• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Knightwatch

Knightwatch Rises

OK, well, I'm back again.  Hullo!

Last six weeks or so have sure done a number on me, on top of what quarantine season already had.  But, I'm ready to get back on track, and so I look again to some of my favorite comic book characters for inspiration as I start to rebuild an adventure ready body and life.  

Here we go!

STRENGTH

Quick, name a physically weak vigilante superhero type!

Exactly.

As for now, gyms around here remain (re-)open, and I have full access to one on off hours, so I sure as hell better not waste the opportunity.  Strength is still king for me as far as the attributes, but I’m approaching it from both angles: lifting stuff, and lifting me.

a. ABSOLUTE STRENGTH

The idea I’ll be going for here is both rebuilding consistency in training after several months away, and actual increase in absolute output.  It’ll be following something of a blend of Wendler’s 5/3/1 and the Greyskull LP.

So let’s call it, um...the Knightwatch LP??

It’ll be based around the four main lifts: PRESS, SQUAT, BENCH PRESS, and DEADLIFT

Each of those main lifts will be trained once a week, for 3 working sets of 5 reps, but the last set being taken out for max reps.  Each session, the upper body lifts will be increased by 2.5 pounds, and the lower body lifts by 5.

I’d like to not miss a single lifting session, but, life happens.  When it does, I can double up the lifts in one session, and still get 5 efforts at each movement over the Challenge.  But even if I have to put a lift aside entirely for a week, I can still make serious progress with AT LEAST 4 sessions each.

So, the goal is to hit each lift AT LEAST 4 times, and to increase my working weight by AT LEAST 10 pounds on the press and bench, and AT LEAST 20 pounds on the squat and deadlift, getting AT LEAST 3 sets of 5 in those final sessions.

Each lift can followed or accompanied by assistance work, which will MOSTLY be geared towards hypertrophy, but it’s flexible session to session.  The four main lifts is the real focus here.

b. RELATIVE STRENGTH

I’ve got a decent base of moving some weight around….unless it’s my own weight.  I’m  still really struggling there!  Sure, there will be a time for handstands and muscle ups and all that, but, right now, the focus is gonna be a lot simpler:

Pushups and Pullups.

Each should be trained, either in the gym or separately, at least 3 times a week.  This is just going to be about slowly creeping up the volume over time.

The goal here is to be able to hit 35 unbroken pushups, and 6 unbroken pullups by the end of the Challenge.

Both are goals I’ve hit before and are currently within reach, but will be the best effort I’ve had in a few years, anyway.

It goes without saying that as I drop some bodyweight, they should both become a tiny bit easier.

Which leads me to:

WEIGHT LOSS

SImply put, I’ve gone and gotten myself too damn chunky again.  This won’t do at all.  They don’t make vigilante crime fighting suits with waists that wide.  BELIEVE ME, I CHECKED.

Again, I’ll be tracking two factors here:

a. SCALE WEIGHT

This is pretty straight forward.  I plan on weighing in daily, or as close to daily as possible, maintaining a log.  I’ve got a scale right there in my bathroom, but I avoid it far too often.  I’ll be reminding myself, this isn’t about shame, this is about plain ol’ data.

The goal here is to lose at least 8 pounds by the end of the Challenge.

Will a lot be water and stuff just from eating ever so slightly less like a deranged 8 year old?  Yes.  But still, I’ll be a good jumping off point.  My theory is that even the simple accountability and immediate feedback alone will help me towards my goals.

b. GENERAL SWOLENESS

OK, admittedly this one is a little more subjective.  It’s an idea I’m snagging from the 75hard challenge:

Take a progress shot of some sort every day.

I’m not gonna be super diligent about the exact same positions and settings and lighting and such.  I’ll probably usually be wearing a shirt, sometimes, gulp, I won't.  But the idea is that I want a visual log of several weeks worth of good hard effort.

If they’re awesome, maybe I’ll post up a before and after here upon completion, but mostly this is a habit and discipline thing for myself.

CONDITIONING

It’ll help with the weightloss, it’ll help with the ol’ ticker, and it’ll could even help towards the maybe possibly someday abs.

Mostly though, it’s about doing something I avoid because I suck at it but I know is good for me.

