• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kestrel Grey

Vanity Is My Touchstone

That's right.  I'm turning darkly obsessed with my appearance for the next 6 weeks.  For every decision, the question will be "does this make me look pretty?"

Disney GIF - Find on GIFER

There is a non-superficial reason behind this.  My skin reflects my inner state and health clearly, and my body composition reflects my diet.  If a choice makes me look pretty, it is also probably good for me.  The main factors are:

• nutrition
  • sleep
  • stress levels
  • self-care routines
  • healthy exercise
  • hydration

which sounds an awful lot like the factors for being a healthy person.  Stating my challenge in terms of vanity just makes it more fun. :D

Normally my goals would be focused on a fitness target.  Right now, I don't have a ton of free time to invest in training and the urgency has disappeared along with all of 2020's events.  So I think maintaining what fitness I do have (mainly in running) and focusing on health instead for a while is a good thing.  Over the past couple weeks, I have been fiddling with my daily schedule and I should be able to reliably free up 2 hours for fitness-y stuff, 4 days a week.  Most weeks will have more free time if I get days off, but those aren't reliable and are often prebooked for other things.  My challenge goals take that into account.  And because I have historically done well with microhabits, they will reappear here.

The base layer goals, providing structure to be able to get through the day/week:

1. Start getting ready for sleep at 12:30.  Includes skin care and teeth care.  Lights out by 1 am.
  2. Set alarm for 9:30 am.  (Left alone I would easily sleep 10+ hours.)
  3. Plan out my day and update my day-planner over my morning tea.
  4. Run 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.  Aim for a long run at least every second week.
  5. Lift at the gym once a week. Currently this is Back Squat, Deadlift, OHP, and Rows.

The microhabits:

1. When choosing what to eat, ask "will this make me look pretty?"  Most of the time go with the answer that makes me prettiest.
  2. At 1pm and 11pm, eat a veggie if I haven't had one already.
  3. Wipe down the sink after food prep.
  4. After putting Delboy back in his cage, pick up the cloth I use to clean the cage.
  5. After every time I change Monday to Friday, do 2 shoulder shrugs and 2 negative push-ups.

the aristocats gifs Page 7 | WiffleGif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I was exhausted again today and slept for 2 hours instead of going for a run and cooking.  I may have to figure out a way to schedule 10 hours sleep because otherwise I just fall back asleep and ruin my plans.

Yesterday and today I avoided anything bad for my complexion.  Today especially I was thinking about a coke, but took extra tea to work instead.  My fruit/veggie goal is falling short though I did grab a handful of plain lettuce to munch on on my way out the door.  That counts.  My bedtime routine is on day 3; as a bonus, my teeth are now getting flossed daily.

• Like 4

Calling a mulligan on today.  It was hot and miserable and I ate ice cream and hid in my dark room all day. Around 5pm I had a cold bath, which rejuvenated me enough to go water my veggies and buy yet more ice cream.

i-want-to-be-a-mature-adult-and-work-and-23721004.png

• Like 3

On 7/30/2020 at 7:00 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Been feeling like this too a lot lately

Hope stuff is getting better.

Thanks, it has been better a bit.  I think it is mostly the heat/bad sleep so it is temporary.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, Xena said:

I had a similar day. No judgement here.

Mulligans are acceptable in everything but chess.

• Like 2

Thursday and Friday

These two days were okay.  Better than Wednesday.  The morning pushups/shrugs and the bedtime beauty routine was followed and I made sure to eat a couple fruits and veggies.  Actually yesterday, at 11pm I realised there were no veggies in my dinner and I grabbed half a head of lettuce out of my fridge and ate it like a deer.  It was pretty good, very refreshing.

How to manage deer damage on trees and other plants | UMN Extension

I worked the early shift in the city so it was not possible to follow my normal routine, and no workouts were done. Twice I ate sugar when I could have chosen something better, but there were also several times I first thought of sugary foods then upgraded to a healthier choice.

Saturday

I managed my first run of the week!  An easy 40 minutes around the indoor track.  I had the track all to myself so felt fine using it, and there was no way I could run outdoors in this gross heat.  In the past week, my sleep has been interrupted every 90 minutes when my sweat soaks through the pillow and the sogginess wakes me up so I can swap out for a dry pillow and move 6 inches to the left.  Fun times.

My to-do list is still only getting half complete each day and I'm not getting enough exercise.  And though my diet is including veggies again, apparently I have gained a little weight this week.  Maybe just water weight?

• Like 2

I think all kinds of things get messed up when it's too hot to sleep. Great that you got out to the indoor track!

• Like 1

Today was a Good Day.  Last night my husband insisted that I take the spare room bed (only big enough for one and he usually sleeps there because the master bed is too soft for his back).  The room actually gets cool at night and it was glorious!  I slept like a baby and woke up happy.  Sunday is Pancake Day and that helped too.  I make whole grain spelt protein pancakes and never feel guilty eating half a batch. :)

Run #2 was 40 minutes with 5 x 225m fast/225m easy.  I could have run the fast parts harder, but really enjoyed the pace I went.  Actually, I don't know my pace.  Recently I have stopped wearing my watch when I run.  After I had time for a few errands before work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I slept like a baby

You woke up every 2 hours and cried? :P 

Glad to hear you finally got a good night's sleep, not getting that is just a drain on everything.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You woke up every 2 hours and cried? :P 

Glad to hear you finally got a good night's sleep, not getting that is just a drain on everything.

