Chibi rebellion

chibi-nerd

On 8/14/2020 at 2:04 PM, chibi-nerd said:

Does it count as a workout if you're not wearing lycra?

God, I hope so.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:04 PM, chibi-nerd said:

I'm sort of half getting into the habit of morning workouts but not enough to make a strong habit :( But somedays, like yesterday, it can't be helped.

Habits take a lot of time to develop, especially habits where you're simultaneously breaking the habit of not doing the thing. (Or doing, as in the case of eating changes.) But every time you do it is not just another step towards building the habit, but also its own successful doing, and that's worthwhile too.

• Like 2

SO I had this "brilliant" idea to tackle my weight problem; I'd go on the cabbage soup diet. Cabbage soup, that sounds great, I can do that!
Well, no, eating nothing but cabbage soup is some type of torture. By the afternoon I was starving hungry and more or less opened my mouth
like a whale and inhaled the fridge.

So back to the drawing board. I think I have 3 problems.

1. It is so damn cold! I think that is making me much hungrier than I usually am, so I am now wearing a lovely beanie to keep my head warm, as well as two
dressing gowns over my workout clothes.

2. I had forgotten the timing that works for me and why I used to eat that way. i.e. 14:10 fasting used to be very natural for me and the reason it helps
to keep weight down is that it gives your insulin a chance to relax etc.ted talk

So I'm going to be strict about meal times starting with breakfast at 10am and no snacking in between and focus on the health benefits of periods of fasting.
But I am so damn hungry. This is not like me!

3. I have developed a bad relationship with food. If I see something yummy I just have to eat it! I'm becoming a bit of a binge eater.
I need to remind myself that it will not disappear, or if it does, I can always buy more!

I used to drink chicory to fill myself up (its full of inulin) but I think too much chicory makes me smelly :( So I try to stick to 3 cups/day. 

That is my plan.

Now, am I going to take advantage of the break in the "severe weather" and go for a walk or stay in the warm and do isometrics?

3 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

SO I had this "brilliant" idea to tackle my weight problem; I'd go on the cabbage soup diet.

:( Again, I'm not the best person to be giving advice on this topic as it is not my struggle. But I've heard from so many people who have done diets like this that they don't work. It'll all come back, and then you'll feel like a failure when it's not your fault at all. The only way to lose weight permanently is the slow and steady way, with changes you can maintain for a lifetime. Plus (based purely on anecdotal experience), many people's bodies have a weight where they like to stay. It can be really hard to shift when you're in that zone, and it may not be at your preferred weight.

I have developed a bad relationship with food. If I see something yummy I just have to eat it! I'm becoming a bit of a binge eater.

Is there a way you could allow yourself to have some treats in moderation, so that you do not feel like you are depriving yourself? Depending on your personality, you could either have the yummy whenever you want but keep the serving sizes really small and savour the taste (I had a coworker who would eat a small square of chocolate every day, but no more), or buy a limited amount for the week and then stay out of the stores so no more comes in (this is what I do. I budget a small amount of money for snack purchases for the week - usually one snack item - and it is up to me to ration it out as I see fit).

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

But I've heard from so many people who have done diets like this that they don't work.

Yes well, it only took a few hours to prove to me "diets like this" don't work for me! LOL! 

Is there a way you could allow yourself to have some treats in moderation, so that you do not feel like you are depriving yourself?

My way of treats in moderation is to only eat them on Saturday. This is a variation on "cheat day" that some body builders do. It's a part of the Body for Life program.
But it has turned me into a binge eater. If I see yummy food I think "Better eat it because there won't be more until Saturday." so instead I'm going to tell myself "You can always buy more, don't panic." 

I read one fitness blogger who makes himself a chocolate cake and eats a piece every day. His rule is you can have one unhealthy meal but it can't be more than X calories and you have to make it yourself. 

One more thing I used to do that I lost track of recently was eat a fat bomb after dinner. My fat bombs are 1:1:1 peanut butter, cocoa butter and coconut oil and eaten with sips of chicory they are delicious and practically zero GI. One fat bomb puts the end to any feelings of hunger that linger after the meal. Somehow the nightly fat bomb transmogrified into carob bears and, last night, cake! Bad! The calories might be about the same but the effect on cravings and insulin are very different.

So today I am quite hungry but it is hunger I can handle because each meal has the promise of something delicious and not bloody boring soup! :)

• Like 2

Hi! Welcome at the rebels :).

I have a stupid question, but how short are you that this weight is such a problem that you need drastic changes in your diet? Are you just unhappy with the difference in weight (which can come from your body holding more water because you started to exercise), or don't you like what you see in the mirror? If you take other measures, like waist-circumference, are you actually too fat, or is it just your perception?

