Zaphine's going back to basics

Zaphine

Hi, everybody!  Quick introduction -- My name's Zaphine, my big why is finding a healthy lifestyle that I truly enjoy, I'm just over 50, I work at a university in the US midwest, I have "dark mermaid" hair with about 7 different colors in it.  Currently watching my way through both ST:TNG and ST:Discovery, just finished reading the new Harry Dresden book.  I work with @spezzy sometimes, though I'm not very organized about it.  

So the past few months, I'd been cruising along, maybe not at HIGH rates of speed, doing pretty well .... and then life yelled "PLOT TWIST" and the wheels fell off the bus.  

I did my most recent challenge in the Druid forum, with a focus on walking, yoga, meditation, little bit of parkour and tai chi.  I enjoyed it, I had a pretty good routine.  But in the past two weeks, I've had two significant changes in my life:

1. I adopted two kittens (Merry & Pippin, at your service)
  2. I got unexpectedly called back into the office part time, so that I'm now working on site most mornings for the foreseeable future.  

The combination of these two things has seriously thrown me off my stride.  So this challenge cycle has got to be about regaining my foundation, finding my footing and balance, organizing life to lower my stress level and feel pretty good about my life.  In addition, I'm going to continue trying to set myself up for a good Fall/Winter in a very unusual year.  No huge goals, just life changing stuff.  

To that end, during this challenge, I'm going to:

• Work back up to near-daily walks
  • Work back up to yoga 3x week
  • Work back up to near-daily meditation
  • Get a little kayaking in while the weather's still warm enough for it
  • Work toward being able to offer more focused work time (rather than doing stress procrastination)

And to support those goals, I'm going to:

• Do some bat cave work, to make the cat situation easier to handle
  • Do some self-education on being a good cat person
  • Look for ways to improve my nutrition (because going back to work has seen me in the McDonald's drive-thru on the way home more than I'd like to admit).  

The Rebels guild feels like a good place to do that.  I can offer to make it worth your while with cute kitten pictures, if that'll sweeten the deal....

Cat profile pic.jpg

• Like 8

Current challenge:  A New Sprout Peeks Up

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

1. If you aren't making mistakes, you're not adventuring hard enough.  
  2. The journey has to be innately worth it; achieving the goal is a bonus.  
  3. My perfect weight is the one I achieve when I live the healthiest life I can truly enjoy.

First and foremost - KITTIES!!! ❤️

Second - when you say your hair is 7 different colors, is it that way on purpose or is it like mine and more “I didn’t know there were that many shades of gray”? If it’s the former, I’m jealous. If it’s the latter, high five in solidarity I guess? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Second - when you say your hair is 7 different colors, is it that way on purpose or is it like mine and more “I didn’t know there were that many shades of gray”? If it’s the former, I’m jealous. If it’s the latter, high five in solidarity I guess? 

Blue, green, red, magenta, purple, my natural dark brown, and my natural gray!  The gray is mostly in Doctor Strange streaks over my ears.  A friend's kid says I have "dark mermaid" hair.  I think of it as pretty cool apocalypse hair.  I thought I'd be safe, working from home for the rest of the year, but I've been called back into the office and am sitting with a bunch of executives today....

• Like 4

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

3. My perfect weight is the one I achieve when I live the healthiest life I can truly enjoy.

5 hours ago, Zaphine said:

Blue, green, red, magenta, purple, my natural dark brown, and my natural gray!  The gray is mostly in Doctor Strange streaks over my ears.  A friend's kid says I have "dark mermaid" hair.  I think of it as pretty cool apocalypse hair.  I thought I'd be safe, working from home for the rest of the year, but I've been called back into the office and am sitting with a bunch of executives today....

