• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chibi-nerd

Chibi rebellion

Having failed on my very first challenge, but learnt a lot of things along the way, I'm gonna call myself a rebel because my version of workouts doesn't fit any of the other guild descriptions.

Here are my goals

#1 do 30 minutes workout a day ( up from 15 in my last challenge)

#2 stretch daily

#3 keep the first hour in the morning screen free.

#4 set a weekly goal around the house ... this week ... tidy the courtyard! Needs to be done by Aug 8th

I know we're supposed to be in contemplation mode this week but I am pleased to report that today I got up and did goals #1-#3. Now I can have a smoothie!

EDIT:**************************

So! Because I am worried about the pain in my tendons and joints, I am going to change my goals!!!

#1 becomes 30 minutes of isometric workouts in total during a day, or 30 minutes of walking. 
First of all, I have to work out some 5 minute workouts. And then I might use a habit tracker to keep me doing the workouts. Or a one hour alarm...or something.

So today, I have a bit of research to do to get this to work.

• Like 8

Nice work chibi-nerd! Goals after my own heart. And there are plenty of nerds out there not taking the week "off" in between. (I sadly am not one of them)

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 8:00 PM, chibi-nerd said:

Having failed on my very first challenge, but learnt a lot of things along the way,

Seems like this is not a complete fail, just the win you weren't looking for.  You can always build from here.

The rebels here are pretty awesome.  I thought this was a holding zone for me until I found what I wanted to work on, but the rebels have drawn me in 😀

• Like 5

I use Week 0 to try my goals out and see if I need to make any adjustments. 

It's okay if you fail as long as you learn from it and move on! We are happy to have you here in the Rebels

2 hours ago, Chesire said:

I thought this was a holding zone for me until I found what I wanted to work on, but the rebels have drawn me in 

One of us.. One of us 🤣

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chesire said:

Seems like this is not a complete fail, just the win you weren't looking for.  You can always build from here.

The rebels here are pretty awesome.  I thought this was a holding zone for me until I found what I wanted to work on, but the rebels have drawn me in 😀

I'm really loving the support from members in this forum. It's just lovely!

• Like 1

So on Monday I did something bad to my hip, so yesterday I just went for a walk.
But then I did something worse to my hip and couldn't sleep so I used my blah state of mind as an excuse to not exercise.
I need to come up with a plan for blah days and I think that plan should just be "walk for 30mins"

Tomorrow will be a problem because I will be out for most of the day, but I mustn't use that as an excuse. Too many excuses!

• Like 1

You don't have to push it for 30 mins if that seems too much some days.  You could plan walk for at least 15 but as you near the end of that 15 do a quick check if another 15 is possible.  Sometimes stepping beyond the gravitational pull of the couch is the hardest part.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Is your hip feeling better? 

Yes it is. Thank you. The important thing is not to cross my legs. When I sitting in front of the computer I cross my legs at the ankle (like the queen) and that stretches the tendon in my right hip. Must not do that!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

Yes it is. Thank you. The important thing is not to cross my legs. When I sitting in front of the computer I cross my legs at the ankle (like the queen) and that stretches the tendon in my right hip. Must not do that!

I am glad your hip is feeling better! I totally understand the sitting struggles. I sit on my ankles or stretch my feet weird because I like my legs propped up.Its a horrible habit to break for me. I am sure its crushing my feet structures and or stretching things too.

• Like 1

Having failed on my very first challenge, but learnt a lot of things along the way,

Could be worse, and you didn't give up. Short-term failure for long-term success perhaps?

I'm gonna call myself a rebel because my version of workouts doesn't fit any of the other guild descriptions.

You can be wherever you want to be. There's no bouncer to throw you out for not being a "real" Warrior or whatever. All the guilds have lovely people. :)

On 7/29/2020 at 2:57 AM, chibi-nerd said:

So on Monday I did something bad to my hip, so yesterday I just went for a walk.
But then I did something worse to my hip and couldn't sleep so I used my blah state of mind as an excuse to not exercise.
I need to come up with a plan for blah days and I think that plan should just be "walk for 30mins"

It sounds like hip pain is something that you deal with regularly, so it does make sense to have a fallback plan for when it flares up. That way, you are still maintaining the regular exercise habit and your brain knows exactly what to do if Plan A is out. If walking doesn't aggravate your hip, that sounds like a reasonable plan. You could add in the upper body portion of whatever exercise routine you are doing. It may take a little experimenting to find out what works best, and it does not mean that you are failing if the first strategy you try doesn't work for you.

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

You can be wherever you want to be. There's no bouncer to throw you out for not being a "real" Warrior or whatever. All the guilds have lovely people. :)

One thing that has stood out for me is that there are no zealots. There's no one telling me the right way to exercise. No one saying "If you walk you'll lose muscle" or "You need to eat three times your weight in protein to build muscle" etc. Just lot of supportive people.