Anyway, increased exercise usually means increased weight, even though you'll look slimmer because of it after some time. Increased exercise also has a ton of benefits, so I really like that goal :). What does a typical workout look like for you, on non-walking days?

On 8/20/2020 at 12:18 AM, Waanie said:

Hi! Welcome at the rebels :).

I have a stupid question, but how short are you that this weight is such a problem that you need drastic changes in your diet? Are you just unhappy with the difference in weight (which can come from your body holding more water because you started to exercise), or don't you like what you see in the mirror? If you take other measures, like waist-circumference, are you actually too fat, or is it just your perception?

Anyway, increased exercise usually means increased weight, even though you'll look slimmer because of it after some time. Increased exercise also has a ton of benefits, so I really like that goal :). What does a typical workout look like for you, on non-walking days?

HOw short am I? I am immensely tall and of statuesque proportions! :)
Actually I'm 160cm. The increase in my weight is from more than just exercising. In my experience, lifting weights makes me put on weight, but I have gained 4kg in 2 years! That has
to stop!

I am actually fat. Fatter than I used to be. My waist is disappearing and my legs are podgy. You can imagine what an extra 4kg looks like on a 160cm tall frame.

On non-walking days I am doing isometrics....wall squats, planks and other less well known exercises. It sounds naff but HR does increase and it is the only resistance workout I can do now
without getting joint and tendon pain. Not only does it not cause pain, it does seem to reduce the pain, especially if I roll and stretch as well. 

But! I have returned to what I know works and it is working. The trick will now be to stick to it. I'm thinking tomorrow I will eat whatever I like but stick to the 3 meals in 10 hours timing and then I might have a day in the middle of the week where I eat an extra 500Cals so that I don't go more than three days being hungry. Some people might call that calorie cycling...it sounds much more sensible if you give it a groovy name.

And here is my progress over the last three days....

weight.png

• Like 1
11 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

HOw short am I? I am immensely tall and of statuesque proportions! :)
Actually I'm 160cm. The increase in my weight is from more than just exercising. In my experience, lifting weights makes me put on weight, but I have gained 4kg in 2 years! That has
to stop! I am actually fat. Fatter than I used to be. My waist is disappearing and my legs are podgy. You can imagine what an extra 4kg looks like on a 160cm tall frame.

Lol, as someone who is two heads shorter than most people (162cm), I feel your pain. And yeah, while your weight on its own is not a problem (I was close to seeing abs last time I was your weight), but gaining 4kg in 2 years is a bit too much indeed. I know what difference 4kg makes, and also that it is really different whether it's muscles or fat.

If your exercise helps you, then there's of course nothing wrong with it ;). It sounds like you have a solid plan!

• Thanks 1
On 8/19/2020 at 2:31 AM, chibi-nerd said:

So today I am quite hungry but it is hunger I can handle because each meal has the promise of something delicious and not bloody boring soup! :)

Oh, my gosh, this is what's key for me!  This way I don't have to find the interesting things elsewhere. 

Another one for the 162cm club, here.  So yep, totally get the battle of enough valuable calories without going over the limit.  The challenge is real every day.  I'm also very visual about my food.  I want it too look like a lot so I can think "I get to eat all this.  Cool."  Veggies are my friend for bulking it up. 

Obviously the key is finding your own method, nutrition and fitness. 

51 minutes ago, Chesire said:

Oh, my gosh, this is what's key for me!  This way I don't have to find the interesting things elsewhere. 

Another one for the 162cm club, here.  So yep, totally get the battle of enough valuable calories without going over the limit.  The challenge is real every day.  I'm also very visual about my food.  I want it too look like a lot so I can think "I get to eat all this.  Cool."  Veggies are my friend for bulking it up. 

Obviously the key is finding your own method, nutrition and fitness. 

Oh yeah. Making the food look bigger is important. I find lots of little things, some clear soup, yoghurt, a bit of meat and salad etc. all on separate little plates makes it look a like a feast.

But! Here is my weight this morning! 

I suppose losing 900g in 5 days is "too much" but "pfft!" I say. Anyway, today is Saturday so I will "refeed" (aka put some back on but if we call it "refeed" it sounds like its planned and sensible) today. But first I have to wait til 10am. Looks like my daughter has something yummy in the oven! Yayyy! In the meantime...chicory...which apparently has 0.9g of fibre per serve. 

weight.png

Just been listening to "The Science Show" while doing my naff isometrics. I'm feeling so much more confident about my joints and tendons I'm thinking of trying weights again
next challenge, but stay away from anything plyometric. 
Anyhoo...that's not what I logged in to say! Back to "The Science Show". Robyn Williams was talking to the authors of "Eat like the Animals" written by two professors from Uni of Sydney.
Sounded very interesting so I put a hold on it on overdrive. (Overdrive + kindle = reading bliss)

The podast is here ... https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/
Links to Apple/Google/ etc podcasts is on the bottom left of the page.

image.png.83387a5a5bd2b886afbf84b1903fcedf.png

Sounded very interesting so I put a hold on it on overdrive. (Overdrive + kindle = reading bliss)

absolutely!