So, the goal is AT LEAST 2 conditioning or cardio sessions a week.  This can be a ruck, a run, a hike, or a metcon at the gym.  More would be better, but, I know me.  Let’s start with 2 as the goal and if things are feeling good, I can layer more on, and on weeks that I’m not feeling it, a couple AM walks with my ruck will suffice.

MENTAL HEALTH

Sooo.  Has 2020 done a number on anyone else’s mental state by any chance??

😐

Yeah, I really need to put in the work of getting my anxiety and general depression back  under control.  I’m thinking 3 things will help me a lot:

a. MEDITATION/MINDFULNESS/PRAYER

At least 5 minutes at a time to start, maybe working up to 10-15 if it feels right.  I’m not gonna stress about doing a destressor right, since that would be a bit counter intuitive.  But I’m going to aim to get at least one 10-day streak going where I set aside some time for my own spiritual practices.

b. MEDIA FASTS

Once a week, fast from the news and facebook for about 24 hours.  Simple as that.

c. DECLUTTERING 

I’ve got too much damn stuff.  Well, to be more specific, too damn much of my stuff’s got me.  I’m not aiming to be a minimalist or anything, but I want a clean, orderly, productive space that brings me peace and sets me up to accomplish my goals.

OK, that'll about do it!  I'm realizing more and more how toxic social media in general is for me, and I also realize how much I miss longer form online communications like forums.  It's a vicious habit to break, but I'm really hoping to spend more of my energy in places like this again going forward.  

:)

• Like 4

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssss!

He's back... I look forward to seeing your lifts, your progress, and you cardio!  (My ruck has recently been getting some mileage after being relegated to EDC and travel for..... a long while.)

Hey mate, good to see you back on here again.

I'm having my first go at Wendler's 5/3/1 as well (the Beginner variation from his book) so I'll be really interested to read on how you do yours, and what accessory exercises you choose to complement the main lifts.

Good luck with the challenge!

So I’m out of town this week, but before I left on Monday night I doubled up my strength session, hitting both press and squats.

PRESS

165 x 5

165 x 5

165 x  8 

SQUAT

240 x 5

240 x 5

240 x  8 

And then for conditioning, I did the classic CF WOD, “The Chief”

Five 3-minute rounds, with a 1-minute rest between them.

Each 3-minute round is itself an AMRAP, cycling through:

3 power cleans with 135

6 pushups

9 air squats

I deliberately held a tiny back and paced myself this week, doing exactly 3 rounds a, um, round.  Not that I’ve ever crushed this WOD before.  It always wrecks me.  But I started thinking, it may be a good one to repeat more often, because it’s actually brilliant programming, probably some of the best CF ever created.  But by not doing the CF ALL-INTENSITY-ALL-THE-TIME and rather pacing it systematically, I think it could be a good workout to deliberately progress on.  I’ll hit it again in the next couple weeks, pacing myself to hit 3 rounds PLUS the 3 cleans from round 4 each time.  And a couple weeks later, 3 rounds plus the cleans AND pushups of round 4.  And so on.

One of my training partners and I have a theory that by taking a handful of WODs and repeating them more frequently over 2-3 months, and then cycling in a fresh batch of WODs for the next few months, one can get most of the same benefits as the “constantly varied” model.

I’m gonna experiment with it.  Batman is a scientist too, after all.  

;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AgentsSka said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssss!

He's back... I look forward to seeing your lifts, your progress, and you cardio!  (My ruck has recently been getting some mileage after being relegated to EDC and travel for..... a long while.)

I had used my GR first for rucking, and then for EDC, and then cycled it out completely from my lineup so when I got back to wanting to ruck, I’ve had to go out and buy a new one!  But, got a Rucker this time (I’ve got (way too many) other EDC anyway now).  But it’s nice to come full circle!  :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

Hey mate, good to see you back on here again.

I'm having my first go at Wendler's 5/3/1 as well (the Beginner variation from his book) so I'll be really interested to read on how you do yours, and what accessory exercises you choose to complement the main lifts.

Good luck with the challenge!

you got this bud!  Can’t wait to see why you accomplish!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Knightwatch said:

I had used my GR first for rucking, and then for EDC, and then cycled it out completely from my lineup so when I got back to wanting to ruck, I’ve had to go out and buy a new one!  But, got a Rucker this time (I’ve got (way too many) other EDC anyway now).  But it’s nice to come full circle!  :D

I have my original GR0 which has been my EDC and weekend travel bag for years.  Since the world has stopped it has gone back to hauling bricks around.  It is my only EDC bag.  You have more bags for EDC??

