• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

Terra gets back on track

I’m ready for some goals this challenge cycle.  Valkyrie Bad-A$$ Goddess here I come!  

The-Valkyries-768x432.png

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY

Weeks 1 & 2 focus on my hip:

• Make it ANGRY!!!  Hike, Jui-jitsu, deep squats... anything to make my pain levels high so I have a big ruler to measure the effectiveness of the injection
  • Aug 12 MRI guided hip injection
  • Document the effects of the injection

Weeks 3 & 4 get back into PT and other exercise.  

NUTRITION

• Don’t eat like an asshole.
  • Eat more veggies.
  • Stop eating rice – it is almost as bad as gluten for me and gluten is “toxic” to me.  
  • Eat till comfortable: not full or stuffed
  • Two meals with a small snack is enough most days.  
  •  

MENTAL 

• Finding balance in my life is vital
  • Work is an exercise in firefighting and I need to find ways to mentally be OK with that, for now. 
  • Be present for my family, especially as my girls head back to school (online for now) 
  • Remember that exercise (not food) is good mental care! 

OTHER
Crochet R2D2
Clean and minimize the crap in my house
Sew more masks

• Like 2

Happy Monday!  Day 1 here and it is off to a good start.  

• 30 minute bike ride
  • GF pancakes and sausage links pre-cooked for this week's breakfast
  • My youngest spawn picked up her school books (math workbooks) this morning
  • Snack of yogurt and a green apple at my desk for today.  
  • hiding in my office as much as possible with the outside window open to enhance air movement and ventilation

Tonight I won't make BJJ class but I will do my stretching and maybe get out for a walk.  Work is stressful but I only have to be here for 4 days this week.  I got this.  

I'm trying to get back into crocheting and I realized this weekend I don't remember the stitches or how to read a pattern anymore.  So I have some re-learning to do. I tried to watch youtube videos in between hockey periods yesterday.   And WAHOO!  Hockey is back ❤️🏒❤️

• Like 4

When do your kids “return” to school?   Mine start on Thursday.  It’s both exciting and scary, especially since it’s a new school and has a reputation as being very challenging.  

I love using YouTube videos to learn crochet!  You might be able to find a step by step video guide for the R2D2 

• Like 1

Yes, love seeing your Valkyrie transformation!

On 7/31/2020 at 6:37 PM, Terra said:

Crochet R2D2

We get to see the finished product, right?

• Like 1

Today (starting late last night) it's been...  

Skunks, bears and sick kitties!  

The dogs killed a juvenile skunk last night.  Neither dog was bit (rabies is a huge issue) and they don't smell pleasant.  Thank goodness it was juvenile because it isn't full on skunk stink but it is still nasty.  And I don't think they got sprayed in the face/mouth.  Another good thing.  

A bear came by to snack out of our trash can last night.  

And the kitty who has been struggling for a while with his bladder/digestive tract got xrays today.  ANSWERS finally, wahoo!!!    He has bladder stones which could be dangerous, so we have him on prescription food that should make a difference.  But we have about 6 weeks to watch him closely while the food takes effect and helps dissolve the stones.  If one of those stones gets stuck it could be life threatening.  And he is coming home with more medicine to help.  

Whew!  I'm feeling the "high-spin-wobble" today.  Things are flying fast and furious today but I am energetic and getting stuff done.  I rode the bike this morning knowing I was going to need the exercise and I plan on more exercise/stretching tonight!!!  Food is an afterthought right now...  🤨  I might need to do some crocheting tonight!!!  

Just now, Jarric said:

We get to see the finished product, right?

Of course! 

• Like 3

Wednesday brought with it a migraine where it felt like my right eyeball was going to rapidly and violently eject from my head.  

Boy kitty is on special food and more meds.  Dogs are also on meds for various reasons, but are now 100% update on shots.  (they were less than a week overdue at the time of the skunk incident)   My hubby is grumpy because I am so crazy busy at work and unable to make BJJ classes right  or help much with the girls now.  I haven't done any crochet yet this week.  My food choices aren't horrible and skipping a formal lunch is helping.  I could use some more veggies.🥒🥬🍅  I tried to go home to work today for a few hours, but after about a hour it was clear that I needed to go back in. 😢

I've got to work hard this weekend to make my hip angry.  I'm excited for a hike and some BJJ!!!  