Yep, hella jealous. That sounds awesome. Maybe minus the sitting with executives part depending on how judgey they are. 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 7/29/2020 at 8:45 PM, Zaphine said:

just finished reading the new Harry Dresden book

Loved that book! And cute kitties! :) 

• That's Metal 1
On 7/29/2020 at 11:45 PM, Zaphine said:
  • Do some bat cave work, to make the cat situation easier to handle
  • Do some self-education on being a good cat person

Your kitties are lucky to have you. :)

I can offer to make it worth your while with cute kitten pictures, if that'll sweeten the deal....

I see you understand how to make friends here. Well played.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

this challenge cycle has got to be about regaining my foundation

I used the last challenge to reset myself as my life was changing. It was wonderful. It gave me an opportunity to steady myself out without overwhelming myself or completely losing progress. And it set me up great for this challenge as I'm sure this challenge will set you up great for your next one!

• Like 2

Periodic check in!  Successes:  

• Went kayaking over the weekend!
  • Started reading cat books, to better "think like a cat"
  • Made an initial vet appointment for the Hobbits (my nickname for the cats -- the vet may need to be Isengard....)
  • Scheduled a bookcase delivery from Ikea -- I had been procrastinating, trying to save a little money by doing curbside pickup, but that just wasn't happening.  
  • Batch cooked a big dish of mac & cheese over the weekend. It may not be healthy, but it's likely healthier than the McDonald's drive thru....

Stumbles:

• It is so dang tempting to stay up late in the evenings.  The alarm is going off at 6:30 now -- in order to get 7 hours of sleep, I need to turn off the lights by 11:30.  (And it is not unknown for the kittens to wake me up with purring snuggles at 3am....which is lovely but doesn't help with my rest).
  • Work has picked up the pace, so I'm working some evenings now to prep for morning meetings.  That makes it harder to wind down and fit things in.
  • Now that I'm not WFH, I find that I'm missing my morning meds many days.

Next steps:

• I think sleep and meds might be the next relevant baby steps.  
  • I need to get some more cat toys to tire them out before bed.  I've heard a recommendation for the Cat Dancer and Da Bird. Any other recommendations?  
  • Oh, and more cat snuggles.  It's important for their emotional development.  

And for your bribe -- here's a photo of my mermaid hair.  

106087788_10158600596858216_4152594142532724356_o.jpg

• Like 4

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Your kitties are so cute! 

On 8/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, Zaphine said:
  • I need to get some more cat toys to tire them out before bed.  I've heard a recommendation for the Cat Dancer and Da Bird. Any other recommendations?  

Cat springs are amazing if your cats like them. Otherwise, small pieces of paper work very well for our cats, think post-its crunched up so that they can roll (just throw them away, the kittens will probably hunt them). I can still not make grocery lists without my cat thinking it's play time ;). Lastly, anything on a rod/string is nice to play with: you just let them hunt it by moving it on the floor, on their scratching pole, etc. Some (shoe-) boxes on strategically placed ledges will make for popular sleeping/observation places as well.

Thank you for the prod, @Waanie, @juliebarkley -- it is SO easy to not get on here and document.  And time slips on so easily!  

The kittens are so much less like kittens now!  They're just ... small cats, still adorable, but far more able to get into trouble than they were at first.  They've been exploring the tops of doors, the bathtub.  The top of the bookcase and the bathroom counter aren't even challenges any more.  They've destroyed one Da Bird toy, snapping the string to everyone's dismay.  

For me ... I've made some progress.  I've been staying more on top of meds and sleep (though more sleep would be nice).  I've gotten back to walking several times a week.  I've acquired more cat toys and have been exploring which ones they enjoy.  I've taken a donation to the thrift store and made a bit less of a cluttered space.  I haven't so much gotten back into yoga or meditation, darnit -- but at least I have the floor space to do yoga again.  

On the nutrition front, I made a batch of egg-bites in the Instant Pot ... and haven't actually eaten them.  (Oh, why do I do that?)  And I've ordered an initial pack of Huel meal replacement, to see if that helps.  If there's anyone out there who's tried Huel and would like to give me advice, I'd appreciate it!  

• Like 3

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT