paleo not for everyone?

I am a complete believer in doing a paleo/primal diet tweaked for your own body. I tolerate lactose in small amounts ok, so I enjoy cheese once a week or so. I don't see grains as bringing any real nutritional value (no matter what any pro-grain people say), and they don't taste good, so I don't eat them. You can get plenty of fiber, vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables. Grain is for birds.

Ultimately, I'm a firm believer in eating real food. If it is made by a machine in a factory, or sold as a "flake" or "nugget" or some other crap, DON'T EAT IT.

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

this I why, I shouldn't eat grains.... When I go grain free, I lose weight faster, I don't get bloated, my mind is clearer as in, my ADD is less noticeable (diagnosed and was on meds for it at 1 time), my moods are more even, my hormones are more even and the monthly rashes(an autoimmune issue) are gone, no deep depression before my period, I have more energy and sleep is amazing. No more insomnia. I sleep go to sleep around the same time every night and wake up 6 hours later feeling awesome. I have arthritis in my knee from an injury, and I'm in less pain.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

Here's my main problem if any of you feel like further clarifying as best you can:

Allergies aside, how the heck is rice or wheat (both come from the ground, both not overly processed unless you just shop like a dope - maybe I'm missing something here) or milk (again, comes from nature and only processed to the point that we can safely ingest it, much like the reason meat is cooked) NOT considered "real food?"

a: lots of things come from the ground. Crabgrass comes from the ground. It's not food.

b: Go pick some wheat and see what you can do with it. If you manage to pick a LOT of wheat you might be able to pull together enough to thicken a stew. The stuff is hard to gather, doesn't naturally grow in large quantities, and no amount of pulling it out of the ground will create flour.

Rice, i'm a little more lenient on and so is the paleo community, but to be honest, it's go the nutritional density of air. Why eat it when all it's giving you is calories and sugar?

Milk is certainly food, it's just maybe not a food you want to consume a lot of. the paleo community is also pretty mixed on milk but most people accept that if you get it whole and raw it's a fine food. Now go try and do that. It's very difficult. the vast​ majority of the dairy people are eating is not from pastured raw whole milk sources. So it's sub-par. Eat it if you like, but there is no need for it.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

What about quinoa? it's actually a seed, a freaking powerhouse food.

bear in mind that Quinoa is a super high carb food. I think it's fine for occasional consumption, but eating a lot of it regularly will screw up your insulin just like any other carby grain.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

a: lots of things come from the ground. Crabgrass comes from the ground. It's not food.

Wait wait wait... you've never had a fern and crabgrass salad with cotton sauce?

Well, I like your points, Anivair (and others). True, I doubt anyone ever picked up a stalk of wheat and started munching on it. And rice is delicious buuuut, pretty much a "0" across the Nutritional Facts board (except for fiber and the internal brainwashing of mine that says we need whole grains... which I'm still not sure I'll ever lose).

And MMyers, I love your civil and helpful posts. Thanks!

Aight, I've run out of motivation to continue my argument, but still fall in the camp of skeptical people. And I do love my whole wheat hamburger buns.

Over-simplistic answer would be - everyone is different.

Many people (athletes included) indicate that they thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Me? It made me more run down that I have ever been in my life.

For someone as...um...."extra fluffy" as I am, I should be sick, but I'm not. My blood pressure is great, I have no diabetes, I get a cold about once every 3 years. I am one of the healthiest fat people you'll ever meet. My mother is exactly the same way.

But just like I didn't stay vegan/veggie because it made me feel run down and lousy, I'm not going to stay fat because I am currently healthy. I don't like the way I look, so I have lots of room for improvement. Who knows what I'll be able to accomplish when I'm no longer fat? I can always be better. And I didn't start losing weight and gaining lots of energy until I switched to Paleo.

I lost 40lbs previously doing the standard "eat anything just count calories" - but basically following the food guide recommendations, so I know it works. But it was also a constant struggle for me - cravings, bloating, gas. Most days I would feel like I was half full of helium, lumbering around like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I just thought it came with the healthy eating and my body would "get used to it". It did not, but I was losing weight so I just dealt with it. Now I am losing weight and I do not feel any of those same adverse effects as when I was eating oatmeal, bread, and brown rice daily.

I suspect if your husband didn't do all that triathlon training, the junk food would be showing more damage. And who knows - maybe that junk food is what is between him and getting below the 11 hour mark? There is always room to improve.

But, in the end, you only live once. If you can be that accomplished and eat Twinkies...eat Twinkies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

bear in mind that Quinoa is a super high carb food. I think it's fine for occasional consumption, but eating a lot of it regularly will screw up your insulin just like any other carby grain.

touche, it's a once a week thing in our home.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I've never had quinoa in my life (never even heard of it until recently) and thus see no reason to start now.