So many cute little critters to crochet...  But first Star Wars characters. 

AnimalSpread.jpg

• Like 2

Having a doozy of a monday!  I had a moment in a meeting this morning where I was quite grateful for the mask.  I'm sure my face was saying all sorts of crazy/pissed off things.  I managed to keep my calm for the most part...  And the hubby is ticked off at me.  (I just want/need a fun get away, I'm going stir crazy and it is kicking my butt big time right now!) <sigh>

Good news? 

• I planned and booked next summer's vacation and have some extra vacation points which might also get us a spring break vacation too!  
  • I started to make my hips ANGRY on friday, and continued the work on Saturday with a couple of BJJ practices.  Tonight is core class (hoping for lots of squats!!) and a long walk after dinner.  
  • Two meals a day is going well and I'm increasing my veggie intake.
  • I'm struggling with the magic circle to start off circular crochet projects but I'm going to keep trying!!!  
On 8/3/2020 at 8:23 PM, fitnessgurl said:

Check this vid out. 

Crochet Crowd

This guy is great - I'm going to see if I can find his magic circle video tonight! 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, Nymeria said:

When do your kids “return” to school?   Mine start on Thursday.  It’s both exciting and scary, especially since it’s a new school and has a reputation as being very challenging.  

I love using YouTube videos to learn crochet!  You might be able to find a step by step video guide for the R2D2 

My kids start on Thursday, all on line for now.  I'm trying to be positive but it sortof sucks.  My youngest just got her revised 8th grade schedule (she had the one "NOPE!" teacher for not one, but two classes.)  Took them a week to fix it.  My oldest (a sophomore in high school) still doesn't have a schedule, but none of the HS kids do yet...  I'm not sure what is going on at the high school, but it does worry me!   I have a book with an R2D2 pattern, I just need to be able to crochet in the round and follow the instructions.  😉

• Like 2

No class, no walk last night.  Tonight I MUST do more to make my hip angry!!!  And physics. Tonight I MUST sit with my oldest daughter and work through the physics questions that she has. We did a bit last night and she got on a roll, thus wanting to to more on her own today.  But we need to work on it together tonight.  

Last night I chatted with my hubby about my job. It is a constant struggle for me to find balance between work, family and my health. This new job is crazy some days and we are understaffed.  And I am an anomaly here.  Most of my co-workers have no kids or they have a stay at home spouse or a spouse that works in the school district.  I know my kids are teenagers but I am struggling to be the parent I want to be right now. My boss asked me if I could help him understand why this group couldn't retain female engineers long term and I understand why now. I need to schedule time to talk with him about it...  I don't know how long I can maintain this level of crazy!!!   The only saving grace right now is the fact that my hubby is working at home and is helping more around the house.  

Two meals a day is working for me.  However I forget to get up and take a break at work and instead I grab a small snack and keep working.  I am still searching for ways to balance things.  No rice in the last couple of weeks either and I feel better without it.  Replacing the rice with veggies is good for me.  I am pulling a few things out of the garden and they are yummy!  Grilled zucchini with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!!!   

I am struggling to find the balance in life and while I love the challenges of this new-ish job I am struggling with the demands it makes on my time and energy.  It makes me sad -->> I want to love my job and be healthy and enjoy my family. Lots to think about...  

• Like 2

At first I was confused as to why you wanted to make your hip angry, and then I remembered it was the doctor's orders.😀

I think parenting teens is actually just as demanding as parenting toddlers. In a different way, of course😉 But they need attention, and often at the most inconvenient times

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, Elastigirl said:

At first I was confused as to why you wanted to make your hip angry, and then I remembered it was the doctor's orders.😀

I think parenting teens is actually just as demanding as parenting toddlers. In a different way, of course😉 But they need attention, and often at the most inconvenient times

There are days where the girls drive me nuts and then there are days when I never want them to go...  Today was the first day of school and that was weird!  Angry hip info below...    

15 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Sounds like you're carrying a full load. Maybe journaling about it might help? Hang in there! *hugs*

Yes, my plate is full.  Thanks for the idea of journaling, but typically it becomes another thing on my plate that feel guilt about not getting to.  This place is my journaling spot!!!  

