• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Checkpoint

Recommended Posts

The story so far...

OK so it's been a journey. I lost 10kg in time for my wedding in September, and now 10 months later I'm back to where I started, oops! What can I say, 2020 has been a rough one and I haven't been taking awesome care of myself. The extra weight has me feeling lousy, and feeling lousy has got me feeling even worse. So this challenge is all about breaking out of that mindset and restoring a little positivity and self-esteem. Here's how I'm going to start off:

 

Eat

Get back into more mindful eating habits. You're not always hungry, sometimes you're just bored.

 

Drink

2L of water every day.

 

Sleep

Be in bed by midnight and put the phone away by half-past.

 

Save

Planning to buy a house in the next few months, and I'd like to have a bit of cash left over afterwards.

 

Self-care Saturday

Or Sunday, whichever is convenient. Take a bit of time to treat yourself.

 

The plan...

These goals are not designed for weight loss at this time; instead they are designed to put me in a good headspace, which is something I've been sorely missing lately. This is all stuff that will make me feel better in mind and body: eating a bit less junk, drinking a bit more water, getting a bit more sleep, feeling more secure in my finances, and taking some me time. I'm trying to create a positive feedback loop that will result in a better mindset. You'll notice there's no exercise goal this time around. Well, I'm fed up of feeling bad for not exercising, so if it's not a goal it's not something I can fail at. I do plan to do some exercise, but it will be because I want to and not because I have to. My last challenge crashed and burned because I failed to manage expectations for myself in a time of change. This time I'm being realistic in my goals and getting back to basics. I need to eat, I need water, I need sleep. If getting all of that right gives me the energy to get off the couch that's a happy little side-effect. If it doesn't, that's OK too and I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual, I'm starting in Zero Week and I'm starting on a Monday. I did everything right and I still got a lousy night's sleep because of a windstorm that kept waking me up. So I'm not functioning fully today, but that won't get in the way of hitting my goals again! I'll have no trouble getting to bed early, that's for sure.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Great goals. Following. :) 

 

3 hours ago, Chesire said:

First of all, nice reset and restart line up. 

Thanks! Did it all over again on Tuesday but with much better quality sleep so I'm feeling back on my game now

 

3 hours ago, Chesire said:

Second, is it really already that close to your anniversary?!  dang

I know right!? It's gone by so quickly, but I guess that's 2020 for you. Really glad we were able to go on our honeymoon before the world shut down; they're predicting international travel won't be back to normal for maybe four or five years so I guess I'm stuck here for a while!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you are setting yourself up for some success this challenge! I think mindset is so important right now. Plus you are still working towards a healthier you with your food and water goals! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I see you are setting yourself up for some success this challenge! I think mindset is so important right now. Plus you are still working towards a healthier you with your food and water goals! 

That's the idea; it's not an aggressive plan by any means but it's a major improvement on my recent habits during this slump I've been in! It's all about baby steps to break free of the slump :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 12:38 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Eat

Get back into more mindful eating habits. You're not always hungry, sometimes you're just bored.

Ohh I know this all too well :) Good luck. Hopefully, this will all help you get into a good headspace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday could have been better if not for the anxiety spiral my brain decided to take me on. Just one of those days. I didn't quite hit my water goal, although I wasn't too far off. I also treated myself to a hot chocolate, after deciding the refreshing walk to the cafe and the dopamine boost was well worth the $4 expense.

 

Everything else went pretty well though. I didn't overdo the afternoon snack because I remembered I'd already had a hot chocolate. And I went to bed on time and managed to switch off pretty quickly. All in all it was a pretty good day considering the mental health challenges arising.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Wednesday could have been better if not for the anxiety spiral my brain decided to take me on. Just one of those days. I didn't quite hit my water goal, although I wasn't too far off. I also treated myself to a hot chocolate, after deciding the refreshing walk to the cafe and the dopamine boost was well worth the $4 expense.

 

Everything else went pretty well though. I didn't overdo the afternoon snack because I remembered I'd already had a hot chocolate. And I went to bed on time and managed to switch off pretty quickly. All in all it was a pretty good day considering the mental health challenges arising.

