• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ranger Hal

Ranger Hal Attempts Pull Ups

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my profile page. 

I've done Letterboxing; but not geocaching.

What source are you using to learn knots? It sounds like a skill I should develop. SAR=search & rescue?

Cleaning: what do you think is holding you back?

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

I've done Letterboxing; but not geocaching.

I did a letterbox hybrid geocache once. It was a lot of fun!

What source are you using to learn knots? It sounds like a skill I should develop. SAR=search & rescue?

Yes, SAR is search and rescue. Most of the knots I'm working on are ones I learned previously and just need to practice so I can tie them quickly. I think most of them I learned from in-person instruction, either with SAR or the mountaineering class I was taking (we got about halfway through before Covid cancelled it). Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is the class textbook and it has a section on knots (along with way more information than you would need if you just want to learn a few knots). Animatedknots.com is a website I've heard recommended several times, although I haven't used it much.

Cleaning: what do you think is holding you back?

I think it's multiple things. One is that the tasks seem too big/overwhelming. For example, to sweep the living room floor (one thing I want to do, but am not doing right now) I first need to tidy and put away most of the stuff scattered around the room, but a lot of the stuff doesn't really have a place to go, so I would need to create a place for it, and suddenly sweeping the floor has become a massive reorganizing project. Cleaning the bathroom is much easier because it doesn't require tidying first (but the bathroom is clean at the moment, so I can't use cleaning it as an excuse to ignore everything else).

Another problem I have is that I don't like to throw things away if they might be useful or if there's somewhere they can go besides a landfill. So I have things like a pile of Styrofoam that can be recycled (if I take it to a special place) and plastic bags (that may or may not be recyclable if I knew where to drop them off, but I don't want to throw them in the trash if they are recyclable) and the pile of large cardboard that could go in the regular curbside recycling, but maybe I could use it to keep weeds down in the garden (although if I'm being realistic, that's probably not going to happen). So, probably some mild hoarder tendencies along with wanting to be somewhat environmentally responsible, but also not wanting to have to work too hard at it. Oh, and throw in some social anxiety at trying to figure out where to get rid of Styrofoam and plastic bags.

And I'm pretty sure there's a part of me that is just lazy and would rather play computer games all evening when I get home from work. And who knows, maybe I have more issues as well or there's something big underneath it all that I'm ignoring.

Yikes, that turned into an essay!

8 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

So, probably some mild hoarder tendencies along with wanting to be somewhat environmentally responsible, but also not wanting to have to work too hard at it. O

Possibly, or just your typical, average Washingtonian.😉

Week 1, Friday

Pull Ups: Rest day

Hike:

Knots (5 min): guide sling

Dishes: done

Clean (5 min): putting away groceries and other random things sitting on the kitchen floor

DailyDare: 40 full bridges

Compline: done

Hike didn't happen this week, what with extra church and then working late a couple of nights.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations.

So it sounds like a decluttering session is in order. I can hear you gasping from here, lol! Seriously though, you're polluting your own environment & creating unrest in your soul by having these things lying about. Home is to be a sanctuary...a place of peace.

I struggle with paper hoarding & have to be vigilant, almost militant about it. I do not want to turn into my dad! 

So a big project is tackled one step at a time. Step 1: plastic bags can be recycled at most grocery stores in the US. Look for a white container with a recycle symbol on it either outside or right inside the grocery store doors.

You can do this. Mask up & head out. Treat it as a challenge in your forum. Make sure you give yourself a reward at the end.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fitnessgurl said:

Thanks for the recommendations.

So it sounds like a decluttering session is in order. I can hear you gasping from here, lol! Seriously though, you're polluting your own environment & creating unrest in your soul by having these things lying about. Home is to be a sanctuary...a place of peace.

I struggle with paper hoarding & have to be vigilant, almost militant about it. I do not want to turn into my dad! 

So a big project is tackled one step at a time. Step 1: plastic bags can be recycled at most grocery stores in the US. Look for a white container with a recycle symbol on it either outside or right inside the grocery store doors.

You can do this. Mask up & head out. Treat it as a challenge in your forum. Make sure you give yourself a reward at the end.

87 items out today.. am ecstatic! Decluttering and minimalism rock!

• That's Metal 1

31 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

87 items out today.. am ecstatic! Decluttering and minimalism rock!

Yes! I need to work on my closet. My goal: down to 1/2 closet. My problem: I wear most of the stuff I have left & I don't wanna. 😞 This will need a BIG reward.

• That's Metal 1

Week 1, Saturday

Pull Ups: oops, I'll try to do this one on tonight (Sunday)

Hike: well, it wasn't a weeknight like I wanted, but it was a hike

Knots (5 min): no

Dishes: no, but I barely created any dishes either

Clean (5 min): no

DailyDare: no

Compline: no

It looks like I did terrible on Saturday, but SAR has a way of derailing plans and I'm not a bit sorry. I got plenty of exercise out of the deal, lol! I can do the pull-up workout tonight and still have a rest day before the next workout (assuming we don't get another callout).

