The Rack: Warrior Guild Chat

Hey y'all welcome back to another exciting episode of life in lockdown! Let's get this chat started.

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months?

Least favorite exercise?

Favorite video game and why?

What are you reading?

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down?

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down?

• Like 2

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months? I have fallen down the skin care rabbit hole. I am literally awash in serums and exfoliators.

Least favorite exercise? Burpees. This will never change.

Favorite video game and why? Right now Persona 5 Royal, because it's the one I'm playing currently. Also have a soft spot for the Dark Souls games for their discretely rish world building and extensive lore.

What are you reading? Romance novels, and a couple of non-fiction books about life outside the white privilege bubble

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down? LIFTING BARBELLS AT THE GYM 😭

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down? Go back in to the office. I have no idea what kind of shape my cubicle will be in, and I hope I didn't leave anything in the mini-fridge underneath my desk...

• Like 2

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months?

Is running a hobby? I guess that. As I've been working from home, I've not had time to develop any other hobbies. 

Least Favourite Exercise? 

Least favourite exercise? Running again 😆 but i am enjoying it more the more i do it. Or is it that i just enjoy being out of the house?

Favorite Video Game and why?

At the moment it's Retro Bowl on my phone. It's simple, fun and has bright colours - i am very easy to please. 

What are you reading?

One of the weird things about this lockdown is that i have completely lost the will to read (or write for that matter). I started 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' in April and I'm barely 10 chapters in. I think it's because i used to do the majority of my reading on my commute, which i don't have anymore. I'll try again over the weekend. 

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down?

Going out for drinks and a meal with my wife is something i really miss: a few cocktails beforehand then head to one of our favourite restaurants for more booze and lovely food. 

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down? 

Having to pay for all that! 

• Like 1

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months?

Idk, home improvement? 

Least favorite exercise?

Anything that involves moving around a lot, burpees like @Scaly Freak said 

That's a tough one. 

Persona 3: I honestly don't know. Just sucks you in and you have to get everything so perfect. 

Super Mario World: was so revolutionary when it came out in its game play 

Legend of Zelda: the GOAT. I just loved the open world and being able to explore everything. Burn every Bush, push every stone, bomb every rock

What are you reading? 

Just finished the last Murderbot novel, Cinder, and waiting for the Harrow the Ninth to come out. 

People watching in crowded places 

Social interactions.

Yes I love to people watch, but I hate talking to them. My favorite thing in the world is layovers in airports. I love to put on ear buds and pretend that I am in a music video. Sit and watch all the people come and go. I am always amazed by the mix of clothes.

Seems to be primarily 3 types: business dressed to the nines for a board meeting, athleasure I'm late for the gym, and DGAF wearing pajamas. 

• Like 1

Ummmmm does day drinking count as a hobby? No? Okay in that case I've tried (and failed) to learn a new language, I've tried (and still keep trying) to learn piano, I've been building my first PC in like a decade so I've been getting that all set up with softwares and what not. Thinking about dipping back into improving my AutoCAD skills (been talking mechanical stuffs and gears with a coworker which is a fun diversion from the electrons I usually have to deal with). Might even take some lessons on using Blender for 3d character modeling (wouldn't it be neat if I started 3d printing minifigs? there is a serious lack of barbell/gym playsets for barbarian D&D characters)

Least favorite exercise?

Benching and burpees. And yet I still do one of them. The ground is just tooooo far away from me for burpees to be fun.

Transistor by Super Giant Games. Amazing game play, outstanding story, and the soundtrack is so perfect that half my top 20 listened-to ipod songs are from that game.

What are you reading?

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. So far it's a nice change of pace from the more normal wizard and witches tropes. It's about witchcraft using lawyers and a dead god set in an industrial revolution/steampunk-y type city. So far so good. I'll finish it this weekend and then I've got Invisible Women and Capital and Ideology (Thomas Piketty's new follow up book to his well written Capital)

Coffee shops and browsing used bookstores. I lead a pretty solitary lifestyle anyways so the social distancing thing isn't a big burden on me, but man I can't wait for the Saturday mornings where I can go to the coffee shop and read during the farmer's market then wander over to the used bookstores and poke through their shelves.

