Lateral Planet: Checkpoint

Wednesday went well except I had no interest in postponing my morning cuppa so I scrapped my intermittent fasting goal for the day. There's been some stuff going on and the comfort of tea was worth more to me than the satisfaction of fasting. Oh also I went to bed a smidge late because we were finishing off another show, but it was only by 10 minutes so that's not so bad.

I was about to do the same this morning and make myself a tea, but then I realised I was only one hour away from my fasting goal so I'm going to wait.

• Like 2

Back on the topic of apps, I woke to an email saying NerdFitness has just released an app! And apparently my free trial of Prime will last another month so I gave it a whirl. So far it's pretty much in the same vein as the Academy, but a whole lot slicker. And it's been a long time since I went through any of that stuff so a refresher is probably due to help me get back in the groove. Anyway I guess I have a few weeks to consider whether I want to buy a subscription so I'll just enjoy it in the meantime. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Back on the topic of apps, I woke to an email saying NerdFitness has just released an app! And apparently my free trial of Prime will last another month so I gave it a whirl. So far it's pretty much in the same vein as the Academy, but a whole lot slicker. And it's been a long time since I went through any of that stuff so a refresher is probably due to help me get back in the groove. Anyway I guess I have a few weeks to consider whether I want to buy a subscription so I'll just enjoy it in the meantime. 

Yup, got the same email. I started playing around with the app last night, and more today. I may just give it a go to add in some exercise into my challenge. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yup, got the same email. I started playing around with the app last night, and more today. I may just give it a go to add in some exercise into my challenge. 

I'm up to level 6, yay! Yep I'm hoping it'll be a helpful thing to nudge me back towards a regular exercise habit.

I appreciate that the daily tasks are per 24 hours rather than set to a specific time window. A few years ago I joined NF Rising Heroes for a while but part of why I couldn't stick with it is I just wasn't in sync with the US time zones. Weekly goals started on Monday morning but that's Tuesday afternoon for me and it just didn't work. That's also why I haven't really explored Prime access very much; there's a whole lot of interactive stuff and livestreams that are probably really cool but not at 4am ;) So this is much more accessible for me, since it's self-paced like the Academy, but also with the regular prompting, and it's just on my phone so I can pop in anytime and check out a mission.

• Like 3

Well I had a whole post written recapping the week and then it got eaten so the short version is that things are going mostly well. 

This week coming up is going to be very busy. I'm meeting a friend for dinner on Monday and then going on a little road trip with some other friends down to the beach for a few days. Don't expect to actually do much at the beach since it's too damn cold, but we just wanted to get out of town for a bit after long months of nothing happening. Then I have to zoom back home in time for a cinema date with Husband, our first since March, so exciting!

• Like 3
On 8/11/2020 at 4:21 AM, Lateral Planet said:

But from now on to access the new virtual races I would have to upgrade from a regular annual subscription ($30ish) to a VIP subscription ($100ish)

Aw maaaan :( I haven't done any of the virtual races yet, but that's still really annoying. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Last Challenge: NW13 Dials It In

Past Challenges: 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

4 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Aw maaaan :( I haven't done any of the virtual races yet, but that's still really annoying. 

I did the maths and I think it's value for money if you do all three races a year and are interested in getting merch since you also get a discount at their store. But I find their shirts have a neckline that's too high to be comfortable for me so I wouldn't really get the benefit.

I understand they're a business and they need to make their money, but so are Nerd Fitness and so are Down Dog Yoga, and before I know it I'm paying ~$300/year altogether. So I'm happy to economise a bit and stick with the basic membership for Zombies Run for the foreseeable. I'm still enjoying the new Nerd Fitness app, but not sure yet whether I like it to the tune of A$140/year (NF Prime is US$99/year). Perhaps one of these days I'll be better able to just do stuff without prompting from a shiny handheld computer program 😅

• Like 2

Oops, been a while since my last update. Here's what's up so far this week:

Doing well with mindful eating. A sudden change of plans left me without a prepared lunch today, so I had a choice between disappointing tortellini and disappointing sweet and sour chicken. Also on the topic of eating, I've started tracking my food again the last few days. It's a habit that has served me well but I stopped doing it for a few weeks there. Now the NF app has prompted me to start up again.

The app is also reminding me to take short walks during the day, which I've also been meaning to do more of lately. Today I joined some work chums on a coffee run, and despite the temptation I didn't get myself a hot chocolate, so that's a win for both my savings and mindful eating goals.

So things have been going well and I'm getting back into the groove of good behaviour that will improve my health. But the rest of the week will be basically a holiday. I'll be doing some exercise but I won't hesitate to have some delicious desserts, alcohol and deep-fried food. It's going to be so great!

• Like 2

The long weekend has started and that means it's time to go all-out indulgent. First step is a sausage roll for lunch. I don't remember the last time I had one of those! Followed by an Australian classic I must introduce to my American friends here: the lamington

20200820_134200_resize_96.jpg.410f3a6154d16c5d52f541439b35224d.jpg

A bit of sponge cake the size of your fist, dipped in chocolate sauce and rolled in coconut. Oh yeah, this weekend is off to a good start!

