Just Breathe: DJ Trippy T Defeats the Evil Brain Weasels and Achieves Total Enlightenment

56 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

*gasps at what you make happen in a single day* :)

before you think I'm some sort of superhuman or something, remember that I work from home, mostly,  so my personal life is interfrazzled with my work to-do list. So there's shit on there like "take out the trash" and "remember to call your mother" which aren't exactly brain surgery.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I feel like you two need to live a little.

perhaps it's just because we don't want to stress the weasel by threatening to steal his dinner, eh? Or we have a rabbit allergy?

speaking of which, the farmers market had rabbit in stock last week when I was there. If they have it this week I'm going to splurge and get some. 

• Like 2

Today, Wednesday of Zero Week, has also remarkably been a One. This is largely because I have my work scheduled so I do a half-day every other Wednesday, to make up for the time I have to work on the weekends. Which is a "boundaries" win, now that I think of it....

Hyper Weasel: I did not meditate or forest bathe today, but I bought a book on forest bathing, which surely counts for something.  

Sleep Weasel: no problems there, last night's workout was stadium steps and sandbag work, and I almost fell asleep on the drive home. Fortunately the park is only a mile from the house. I only got 20 minutes between "off electronics" and "sleeping" but that was because I went to be early. 

Multi-tasking Weasel - This was not so much a problem today, since like I said I do a half-day every other Wednesday. So I worked a little in the morning, and now I am domestic rangering. 

Boundaries Weasel: Third morning in a row where I've left the phones in another room overnight and didn't look at them until 9 am. I read something recently that said "looking at your phone as soon as you wake up is like inviting 100 screaming people to storm your bedroom first thing in the morning" and while I think that's a *little* exaggerated it has some validity. Anyway my morning is better if from 6:30 to 8:30-ish I ignore the phone. 

My boss called me ranting and raving about something earlier, but it was about someone else and he was just engaging in a little enthusiastic self-expression so it wasn't bothersome. I just kept saying, "NO!" and "uh huh" and "that son of a bitch is crazy" like I was the Mantis thinking about my protein macros, and it was fine. 

today's workout will be something with my barbell in the backyard because I'm too lazy to run or hike or bike (and it's drizzly anyway)

I put my free time to use today and cleaned my whole office (I meant to clean off the desk, but once you make a clean spot...) I already feel less stressed in there because I can see things again, not trip over the printer, and I found my mother's motor vehicle registration. I want to buy a round mirror to hang on the wall opposite the window to give the illusion of another window, so if I continue to have a good week with my challenge that will be my reward. There's an inexpensive one at IKEA I can get. 

376817008_5967038360001_5855913560001-vs.thumb.jpg.2efb96548e7661db375a6b4dd0293040.jpg

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
16 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

"remember to call your mother" which aren't exactly brain surgery

It feels like that sometimes though....

14 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I just kept saying, "NO!" and "uh huh" and "that son of a bitch is crazy" like I was the Mantis thinking about my protein macros, and it was fine.

You complete me GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Haha 1
On 7/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Some of this, too, is caused by my constant need to be doing six things at once to feel my existence is justified, which means I get three and a half  things done (none of them well) and two things undone, which I then feel bad about. This is not an optimal state for me. 

This is me.  I feel this so hard.

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CHALLENGE!!!!! 

If you need help with your phone free hour, look up the forest app.  It has helped me a lot.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:19 AM, Novaurora said:

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CHALLENGE!!!!! 

If you need help with your phone free hour, look up the forest app.  It has helped me a lot.

I will look that up for sure

• Like 1

Let's see, where are we.

Thursday: 

Thursday looked to be a solid 3, but eventually ractcheted up to a 4, mostly because I couldn't get out of my own way. 

Hyper Weasel: I did not meditate or forest bathe. I did cut some herbs to put on my desk.

Sleep Weasel: Got off electronics on time, slept fairly well, got up on time. 

Multi-tasking Weasel - I had two really solid focus blocks in the morning, then things fizzled a bit. I tried to go to the coffee shop to work - you can sit outside and I bought a back-up battery for my laptop so I don't need to plug in - but after I got my coffee and got settled it started to rain, so I gave up and headed home. On the way there I passed a taco truck I've been meaning to try called the TASTY BUS and I decided to stop there, and then when I got home I shared said tacos with the boyfriend. I did a little more work after that but not very focused.

Boundaries Weasel: I did the no-phone-until-9-am thing again. (I do check my phone super quick when I wake up to make sure there's no emergency messages from my mom, but then I leave it alone)

after work I went to work out, realized I had no gas in the car, then realized I couldn't find my sport watch anywhere in my bag and was convinced I left it on the picnic table at the coffee shop. Fortunately I decided to go back to the house (two minutes away) to check one last time before I went back to the coffee place (15 minutes away) and it was on my desk. But I was a little frazzled. 

I had a really, really good workout (deadlifts to #160, then a circuit of thrusters/kb swings that wiped me out), grabbed dinner stuff at the store, and went home. 

All would have been well at that point except at 9 pm I decide to CATCH UP ON THE NEWS ON MY PHONE, what was I thinking, I was up until midnight absorbing the world's crazy. Note to self, don't do that. 

Today, Friday, is a disaster. I overslept because I went to bed so late, and the cats woke me at four and I was awake for an hour worrying about stuff. I rolled out of bed at 8:30, grabbed the phones immediately, and I've been trying to work, but I'm just flailing. Also I'm weirdly hungry so I'm going to go get some Vietnamese lunch (discovering a new Vietnamese restaurant on my side of town is going to have been a bad thing I think)

Still, I feel like I've had an exceptionally productive week, so even if today I'm just scraping by I'm not going to feel all that bad about it. I have been trying to grab hold of this 45-minute "work block" concept ever since I read "Deep Work" by Cal Newport like six months ago and it's finally taking hold, and it makes a HUGE difference. (you can also read more about deep work here, or here. I'm kind of obsessed with it.) 

So I think this zero week is going to even out okay. I feel like my workouts are coming back on line, my sleep is pretty good, and the only thing that's been a total write-off is my OMAD eating; I've been really hungry all week. Does extra brain work make you burn more calories? Enquiring minds want to know. Also I did the big office clean-up which was a huge win. If I can get through tomorrow without eating an entire cheesecake or falling down the stairs again I'll be happy with it. Even if today is toast. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Also I think it should be stated for the record that weasels are fucking adorable and it's a travesty that their name is sullied with the negative association. I wish we had one in the garden.

You can have our local ones, if you like. I've lost two cats to them, so the cats don't go out without close supervision any more. A coworker who saw one up close said it looked like a demon (to be fair, it was chasing her cat at the time). I've only seen them from afar, and yeah, not cute. This picture is cuter than a real live one up close.

image.png.45851ba1dca248d552572981c83ecf75.png

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

You can have our local ones, if you like. I've lost two cats to them, so the cats don't go out without close supervision any more. A coworker who saw one up close said it looked like a demon (to be fair, it was chasing her cat at the time). I've only seen them from afar, and yeah, not cute. This picture is cuter than a real live one up close.

image.png.45851ba1dca248d552572981c83ecf75.png

Ooh that’s a big one. The ones here are about 4 inches long so much less dangerous i would think. What part of the world are you in?

also, I’m very sorry about your cats. I hope the neighbor’s cat escaped. 

5 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Ooh that’s a big one. The ones here are about 4 inches long so much less dangerous i would think. What part of the world are you in?

also, I’m very sorry about your cats. I hope the neighbor’s cat escaped. 

Yeah, they are just over 30cm and can take out porcupines. They're badasses. I'm in Ontario.

Circle of life. One of the cats climbed a tree and we think surprised the fisher while it was sleeping. The other maybe picked a fight, tried to play, or was simply the selected prey that day. I heard sounds in the night anyway that may have been him. My coworker's cat got away because she heard a noise and held the door open for him as he ran for dear life. The local fishers seem to be preferentially targeting pet cats as easy prey.

• Sad 1

Saturday and Sunday were both good days. So zero week wound up being about a 2.5 on average, which for me is outstanding. 

Saturday was my day off, I did no work and very little domestic rangering. Slept late, made breakfast. When I took the trash out at about 9 am I opened the trash can to find a medium-sized raccoon sleeping in it. This has happened before; they get into the trash and if there isn't enough stuff to climb up on (the can was almost empty) they get stuck, I think. He looked at me like, "Shit. I KNEW I would oversleep if I took a nap" ; I feel you, buddy.

I gently lowered the can to parallel (facing away from me, obviously) and left him to waddle out. 

I did a three mile hike that was at a park near my house that doubled as a forest bathing session; it was super hot. Then I cleaned out my car in the sun in the driveway and almost gave myself a stroke, but the car is clean. 

Sunday was mostly domestic rangering, and I did a bike ride for the first time in forever. I did 20 miles on the Comet, which is flat, and it went way better than expected. The last two miles were hell but the rest was really good; I must be in better shape than I thought. 

On to week one...

• Like 3

Monday felt like a rough day, but on reflection, with some decent sleep and a review of my to-do list this morning, I feel better about it, so I'm going to grade it a 3. 

Hyper Weasel: I did a short, not-very-good meditation in the morning. My mind was very jumpy and wander-y, and then - I swear to god this is true - I was looking out at the patio and a hummingbird flew up to the sliding glass door and was looking at me through it. I brought in one of the hummingbird feeders - they were all empty - filled it, and hung it back out. The hummingbird was pleased and had a sip. Maybe I AM a Disney Princess.

Sleep Weasel: the night before I was on the electronics too late, but I still got a short break before I went to sleep. I woke up at 4:30 for the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep, so when my alarm went off at 6:30 I went back to sleep for an hour. 

Multi-tasking Weasel - I had two good focus blocks in the morning, but I had a lot of distraction/interruption after that. I had my phone on my desk and I kept messing with it. Today it goes back on top of the printer, out of reach (plus I found some old speakers when I cleaned the office, so I hooked them up and if I put the phone there I can stream the youtube music mixes I like for work music)

I didn't get everything on my list, and I was beating myself up about it, but when I looked at the list this morning I realized I'd gotten all the important stuff, and that most of the things that didn't get done random little tasks that don't really move the needle, so I feel better. 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:19 AM, Novaurora said:
On 7/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Some of this, too, is caused by my constant need to be doing six things at once to feel my existence is justified, which means I get three and a half  things done (none of them well) and two things undone, which I then feel bad about. This is not an optimal state for me. 

I brought this line down because it made me feel better that @Novaurora recognized this feeling, which is an ongoing struggle for me. I need to remind myself that I'm turning out good work, I'm getting sh*t done, and I don't need to rake myself over the coals about it if I don't get to everything on the list. It doesn't make me a bad person. 

Boundaries Weasel: Because I slept a bit later I didn't have as much quiet time in the morning, and because I was scrambling to fit a lot of moving pieces in I worked too late, which cost me my workout and getting some errands done. I did get a burrito bowl at a new local place for dinner, which was some consolation. It was just okay. Food has to be really good for me to want to mask/glove up to go into the restaurant (although they have a stellar patio and I ate there because it was empty and I didn't have to feel bad about it). I'll workout this afternoon and just call yesterday a rest day. 

12 hours ago, Xena said:

not quite a trash can, but I thought this was cute

image.png

AWWWWWWW rabies in a basket, how cute!

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Is this your new roomie?

a819550ee6febf3ef6454410b0f6ec62.jpg

Modern art is so complex. I can never really grasp it. 

True story, my boyfriend put a bucket with the dregs of some white paint in it out by the trash a while back and the raccoons turned it over, opened it, tracked through the paint, and then climbed up the trash can, so our can is covered with footprints just like these. 

• Like 3
On 8/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, Elastigirl said:

Oh, that would freak me out if I opened the garbage and found a racoon!

When I take the trash out at night I have to rap on the lid of the can (it has a flip-type lid) because a few times I've opened it and there's been a guest in there. Both of us were dismayed by the situation.

2-300x200.jpg.b3230ec3c072bf44a133bcd9becb7123.jpg

• Like 1

Today, Tuesday of Week One: a solid ONE.

Hyper Weasel: I meditated this morning even though I slept until 7. I was supposed to squeeze In an extra workout, but I decided the quiet time would do me more good. 

Sleep Weasel: Went a little late on electronics, but went to bed early. So it kind of evened out. 

Multi-tasking Weasel - I came, I saw, I kicked some ass today. Multiple focus blocks, even with my mother calling me four times. Putting my phone across the room is the smartest thing I have done in a long-ass time. Around 2 o'clock I started to fade and it was really tempting to just do whatever was easiest on my list rather than what was in priority order, but I prevailed. 

Boundaries Weasel: I did the no-phone-until-9-am thing again. I also did something that is a weird victory for me: I didn't take my phone into the bathroom whenever I went. My old gig I could never be away from it for an instant - I got texts and emails and calls literally every minute all day long, and they expected immediate replies - so for me to do that was a big step. Even so, I was mentally rehearsing my apology to my boss if he DID happen to call while I had no pants on. Baby steps. 

If you ever want my old job in a nutshell, I once had a production assistant bang on the door of the bathroom stall I was in, telling me my client wanted me on set immediately. When I gathered myself and went out there, he told me he wanted Starbucks and I should sent someone to get it. I just looked at him and said, "Did you just send a PA to drag me out of the toilet to order you... coffee?" And he just shrugged and told me to make sure I asked the agency people if they wanted anything while I was at it. 

And THAT, boys and girls, was the moment I knew I had to get the fuck out of advertising. 

Ferrets, incidentally, are domesticated weasels. The wild version is called a Polecat, which is also the name of an extremely excellent rockabilly band from the 80's.

download.jpg

• Like 1