Sitting in traffic to get to and from the office. Pre-pandemic my commute was anywhere between 1.5-3 hours daily depending on time of day and idiots on the road. I never realized how much of a stress burden that was on my energy levels. That's a lot of wasted time and honestly I am much calmer these days without that. (For reference, without traffic it takes me 20 minutes to go back and forth between the office and it's amazing). I can't believe I put up with that shit for as long as I did.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

ME TOOOOOOO! I'm also waiting for Ten Arrows of Iron by Sam Sykes (The Grave of Empires Books 2)

I know right. So close. I read the teaser they released and it was very different than I expected but looking forward to reading the rest of the story 

• Like 1

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months? Gardening! As a new home owner (July 2019) this is really the first time I've been able to experience landscaping and gardening. I am learning a lot. Also, before it was warm enough to plant stuff outside, I got a bunch of indoor container plants that I've been working on and they're all doing really well TBH. It's definitely fun learning about the different types of plants and how to take care of them. 

Least favorite exercise? LUNGES. (or split squats/ BSS) I would rather do burpees, running, literally anything else. My quads and hip flexors are NOT happy with lunges. 

Favorite video game and why?  I am genuinely not much of a gamer and never really have been . I like Banjo Kazooie on N64 (#justice4clanker) and more recently Pokemon Go. 

What are you reading? I'm about to finish the Wicked + the Divine! Also reading The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates and The Eternal Winter. At any time I've probably got 3-4 books going at once.

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down? I second @bigm141414 for browsing used bookstores.  Being that it is summer right now, one thing I miss is waking up early and grabbing a coffee and then walking around the farmers market (Madison has a FANTASTIC farmers market). Also, team sports, all of my leagues have been cancelled. It's kind of nice to not have the commitment, but I also miss just having more of that playful movement instead of structured gym stuff. 

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down? It is a lot easier to avoid negative & toxic attitudes when you aren't physically near negative & toxic people (coworkers). Having a convenient excuse to remove myself from that is good.

19 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down? LIFTING BARBELLS AT THE GYM 😭

The barbells miss you back.

18 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

What are you reading?

One of the weird things about this lockdown is that i have completely lost the will to read (or write for that matter). I started 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' in April and I'm barely 10 chapters in. I think it's because i used to do the majority of my reading on my commute, which i don't have anymore. I'll try again over the weekend. 

I get this. It has been coming in waves for me. I'll have a spell of a few days where I'll go through like 3-4 books, but then I'll only read a page or two for a week.

I also like how you corrected my spelling of favorite to favourite.

18 hours ago, h3r0 said:

What are you reading? 

Just finished the last Murderbot novel, Cinder, and waiting for the Harrow the Ninth to come out. 

Both of these are on my list!

16 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Ummmmm does day drinking count as a hobby? No? Okay in that case I've tried (and failed) to learn a new language, I've tried (and still keep trying) to learn piano, I've been building my first PC in like a decade so I've been getting that all set up with softwares and what not. Thinking about dipping back into improving my AutoCAD skills (been talking mechanical stuffs and gears with a coworker which is a fun diversion from the electrons I usually have to deal with). Might even take some lessons on using Blender for 3d character modeling (wouldn't it be neat if I started 3d printing minifigs? there is a serious lack of barbell/gym playsets for barbarian D&D characters)

Sitting in traffic to get to and from the office. Pre-pandemic my commute was anywhere between 1.5-3 hours daily depending on time of day and idiots on the road. I never realized how much of a stress burden that was on my energy levels. That's a lot of wasted time and honestly I am much calmer these days without that. (For reference, without traffic it takes me 20 minutes to go back and forth between the office and it's amazing). I can't believe I put up with that shit for as long as I did.

Trying and failing hobbies is cool still! 3D autocad? or 2D? Mechanical is way more fun that electrons, but I'm biased :) 3D printed minifigs would be fun!

Do you still commute in now? Is there any chance for you to relocate closer to work to avoid that stressor? That just sounds miserable to me. And your time is more valuable than that!

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Both of these are on my list!

Cinder was just OK. It was a entertaining read but very predictable. I knew where it was going a quarter of the way in. 

Murderbot novels are awesome. All of them. My only criticism is that some of the novels are pretty short. Feel like I am paying double for two books when they could have been combined into a single novel. But it is a minor complaint. 

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

3D autocad? or 2D? Mechanical is way more fun that electrons, but I'm biased :) 3D printed minifigs would be fun!

3D CAD. I do a bunch of 2d for my day job (PCBs don't get routed by themselves). I started with Fusion360 like a year and a half ago then got distracted by something else. Plus my old ass laptop grinds to a halt when trying to render anything. I am hoping my newly built PC has more oomph.