I had never heard of 'paleo' in my life, until recently and thus no reason to start now.

hee hee.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Aight, I've run out of motivation to continue my argument, but still fall in the camp of skeptical people. And I do love my whole wheat hamburger buns.

Most people fall into this camp. Most of the people I know who say they're going to try paleo give it a shot and stop. In the end they like bread and candy more than they want to change their lifestyle. it's hugely common and I don't see a problem there. My only problem is when those same people come back a few months later upset that they haven't lost weight and are still unhealthy.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Most people fall into this camp. Most of the people I know who say they're going to try paleo give it a shot and stop. In the end they like bread and candy more than they want to change their lifestyle. it's hugely common and I don't see a problem there. My only problem is when those same people come back a few months later upset that they haven't lost weight and are still unhealthy.

*sigh* My mom is in this camp, even though I know that a lot of her "issues" are gluten and dairy related, and she would benefit as much as I have just from that portion of the diet, even if she chose to keep rice, beans and potatoes.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Paleo is not a religion.

If folks are interested, they should try it.

If they look/feel/perform better, and it's worth the "sacrifice" to them, they'll stick to it.

If they don't see any improvements or it's not worth it to them, they won't.

I think I look/feel/perform better when I go to bed at 9:30pm every night, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go around telling everyone I know to do it. There's a cost -- I don't go hang out til midnight with friends every night -- but it's worth it to me. If someone asks me for advice about how to be less tired, I might suggest that they give it a try. When I meet others who share my early bedtime, we have a sort of instant camaraderie, but that doesn't mean I divide the world into those who share my bedtime priorities and those who don't. Guess what? It's the same with paleo.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Paleo is not a religion.

If folks are interested, they should try it.

If they look/feel/perform better, and it's worth the "sacrifice" to them, they'll stick to it.

If they don't see any improvements or it's not worth it to them, they won't.

I think I look/feel/perform better when I go to bed at 9:30pm every night, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go around telling everyone I know to do it. There's a cost -- I don't go hang out til midnight with friends every night -- but it's worth it to me. If someone asks me for advice about how to be less tired, I might suggest that they give it a try. When I meet others who share my early bedtime, we have a sort of instant camaraderie, but that doesn't mean I divide the world into those who share my bedtime priorities and those who don't. Guess what? It's the same with paleo.

You're far too level headed. ;)

I will say on the milk thing... it may not be technically paleo (for adults) within the definition of Whole9 or Robb Wolf. But there are many other paleo thinkers who are more moderate about the issue of dairy products, MDA or Dr Kurt Harris for instance. I've read a lot of the arguments and the way I see it, dairy may cause problems above and beyond lactose intollerance, but those problems seem more at the margins. Certainly mother's milk is good food for babies... none of us would be here without it.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I don't think there's any magical perfect diet for everyone. I try to eat more on the paleo side because I feel better. I have vegan and raw food friends who feel great and have buckets of energy, whereas if I went vegan/raw I'd be anemic and exhausted.

Truth! Some of us just needs our meats! :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

While I've never really "liked" bread all that much, paleo substitutes are sorely lacking, when it comes to the utility value of holding the contents of a sandwich/wrap.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I don't think there's any magical perfect diet for everyone. I try to eat more on the paleo side because I feel better. I have vegan and raw food friends who feel great and have buckets of energy, whereas if I went vegan/raw I'd be anemic and exhausted.

Well there IS. It's just my magical perfect diet isn't the same as yours and it isn't the same as theirs.

I hate cookie-cutter methods. Whatever happened to everyone being their own special little snowflake? :D

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

it's worth noting that paleo is not A diet. I'll go out on a limb and say that neating natural foods and avoiding foods that damage your body or do not provide any nutrients will absolutely benefit anyone who does it. But if they don't want to, then no big deal.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

A couple of things are bothering me here.

First, your diet is just the sum of food you eat. So, yes, Paleo is a diet. Diet does not mean "food menu eaten for weight loss". You can choose a diet for weight gain. You can choose the "eat whatever I want when I want it in whatever quantities I desire" diet. In fact, a lot of Americans choose the last one.

Second, cow's milk is made for cows. Human milk is made for humans. Aside from that, have you ever changed the diaper of a baby drinking only breast milk? It's pretty much 100% diarrhea. Human infants are unable to digest whole foods at birth and therefore must have a liquid diet. None of that is a glowing recommendation for the consumption of milk. There's probably a good reason why people are lactose intolerant but not vegetable intolerant. Allergic to certain vegetables maybe, but that isn't the same thing as an intolerance.