"Eat like the Animals" written by two professors from Uni of Sydney.

Interesting.  I'll see if my Overdrive has it :)

14 hours ago, chibi-nerd said:

(Overdrive + kindle = reading bliss)

You can get Overdrive on your Kindle? Is that a US-only thing? I am positive that you can only use library books on a Kindle in Canada through less than legal means.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

32 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

You can get Overdrive on your Kindle? Is that a US-only thing? I am positive that you can only use library books on a Kindle in Canada through less than legal means.

Yeah...it's a bit of a grey area ... or rather, morally justified but not exactly legal? In my mind, the author gets the lending rights just the same so it's a victimless crime. 

And I'm Australian.

22 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I get Overdrive through the library, so it is essentially taking a book out of the library.  So annoying when my loan expires before I'm quite done and they just take it away!  The loan is delivered through Amazon and thereby my Kindle.

23 minutes ago, Chesire said:

I get Overdrive through the library, so it is essentially taking a book out of the library.  So annoying when my loan expires before I'm quite done and they just take it away!  The loan is delivered through Amazon and thereby my Kindle.

That's interesting. Only available in the US.  I hope it doesn't come to Australia. :) But seriously....that would be good for all the Kindle owners who haven't figured out how to get
the books semi-legally yet. :) If I had to buy another e-reader, I think I would get a Kobo. The latest Kobos interface directly with Overdrive, but as my Kindle shows no sign of dying (when do they ever?) I guess I'll stick to my grey-borrowing. :) 

• Like 1

Yesterday, after doing so well, my willpower crumbled. Which wouldn't have bee so bad, a bit of cheese here, a jelly bean there, but then I burnt dinner 
and so rushed out and bought pretty disgusting sushi from the supermarket and now my weight is back where it was 8 days ago. I suppose I should
be pleased it's not more :(
So today I look horrible and feel horrible from all the salt. I knew my willpower would only last 3 days, that's why I scheduled an extra 500g for yesterday,
but because I hadn't lost as much as I wanted I ignored my plan and boom! So now I know, whatever happens, cycle calories on Wednesdays.

And I'm not drinking enough. Must drink a big glass of water at every meal! Drinking a heap today will help get the water weight off from the salt too.

And I look in the mirror and the isometrics are not making muscle. They might be gentle on my joints and hamstrings, but that's it!
So I've sat down with "Train like a body builder" and "Strength Training Anatomy" and figured out some workouts.
I'm wondering if I should start them right now or wait for the end of the challenge 🤨 I think I'll start now and iron out all the bugs before I start the next challenge.

If I get my skates on I can get a workout done before breakfast!

weight.png

I can see that you are very eager to see progress in both weight loss and muscle building, but it is a long game we are playing. A very long game. You are putting a lot of stress on yourself right now. Be kind to yourself. One day's slip-up is nothing in the long run.

I would never discourage you from trying new exercises if that is what you want to do. :D If you want something you could start tomorrow without a lot of research, have you tried the NF Beginner's Bodyweight workout? You only need a dumbbell or something to act as a weight. Or just skip that one exercise if you've got nothing suitable - good is better than perfect and all that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I can see that you are very eager to see progress in both weight loss and muscle building, but it is a long game we are playing. A very long game. You are putting a lot of stress on yourself right now. Be kind to yourself. One day's slip-up is nothing in the long run.

I would never discourage you from trying new exercises if that is what you want to do. :D If you want something you could start tomorrow without a lot of research, have you tried the NF Beginner's Bodyweight workout? You only need a dumbbell or something to act as a weight. Or just skip that one exercise if you've got nothing suitable - good is better than perfect and all that.

Thanks. The exercises I've just done (yay! I did my workout) aren't new....just the pain. So I designed my workout, which took an hour with warmup and stretches, with *lots* of warmup sets. I only did 3 sets of each exerise. The book recommends 5, with 60sec rests. Seriously, where do people get the time for 2 hour workouts?? I sometimes wonder if fitness gurus aren't very good at maths. When my daughter was running the coach would say "Do this exercise 10x for 30seconds each, and this one and this one. That's a just a few minutes a day. Do that twice a day." Ok...well that's actually 30mins a day on top of the actual training. Then the physio would do the same and before we knew it she had an hour of extra exercises on top of long training sessions and then they'd want to know why she (12 years old) hadn't done all that. Anyway....I wonder about the maths abilities of the authors of this book.