This sounds like the effects of a caffeine sensitivity. Caffeine induces anxiety in sensitive people (like me). Google "caffeine anxiogenic" to see what I mean. As the caffeine wears off you get anxiety, possibly to the point where you can't focus on anything. The solution! Have some more caffeine and then you feel good again. It's not dopamine, it's withdrawal symptoms being fixed.
If you'd really like to fix your anxiety, try eating and drinking no cocoa, no coffee, no tea, no energy drinks etc. for two weeks. That includes the decaf varieties and chocolate cake/biscuits/ice cream/nutella etc. And yes there is enough caffeine in cocoa to make you nervous and if the hot chocolate was strong you might have had about 1/2 an espresso's worth.
After two weeks, if you notice a difference then your life will be changed (mine was). If you don't, then I'm wrong and you can tell me so, publicly on this forum. :) That'll learn me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

This sounds like the effects of a caffeine sensitivity. Caffeine induces anxiety in sensitive people (like me). Google "caffeine anxiogenic" to see what I mean. As the caffeine wears off you get anxiety, possibly to the point where you can't focus on anything. The solution! Have some more caffeine and then you feel good again. It's not dopamine, it's withdrawal symptoms being fixed.
If you'd really like to fix your anxiety, try eating and drinking no cocoa, no coffee, no tea, no energy drinks etc. for two weeks. That includes the decaf varieties and chocolate cake/biscuits/ice cream/nutella etc. And yes there is enough caffeine in cocoa to make you nervous and if the hot chocolate was strong you might have had about 1/2 an espresso's worth.
After two weeks, if you notice a difference then your life will be changed (mine was). If you don't, then I'm wrong and you can tell me so, publicly on this forum. :) That'll learn me!

Thanks. My anxiety is very well controlled and my normal caffeine input hasn't changed recently so I'm not sure how much that was a contributing factor, but it's definitely something to consider if I notice an ongoing problem. This was more of a flash-in-the-pan worry session triggered by a health scare in the family which led me to start mentally planning out every possible outcome so that I would know how to solve problems as soon as I'm faced with them. I feel much more in control of that situation and so today it's no longer at the forefront of my mind, but also I was pretty exhausted by the time I was done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Friday night and I'm up past my bedtime because we wanted to finish watching Kingdom (the Korean one). It's been a pretty good week so far; I've bent a few rules but always as a conscious decision and not due to negligence.

 

I'm going to start easing my way back into intermittent fasting. It worked quite well for me last year. I updated Zero to track my eating window, and they've got a nifty new feature which lets me manually input my weight; it used to be that you had to link it with Google Fit. Annoyingly, though, it seems they've also launched a premium version so now I have to dodge all the ads trying to make me pay for extra features I'll never use. But that seems to be true of most apps these days so I guess I'll just get used to it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started getting myself back into fasting as well. I still have been thinking of the idea to do a big fast. Like 72 hours or more. Just to see how it is :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, Tateman said:

I've started getting myself back into fasting as well. I still have been thinking of the idea to do a big fast. Like 72 hours or more. Just to see how it is :)

Wow, that sure sounds like a challenge! I think the longest I ever did was about 20 hours, but I just enjoy food too much to make OMAD a regular habit. I don't miss breakfast though so I'm happy to skip it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday was good, we did some house-hunting and watched a whole lot of The Umbrella Academy but I made sure to stop well before bedtime.

 

Sunday was better, it was going to be a lazy day but a bunch of friends and I went for an impromptu walk up a big hill, so that's my self-care done.

20200802_144915_resize_57.jpg.00ddf7b064aed2352b58bb8a588b8f6f.jpg

 

Now I might supplement that with some retail therapy and see if I can find any face masks to order. We've been doing so well here I didn't expect a mask rule to be implemented. But our neighbour state isn't and I guess it's easier for them to implement a blanket rule. It's a bit annoying but it's for the greater good, I only hope I'm not too late to find any good ones.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 7:21 AM, Lateral Planet said:

they're predicting international travel won't be back to normal for maybe four or five years so I guess I'm stuck here for a while!

Meanwhile Japan is still acting like the (delayed) Olympics are going to go ahead as (re)scheduled... 🙄 They're not currently letting foreigners in from 148 countries, so I'm not sure how they're planning to arrange that and I wish they would just stop posturing, but of course building the stadiums was expensive and people will be pissed if we don't get any use out of them. Sigh.

 

On 8/1/2020 at 5:30 AM, Tateman said:

I've started getting myself back into fasting as well. I still have been thinking of the idea to do a big fast. Like 72 hours or more. Just to see how it is :)

I've been wanting to try doing a longer fast again! I have two weeks of summer vacation coming up this challenge, maybe I'll try to fit one in there. But I'm also considering trying alternate day fasting instead.