Hips are tricky.  I spent the last 5 days trying to make mine really angry, I only got to moderately angry and I made the whole hip angry again.  Not just increasing the pain in the labrum/socket.  Having a couple of pain spots/mechanisims sucks.  I am hopeful that I can get back to some BJJ now that I got the injection of cortisone into the socket.  I think the labrum tear is the pain that is keeping me from jui-jitsu.  And my health coach texted this am asking why I haven't logged into the stretching app this week.  <sigh>  Today I see no pain/movement difference but the doctor said it would take 3-5 days to feel the full effects.   

Today should be a quieter day, despite it being the first day of school.  I stuck around the house through first period for both my girls.  Eldest Spawn's first period class doesn't have a teacher yet.  They had someone lined up but the transfer didn't happen, so the principal, vice-principal and shop teacher are going to co-teach till they can find a full time ROTC commander and assistant (or some other navy instructors with titles I will likely get wrong at first.) 

My hubby has complimented me in the last few days about my initial weight losses.  I don't know how much I've lost but I know I am feeling better these day, not where I want to be but improved.  And that is motivating.  So a "snack" sized lunch has been helpful (except when I miss it at work!) and more veggies is working for me!   The neighbor brought over kale, chard, chives and peaches from her garden.  I'm pulling tomatoes, zucchini, and other herbs out of my garden.  I'm looking forward to potatoes from the garden too.  🍅🥔🌾 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Despite all the weird lock-down regulations in our state, the hubby and I are discussing a gym membership at a 24-hour place.  I miss access to a good weight room with free weight and equipment like that.  Eldest Spawn could join us but not our other spawn.  I wish we could go there as a family, that would be ideal!  Youngest Spawn has asked to do some beginning lifting and I would love to teach her!!!  

Sigh...  I better get to work, lots to catch up on today as usual...  

6ab727d6aa8878234c03024b0ac0a447.gif

• Like 5

On 8/11/2020 at 5:01 PM, Terra said:

I am struggling to find the balance in life and while I love the challenges of this new-ish job I am struggling with the demands it makes on my time and energy.  It makes me sad -->> I want to love my job and be healthy and enjoy my family. Lots to think about...  

It sounds like you need to have a frank conversation with your boss about how you can make the job work with your life rather than be in conflict with it. If he wanted to know why they can't keep hold of female engineers then hopefully he'll take it seriously, and might be able to make changes that are good for the department as a whole?

• Like 3

So I learned that a hot flush can be a side effect of cortisol injections.  I had what felt like a 24+ hour hot flash, but with no temperature.  I was about ready to crawl out of my skin. I even went to the doctor thinking I was having an allergic reaction to something.  I am still getting them but they don't last so long any more.

tenor.gif

But how is my hip you ask???  My pain is almost gone in the groin area, but some bursa pain comes and goes based on my activity levels.  They said 3-5 days and today was day 3.   I am hopeful that the hot flashes taper off now that the injection is kicking in and my hip is feeling better.  So now I have new 6 month goal...  Strengthen my hips so that I don't need surgery because I don't want surgery and another one of these injections would SUCK!!! 

I also got weighed at the doctors office and... I'm not above a little bad language!

Spoiler

storming_off_gif.gif

980x-3.gif

Not good.  

3023463fd38f6f9c2a20c2528a8eaf3c.gif

For my hip, for my general health and for my sanity...  I must do something more.  Changes to my plan must happen and they will be happening in the kitchen first and then on a yoga mat second!!!  

h_oo9avh6f0TztWOobKfzRHNAzzaaMsnrP494s63

(I just love Animal!!!)

So for the net two weeks here is my revised plan:

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY

Daily PT

And every day at least one but hopefully two: 

• Hip mobility yoga
  • Bike riding (this is a good daily habit when I go into work)
  • BJJ
  • Walking/hiking

NUTRITION - turn on low carb eating and tracking

• Eat more veggies.
  • Stop eating rice – it is almost as bad as gluten for me and gluten is “toxic” to me.  
  • Eat till comfortable: not full or stuffed
  • Two meals with a small snack is enough most days. 

MENTAL 

• Finding balance in my life is vital
  • Work is an exercise in firefighting and I need to find ways to mentally be OK with that, for now. 
  • Be present for my family, especially as my girls head back to school (online for now) 
  • Remember that exercise (not food) is good mental care! 

Biggest change is in the food because the exercise uptick was always planned!  SO back to food selections that are lower carb (actually my doctor told me to do this months ago, but then covid happened, and I had time to cook breakfasts!!!)  I can do this!  Meat, veggies, eggs and healthy fats are totally yummy. I just got to cut back on the potatoes and GF bread.  I can (and have) done this before, I can do it now!!!  