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Do you still commute in now? Is there any chance for you to relocate closer to work to avoid that stressor? That just sounds miserable to me. And your time is more valuable than that!

I still commute into the office 3-4 days a week, but no one else is on the road, and my hours are shifted based on lab availability so I rarely hit rush hour traffic. I wish I could move closer but I live in Silicon Valley, so moving closer means downsizing and paying more in rent. That said, I like my place I have right now because I have a 2 car attached garage which gives me a place for the home gym I've been lugging around the country for 8 years now.

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Murderbot novels are awesome

I am taking the slow approach with these books since they are so short. I use them as mental palette cleansers after the heavier novels. But I 100% agree, they are great.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:53 PM, miss_marissa said:

Hey y'all welcome back to another exciting episode of life in lockdown! Let's get this chat started.

Least favorite exercise?

What are you reading?

New Hobbies: I've become a reluctant player of "Why is the baby crying?"

Least Favorite Exercise? The only thing I hate worse than burpees are lunges, and the only thing I hate worse than lunges are burpees.

Favorite Video Game? The original Star Wars BF II because I loved the instant play mode.

Rereading Harry Potter for the zlkaefeth time and wishing JKR was a nicer person.

Looking forward to again? Grocery shopping without a mask.

Dreading? Things going back to the way they were with no lessons learned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rereading Harry Potter for the zlkaefeth time and wishing JKR was a nicer person.

I would feel like a coward if I said nothing in response to this.

Regardless of whether you agree with her politics, JKR is civil, compassionate and charitable, and it's an utter disgrace that so many people have felt free to mischaracterise her views, attribute evil motivations to her, and to send her rape and death threats, for expressing dissent from controversial political and medical policies that most people haven't even spent half an hour researching. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

have felt free to mischaracterise her views,

It's possible I did this in my post.

attribute evil motivations to her, and to send her rape and death threats,

I have not done these.

I was trying to be diplomatic about the fact that I'm severely disappointed in her based on some of her tweets, specifically the ones insensitive to people who are Trans. Perhaps I failed either in diplomacy or in communicating that about which I was disappointed. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Least Favorite Exercise? The only thing I hate worse than burpees are lunges, and the only thing I hate worse than lunges are burpees.

Hey! Same 2 least favorites! lol

I would feel like a coward if I said nothing in response to this.

Regardless of whether you agree with her politics, JKR is civil, compassionate and charitable, and it's an utter disgrace that so many people have felt free to mischaracterise her views, attribute evil motivations to her, and to send her rape and death threats, for expressing dissent from controversial political and medical policies that most people haven't even spent half an hour researching. 

I am willing to bet that Tank also thinks she is civil, compassionate and charitable and would also believe that she doesn't deserve rape and death threats.  He is entitled to express disappointment in the views she has expressed. One can hold both of those views simultaneously.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I have not done these.

I know you haven't. It's more that saying she's not nice without mentioning the vicious media campaign against her doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure how many people know about the threats. I adore her books and it makes me feel sick to think about how she has been treated. I would feel awful staying silent about that, so I commented. I didn't mean to imply any of this is your doing.

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

He is entitled to express disappointment in the views she has expressed.

Yes, he is. I'm expressing disappointment in the fact that people are not defending her. 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes, he is. I'm expressing disappointment in the fact that people are not defending her. 

Some of the things she said, are politically correct code for some pretty horrific things. Similar to how the phrase "all lives matter" sounds innocuous and harmless, but the beliefes behind it are pretty horrific. Unless she is willing to spell out, multiple times, that she is not a part of the horrific movement that believes trans women are not actually women and trans men are not actually men, she is going to continue to be attacked like this. Because she sounds like a transphobe, and there is nothing in her words or actions that disproves that, and until there is, she is going to be treated as one, and that means only openly transphobic individuals will be defending her.

• D&D!!! Not totally new (I dabbled in middle / early high school with cousins, playing only about once a month), but new in my adult life and I'm super stoked about it!
  • Not a hobby, but I found myself finally tweaking all the little and not so little things I wanted to change in my apartment (including flipping my furniture so that my couch faces a different wall and moving all the bookcases, plus adding a couple pieces to make a little reading nook in the corner of my bedroom that gets all the good light)
  • Also gotten a bit more into cooking / meal planning now that I'm home more to make stuff

Least favorite exercise?

I'm a warrior heretic, but deadlifts. Never enjoyed them. Also, anything with high technique demands done at speed as a conditioning exercises (lololol remember when I tried CrossFit for a few months? that was not a bright move, in retrospect).

