Mr. CaffeineHead's 1st Challenge

First challenge of many to come. Here's the items on this docket:

1. Fitness: Perform a 3-second tempo squat for 1 set of 5 reps @ 215 lbs. Perform a regular squat for 1 set of 5 reps @ 225 lbs.

2. Nutrition: Drink 64 oz of water each day (I definitely could work on my water intake).

3. Lifestyle: Play a new song on the guitar each day.

4. Sleep: Lights out and gadgets off by 11:15 PM weekdays and 11:30 PM on weekends.

The plan is to keep my records in the battle log.

Getting ready to kick the tires and light the fires.

• Like 6

Battle Portfolio: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PL3kYqNLWMKwRQdlEpIhs4DJ7tLJFLl7?usp=sharing

"You shall gain, but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit, Comrade.- Pavel Tsatsouline

Welcome! Love the guitar challenge. What kind of music do you play?

Chapter 24: Theophilus Rings in the New Year with a K.I.S.S.

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25 [coming soon]

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

@theophilus Literally everything! I play by ear, so that’s everything from Eric Clapton, ELO, and Journey to 2Pac and Biggie to George Strait and Garth Brooks. I’ll also play themes like the old NFL Primetime song from ESPN. So, I’ve got a very large music base I’ll play to.

@Harriet @jegan Thanks y’all!

@cd667 Goal number 2 is going to be the hardest by far. The amount of restroom visits I had today really had me re-thinking that goal over lol.

• Like 1

Battle Portfolio: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PL3kYqNLWMKwRQdlEpIhs4DJ7tLJFLl7?usp=sharing

"You shall gain, but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit, Comrade.- Pavel Tsatsouline

5 hours ago, Captain-Bones said:

Makes me regret not starting my artistic quest this time.

Why not just do it?

I have one. I'm learning to read music, and make arrangements for the ukulele. I can play by ear, but I am missing any formal skills.

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

@Captain-Bones Yeah, I actually re-started playing about two years ago after almost a decade of not playing. I did lessons way back in the day, but just never really got into it. But, in recent years, I thought, "Man, it would be cool if I could play based off how the singer is singing the song."  I started playing that way, and initially was playing in the "Key of Crap" alot. But, eventually I started hitting the right notes and then the scales and patterns, and by that time, I was starting to put 2 and 2 together. And that's literally how I'm playing now. It's more lead/riff playing than it is strumming chords. I've contemplated making videos of how to play basic riffs that can be taught in 1-2 minutes tops, especially for those looking to play simple stuff. Basically, it's never too late to learn.

@scottbbb Actually electric--it's a Les Paul Junior. So for an electric, I'd say it looks about as close to an acoustic that an electric guitar can somewhat get haha.

@cd667 So far, so good. That water challenge is going to be interesting next week when I start having all-day meetings every day. Gonna have to think about my consumption plan lol.

• Like 3

2 Sept 20: Wrap-Up of First Challenge

Well, for the first time challenge, I have to say it went rather well. I managed to do a set of 5 reps on the squat at 275 lbs and a set of 5 reps on a 3-second tempo squat at 225 lbs. I'm pretty content with those numbers, especially since I'm almost 10 lbs lighter than what I was pre-'Rona. The water intake and lights out goals were more misses than hits, but honestly as long I saw progress in the gym, I was willing to let those slide a little. I think 32-45 oz of water daily would have been a more feasible goal. The guitar goal was accomplished, so that and the fitness goals were overall successful. Going forward, I will join the Warriors as they fight for strength gains. Now, I'm taking it easy before the weekend where I get to build a concrete patio and move a couple tons of cement bags around.