Bigm's Summer of Smolov Squats

bigm141414

On 8/13/2020 at 4:09 AM, KB Girl said:

maybe the power of real commitment to a crazy program

Since I spend so much time squatting it has given me time to wax philosophical about hard training programs. Running a program like this always reminds me that there is a large difference between motivation and discipline. Motivation inspires one to action, while discipline allows one to trudge on towards the ultimate goal.

I can tell you I am 100% not motivated at all anymore to squat so much. But I am disciplined enough to keep going because the end result is worth it.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

3 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I did one extra rep at the very end because (7x5 x 255) + 255 = 9,180lbs of squats so my workout total was OVER 9000!!!!!!

I, too, calculate the total weight moved during my work sets.... 

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

I like some philosophical waxing. The motivation honeymoon period should be used for learning and setting up habits, building discipline... 

but at our gym we always say, if you need motivation OR discipline to keep coming then we are doing something wrong.. it should be fun enough to bypass that need most of the time. 

19 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Okay, I'm a dork. I'll see myself out now.

Where else would you go? :D you’re in the right place :D 

image.gif.2c08be2e568ee84d72bb94d496dcc889.gif

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Okay so where did we leave off? Oh yes, whining and bitching about squats. Squats are dumb y'all.

Week 2 Day 6:

Today was a rest day so I got in a cardio bike session. Signed up for a 30 day free trial of the Peloton app so that I have someone to tell me what to do. Got in a high cadence low resistance 45 min session. Probably not the best idea for my legs to go that long. Other than that, I rested, I should have stretched more, did a meh session of benching, and I did my pullups and dips. My heart wasn't in it to lift today, but I needed to get in a non-squat lift in at some point since I hadn't done any at all this week.

• Bench - 3x8@135
    • Meh all around.
  • Pullups  (Accumulate 14) - 5,5,4
  • Dips (Accumulate 14, orange band) - 8,6

Week 2 Day 7:

Smolov Base Week 3 Day 4:

• 10x3@270
    • This was a long session. It was hot out in the garage and I set my timer to 4 minutes between sets to cool down. With warm ups it was over an hour of just squatting.
    • Took me about 3 sets to get in the groove. My legs were still achy from Thursdays session as well as the spin on the bike yesterday. But I did them and that means I am 100% done with the heavy lifting portion of the base cycle!!!
  • Pullups (accumulate 15) - 3,5,5,2
  • Dips (accumulate 15, orange band) - (8,7)

Okay so I finished the base cycle. Phew. That sucked. In those 3 weeks I moved just shy of 97,000 lbs worth of squats. Combine that with the 2 week intro phase and I am just over 118,000 lbs of squat  volume. Oof. That's a lot of squats. But luckily this coming week is rest and retest week. I get two shots (on Thursday and on Saturday) to set a new 1RM squat which will be used the calculate the weights for the Intense phase of the program. I used a sandbagged 295lbs 1RM at the beginning and I am aiming for minimum 315 with a stretch goal of 335. If I can get there that's only 50lbs (or 13%) off my all time best 1RM.

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

• Follow Smolov -
  • No Booze on days before Squatting -
    • Was sober all week until celebratory wine on Saturday evening for completing the base cycle
  • Eat better but eat all the things- 
    • Most days were good. I didn't eat enough on Saturday night because I subbed in liquid booze calories.
  • Cardio and Accessories
    • 1 30-45 bike session a week - yup. 45 minutes done. My legs weren't thanking me, but they've been bitchin all week so I've gotten good at ignoring them.
  • 2 bro session a week - Only did one benching bro session this week, but I have been keeping up with my pullups and dips. Next week will be better since I have more rest days.
  • Like 8

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hell yeah for being done with the base! 🎊

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So it's been a hot minute (emphasis on hot) since I updated this thread, but hey it's been a few restful days so not much has been happening. Summer continues to have one last tantrum in my area so it's been sweltering outside, which means inside as well. I have definitely been cranky and not sleeping well the last few days because of the heat. Stupid COVID is making summer suck; normally I don't spend this much time inside. Anyways, here's what Ive been doing:

Week 3 Day 1:

I had too much wine on Saturday night which left me in an unproductive state to start the week. It was also 103F outside which didn't help my sluggishness. Played a video game in the evening when things cooled off enough for me to turn on the PS4. Otherwise I puttered. I did get in my daily pullups and dips (total of 16 reps) but my heart wasn't in it.

Week 3 Day 2:

Monday is an official rest day per the program so I did my pullups (got a set of 6 in for the first time so now my max has gone from 4 to 6) and my dips, and stretched for ten minutes while having TV on in the background. Still hot outside so I waited until like 830pm to batch cook a bunch of chicken that I can eat during the week without cooking. Oh and I did some OHP and curls as well:

• OHP - 5x6,4.5@100lbs (couldn't finish the last set, it's been a while since I've pressed)
  • BB Curls - 3x8@55lbs
  • Stepups - 3x8 each leg, while holding a 25lbs plate

Week 3 Day 3:

On Tuesday I went into the office for a few hours in the morning. It was nice to feel AC again and cool off. I Got my pullups and dips in (18 total). I hit 10 dips in one set with the orange band so tomorrow I'll remove the assistance band entirely. That should be fun. Did another 10 minutes of dedicated stretching.

Week 3 Day 4:

Today was a mentally tough day. I didn't sleep well, I wasn't motivated at all by anything at work, it was hot. I got my pullups done (I got 2 sets of 6 reps this time) and my dips. The dips were disappointing. I did them without resistance and found out that ring dips are really really hard. I kept swaying all over the place which limited the amount of reps I could do in a set. I tried to push past it but I ended up tweaking my left shoulder and now it's not happy with me. I still have range of motion but it is a bit gritty and feels more like a strain instead of a tear. I'll take it easy the rest of the day and see how it feels tomorrow.

Week 3 Day 5:

Smolov Base Week 4 Day 3:

This is the first of two 1RM test days this week. I slept decent last night and was feeling pretty okay when I returned home from work in the afternoon. I ate a little fruit and some nuts, had a drink of water, and got down to business. 

Warm-up:

• 2x8@45lbs (first set flat footed, second set with my shoes on)
  • 5@135
  • 3@225
  • 2x2@275

I was still feeling a bit creaky after the warmup so I took some time to stretch and warm up my knees and hips a bit more, banded distractions, that sort of thing.

1 Rep Max Test:

I was aiming for 3-4 attempts since I still have day 2 on Saturday. Here's how it went:

• Opener - 295lbs
    • I opened with what I used as my 1RM at hte beginning of the program. I wasn't tight enough going down because for some reason my head wasn't focused just yet. But I still got it.
  • 1st real Attempt - 315lbs
    • So this was about an RPE 8 lift. I did better at bracing myself and coming out of the hole wasn't too bad, only stalled for like a quarter of a second on the way up. Knees were okay.
  • 2nd Real Attempt - 325lbs
    • This was an RPE 9 lift. I was slow getting out of the hole, the bar shift forward as I started to pancake, but I was able to recover enough to count the lift.
    • After this was done,  I waffled if I really wanted to do another attempt, but I decided to do it anyways, figuring if I failed I had Saturday to hit my stretch goal.
  • 3rd Real Attempt - 335lbs
    • This was definitely an RPE 10 lift. My form broke down more than it did at 325, I had visibly shaky knees on the way up and I felt my trunk start to give. But hey, I did it in the end. 1 rep maxes are supposed to be tough, yeah?
    • This is the most I've squatted since early 2016? So it's nice to these types of numbers again. And beltless too!

Okay so that's day one! I think on Saturday I am going to break out the lifting belt and try it with that to see how far off my all time max I really am. I plan to use 335 as my new max since I am running smolov without a belt right now.

Also, I recorded my real attempts for proof. A warning though: it's still hot and I am in a tank and short shorts, so be prepared if you look within the spoilers.  You've been warned.

Spoiler

• Like 6

Those shorts make your quads look enormous. Seriously nice lifts! Especially the second still looks so solid, very nice.

i normally just read over the farenheit bits but since I was converting lbs anyway to properly appreciate the squats I also checked that temperature...... I am impressed you get anything at all done. Very impressed. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 AM, KB Girl said:

Those shorts make your quads look enormous

Hahah. I honestly wished I jumped on the short shorts train a while ago. I started wearing them because it was way too hot, but I am not going to lie, the vain part of me enjoys them too XD. Now I just need to install some mirror in my garage to really 'mire the bro pump.

Week 3 Day 6:

Today was a rest day. I basically did nothing. I tried doing some pullups and got 4 in. MY shoulder is still a bit tweaked so it's going to be a few more days before it's 100% again. I'll need to program some prehap-y shoulder stuff during the 2 week switching phase. Shoulder shockers and banded distractions FTW.

Stayed up late on Friday going down the youtube coffee rabbit hole. I miss a well made cup of coffee and I've decided to up my home game so I can stop drinking the sludge I have been. Well, okay, at least have one good cup of coffee in the morning before I switch to the sludge that I consume in order to function for work. I miss a good cup of coffee y'all.

The other thing that kept me up is the wildfires near me. I've been watching the fire line map pretty closely and monitoring the fire dept website for evac orders. The fire line right now is about 8 miles as the bird flies from my home and it is smokey as shit. So I spent some few minutes prepping a go bag and pulling out items to set aside in case I needed to jump in the car and go on short notice. Wooo!

Week 3 Day 7:

Good news nerds! The fire line didn't move over night and it's now 10% contained! So far I haven't had to evacuate the area but it's smokey as all heck this evening. Like I can't see more than 100 hundred yards outside. The bright side of this COVID thing is I have a small stock of N95 masks so at least I am not inhaling ash everytime I go outside.

Okay so let's get to the lifts. Today was the second shot at a 1RM attempt. Saturdays are also great days for long warms up and lifting at the optimal time (which for me is between noon and 2pm). During the warms ups my left quad felt sore, not like sore from the warm up, but sore after a muscle cramp. Which is weird. The warmup sets of squats didn't feel too bad so I figured I would just go with it. Not the smartest move for sure.

