Tarly BuJos, Lifts, Cleans, Reads, Writes, Builds

1 minute ago, Sciread77 said:

My Junior year English lit teacher loved The Great Gatsby. She was pretty cool but not quite that level! Though even that much awesome would have struggled for me to spend a whole semester on TGG. 

She dove down deep. We talked for weeks just about the use of color in the novel. 

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for Gatsby, but it's absolutely true that it contains no one particularly likeable or happy, and is somewhat tough going. (The interesting thing, I think, is that all the characters are so relatably and mundanely terrible. They're ordinary people with ordinary flaws trying to be happy in ordinary, banal ways, and making ordinary, banal mistakes. But put them together, and they're a toxic horror show who all bring out the worst in each other.)

What can I say, sometimes I like a good cautionary tale about when the American dream goes wrong in a haze of opulence and entitlement, with a side helping of the banality of evil. I think a fair bit about media representations of the 1920s these days, because I never really considered before that it's as much the social aftermath of a pandemic as the social aftermath of a war.

• Like 4

Thanks all for lists and recommendations, regardless of whether they are relevant to the specifics of what I'm looking for right now.  I'm taking notes, and they may be useful in the future.

Next classic novel I pick up will be either:

Mary Shelly: Frankenstein -- I just now came up with this on my own.

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice

I think that's an area I need help in, at least to remind myself when I'm in the mood to catch up on classic, that there are female authors of classics too, and not just pick up a copy of something by an old Russian dude.

Little Women: I remember our 4th grade teacher read this to us or something, probably not all of it. Long time ago. Then we watched the movie.

The Great Gatsby: Barely remember reading it, but I remember liking it and for reasons along the lines that @sarakingdom mentioned. It's probably one I should revisit.

Moby Dick: That's already on the list. I just need to finish it. I'm reading the unabridged version because I acutally realing enjoy when authors go off on tangents about things that are barely related to the plot. I found great humor in the Cetology chapter of the book... Mellville understood millennial humor well ahead of its time, or perhaps invented it.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:48 PM, Teros said:

What did you write about?

I began trying to write a cyberpunk thriller, but it may just be dystopian sci-fi. I'm not far enough along to give you the elevator pitch, "It's about a ..." but basically this guy signs up for a job that requires him to be a guinea pig for an advanced type of virtual reality that uses cybernetics to put video games etc. right into a person's mind. Subversive elements in society hack the device, truths (or are they lies?) are revealed, he turns on his employer...

I haven't decided if he dies at the end, or not, or ...

or

If the hackers are the good guys or the bad guys, or ...

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

Mary Shelly: Frankenstein -- I just now came up with this on my own.

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice

You won’t go wrong with either of these. 

Your story reminds me a bit of the Tad Williams Otherland series. (Though certainly not the same story).  I didn’t finish the series as they were long and could be a bit clunky. I like where you’re going.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Moby Dick: That's already on the list. I just need to finish it. I'm reading the unabridged version because I acutally realing enjoy when authors go off on tangents about things that are barely related to the plot. I found great humor in the Cetology chapter of the book... Mellville understood millennial humor well ahead of its time, or perhaps invented it.

Honestly I enjoyed the whaling stuff more than the narrative.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

I think that's an area I need help in, at least to remind myself when I'm in the mood to catch up on classic, that there are female authors of classics too, and not just pick up a copy of something by an old Russian dude.

If you can get your hands on quality translations, Selma Lagerlöf wrote some pretty good stuff.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Yeah. Not that what they have to say is necessarily bad, but the old Russian dudes by and large didn’t edit like we would expect modern writers to do. A few of them didn’t really have people to tell them no, and a lot of the huge books were series published in magazines or newspapers over quite a long time. Personally, I haven’t enjoyed them nearly as much. Though I suppose one might be similarly critical of old French dudes whose work I love. 

But Mary Shelly and Jane Austen are awesome. 

• Like 2

Week Zero was a wash. I ate too much cereal. Got too little sleep, then too much sleep. I didn't exercise or write, and didn't read nearly enough.

