Bigm's Summer of Smolov Squats

Yesterday I didn't know what an abacus was called in English. We're all learning. In dutch we call it a counting window (telraam), which is very odd right? 

2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

the session was good

Glad the work frustration at least didn't ruin the squats. Hope you came back home in a better (or at least less angry) mood! 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

3 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yesterday I didn't know what an abacus was called in English. We're all learning. In dutch we call it a counting window (telraam), which is very odd right? 

Not at all, in Sweden they are a kulram.

Which roughly translates into marble"/orb/sphere frame", so "counting window" makes perfect sense to me. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

Week 1 Day 5:

Today I am tired. It was a long evening in the lab yesterday and I returned home around 730pm. I cooked a meager dinner and my fridge is basically empty at this point. I didn't get groceries over the weekend and I haven't been motivated to go after work. I ran out of the bulk of my veggies last night so the only carbs in my house right now is a bag of powdered sugar >.> I take that back, I do have oats and rice, but ain't nobody got time to cook that.

Breakfast was protein heavy but not a of carbs to fuel my lifts. So much for eating all the things. At least it was clean eating and not junk food? I did my squats this morning, see below. I've got a couple of hours to clean up and get ready to head into the office again and I am fighting the urge to nap first.

Smolov Base Week 2 Day 3:

• Squat - 7x5@ 245lbs
    • These were not terrrrrrible, but not great either. I definitely left exhausted and under fed. I got into the groove around set 3 but by the last set I was running on empty and my adrenaline had burned off. I'm glad I have tomorrow as a rest day. And I don't have to go into the office, so I plan to sleep in and putz around the house in PJs all day. 

Bright side though is I have finished my Daily Dips (6 total) in one set. I still need to do pull-ups throughout the day.

Other random Notes:

I've got a week and a half until the switching phase of Smolov so I have started planning what I can do for that. The normal program has stuff like power cleans, box squats and squat negatives but I am limited in what I can do. The intention of the two week break is to focus on explosive and plyometric maneuvers to overcome sticking points. I am leaning towards tempo front and back squats, with some hang power cleans. I should crack open some of my olympic training books for ideas. I also want to work on some unilateral leg work. I found some front rack split squats which look horrible enough to work on for two weeks. So far it will look like this: 

• Tempo front squats
    • 3 second down, 3 second hold, explode up.
    • Thinking around 155-185lbs range for sets of 3-4
  • Hang/high-hang power cleans
    • I haven't done these in years so probably sets of 4-6 at 135-155lbs?
    • Might do some paused positional work off the ground
  • Front Rack Split squats
    • less than 100lbs, sets of 8
  • Cool down will be weighted good mornings

It's hard not to throw in some deadlift work during this two week break, but the program calls for not doing DLs because reasons. Boooo.

• Like 4

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

7 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Today I am tired. It was a long evening in the lab yesterday and I returned home around 730pm. I cooked a meager dinner and my fridge is basically empty at this point. I didn't get groceries over the weekend and I haven't been motivated to go after work. I ran out of the bulk of my veggies last night so the only carbs in my house right now is a bag of powdered sugar >.> 

I refuse to believe that. Alcohol is a carbohydrate. Also possibly the only one of them that is worse for your squatting prowess than powdered sugar...

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

Alcohol is actually an alcohol. It's its own macro category and does not even break down into sugars, contrary to common belief! (Does someone maybe recreationally read too many papers about alcohol metabolism...? 👀

22 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

• Squat - 7x5@ 245lbs
    • These were not terrrrrrible, but not great either. I definitely left exhausted and under fed. I got into the groove around set 3 but by the last set I was running on empty and my adrenaline had burned off. I'm glad I have tomorrow as a rest day. And I don't have to go into the office, so I plan to sleep in and putz around the house in PJs all day. 

I am so glad I didn't do this program with you, lol.

• Tempo front squats
    • 3 second down, 3 second hold, explode up.

Ahahahah, why do you hate yourself so much?

It's hard not to throw in some deadlift work during this two week break, but the program calls for not doing DLs because reasons. Boooo.

Booooo.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

9 minutes ago, raptron said:

Alcohol is actually an alcohol. It's its own macro category and does not even break down into sugars, contrary to common belief! (Does someone maybe recreationally read too many papers about alcohol metabolism...? 👀

Someone also needs to recalibrate their sarcasm detector ;) 

Alcohol is far too complex to oversimplify for nutrition purposes, I think, because there is a number of non-nutrition factors to consider. The social aspects, for one, or the pleasures of good wine with good food, and so on. :) 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, raptron said:

I am so glad I didn't do this program with you, lol.

Are you sure? Because the fun is just getting started! You can join in at any time ya know :)

On 8/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, raptron said:

Ahahahah, why do you hate yourself so much?

If I am going to hate my body I might as well hate it with everything I got.

