Flea knows something you don’t know

fleaball

Specifically, everything related to my challenge! The gremlins get feisty when I tell people what I’m doing, or when I tell people I’ve done something even if I don’t say what it is. So this time, I’m not telling anyone anything. We’ll see if it works. If I do something that’s not challenge-related but I still want a cookie for, I’ll share it. Like if I don’t make yoga a goal but I do a yoga video anyway, y’all will know because I crave attention. 

Could I pull this off in a battle log instead of here? Probably. But I feel so much less engaged when I’m not in a challenge forum. Brains are weird like that. So sit back, grab a beverage, and prepare to be inundated with a lot of random shit that has nothing to do with my challenge. Also lots of bitching about shitty family and shitty mental health, so consider that a warning. 

I couldn’t find any secret-related gifs that I liked, so boo on the Internet. Maybe when I’m not on mobile I’ll start posting cat gifs. No promises. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I googled "Cat with a Secret Gif" This is the first result that wasn't from the secret life of pets:
cat-goes-to-their-secret-lair

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

source.gif

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Be very sneaky - Find and Share Funny Animated Gifs

Okay sneaking isn't the same as a secret lol but look at the little floof :D 

omg, that much cute should be illegal! 

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Reason #8383772957 I bought my own kitchenware: my father just pulled a bowl out of a cabinet and there was a wormy insect baby thing in it. Apparently the same thing happened to my brother last night. I’m guessing it’s a baby meal moth since we have a shit ton of those considering no one fucking cleans out cabinets or anything. But fucking ugh. This is not normal. I hate these people. 

edit: not sure which is grosser - bug in the bowl, or the fact that my father washed it out, used it to bread raw haddock, and then just rinsed it, without soap, before putting it in the dish strainer thing and calling it clean. 🤢

• Confused 1
  • Wow 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I realized one of the reasons I'm stressing out over fixing this whole diabetes thing is that my stupid all or nothing brain has decided that I can never eat anything with carbs again. Which is objectively false. But part of me is panicking because pasta and baked potatoes are my relatively quick and easy go-to foods, both usually with peas or corn, and that's a whole lot of starchy shit in one go. And I've just started getting back in the habit of turning to fruit for snacks instead of other junk, but whoops that's a lot of sugar. Easy, obvious solutions include switching to broccoli or something else for my pasta (which is already whole wheat), sweet potatoes instead of white, having some peanut butter or nuts with my apple. But despite the obvious swaps, the gremlins are chattering. And beans are hella starchy so there's panic there because oh noes, how will I get more protein and bulk up my meals without them??? There is so fucking much happening at once here. Trying to manage fear of grocery shopping plus fear of cooking/preparing food AND trying to figure out nutritious meals that will also not fuck up my blood sugar or digestive system is just... a lot. I know I'm over complicating it and I know that just switching to any kind of healthier eating will start to fix my problems. But gremlins. 

• Like 11

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

OKay first

the_magicians_avada_kedavra.gif

Secondly.. I was about to ask HOW your dad was still alive from eating and living like that, but then I realized hes been doing it forever, so his immunity to stuff like food poisoning has to be super high. Sadly.

Third - The food thing. You have stumbled on one of my most nagging questions. I can't eat nuts, but all the healthy non-meat protein snacks are... nuts. I don't have an answer, but I am with you in solidarity and understanding that fooding is hard and we all just need to become photosynthetic.

• Like 6

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

3 hours ago, fleaball said:

I realized one of the reasons I'm stressing out over fixing this whole diabetes thing is that my stupid all or nothing brain has decided that I can never eat anything with carbs again. Which is objectively false. But part of me is panicking because pasta and baked potatoes are my relatively quick and easy go-to foods, both usually with peas or corn, and that's a whole lot of starchy shit in one go. And I've just started getting back in the habit of turning to fruit for snacks instead of other junk, but whoops that's a lot of sugar. Easy, obvious solutions include switching to broccoli or something else for my pasta (which is already whole wheat), sweet potatoes instead of white, having some peanut butter or nuts with my apple. But despite the obvious swaps, the gremlins are chattering. And beans are hella starchy so there's panic there because oh noes, how will I get more protein and bulk up my meals without them??? There is so fucking much happening at once here. Trying to manage fear of grocery shopping plus fear of cooking/preparing food AND trying to figure out nutritious meals that will also not fuck up my blood sugar or digestive system is just... a lot. I know I'm over complicating it and I know that just switching to any kind of healthier eating will start to fix my problems. But gremlins. 