Third, and this is important, the word "fitness" only refers to an individual's ability to perform a specific task. It does not imply nor include health, excepting those times when it specifically used to refer to an individual's ability to process a specific food or handle a specific diet. The term "physically fit" is incomplete. Physically fit for what? A 25-mile ruck march with a 50-lb pack? A marathon run? A powerlifting competition? Just because someone is doing triathlons, and doing them well, does not mean they are healthy or eating properly. The rise in marathon runners having heart attacks should be a clue.

Fourth, elite performance does not imply optimal nutrition or health. In fact, it could be argued that optimal health cannot coexist with elite performance. Most elite athletes have trained themselves to ignore biologically programmed warning signs meant to deter possibly detrimental action. Watch a video of marathon runners collapsing near the finish line. They have literally depleted themselves to the point of no longer having control of their own body. Elite performance, but not optimal health.

Many fit people don't have a "good" diet, they have a "good enough" diet. The problem with finding a "good" diet is that it's entirely subjective to the individual. And nowadays so many people are coming to fitness after years of poor health that their current diet makes them feel so good that they can't imagine that they aren't at their peak. Or, they subscribe to the "universal theory of nutrition" and believe they are eating perfectly because it follows someone's guidelines that can't possibly work for everyone.

Also, I think most people completely ignore the genetics factor. An ultra-endurance runner will not be able to win the Olympia and vice-versa, because of genetics. You see this a lot with so many people on the treadmill at the gym. Cardio burns so many calories and all those hot people on fitness magazine covers run, so running must be the best cardio. Everybody thinks you have to run to have that body, but nobody stops to think they run because they have that body. Not everyone is made for running. Not everyone is made for bodybuilding.

Not everyone is made for Paleo, but for a different reason: personal preference. Just like people who are built to run, but train for hypertrophy due to personal preference. We have no way of knowing if the boyfriend or the brother are in good health without more information. Cholesterol levels, blood pressure, serum testosterone levels, etc, etc. If they're happy with what they're eating and there's no overt signs of poor health and they receive regular physicals from qualified doctors with a clean bill of health, then let them eat what they want. But, don't just think that because they feel good and perform well that they're healthy. Neither should you push a diet on them that they won't enjoy. Success is as much a function of enjoyment as it is hard work and dedication.

SThom27

Mando Ranger

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 4 WIS: 2 CHA: 2

Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore. - Pressure makes gems, ease makes decay. Mandalorian Proverb.

SThom,

That's a really good post, you've made some great points there.

However, I pity anyone who is trying to convince a loved one who is 'physically fit' at one thing (long-jump in my friend's case) that their diet of chicken nuggets and supermarket pizza is probably not that good for them.

I too, think that paleo is for everyone, in slightly different varieties. I think that people can tolerate the crappy foods to different extents, but everyone could benefit from eating more actual food and less designed in a lad food.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I eat primal, not paleo, if people want a distinction. I will not eat grains except for rice when we go out for sushi...but give me butter with no extra ingredients, give me my bacon!!!!

Do I enjoy great health...YUP

Can someone who eats grains and/or crappy food enjoy great health....YUP...not as many, but they are out there :)

Part of the problem for people who eat primal/paleo is exactly what happened to me.

Extremely quick after I went full 'primal', I experienced such drastic improvements in my health. In 6 months I went from 210lbs down to 165, my high blood pressure was cured. I spent the next few months under the close eye of my doctor who monitored my health with blood pressure tests twice a week, weekly blood tests and visits to see if anything bad would show up...but it didn't and I am now completely off of any medications for 2 years now, with perfect blood pressure and blood tests. Plus my extreme (8-9 on a 1-10 scale) back and neck pain was cured as well.

All of this because of what I changed in my diet. I was excited I felt so damn GREAT that I just wanted to run out and tell everyone who had health problems...."Hey look what I found...this is awesome!...I don't count calories/carbs/etc, I have delicious food whenever the hell I want...", etc ,etc ,etc.

It is SO exciting to get this level of health with such ease after I had given up on ever feeling good again, that I just KNEW everyone had to try this.....

Well, the simple truth is this, and it has already been said: Eating primal/paleo IS for everyone, and EVERYONE will get a benefit from it in some way, shape, or form. Will they have the same results as me? MAYBE. Will they enjoy the same foods as me? MABYE....MAYBE...etc..etc..etc. Everyone is different.

As was said before, not everyone is for primal/paleo....and that is fine.

I have made my decision in life, it has brought me great health and benefits, and as long as I have a choice in the matter, I will never go back to eating the way I did before.

If someone asks how I got to this point, I just tell them,...."This is how I did it, and it works for me...here is the research, the science, and the info..." and I will be there to support them if they have questions, but the choice is always up to them if they want to listen and/or follow it.

I am still excited about the changes in my life, and probably always will be, but I had to remind myself, that everyone has the right to make their own decisions, even if I feel they are not in their own best interests....and just because I feel they may be wrong, does not mean they are wrong.