also avoid the following fake sugars (I get migraines from Nutrasweet (aspartame is a neurotoxin)):

• Nutrasweet (aspartame)
  • Sucralose (Splenda)
  • Acesulfame K
  • Saccharin
  • Equal
  • Like 1