For today's attempt I broke out my lifting belt to truly see where I am compared to my all time best. I won't be using these numbers for the Intense phase of Smolov since I am running the program beltless. I also made a few minor tweaks to my setup. I moved my hands in a little so that I could really squeeze my back together and create a nice shelf for the bar as well as create a good tension in my chest to keep it elevated. I also placed the bar slightly higher up on my traps than last time. I am a high bar lifter and it was more comfrotable than Thursdays's attempts. On to the lifts!

Smolov Base Week 4 Day 4:

• Opener - 315lbs (143kg)
    • So this was like an RPE 6 or less lift. The difference between belted and beltless lifting is night and day.
  • 1st real attempt - 335lbs (152kg)
    • Oh this went sooooo much better today than on Thursday. RPE 7. And like a low 7. There's video below which we'll get to. I did hit the sticking point, but instead of collasping like Thursday, I shot up fast and bounced the bar off my delts. I love doing that with heavy weight. It's a bad habit I picked up when training weightlifting since we want to explode up more than powerlifters.
  • 2nd real attempt - 345lbs (156kg)
    • Again, this was an RPE 7 lift. No issues. No form problems. The sore left quad started being more insistent than it was previously.
  • 3rd real attempt - 355lbs (161kg)
    • Okay so. This lift. Started out as an RPE8-9 lift, and then my sore left quad decided to freak out half way down. I made the split second decision to stop the squat, not hit depth, and come back up. Everything else was fine and I totally could have it but I blame it on my weirdly sore quad. I'd be redlighted in a competition but I am counting it.

Overall a good 1RM day! 355lbs puts me 8% off of my all time best and puts me slightly above a 1.5x body weight squat. All good things. Afterwards I didn't do too much. Still resting my shoulder. Picked up some wine and beer to celebrate with this evening.

Lastly, here's the video of my belted attempts. I even got fancy for y'all and lined up my 335 beltless and belted attempts side by side so you all can see the difference in form. My trunk and back erectors are a weak spot so I am going to add in some more accessories during the next two week cycle to strengthen it up a bit. I want to get back to doing paused squats at 315 without a belt like I did back in the day.

Spoiler

• Like 6

355# looks like it would have been cake if your quad wasn't being so whiny! Belts are ❤️ 

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Hey hey nerds.

Last week was a wash. I lifted twice but it wasn't anything spectacular to write about. Motivation was pretty low due to switching from the afternoon shift at work to the morning shift at work. I made the switch because there were too many people in my lab in the afternoon and it was giving me anxiety. The downside is that I had to start waking up early again and forego my normal lunch time lifting.

On the bright side, I have a new piece of gym equipment to play with. It's a pulley system that I can attach to my rack to use for cable exercises: lat/tricep pulldowns, face pulls, seated rows, chest flys etc. I missed doing cable accessories in the gym and considering that my gyms aren't going to open/be safe for a while, it was a worth while investment.

Pic below:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6e2b691f24662154068d9b9be1700f4d.png

The less good news is that I am facing an injury right now. I woke up Sunday morning and my right ankle was tight. Tight like I had just run a bunch of miles and didn't stretch properly. I don't know how this happened since it was fine Saturday night when I went to bed. Anyways, I couldn't stretch it out and it got worse throughout the day. It's tender to touch and I can't put much weight on it. This morning it was a bit better, I could somewhat hobble along but I still can't flex it or put much weight on it. I am hoping it goes away before next week when I have to start up Smolov again. But at the moment I can't squat.

• Like 2

I hope your ankle gets better. I hear you on work schedule changes disrupting workout routine. I'm heavily dependent on routine to keep my workout consistency, and changes make it very difficult to stay consistent. 

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 8/31/2020 at 10:14 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope your ankle gets better.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:45 AM, Harriet said:

Get better. Ankles are surprisingly necessary for many things. 

Thanks y'all. Ankle is better this morning so far. I can put more weight on it and I've been able to slowly flex it without too much pain. It's no longer as tender so I was able to get a compression brace on it which has been helping.

Still crossing my fingers that it heals up enough this week to do workouts and stuff. Walking still is slow and lurching.

On 8/31/2020 at 10:14 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm heavily dependent on routine to keep my workout consistency, and changes make it very difficult to stay consistent. 

Truth. 

• Like 4

Random ankle issues are a big boo from me, dawg. Glad you seem to be on the mend.

Raptron, alot assassin

Okay so a quick challenge wrap up:

My ankle is still on the mend. It's been getting better over the last few days, mainly because I have been staying off of it. Who knew that resting an injury was the key to recovery? Anyways. I was supposed to start the intense cycle of Smolov during zero week (that means starting yesterday), but given the ankle issue I am going to take one more week off, then a week or two to repeat the intro phase, then hopefully my legs and ankle will be ready to go.

Only a slight delay to the original plan.

• Like 4

Smarrrt.

Raptron, alot assassin