• Like 3

Day 2 of my long weekend! Started with a 6km bush/beach walk and saw a whole lot of wildlife, it was lovely! Then went to a tiny tourist trap town for lunch and shopping. I kept my saving goal in mind and didn't buy much, just some fancy cheeses and a nice cheese knife. Planning a nice cheese platter and salad for dinner, which is way healthier than last night's calamari and chips. We're here to treat ourselves but you can have too much of a good thing!

20200821_121743_resize_98.thumb.jpg.df0de8307bc99a6cd96faa4af7b0a1d3.jpg

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Chesire said:

This American will be exploring this delightful treat.

Glad to see your are enjoying your long weekend!

I highly recommend it! It was a lovely weekend. Finished off with a leisurely 8km walk by the beach and a visit to another cheese factory. My jeans are definitely tighter than they were a few days ago (and let's be honest, they were already a little too tight around the tummy) but I have absolutely no regrets!

Now I'm back home and getting ready to face reality tomorrow. It's going to be a very busy couple of weeks with lots of overtime (although I get another mini break at the end to look forward to). I just whipped up a batch of curry for dinners and I have all this delicious cheese for lunches. I haven't had a busy week like this at the office for a long time so I'm hoping I have the stamina! It was so nice working from home when I could just flop down on the couch literally seconds after finishing a long day at work ;)

• Like 1

It's Monday morning and miraculously I weigh the same as I did last Monday! I guess all that walking helped to offset some of the indulgence.

The plan for this week is to manage my expectations. Work is kind of dominating at the moment (I don't think I'll get home til midnight tonight) so I won't have a lot of time or energy left over for exercising. So most of my focus will be on nutrition and sleep goals, but I'll also try to do some walking during my breaks just to stretch out a bit.

• Like 2

Oops, plans for a walk have been postponed. It turns out that while I was away from work I missed the memo that we are now strongly encouraged to wear face masks when in common areas of the building. Fair enough, but I don't have any with me and I don't want to be the only person wandering around willy-nilly without. So walkies will have to wait until tomorrow!

• Like 3
On 8/23/2020 at 8:51 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Oops, plans for a walk have been postponed. It turns out that while I was away from work I missed the memo that we are now strongly encouraged to wear face masks when in common areas of the building. Fair enough, but I don't have any with me and I don't want to be the only person wandering around willy-nilly without. So walkies will have to wait until tomorrow!

Tomorrow is an excellent day for walkies!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

Tomorrow is an excellent day for walkies!

It was! The sun was shining but it was very cold so I just went up and down a long corridor with lots of lovely windows. Nice way to break up a long, long day. I've gone soft after so many weeks of easy 9-5, the overtime is killing me!

Just went for an impromptu walk around the building; I was getting quite restless at my desk so I needed to stretch my legs before settling in for the last half of the day. The walk was about 2km, which by a happy coincidence is also how far I can go in my work shoes before my feet start hurting! If I want to make such walks a regular habit I'll have to be prepared with better shoes.

• Like 2

That lamington does look good. It kind of reminds me of a desert I had in the past. Though smaller sized. Just saw a recipe for a keto version, maybe I will try to make it haha https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-lamingtons/

15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Just went for an impromptu walk around the building; I was getting quite restless at my desk so I needed to stretch my legs before settling in for the last half of the day. The walk was about 2km, which by a happy coincidence is also how far I can go in my work shoes before my feet start hurting! If I want to make such walks a regular habit I'll have to be prepared with better shoes.

Maybe you have to bring a second pair of shoes to put on for the walking :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tateman said:

That lamington does look good. It kind of reminds me of a desert I had in the past. Though smaller sized. Just saw a recipe for a keto version, maybe I will try to make it haha https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-lamingtons/

Lamingtons with jam and cream in the middle are the best! Good luck with your baking adventures, I've never had any joy with keto baking.

1 hour ago, Tateman said:

Maybe you have to bring a second pair of shoes to put on for the walking :)

That's the plan. I can't drive in heels so I keep a pair of sneakers in the car anyway, I'll just have to remember to take them up to the office one day.

• Like 1

Phew, last week kind of kicked my butt, and it's looking like more of the same this week. I've been doing OK with my core goals, nothing really noteworthy is going on apart from crazy work hours so I might be absent this week.

Starting next week I have about a month of regular work hours, so more free time to do some exercise. Also the weather is cheering up a bit (yesterday I went outside with only one layer of clothing!) So I'm going to make an effort to spend more time outdoors. For now, though, I'm in survival mode!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Phew, last week kind of kicked my butt, and it's looking like more of the same this week. I've been doing OK with my core goals, nothing really noteworthy is going on apart from crazy work hours so I might be absent this week.

Starting next week I have about a month of regular work hours, so more free time to do some exercise. Also the weather is cheering up a bit (yesterday I went outside with only one layer of clothing!) So I'm going to make an effort to spend more time outdoors. For now, though, I'm in survival mode!

I feel you on crazy weeks like that. Take care of yourself and see you next week!

• Like 1