In good news, at work I got a raise, and quite a nice one. More than I was even going to ask for. If you remember, back in June I had my annual performance review and asked for a raise. The general supervisor responded favorably, but said that would happen in another meeting. While waiting patiently for him to get back to me, my shift supervisor told me I was getting a raise. I checked my payroll stuffs this evening, and there it was.

So I went on an amazon book shopping spree just now.

Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen -- If I find this boring, I can always try the audiobook Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

James Baldwin: The Complete Works, James Baldwin

The Souls of Black Folk, WEB Du Bois

City of Golden Shadow (Otherland Book 1) Tad Williams

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas

The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner

The Maltese Falcon, Dashell Hammet

The Greek Plays: Sixteen Plays by Aeschulus, Sophocles, and Euripedes

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

Damn it. That's a lot of books.

======================

My BuJo is updated, and I'm ready to go for week 1.

Since I slept for 15 hours straight yesterday, I'm still pretty wired and will be staying up for the better part of the next 24 hours. <sigh> It's time to do some writing and plotting.

I also downloaded Dabble, which is like google docs and scrivener had love child. I've transported all my text into that and now I'm going to spend some time on using the plotting tools to sort out some character arcs.

I should get a workout in this afternoon. Then do some reading.

I need to reconfigure my daily routine, and try to fit in all the reading and such.

I'm going to aim for...

2:00 pm -- wake up to warm coffee

2:05 pm -- warmup: stretch/yoga/stat bike

2:20 pm -- Workout: weights/yoga/stat bike

2:45 pm -- Clean something for 10-15 min.

3:00 pm -- Pre-work Shower

3:10 pm -- Breakfast

3:30 pm -- Read

4:00-4:30 pm -- Leave for work

2:30-3:00 am -- Come home from work

3:00 am -- Post work shower

3:10 am -- Prep next day's work lunches

3:20 am -- Last meal, prep for writing

4:00 - 5:00 am -- writing hour

5:00 - 6:00 am -- Free hour: read, write more, watch a TV show

6:00 am -- Bedtime

That's a tight schedule. Red things are things I shouldn't flex much on.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I read Mary Shelley's Frankestien in High School, and expected not to like it because I thought it was just horror. I was so pleasantly surprised. It was such an intriguing story and so well written. 

4 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

I always saw the Frankenstein movies and I didn’t know it was a book until I was on the way to camp in 6th or 7th grade. One of the high school counselors was reading it because it was assigned reading in school and she told me the backstory of the writing, and was super excited because apparently it was the first or one of the first assigned readings written by a woman. 

Further, it was originally written by Shelley at age 19, likely while taking care of her baby, in a ghost story contest with friends proposed by Lord Byron and during the Summer of 1816, i.e. the Year With No Summer, in which people were holed up and likely dealing with a volcanic winter. She lost the first 3 of her 4 babies and those losses seem to have had a profound effect on the book. It probably doesn’t hurt that I really liked and respected the person who introduced me, and that she told me all about the background which just made the whole thing more compelling to me. 

Pride and Prejudice is very witty. 

You have a great book list. I’ve read most and would reread any of those again. Half tempted to do so. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, Chris Tarly said:

So if you guys have recommendations for feminist, LGBTQ+, minority/non-Western authors, viewpoints, and stories please chime in.

I know you've got quite the list already, but I'll throw in a few. :) They are all quite short (except Barefoot Gen, which is 10 volumes, but it is a graphic novel, so it's still kind of short).

Classics by/about Women:

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Flannery O'Connor's short stories perhaps?

Modern Classic Graphic Novels from Minority/non-Western Perspectives:

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - autobiography of an upper-class girl's experience of the Iranian Revolution

Barefoot Gen by Keiji Nakazawa - the aftermath of the bombing of Hiroshima, based on the experiences of the author

I also find flipping through the Slave Narratives on Project Gutenberg interesting, but could never read one cover to cover.

• Like 3

I need to get my sleep back under control. I was up all night last night. I was going to zoom with a couple friends early in the afternoon, but cancelled cuz I crashed for a nap at noon. In other news, naps are now 7 hours long.