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

On 8/16/2020 at 4:38 AM, fearless 2.0 said:

would you tell/show me what you do for hip mobility ( yoga) ??? I have the same problem and only know the `hip bridge´ 

Right now I do several exercises daily (or I should be doing them daily)

• mini squats (I think of this at chair pose in yoga)
  • heel-to-butt stretch
  • Sitting and rotating my foot out to about a 30 deg angle from my knee
  • clam shells (lying on my side on the floor)
  • straight leg raises (lying on my side on the floor)
  • lying leg walking (lying on my back, it looks like I am slowly high stepping) 
  • Hip bridges
  • And a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head

My insurance covers a program called Hinge Health and they send me a table, with sensors and an app, that walks me through my exercises every day.  I also was assigned a health coach who reaches out a couple of times each week to see how I'm doing and answer questions.  It's been a great benefit to have this program.  

I am trying to get stronger and improve my movement. I've included a couple of links because these look pretty advanced and I'm posting them as future ideas

https://gmb.io/hip-mobility/

https://www.polar.com/blog/hip-mobility-exercises/

I am looking at my food choices and trying to reduce the unnecessary carbs while increasing veggies.  I also reached out to the new gym in town asking about membership costs and the operational model that they are working with right now.  In my state I think we still have to wear masks while working out at the gym or even outside. I need to give myself access to weights and other equipment so I can work on improving my health.  I'm never going to be a fast runner or heavy into cardio, but I should be a strong little powerhouse!  Lifting weights, increased mobility and BJJ are where I want to be.  And I love what I just wrote...  a strong little powerhouse!  Oh, yeah!  I am totally putting that into my signature block so I don't forget.  

This weekend was good.  I got in some cautious BJJ, lots of walking and other self care.  We had a picnic with my parents and mom gave us two quilts that she had made for us.  This morning was my 30 minute bike ride.  

I'm going to try to make BJJ and conditioning classes tonight.  Then work on some food ideas for quick low carb meals to see if that helps me (and my hubby) drop a few pounds...  

I miss my strength - I want arms like this again!

Biceps_Brachii_Muscle_Contraction.jpg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Thank you so much for the description and the links. This health insurance program sounds cool. We don't have that kind of stuff here. And: HOLY FUCK!!!!! THE PICTURE!!!!!! keep going Terra, you strong little powerhouse!!!! :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It might show up elsewhere...

Thank you - that made me cry!  Happy crying, I promise.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

My husband has that program offered for him and family members. I was thinking of signing up. I don't have chronic pain, but hip pain that flares up. And the program is offered free, so it seems like a good idea. And sensors, so nerd happiness!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

My husband has that program offered for him and family members. I was thinking of signing up. I don't have chronic pain, but hip pain that flares up. And the program is offered free, so it seems like a good idea. And sensors, so nerd happiness!

I figured it couldn't hurt.  The sensor stuff is pretty cool.  The program is geared in a way that they don't promote surgery (I'm sure it's meant to do that for the insurance company) My health coach was concerned when I went in for my injection last week.  She was worried that I was going to give up the program because the shot has helped with the pain... but the side effects are not fun, so I'm staying with the program.  No surgery and no pain is my goal!  

5 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

And: HOLY FUCK!!!!! THE PICTURE!!!!!! keep going Terra, you strong little powerhouse!!!! :)

Oh, I wish that was my arm!!!!  That is my goal arm and it's a lovely goal, eh?  

• Like 2

Since I last posted I've had a good day. 

I went to core/conditioning class for the first time in months.  It was lovely to see everyone.  Then I went home and ate a properly portion sized meal of tacos. And I then I did my hip exercises.  So yesterday I rode my bike for 30 minutes, attended class for 30 minutes and then stretched for 20 minutes.  It was a great day for exercise and food choices!!!  Today I'm on a similar pattern. although no class is planned for tonight.  I'd like to go for a walk or do some extra stretching.  And food choices are on track too.  

So I printed a few labels that say "Strong Little Powerhouse" and I am placing them where I can see them. Right now I look at one of them on my computer monitor at work. ❤️💙💜

My quote/image for the day!

c69e04822bb8f7060e363f8e9cc10106.jpg

• Like 2