Jegan's first challenge

First timer here. Keeping it simple with 3 health/fitness goals and 1 level-up-my-life goal.

1. Minimum 10 walk daily - I know it's tiny, but I'm aiming for consistency/routine, and walking 90mins one day and 0 the next three days doesn't end well for me.
  2. 2x30 minute yoga practices per week - yin yoga is perfect for stress relief, and I love hatha and vinyasa practices too.
  3. 2x30 minute body-weight/core workouts per week - I need to build a sustainable base.
  4. 500 words daily on my novel - I'm in a workshopping course and a full draft of my manuscript is due October 11. I think I'm in a good position to hit that deadline, but I need to keep myself on-track and accountable because I'm running out of wiggle room.

I'm logging everything in a google sheets tracker on a weekly basis that's all set up and scheduled, ready to go. I plan to update here weekly for accountability.

Excited to be here :D

• Like 6

Hello first timer! I'm newish here too.

Those sound like achievable goals. It's the people that pick big epic things that struggle.

500 words is a manageable amount. What's your novel about?

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

7 hours ago, jegan said:

First timer here. Keeping it simple with 3 health/fitness goals and 1 level-up-my-life goal.

1. Minimum 10 walk daily - I know it's tiny, but I'm aiming for consistency/routine, and walking 90mins one day and 0 the next three days doesn't end well for me.
  2. 2x30 minute yoga practices per week - yin yoga is perfect for stress relief, and I love hatha and vinyasa practices too.
  3. 2x30 minute body-weight/core workouts per week - I need to build a sustainable base.
  4. 500 words daily on my novel - I'm in a workshopping course and a full draft of my manuscript is due October 11. I think I'm in a good position to hit that deadline, but I need to keep myself on-track and accountable because I'm running out of wiggle room.

I'm logging everything in a google sheets tracker on a weekly basis that's all set up and scheduled, ready to go. I plan to update here weekly for accountability.

Welcome! You got this!👍

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks all :)  

@cd667-My novel is an urban fantasy with parallel worlds, magic and romance. 

@scottbbb-I've tried nanowrimo a few times, and love the atmosphere and camaraderie. I find it's a good way to write myself into a new novel, and usually end up with somewhere between 10-30K words. But 1667 words a day for a full month is too much for me. Averaging 500 words daily is more achievable, whilst still presenting a challenge, and more forgiving if I miss a day here and there. I need the pace to be sustainable :) 

• Like 4

Heyo welcome to the forums!!

I have sort of similar goals with yoga and have attempted the 10 min walk. 

I give you luck. 

For helping with your writing goal there is a writing site 4thewords that helps enforce 444 words a day. With quests and fighting monsters that is $5 a month but first month usually free. They are just finishing a big event I believe..

Just something to bring in case you haven't heard it.

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

On 7/28/2020 at 5:26 AM, jegan said:

Those are great goals! Welcome, and good luck! :) 

On 7/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, jegan said:

I know it's tiny, but I'm aiming for consistency/routine, and walking 90mins one day and 0 the next three days doesn't end well for me.

Very good to both realize that binging is less good than small routines regularly, and to be willing to start small and build from there. :)

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Thanks @juliebarkley and @MezzotheLefty. I do youtube videos at home, and sometimes I just freestyle whatever feel's good. YogaWithAdriene is a favourite, but for Yin there are a few other youtubers I like too.

Challenge update. Week one. 

1. Walks - smashed it :) Made it out at least ten minutes daily and beat the weekly target of 70 minutes by 85 minutes.

2. Yoga - missed it - 40mins out of total 60mins target for the week. One 30 min session and one 10 min session. This week adjusting for more small practices squeezed in.

3. Body-weight workouts - smashed it :) and didn't feel as worn out the week before when I did the same.

4. 500 words daily - missed it. Started strong but then life happened. Still managed a solid 1784/3500 target words for the week. @Bouncer_the_Lovable - thanks for the tip of writing site 4thewords - I like it and hope to use it more throughout this challenge.

Life happened being we adopted a 40kg 4 year old dog. Which is great for the walking goal but pretty rubbish for the other three :D so I'm going to go forward gently. 

• Like 6

Two out of four is 50%. That's a pass!

As for the dog, you can't tell us without a picture! At 40KG, he is a bit smaller than my Max:

IMG_20170924_091513_546.jpg?variant=smal

• Like 5

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

6 hours ago, jegan said:

Challenge update. Week one. 

1. Walks - smashed it :) Made it out at least ten minutes daily and beat the weekly target of 70 minutes by 85 minutes.

2. Yoga - missed it - 40mins out of total 60mins target for the week. One 30 min session and one 10 min session. This week adjusting for more small practices squeezed in.

3. Body-weight workouts - smashed it :) and didn't feel as worn out the week before when I did the same.

4. 500 words daily - missed it. Started strong but then life happened. Still managed a solid 1784/3500 target words for the week. @Bouncer_the_Lovable - thanks for the tip of writing site 4thewords - I like it and hope to use it more throughout this challenge.

Two nice successes and two where you didn't quite get there but are making progress and have a plan to readjust. Very nice indeed.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Dogs, dogs, dogs everywhere. :P

How are your goals coming along, Jegan? I do hope you smashed that walking goal with your new exercise support companion.

• Like 2