BuJo-ing: I bujoed. Saturday is a big Bujo day. I got the thing updated last night with my new food log. I also did my weekly measurements and all that. I am down again from last week, but not as low as a couple weeks ago. Also, I've been eating like an asshole lately. Since Thursday, I have eaten 1 whole frozen pizza, and two whole boxes of cereal. And last week's calories were the highest yet.

Lifting: I lifted today. I did more Bear complexes with 65# on the bar. 3 sets of 3. Tomorrow I wil get on the hamster wheel for a bit.

Hedgehog-Running-on-Wheel-Fall.gif

Rodents (or in this case Insectivores) failing on hamster wheels are some of my fav gifs.

Cleaning: i took the garbage out along with a bunch of other boxes I had cluttering up the living room. That took two trips to the dumpster. That counts as cleaning. Tomorrow tho, I need to clean the bathtub.

Reading: I read for two hours and finished Neuromancer finally. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I think cyberpunk is a much better genre for Film and TV. Might start a new book in this last hour before bed. Also, once all these books come in, I'm suspending my amazon prime subscription. No point. I have all the books, and their video service has not been working on my TV lately.

Writing: I dove into my writing hour tonight and got 729 words down in my fantasy novel.

• Like 5
On 7/30/2020 at 7:47 AM, Chris Tarly said:

I haven't decided if he dies at the end, or not, or ...

or

If the hackers are the good guys or the bad guys, or ...

Could be both

Download shrug emoji old man png images background | TOPpng

I have a mish-mosh of stories. Some, I know the ending before I really write the beginning.  Others follow a sense of logic and I get to the conclusion by build-up.  Like my final writing assignment had two endings: one was the 'good' ending, but in my mind, there was more to the story so I wrote a final chapter and it became a 'bad' ending but it felt right even though it wasn't intended.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don’t think we can be friends if you didn’t like Neuromancer.

I'm not saying I didn't like, just that I was disappointed.

It was too cool for me. I'll leave it at that.

FWIW... I enjoyed the ending of GoT, so...

9 hours ago, Teros said:

Could be both

Download shrug emoji old man png images background | TOPpng

I have a mish-mosh of stories. Some, I know the ending before I really write the beginning.  Others follow a sense of logic and I get to the conclusion by build-up.  Like my final writing assignment had two endings: one was the 'good' ending, but in my mind, there was more to the story so I wrote a final chapter and it became a 'bad' ending but it felt right even though it wasn't intended.

Same here.

I know how my fantasy novel is ending... I think... quite a bit has changed since I started writing, but I've noticed my characters changing so they'll be able to pull off the ending.

The cyberpunk/sci-fi is more of a discovery write. The only thing I know for sure is how the antagonist got to where he is because the whole idea started with how he built the world the rest of the characters live in, and he is getting his own novel or maybe just a novella.

• Like 3

I am so screwed up at the moment. I tried to set myself back onto a normal (for me) bedtime at 6 am, so I laid down and tried to sleep. Couldn't do it. Two hours later I'm up watching TV. Then at 10 am I finally get tired enough to sleep and lay down. And I sleep until 8 pm.

WTF?! -- I can't break this cycle.

With that I accomplished nothing to day because I just couldn't.

Well I got a little writing done but probably only 475 words.

I even forgot to weigh myself.

Well, goals are still staying, but won't get anything done until I fix this messed up sleep/wake cycle issue.

I'm broken.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

giphy.gif 

Granted I had some issues with a few character arcs, and the execution (mainly rushed production for TV) but...

Overall it was a poignant take on the folly of charismatic leadership and heroism. Everyone who made it to the small council deserved to be there.

33 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

Granted I had some issues with a few character arcs, and the execution (mainly rushed production for TV) but...

Overall it was a poignant take on the folly of charismatic leadership and heroism. Everyone who made it to the small council deserved to be there.

I don’t disagree with the take on the folly of charismatic leadership and heroism. Ultimately, I really couldn’t get past the sexual violence, of the fact that they killed off all but a tiny handful of the likable characters. I was lukewarm on the ending, which to be fair is a LOT better than I was on the last 2 seasons I watched. 

• Like 1