Hugs friend. It's tough.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

OKay first

the_magicians_avada_kedavra.gif

Eliot!! Definitely my favorite character. 

Secondly.. I was about to ask HOW your dad was still alive from eating and living like that, but then I realized hes been doing it forever, so his immunity to stuff like food poisoning has to be super high. Sadly.

Before my mother got sick she was the one in charge of doing dishes and he didn't do jack shit "because [he] worked all day." So it wasn't a concern for most of his life. But since then, yeah I have no fucking clue. Between this and all the stupid shit he's done over the years I don't know how the fuck he's still alive at all.

Third - The food thing. You have stumbled on one of my most nagging questions. I can't eat nuts, but all the healthy non-meat protein snacks are... nuts. I don't have an answer, but I am with you in solidarity and understanding that fooding is hard and we all just need to become photosynthetic.

holy shit yes please photosynthesis. Can you do beans/legumes? I see crunchy (baked or roasted?) chickpeas suggested as snacks a lot of times. Personally I hate them but it might be something that works for you?

23 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hugs friend. It's tough.

Cheers. I'll figure it out eventually.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

barf. I have a Thug Kitchen cookbook that's all about fast, easy meals. Once upon a time I put tabs on a bunch of the recipes I eventually wanted to try. I was going to start just plugging some of the recipes into cronometer and mfp just so they'd be loaded there in the future. Gives me something to do right now and also maybe desensitizes me to scary recipes? Except it was a great plan in theory but right now I'm freaking out at the thought of it. 

guess I'll just watch Food Network reruns for now instead.

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

18 hours ago, fleaball said:

prepare to be inundated with a lot of random shit that has nothing to do with my challenge. Also lots of bitching about shitty family and shitty mental health

So basically a regular challenge then?

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I tried a few meal kits and enjoyed them. They come with recipes and ingredient lists so I can recreate them on my own later, which I have done. They are also for full meals so sides were included. I was (and honestly still am) overwhelmed trying to create a full meal on my own.

• Like 2
Just now, WhiteGhost said:

So basically a regular challenge then?

shhhhh. 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

6 minutes ago, Emma said:

I tried a few meal kits and enjoyed them. They come with recipes and ingredient lists so I can recreate them on my own later, which I have done. They are also for full meals so sides were included. I was (and honestly still am) overwhelmed trying to create a full meal on my own.

I've looked into a couple, but there aren't a lot of vegan options. Of the vegan options, a lot of the meals are a little to out there for me right now. And definitely too far out there for Thing 1 and Thing 2, who would harass me forever about them. I'm keeping them as a possibility for the future - get less uncomfortable in the kitchen, branch out a little and maybe try a service for a month or something to see what other things I like without buying and wasting a ton of ingredients on my own.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Forgot that you are vegan. Is very, very difficult to get enough protein as a vegan (or vegetarian) and still keep your blood sugar under control. As you noticed beans are high carb. Good luck. Can you talk to a nutritionist about vegan for diabetes?

• Like 2

I have no idea in the ways of Vegan, but I did a quick look for some diabetes friendly vegan recipes. I saw this site https://diabetesstrong.com/low-carb-vegan-recipes/ I have also seen some recipes in the keto world like making a cauliflower "mac'n cheese" I don't know how easy it is to do with a vegan cheese substitute or anything though. Same with like some potato salad recipes I have seen. Some using radish or cauliflower. Though, these might be too freaky for the others in the household. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Emma said:

Forgot that you are vegan. Is very, very difficult to get enough protein as a vegan (or vegetarian) and still keep your blood sugar under control. As you noticed beans are high carb. Good luck. Can you talk to a nutritionist about vegan for diabetes?