Week 1 Summary:

Pull Ups: 2/3

Hike: not on a weeknight

Knots (5 min): 3/7

Dishes: 5/7

Clean (5 min): 3/7

DailyDare: 6/7

Compline: 6/7

• Like 2

Week 2, Sunday

Pull Ups: Week 2 Day C (makeup)

Hike:

Knots (5 min): bowline, butterfly, figure eight

Dishes: done

Clean (5 min): tidying and sweeping part of the living room (sooo many pine needles!)

DailyDare: 40 thigh taps

Made a salad with lettuce from the garden!

@fitnessgurl I have started a bag of bags, but it might be a while before I take it to the store. Since Covid started, I've only been going every few weeks. Not that I have a problem leaving the house, but I've been limiting my trips to the grocery store which forces me to do a lot more pre-planning for my meals and I think that's been a good thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I have started a bag of bags

When said bag is full; put it in your car on the passenger seat. No excuses! You got this!

Yay for pre-planning!

Week 2, Monday

Pull Ups: Rest Day

Hike:

Knots (5 min): belay tie-in

Clean (5 min): swept the rest of the living room floor

DailyDare: 30 Roll-ups

• Like 1

Week 2, Tuesday

Pull Ups: Week 3 Day A

Hike:

Knots (5 min):

Clean (5 min): filed papers

DailyDare: 30 single leg deadlifts

I did something I didn't want to do today.

• Like 2

Yay for doing something you didn't want to do! I was tidying our garage the other day and thought of you. Guess what we had stuffed in one corner of our garage? A huge pile of styrofoam! I asked my husband why we had it , and he said our recycling store was closed and he didn't know what to do with it😀

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

4 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

That's a good thing...right? *smiling hopefully*

Yeah, it was good. Just one of those things that I tie myself up in knots about and put off much longer than I should.

Week 2, Wednesday

Hike:

Clean (5 min): filing papers

DailyDare: 40 bridge taps

• Like 1

Week 2, Thursday

Pull Ups: Week 3 Day B

Hike: Week 2 done

Knots (5 min): rappel setup

DailyDare:  60 seconds alt arm/leg raised plank

For my hike, I went after that geocache that I had so much trouble with a week or two ago. This time, I had the coordinates properly loaded on my GPS and found it without any trouble. Afterwards, I did a bit more hiking and got some nice views of the mountains. It was a fairly short hike, but I was also trying out my new mountaineering boots outside for the first time, so short was probably good. No major issues with the boots this time.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the only thing that got done on Friday was dishes. After work, I had church and church prep stuff and didn't get home until almost 11pm.

Week 2, Saturday

Pull Ups: Week 3 Day C

Hike: Week 2 done

Knots (5 min):

DailyDare: 2 minutes side elbow plank2 min

• Like 2

Week 2 Summary:

Pull Ups: 3/3

Hike: done

Knots (5 min): 4/7

Dishes: 7/7

Clean (5 min): 6/7

DailyDare: 6/7

Compline: 6/7

Week 3, Sunday

Hike:

Knots (5 min): reading - technical rescue handbook

DailyDare: 30 cross-reach sit-ups

Finished filing the stack of papers on the floor.

Ugh. I'm in a mood where I'm not sure I care about doing any of this. Maybe I can blame it on the weather. It's too hot.

• Like 2

Week 3, Monday

Hike:

Knots (5 min): clove hitch, munter hitch

Clean (5 min): swept computer room floor (the one that is no longer has papers to be filed on it)

DailyDare: 3 minutes calf raise hold

I'm rather happy with how dinner turned out. I had pork chops thawing in the fridge that I was going to cook in the crockpot, but after looking at my planned recipe again, I didn't feel like making it. So I found a recipe to cook them on the stove. It even used up the leftover shredded cabbage I had in the fridge.

• Like 1

Week 3, Tuesday

Pull Ups: Week 4 Day A

Hike:

Clean (5 min): put out the recycling

DailyDare: 20 raised leg (elevated) push-ups

• Like 1

Week 3, Wednesday

Pull Ups: Rest day

Hike:

Knots (5 min): belay setup

Clean (5 min): wash food bucket

DailyDare: 40 infinity circles

• Like 2

Week 3, Thursday

Pull Ups: Week 4 Day B

Hike:

Knots (5 min):

Clean (5 min): moved assorted beans to food bucket

DailyDare: 20 fly steps

On 8/10/2020 at 3:55 AM, Ranger Hal said:

I have started a bag of bags, but it might be a while before I take it to the store.

If it weren't for the Covid times, I would say bring them to your local library. Plastic bags disappear like crazy on rainy days; we never have enough.

I'm seeing steady improvement in your consistency over the course of your challenge, which is great! It seems like Friday is pretty consistently a tough day for you to get things done, and if you take that into account, you're doing quite well indeed.

• Like 1