 

4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Sunday was better, it was going to be a lazy day but a bunch of friends and I went for an impromptu walk up a big hill, so that's my self-care done.

That picture is gorgeous. All that talk of hot chocolate reminded me that it must be winter where you are, but that is one summery blue sky.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Meanwhile Japan is still acting like the (delayed) Olympics are going to go ahead as (re)scheduled... 🙄 They're not currently letting foreigners in from 148 countries, so I'm not sure how they're planning to arrange that and I wish they would just stop posturing, but of course building the stadiums was expensive and people will be pissed if we don't get any use out of them. Sigh.

It's a real shame. I can sympathise considering how much work went into all the planning and everything but at certain point they've got to realise it's just not going to happen :(

 

48 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

That picture is gorgeous. All that talk of hot chocolate reminded me that it must be winter where you are, but that is one summery blue sky.

It was a lovely day! Not a lot of warmth in the sun but the weather was great. It's so nice having landscapes like this in the middle of the city. Plus we saw some roos, and that always puts me in a good mood :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

It's a real shame. I can sympathise considering how much work went into all the planning and everything but at certain point they've got to realise it's just not going to happen

Nah, this is Japan. They'll hold off on making any decision or announcing it until just a couple weeks before the new schedule at the absolute earliest. (When schools shut down, we literally found out THAT DAY, in the middle of the day. There was a news announcement, and then an emergency teachers meeting, and then we told the kids "surprise we'll finish out the day and then you're done." I was at elementary school that day, after that announcement half my next class came in in tears.)

 

So we've got a year of suspense while we wait for the organizing body to acknowledge that they've realized it's not going to happen. Just this week they sent out surveys to the people signed up to volunteer at the events asking if they were still interested in volunteering, so they're definitely still pretending it's gonna happen for now. I think the current idea they're floating is to just have the events without any audience. Can you imagine being an athlete performing in one of those huge stadiums with absolutely no one there to watch?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Can you imagine being an athlete performing in one of those huge stadiums with absolutely no one there to watch?

 

Gotta admit, that would kind of suck. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Gotta admit, that would kind of suck. 

I've seen a few snippets of rugby and WWE matches they've done without an audience, and it's really weird. Especially the WWE, which is usually about 80 per cent crowd work and 20 per cent actual wrestling.

 

8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Nah, this is Japan. They'll hold off on making any decision or announcing it until just a couple weeks before the new schedule at the absolute earliest. (When schools shut down, we literally found out THAT DAY, in the middle of the day. There was a news announcement, and then an emergency teachers meeting, and then we told the kids "surprise we'll finish out the day and then you're done." I was at elementary school that day, after that announcement half my next class came in in tears.)

Yikes, that's awful! I understand the need to act quickly but a little more warning would've been nice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning I weighed in at 2.5kg less than this time last week, which doesn't sound right, but whatever. Possibly my little challenge is more effective than expected, but more likely I was suffering some premenstrual bloating last week that has now taken care of itself. Either way it's a step in the right direction!

 

Today I slept in a bit so I forgot to bring any snacks with me to work, so the focus for the day will be resisting a trip to the vending machine for an overpriced KitKat.

 

Found some face masks on Etsy and they've already shipped, yay! I tried looking at local stores but since they've only just started talking about a mask rule in Australia in the last few weeks they're all sold out, so I'm having to wait for shipping from the US. Hopefully I won't need them before then, but I have some disposable particulate masks left over from the bushfires if I get desperate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

doesn't sound right, but whatever. [...] Either way it's a step in the right direction!

This is the best attitude towards scale fluctuations. Don't put too much stock in it, but don't be afraid to be pleased by progress either!

 

I'm glad to hear you found some masks, too. Stay safe out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

This is the best attitude towards scale fluctuations. Don't put too much stock in it, but don't be afraid to be pleased by progress either!

Absolutely. It's quite nice not having any firm goals in that respect; all I know is I'm heavier than is really comfortable, so any loss is good. I also know the human body is a mysterious thing and I can only exert so much control over those fluctuations. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter's weight goes up and down with very little apparent relationship to what she eats, whereas mine is pretty constant. If I eat too much it goes up.
The difference is hormones; she has heaps and I have none. 

The exception to the rule is salt. If I eat restaurant or take away food my weight will zoom up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.