Week 1 Day 6:

Okay, so on rest day Friday, I went into the lab for a couple of hours, left at 4pm which isn't too bad. Afterwards I ran errands. Picked up groceries (finally) and wen to the hardware store to pick up some snap ring pliers and 3-in-1 oil. I am going to strip, clean, and re-oil my barbell on Sunday. I've had it for 7 or 8 years now and haven't ever taken it apart. It doesn't spin nearly as well as I want it to, especially if I plan to do power cleans in a couple of weeks. 

I did manage a cardio session before going into work so I can check that off my weekly list. It was supposed to be a low intensity ride with a steady cadence but it was hard not to drop into high gear and imagine grinding up hills, especially when this starts playing on my workout playlist Details below:

• Cardio - Bike ride on the Trainer
    • 300 calorie ride, 21 minutes, 137 average HR.

I did get in my pullups (7 total in 2 sets of 3 and 4) and dips (red band still, one set of 7) after the errands. Rest of the day was spent installing my GPU card into my PC, booting it up (everything works!) and installing Linux. Still a lot more to do to get the new computer up and running. You can see its prettiness in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

So pretty!

image.png.7370624e729318a6adce5b2923c7b49b.png

Week 1 Day 7:

Saturday! That means a relaxing day at home right! Nope, went into the lab again to check on some things in the morning. But that was it. It's heavy squat day when I returned home:

Smolov Base Week 2 Day 4:

• Squat - 10x3@260lbs
    • These were mostly fine, just took a while. On set 7 I lost concentration and ended up pancaking on the last rep. Closest I've been to bailing on a squat in years. Other than that I continue to be fine with low rep workouts. I dread Monday though.

Accessories:

Since my plans for an easy Friday got messed up, after squats I did some bro curls and shoulder accessory superset for dat pump.

• BB Curls - 3x8@ 45bls
    • These were tempo'd, where I had a 1 sec pause at the bottom (to negate using stretch reflex), 1 sec at the top and 1 sec at 90deg.
  • Banded face pulls with external rotation - 3x8 with red band
    • It looks like this and feels great on my gritty shoulders. Highly recommend it if you need a good pre-hab warm up before going overhead.

So that's week 1 in the bag! Here's how I've done

• Follow Smolov - ✅✅✅✅
  • No Booze on days before Squatting - ✅✅✅✅
    • Was sober all week. Helps not to have booze in the house
  • Eat better but eat all the things-  ✅✅✅❌❌❌✅
    • Wed and Thurs I definitely didn't eat all the things, Friday I picked up groceries but stopped and grabbed gyro meat combo platters. Not bad, and a loooot of food so it gets a red x.
  • Cardio and Accessories
    • 1 30-45 bike session a week - ✅ I'm counting it because even though it was only 20 min, my legs got a workout
    • 2 bro session a week - ✅✅ Done. I benched/curled one day, and benched face pull/rotation thingy the other.

All told not bad. Need to get better at scheduling my time for non Smolov workouts. But at least my main goal is going great so far.

• Like 7

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

19 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I did get in my pullups (7 total in 2 sets of 3 and 4) and dips (red band still, one set of 7) after the errands. Rest of the day was spent installing my GPU card into my PC, booting it up (everything works!) and installing Linux. Still a lot more to do to get the new computer up and running. You can see its prettiness in the spoiler below.

Gorgeous! Which Linux, and did it come with NVMe drivers?

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Gorgeous! Which Linux, and did it come with NVMe drivers?

The latest Ubuntu as a base (I'll dual boot with Windows, and run VMs of Kali at times). Definitely had working NVMe drivers since the only hard drive I have is a M.2 NVMe SSD. Honestly it was almost toooo easy to set up. Didn't have to compile drivers or spend hours troubleshooting incompatible hardware issues. Kids these days have it too easy.

4 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

The latest Ubuntu as a base (I'll dual boot with Windows, and run VMs of Kali at times). Definitely had working NVMe drivers since the only hard drive I have is a M.2 NVMe SSD. Honestly it was almost toooo easy to set up. Didn't have to compile drivers or spend hours troubleshooting incompatible hardware issues. Kids these days have it too easy.

Very nice! I've been wanting to play around with Linux again for a while, and am slowly accumulating parts for a low key system. Oneof them is an NVMe SSD, so that's good to know.

Last time I played with Ubuntu I did have to spend hours compiling drivers and the video card never did start working properly. Sounds like things have gotten a bit better since then. :)

5 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Barbell maintenance update: it spins like it's brand new! I never realized how bad it was until I cleaned it. Here's a (potato quality) video showing before and after for you all:

Man, those gloves really make the end of the barbell spin better.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Barbell maintenance update: it spins like it's brand new! I never realized how bad it was until I cleaned it. Here's a (potato quality) video showing before and after for you all:

Which bar is it?

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

51 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Man, those gloves really make the end of the barbell spin better.

It's all about the accessories.

44 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

I'm ashamed of my barbell now... 😥

Show a little love to your barbell and she'll treat you right. Took all of 20 minutes and was way easy to do.

25 minutes ago, AgentsSka said:

Which bar is it?

Pendlay 20kg bushing bar circa 2013. Nothing fancy but she's mine :)

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 1:

Full on lazy ass rest day. I did my pullups and dips, cleaned my barbell, but otherwise, puttered around the home. My body needed it.

Week 2 Day 2:

Rest day is over! Back to the grind.

Smolov Base Week 3 Day1:

• 4x9@225lbs
    • So remember way back when a week ago, the last time I did sets of 9, I was basically a whiny bitch and ached all over? Yeah? Well, shockingly, that did not happen this time. WHAT IS HAPPENING. Does my body like volume now? Seriously this wasn't bad. I was dreading doing this all morning and after the first set I was confused if I had misloaded the bar, but nope. The one thing that I did change from last week is that instead of 3 minutes of rest, I set my timer for 5 minutes. It definitely helped, but I don't know by how much since after 3 minutes I was ready to get back under the bar.
    • All that said, this was the last 9s week ever! Muahahahaha. So happy to be done with that. 3 more workouts this week to conquer, then rest half of next week and then test my 1RM to set the numbers for the Intense cycle.

Other stuff:

• Pullups (accumulate 10 reps) - 5,5
    • Not bad, the 5th rep of the second set was a grindy-barely-should-have-counted kind of rep.
  • Ring dips (accumulate 10 reps) - 10 (red band)
    • Since I hit a full set of 10 reps I am going to reduce my assistance band tomorrow. So orange band to be used instead of red.
  • Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, AgentsSka said:

Seems to spin a ton for a bushing bar!

Good machining, good bushings, and a good coat of lubricant and it sure does.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Until you lose your mind and run Smolov again?

No lie, I was trying to figure out if I could program Smolov Jr for all my lifts because I am liking this volume stuff. I briefly contemplated trying to find a straight up bodybuilding routine as well because Dat Pump(TM)

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh.. bar maintenance.. I should do that. Did you use instructions? 

You should! Your members will appreciate the effort :) I looked up a few videos on how to disassemble my bar. Rogue has a good one. Also, if you are doing a lot of bars I recommend getting a wire brush attachement for a cordless drill like Alan Thrall shows in his maintenance video. It's better than having to scrub off all the chalk by hand.

Week 2 Day 3:

It was a rest day, but a terrible rest day. I was exhausted when waking up, exhausted going into work, exhausted coming home. I definitely didn't eat enough during the day and that was probably the cause of my exhaustion. I crawled into bed at like 830pm to try and catch up on the Zzzzs. I did manage to do my daily pullups and dips, so at least it was somewhat productive.

Week 2 Day 4:

Squat day again! After last night, I woke up only mildly rested. I was not looking forward to squatting at all when I got up. But I don't have a choice now do I? Squats don't care how you feel.

Smolov Base Week 3 Day 2:

• 5x7 @ 240lbs
    • Took my sweet time warming up and geting under the bar, my heart wasn't ready to commit to this shit. But I went ahead and did it, and after the first set I got into a good groove and the session overall was good.
    • Knees are pretty much okay now which I am so thankful for. I guess I just needed to be consistent for them to stop being creaky and achy all the time.

Afterwards, I cleaned up and went into work. Had a review meeting and it went okay but I was drained after. Came home and batch cooked some chicken for the rest of the week so I can remember to eat more foods. I've got one more day in the office this week, then might take a day off to recuperate. Might. Which means I probably won't

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Take the damn day off! 
thanks for the link, definitely going to do that asap.

10 hours ago, bigm141414 said:
  • Took my sweet time warming up and geting under the bar, my heart wasn't ready to commit to this shit. But I went ahead and did it, and after the first set I got into a good groove and the session overall was good.

Love the power of just getting started :) or maybe the power of real commitment to a crazy program 😛 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Week 2 Day 5:

Moar squats! These felt heavy today. The DOMS from yesterday made my legs feel like lead. I have been eating more so at least I am not low on energy anymore.

Smolov Base Week 3 Day 3:

• 7x5 @ 255lbs
    • I did one extra rep at the very end because (7x5 x 255) + 255 = 9,180lbs of squats so my workout total was OVER 9000!!!!!!
      • Okay, I'm a dork. I'll see myself out now.

Pullups/Dips

• Pullups (accumulate 13) - 5, 5, 3
  • Dips (accumulate 13, orange band) - 8, 5
    • Not going to lie, I am starting to get some nice shoulder definition. I can see a deltoid line if I flex realllllly hard, and turn just the right way in the mirror. Vanity FTW.

Today is going to be a scorcher, 102F. Which means it's a perfect time to go for a bike ride to get my cardio in. So that's the plan today since I do not have to go into work. Also need to get in a bench session since I haven't done any of that this week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3