Rome: Total War - it's a throwback to my late childhood, and I loved the civilization building aspects of it and the setting (I think maybe "Hercules" set me up to forever have a soft spot for ancient Greece and Rome, but I'm not 100% sure). Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (original and sequel) are also in the mix because they blend my love of the Star Wars universe with 

What are you reading?

A couple different books in parallel:

• "Why Doesn't Superman Take Over the World? What Superheroes can teach us about Economics" - blends two of my nerdy loves, comic book super heroes and economics
  • "SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome" - history of one of my favorite time periods, written by a witty British historian who suffers no BS in Romans' self-mythologizing
  • "Becoming a Supple Leopard" - literally life-changing for me as an athlete and coach, I've forever augmented the way I look at movement and mobility
  • "The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck" - been a really good reminder that it's ok not to give an F about some things (like my strained acquaintanceship with a former co-coach for my college dance team who I'll likely never see again - I can give precisely zero f*cks about his negative opinions and it's super freeing)

Hugging all the people I care about dearly that I can't see in person.

Figuring out work-life balance as more things are on my plate in my second work life (as a dancer) - 

32 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:
  • D&D!!! Not totally new (I dabbled in middle / early high school with cousins, playing only about once a month), but new in my adult life and I'm super stoked about it!

I'm in this situation as well, and the large amount of tabletop I played in my youth is why I didn't mention D&D as a new hobby. We had our monthly live session last night, and it was hilarious as always. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, bigm141414 said:

Coffee shops and browsing used bookstores. I lead a pretty solitary lifestyle anyways so the social distancing thing isn't a big burden on me, but man I can't wait for the Saturday mornings where I can go to the coffee shop and read during the farmer's market then wander over to the used bookstores and poke through their shelves.

That sounds absolutely lovely. 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Least favorite exercise?

I'm a warrior heretic, but deadlifts. Never enjoyed them. Also, anything with high technique demands done at speed as a conditioning exercises (lololol remember when I tried CrossFit for a few months? that was not a bright move, in retrospect).

But but but... that second part describes kettlebell sport pretty accurately, but you know that was actually made for it, not at all like crossfit. You might like it when it's done properly! :P Kettlebell snatching is sort of like dancing. The first part I can just not wrap my head around. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:25 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Some of the things she said, are politically correct code for some pretty horrific things. Similar to how the phrase "all lives matter" sounds innocuous and harmless, but the beliefes behind it are pretty horrific. Unless she is willing to spell out, multiple times, that she is not a part of the horrific movement that believes trans women are not actually women and trans men are not actually men, she is going to continue to be attacked like this. Because she sounds like a transphobe, and there is nothing in her words or actions that disproves that, and until there is, she is going to be treated as one, and that means only openly transphobic individuals will be defending her.

Some people say "all lives matter" because they have horrific believes, some say it because they are not at all educated on the subject and will later be horrified they said it. I'm not so sure those people don't deserve being defended when their characters are being viciously attacked. 
I'm not educated as much as I should be on the topic of trans people and I might very well put my foot in my mouth while learning (and I think I did on Harriet's thread last challenge), but does that mean I'm a really bad person and don't deserve defending when my character is attacked instead of the thing I said or the opinion I expressed? 

• Like 3

New hobbies picked up the past 5 months? Hah! hahaha. I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old.

Least favorite exercise? Bench. I don't get it. 

Favorite video game and why? Zelda, Ocarina of Time will always have a very special place in my heart. But League of Legends and Civ have been favourites the past couple years.

What are you reading? Currently rereading the wheel of time. 

Thing you're looking forward to doing again once things calm down? It's hard to believe things will ever completely calm down... but I'm already not prohibited from doing anything, so I'm going to go with traveling or having people travel here. (that Europe NF meet would be nice... and competition travelling without feeling like a giant douchebag)

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down? yeaaaa that already all happened. I'm dreading a round 2. 

• Like 1
On 8/2/2020 at 5:24 PM, KB Girl said:

Thing you're dreading doing once things calm down? yeaaaa that already all happened. I'm dreading a round 2. 

I suppose I was only thinking of the US where things are still absolutely a hot mess. I would also dread a round 2 if I were in your shoes.

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I suppose I was only thinking of the US where things are still absolutely a hot mess. I would also dread a round 2 if I were in your shoes.

This week saw double the case numbers from last week 😕 and as people come back from vacation any contact tracing is going to be an absolute nightmare.. 

• Sad 1