• Like 3

So I did my new isometric exercise routine. It feels a bit stupid but apparently it is effective, like yoga and pilates are.
And then I immediately rolled. Normally I stretch but stretching compresses your tendons and so is not advised if you have tedinopathy.

The result after all that is, not only did I not aggravate my hip, it actually feels better.

So the plan from now on is alternating isometric days with walking days and rolling every day.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

One thing that has stood out for me is that there are no zealots. There's no one telling me the right way to exercise. No one saying "If you walk you'll lose muscle" or "You need to eat three times your weight in protein to build muscle" etc. Just lot of supportive people.

Welcome to Rebel! The only zealotry you'll find here is relentless optimism, and even that sometimes comes in the form of complaining our way through the tough spots. As long as we stick with it, we're winning! (She says, having just returned from an extended break from the forums.) NF overall is pretty welcoming like that, but we in Rebel are happy to have you for as long as you'd like to stay!

3 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

So I did my new isometric exercise routine. It feels a bit stupid but apparently it is effective, like yoga and pilates are.
And then I immediately rolled. Normally I stretch but stretching compresses your tendons and so is not advised if you have tedinopathy.

The result after all that is, not only did I not aggravate my hip, it actually feels better.

So the plan from now on is alternating isometric days with walking days and rolling every day.

I gotta get back into rolling. I'm glad to hear it's working for you and you've been able to improve your pain levels! Keep it up!

On 8/2/2020 at 3:27 AM, chibi-nerd said:

This is excellent news and a great plan! Plus, you now have an indoor activity for when you can't walk (ex. thunderstorm), and an outdoor activity for when you want to be outside.

1 hour ago, chibi-nerd said:

Weight is just steadily going up :(

That chart only goes back a month though, and the difference is not huge. I get the impression that you are female (forgive me if I am wrong), and many women find their weight fluctuates a little with their monthly hormone cycle. It could also be water. If you had data going back farther, you could see if it was a true trend. I know you're disappointed, but lifestyle changes of exercise and better eating take time to show up. You're on your way. :)

16 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

That chart only goes back a month though, and the difference is not huge. I get the impression that you are female (forgive me if I am wrong), and many women find their weight fluctuates a little with their monthly hormone cycle. It could also be water. If you had data going back farther, you could see if it was a true trend. I know you're disappointed, but lifestyle changes of exercise and better eating take time to show up. You're on your way. :)

I don't have a hormonal cycle anymore :) Oh, OK, there might be some progesterone going on but I take a drug that blocks oestrogen everywhere (except my bones where it acts as an oestrogen agonist, which means my bones are getting stronger. Yay!)

The bottom line shows my weight from the previous month, so you can see that last month my weight was going down until the 24th of June and has been going steadily up since then. Its the trend that worries me. :(

Anyway! I lost some weight yesterday (probably water as you so rightly say) and I I've just been for a walk and done my isometrics.
I feel like a numpty groaning away while moving nothing but its amazing how high my heart rate goes!

So today I am feeling happy and optimistic. :)

I'm going to post my weight here everyday because I think that will help moderate my eating.

weight.png

9 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

I'm going to post my weight here everyday because I think that will help moderate my eating.

If you think it will help you.

I am not the best person to comment as this particular battle is not one that I struggle with, but motivating yourself with shame is a dangerous game. I do hope that is not what you are doing.

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

I am not the best person to comment as this particular battle is not one that I struggle with, but motivating yourself with shame is a dangerous game. I do hope that is not what you are doing.

I think it might be 🤔

Lacklustre walk today but I'm probably tired from yesterday. :)

Weight has dropped below the trend line. Yay! Now I have to get the trend line heading downwards! 
I guess this is how Dan Andrews (premier of Victoria) feels about covid.

weight.png

• Like 1

Piked on my walk yesterday, so I'll have to an extra long one tomorrow, but I've just done my isometrics. I kept yawning! I think my beanie was making my head hot. :)

Weight has levelled out at 57kg which is an improvement.

weight.png

12 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

Piked on my walk yesterday, so I'll have to an extra long one tomorrow,

You don't HAVE to do a long one.  Missed days happen :)  (could not bring myself to strength train Wednesday, ugh.)  As long as you have the habit rolling and don't miss the next day.  Don't punish yourself for being human. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chesire said:

You don't HAVE to do a long one.  Missed days happen :)  (could not bring myself to strength train Wednesday, ugh.)  As long as you have the habit rolling and don't miss the next day.  Don't punish yourself for being human. 

Oh right! Maybe, since the weather is foul, I will take your advice...next time I'll do I long one because I want to, not because I have to. :)

• That's Metal 1