• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox and the Workout

7 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

I believe you get a mulligan with every 50 of a streak...

I'll take it.

I bought a Red Bull to use as a 10-day streak bonus prize to get my streak going again.

But it was a weird week and weird weekend and I had coffee to late last night and had a weird night followed by an early training on campus and got plans tonight, so I'm still in the Habitica tavern with everything on pause and I'll get my ish together tomorrow and start again Wednesday.

• Like 1

With husband's help I'm getting back on track today. We worked out this morning and are doing yoga during lunch. No more dodging it and making excuses.

Work is breaking my brain so I'm probably gonna be fairly quiet on here for the next couple weeks. 

• Like 3

I hate backing down from a challenge especially when the last challenge was so effective as a motivator, but I think modifying the goal is a better option that trying to muscle up the energy to work out in the morning AND do yoga later in the day. I've changed my morning workout schedule to a daily "morning movement" quota, which is the planned workout some days, and some days it's a 30-minute walk because the weather is nice. And then yoga at lunch.

I lost my meditation mojo but I don't want to give up on it even though I feel like it's not helping with the things I wanted it to help with. A new quest started in Habitica so my party will take hits if I leave the daily unchecked; gonna lean on that for motivation for now.

We've been weighing ourselves approximately every day but haven't made many dietary changes yet; I guess this is just setting a baseline for normal fluctuation.

I have a big deadline at work coming up at the end of the month so that's taking up a lot of my mental energy, and what's left goes to trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to write with any kind of reliable consistency.

In cheerful news, I made chocolate marzipan scone bread and it was really good. Turns out marzipan is really easy to make.

• Like 1

The thing I find with challenge goals is that sometimes realizing that a goal isn't going to work and modifying it can be more beneficial than gritting it out and eventually giving up because a goal wasn't working. I think modifying goals helps get me out of the all or nothing mindset.

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

The thing I find with challenge goals is that sometimes realizing that a goal isn't going to work and modifying it can be more beneficial than gritting it out and eventually giving up because a goal wasn't working. I think modifying goals helps get me out of the all or nothing mindset.

This is true. I often have an all or nothing mindset. It's too easy for the lines between legitimate reasons and just excuses to blur, so I avoid it by giving myself little-to-no margin.  I haven't found a sweet spot that isn't "all" but is still aggressive enough to keep me away from "nothing" (or "so small it might as well be nothing"...which is maybe a problem unto itself).

• Like 1

Still alive, just not posting! Still doing yoga daily, restarting the meditation streak, and doing other exercise sometimes.

I'm about to embark on new art and writing journeys...or at least new approaches to improving my art and writing. That'll probably be part of my next challenge.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Still alive, just not posting!

You and me both!

But it's gonna stop for me. Vacation is over, welcome back to a solid schedule!

Let's get at together again!

• Like 1

Some thoughts to consider for next challenge:

• I am not getting more flexible. My legs feel like they're getting tighter in spite of the daily yoga, and I'm barely running these days. My neck and shoulders are carrying tons of tension. Should I try passive stretching sessions? Yoga targeting flexibility in the legs? Short stretch breaks throughout the day? (that last thing might become necessary because sitting through meetings is nigh on impossible this week and I don't know if it's physical or psychological but stretching helps like 20%)
  • My core is pretty weak, all things considered (another thing I sort of assumed would improve dramatically with yoga — my body is not prone to dramatic improvement). Maybe throw in a couple pilates moves every day or a couple times a week? I really don't like core exercises so that's more agreeable than doing entire workouts targeting the core. And again, related stuff that strengthens the core (yoga, other working out) doesn't work well enough.
  • Side note: It's not all doom and gloom; my lower back has improved since starting to do yoga regularly.
  • I had that initial burst of interest in gaining muscle mass, followed by inaction. It's hot and I don't want to eat anything most days, except occasionally I want pizza or pho or ramen, and I've been tired and down and trying to do muscle building workouts in addition to yoga was just a lot. Is targeting flexibility, core strength, and muscle gain too much for one challenge? Historically I've done best with simple challenges.
  • And rewards! My jacket reward from last challenge still isn't here because I'm waiting for XS to come back in stock and debating going with a different brand instead of waiting. But also, it's 100 degrees here right now so I won't get to wear it for two months anyway. I don't really want anything right now, so the reward motivation is meh. I have time before the next challenge starts, at least.

That's all for now.

• Like 3

One thing to keep in mind with flexibility, is that even with yoga, we still send most of our day in one position. What really helps my flexibility is trying to stand some throughout the day, and also making time to sit on the floor as opposed to a chair.

I do best with simple challenges too. That way I have one thing to focus on. If I get in other stuff too, great, that's a bonus. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

One thing to keep in mind with flexibility, is that even with yoga, we still send most of our day in one position. What really helps my flexibility is trying to stand some throughout the day, and also making time to sit on the floor as opposed to a chair.

I do best with simple challenges too. That way I have one thing to focus on. If I get in other stuff too, great, that's a bonus. 

Good point. At my office I have a standing desk so I can switch it up, though I didn't necessarily switch it up every day. At home I only sit. And I don't really want to stack boxes on my nice small desk to make a janky standing desk...there's barely enough room as it is. Buuuuuuut sitting is getting more and more uncomfortable and my hips/lower back pop loudly when I stand up...at least I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow. 😆

Since I want to kick off some writing and art goals next round, I think I'll just pick one fitness area to focus on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

I don't really want to stack boxes on my nice small desk to make a janky standing desk...there's barely enough room as it is.

Literally 5 minutes later I get up to go find a box and realize my dresser is about the right height!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got my meditation streak back up to 10, and my yoga streak is beyond that, so I'm cashing in my reward and having a Red Bull. Unfortunately I also have a splitting headache today. I get headaches often so I'm not worried about it but it's annoying and I'm really insensitive to pain medication so I have to take max doses which always feels somehow unfriendly toward my body...I'll not overthink it.

Hey, we're almost to the weekend! Cheers.

• Like 2

I'm undecided on what to do for my next challenge — I just read Gideon the Ninth and LOVED IT SO MUCH MY GOSH which means I have some inspiration for a bodyweight challenge, since Gideon does like 100s of push ups and pull ups and squats in the book when she's bored, but also when I'm experiencing anxiety and/or having an existential crisis, running is a better coping method. It's way easier for me to do the same thing every day than to follow a varied schedule, but it's probably going to be more beneficial for my body to alternate running and bodyweight stuff...right? But I want to keep it simple...but muscles grow with rest...

• Like 2