I actually saw one last year while prediabetic. She wasn't terribly concerned and just said to sort of watch my portions of starchy things/beans etc and try swapping things out - quinoa for rice and whatnot. It's going to take some playing around to see how I can get my macros to balance out. 

(also, not actually vegan yet. just perpetually trying to get there. but admittedly, dairy doesn't like me very much so at the very least I shouldn't be eating that.)

14 minutes ago, Tateman said:

I have no idea in the ways of Vegan, but I did a quick look for some diabetes friendly vegan recipes. I saw this site https://diabetesstrong.com/low-carb-vegan-recipes/ I have also seen some recipes in the keto world like making a cauliflower "mac'n cheese" I don't know how easy it is to do with a vegan cheese substitute or anything though. Same with like some potato salad recipes I have seen. Some using radish or cauliflower. Though, these might be too freaky for the others in the household. 

I've seen vegan sauces with cauliflower as well. The other popular one is soaking cashews overnight so they get soft and then running them through a food processor, which I don't have. And our blender is disgusting because my father is the one who uses it... see above for how well he washes dishes. :rolleyes: I'll check out that site when my anxiety isn't bonkers; thanks for sharing!

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I have been thinking about getting this mini food processor https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/food_processors/dlc-2a $40 small enough you can just probably keep it in your room or something haha :) Pretty sure I have seen then a Target too. I've seen a couple of Keto youtube channels use them when making some recipes. I figure it would be easier to use the the full size one if I am just making enough for me.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tateman said:

I have been thinking about getting this mini food processor https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/food_processors/dlc-2a $40 small enough you can just probably keep it in your room or something haha :) Pretty sure I have seen then a Target too. I've seen a couple of Keto youtube channels use them when making some recipes. I figure it would be easier to use the the full size one if I am just making enough for me.

With back to school sales now (although... why?) I’ve been thinking about getting one or a small blender or something. I’m just not sure if I want to deal with it tbh. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 minutes ago, fleaball said:

With back to school sales now (although... why?) I’ve been thinking about getting one or a small blender or something. I’m just not sure if I want to deal with it tbh. 

Wife and I was at walmart the other day. We were like Hey look, it's back to school stuff. I joked that we would get a backpack and stuff. Then I would wake up the kid and get him ready. Then we walk to the car, then walk right back in the apartment. :)  At least in our area, it is looking like the first 3rd of school will be from home for sure. There might be some option in the school year to have some kids go to class. It all depends on the numbers I guess at that time.

• Like 3

Help, I've fallen down a youtube rabbit hole of Irish music again. Currently kicking myself because there was at least one school in Ireland that had the grad program I wanted and I don't even remember why I didn't look into it. bah.

• Like 8

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

6 hours ago, fleaball said:

Help, I've fallen down a youtube rabbit hole of Irish music again. Currently kicking myself because there was at least one school in Ireland that had the grad program I wanted and I don't even remember why I didn't look into it. bah.

WHAT DID YOU FIND? I accidentally stumbled upon The O'Reillys and The Paddyhats and I've been all about that (though, probably not the same kind of Irish music - also, I think the band is actually German).

Re: Beans and Diabetes - Don't get fixated on not being able to eat them until you try them. Even the American Diabetes Association advise to eat them (yeah, they are carbs, but they have a lot of fiber, and don't generally raise blood sugar the same way other carbs do). So don't go into an "omg, what can I eat?!" panic until you try and see what they do to your blood sugar. Beans should realistically be fine. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, fleaball said:

giphy.gif

I feel this post SO MUCH - you have no idea..... I'm great at suggesting stuff for others - but not following through myself - ya know? It's why I'm trying a delivery service.....

• Like 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1