I also have a GR2 as my main travel bag.

But, those are my only two bags - not including my backpacking pack and hydration things...

24 minutes ago, AgentsSka said:

I have my original GR0 which has been my EDC and weekend travel bag for years.  Since the world has stopped it has gone back to hauling bricks around.  It is my only EDC bag.  You have more bags for EDC??

I also have a GR2 as my main travel bag.

But, those are my only two bags - not including my backpacking pack and hydration things...

Oh gosh, waaaaaayyyyyy too many.  Like it’s almost a problem, and by almost a problem I mean it’s definitely a problem.  😁

EDC just kinda became my “thing” for a while, a weird hobby.  But yeah.  My favorites currently are a couple backpacks by Triple Aught Design, and one by Alpha One Niner.  But there are piles that I actually wanna sell on pack/bag forums and groups as part of my decluttering.

I just like to think of it as all the Ironman suits lined up in the lab, y’know?  :P

• Like 1

OK, as I mentioned, I’m out of town for a few days, but I have kettlebells and a sandbag.  So, got in a workout today that’ll definitely count towards a conditioning session.

5 rounds of:

5 KB swings

5 pushups

10 KB swings

5 pushups

15 KB swings

5 pushups

5 KB swings

5 rows

10 KB swings

5 rows

15 KB swings

5 rows

So, you end with 300 swings, and 75 each of pushups and rows during your “rest”.

Not meant to be an all-out effort WOD for time,  just done at a nice and brisk pace, but few free to shake out the arms and legs and walk around a bit and take breaths between movements as needed.

Whew, glad that’s done! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Knightwatch said:

5 rounds of:

5 KB swings

5 pushups

10 KB swings

5 pushups

15 KB swings

5 pushups

5 KB swings

5 rows

10 KB swings

5 rows

15 KB swings

5 rows

So, you end with 300 swings, and 75 each of pushups and rows during your “rest”.

Yowzer 🤯

On 8/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, Cheetah said:

Nice goals!  Happy challenge!

Thank you!!  Had to take a couple days off while I traveled back home, but now I'm getting back to it!  Happy Challenging to you as well!

Alright then, back on task.  Came home late Friday night, and took the weekend for some golf (um, keeping up the image on the philanthropist billionaire playboy, y'see) and resettling and, well, promptly putting back on 3 or 4 pounds.  Haha, oops.  But that's OK, I since mostly lost it again over the last couple days, putting be back to roughly 2 pounds down towards my goal.

Yesterday I hit the press again as my primary movement.  

PRESS

167.5 x 5

167.5 x 5

167.5 x  9 

PULLUP CLUSTERS (alternated sets with press)

1 rep

1-2- reps

2-2- reps

1-2-3 reps

1-2-3 reps

1-2-3 reps

POWER CLEANS

135 x 5

155 x 3

175 x 3

185 x 3

185 x 3

DELT AND ARM CIRCUIT

3 rounds of:

10 alternating DB curls

10 pressdowns

10 lat raises

• Like 2

Today was Squat day!

BACK SQUAT

245 x 5

245 x 5

245 x  9 

ONE LEG RDL

20's x 8 per leg

20's x 8 per leg

20's x 8 per leg

HEELS ELEVATED GOBLET SQUAT

80 x 10

80 x 10

PULLUPS

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit a little direct back work, and get in a conditioning session, which I haven't done yet this week!

Also on the agenda is making some headway with my apartment decluttering.  Perhaps a before and after pic will keep me motivated there?  One thing that I did get to on that front upon coming back home was a big ol' fridge purge.  It was tough to get going on it but SO.DAMN.SATISFYING once done.  I'm so much more inspired to work out of it now, making up healthier meals and snacks.

cGcuME-pM16uxaGNFP9EvNo1ba5wcxRwltXKKfkJ

• Like 4

Google's a bit touchy about permissions, so I'm not sure your photo loaded for most people. 

Also jsyk you're my conditioning inspo. I still don't do it, but I feel inspired.

35 minutes ago, raptron said:

Google's a bit touchy about permissions, so I'm not sure your photo loaded for most people. 

Does not load for me.

I love purging the fridge!  Sometimes I intentionally leave stuff in there for a while so I can do it all at once later.

I might have issues.