*slept like a baby whose parents were big believers in old-fashioned gripe water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Isn’t everyone doing that these days?

Not enough whiskey in your life.

Week 1 - Microhabit upgrade

1. When choosing what to eat, ask "will this make me look pretty?"  Most of the time go with the answer that makes me prettiest.
  2. Take out a fruit or veggie when preparing breakfast, lunch and dinner.  At 1pm and 11pm, eat a veggie if I haven't had one already.
  3. Wipe down the sink after food prep.
  4. After putting Delboy back in his cage, pick up the cloth I use to clean the cage.
  5. When re-entering the bedroom after breakfast After every time I change Monday to Friday, do 2 shoulder shrugs and 2 negative push-ups.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Going without the watch in this kind of weather is a good strategy, depending on how your brain works. I wear mine, not really because I want to know my speed, but more because it helps me just to know that time is actually passing and the run will eventually end.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, Defining said:

I love the framing you're using for the this challenge - sounds like a good way to switch things up!

Thanks, anything to keep it fresh.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, Xena said:

Going without the watch in this kind of weather is a good strategy, depending on how your brain works. I wear mine, not really because I want to know my speed, but more because it helps me just to know that time is actually passing and the run will eventually end.

I like that it is an easy way to track workouts (how many you have been doing, accumulated miles for the week/month/year compared to last year, etc) but sometimes it just feels judgy.  Plus I always forget to charge it.

• Like 2

Week One - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Beauty Basics

My routine is working smoothly so far.  My morning tea/scheduling and my nightly beauty routine are becoming more automatic.  Falling asleep on time is less consistent.  Last night I did turn out my lights by 1, but then turned them back on again when I didn't want to sleep yet.  I finally went to sleep at 3.  The sink cleaning is getting done.  The bird cage cleaning I forgot yesterday.

Beauty Foods

Nutrition is going less smoothly.  For the past two days, I acknowledged that some of my food choices weren't the best but they were the most convenient.  I need to work on having more convenient healthy snacks that are grab-and-go, have a little protein, and can be eaten whilst driving.  Today had a planned and totally acceptable ice cream cone.

rachel mcadams 6 | Faze

The change to having a veggie audit twice a day is helping get my fruit and veggie content up, so a win there.  It is getting me to be a bit more proactive in planning veggies into my meals too; yesterday we had shrimp stirfy, and today was chicken pad thai.

Beauty Booty

Monday - strength training at the gym.  I did not do any push-ups or shrugs outside of that.

Tuesday - planned rest day.  3 sets of push-ups/shrugs at changing clothes (missed one).

Wednesday - planned easy run.  Procrastinated until I ran out of time.  4 sets of push-ups/shrugs.

After @Defining mentioned grease-the-groove strength training, I have been doing more research into ways it could work into a barbell lifting program.  And now I really, really wish I could!  If I can get to the gym 5 days a week for about 45 minutes, this program would do wonders for me.  If only... Something to keep on the back burner for winter.

In random gardening news, today I attempted pruning my pumpkins.  They have been so healthy and vigorous that I am scared to touch them and ruin it all but I need to tame them enough to get most of the producing vines back in the raised bed.  It has netting around it to keep deer/random children out of my produce and anything sprawling outside of the netting becomes fair game for scavengers.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

It has netting around it to keep deer/random children out of my produce and anything sprawling outside of the netting becomes fair game for scavengers.

Loved reading this. Picturing a pack of feral children skulking around the fringes of your pumpkin patch 🙂

• Like 2

I need to catch up with a you a little.

truth be told ; I pouted and sulked a little about the marathon and...

well, rough things happened.

I lost my running program and got out of tough here on NF.

I recall you were doing something for an event in Sept.  I don't see any recent mention of it - did it fall through or was I just confused about your goals and aspirations this year?

anyways; you look like your doing Great!  I love that you've got a good weight lifting program going on.  I Totally need to get back to that!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TGP said:

I need to catch up with a you a little.

truth be told ; I pouted and sulked a little about the marathon and...

well, rough things happened.

I lost my running program and got out of tough here on NF.

I recall you were doing something for an event in Sept.  I don't see any recent mention of it - did it fall through or was I just confused about your goals and aspirations this year?

anyways; you look like your doing Great!  I love that you've got a good weight lifting program going on.  I Totally need to get back to that!!

My ultramarathon got canceled.  I had intended to run a solo 60k to keep a focus on training, but last challenge several things happened to derail my running and I sort of gave up. It might just be the heat, but it also seems like I've stopped improving so that's demotivating too.  There's still a virtual 30k later this month.

Strength training has made a reappearance mostly because I need something to feel excited about while I figure out new long term goals. 

• Like 2