Nymeria eats better and does nerdy things

Nymeria

I'm keeping this one really simple and focusing on eating habits.  For the last year, I've been trapped in this vicious workout cycle, where I push too hard because I want to do the things I used to be able to do, I strain something, and then I'm sidelined for a bit.  So, I'm backing away from pushing myself in the physical arena and instead pushing myself with better eating.  Also, the kids start (virtual) school next Thursday, so I need to keep things easy and loose this challenge.

Goals: 

1.  Delay the meals.  Whenever I have a yogurt and coffee at 7:00, lunch around 1:00, and dinner around 7:00, I end up not needing an evening snack.  The evening snack has been a huge source of extra, unneeded calories, so eliminating it would be great.  Right now, the kids and I swim around noon and around 5 or 6 each day, so that has helped tremendously with pushing back meals.

2.  If I'm hungry, I need to drink a glass of water, wait 30 minutes, and then only get a snack if I'm still hungry.

3. Eat more veggies!  My husband got a green egg, so we've been grilling.  Grilling is a great way for me to fill up on veggies for dinner.  I've also been trying to eat more salad, and we've also started our garden.  So, the plan is to eat at least a couple servings of veggies for both lunch and dinner, and turn to carrots + hummus first as a snack.

4.  Exercise wise- Do stuff, but don't push.  In the last 4 months, I've had problem areas in my lower back, left elbow, and hip/glute.  The plan is to continue trying to do things, but the moment anything hurts at all in an unhappy way, rest and let it heal.  My back was finally okay enough to do some yoga today, a full 3 weeks after my first issues, largely because I didn't rest it right after straining it.  

5.  Complete things in my nerdy checklist:

-Learn the piano part for the 2nd movement of the Breval sonata in C, so I can do the duet with my son.

-Record at least some piano piece.  Ideally, it will be the first movement of the same Breval sonata, but it might be something else.  

-Have at least 2 outings where I drive somewhere with less light pollution and stargaze.

-Focus on Saturn with my higher mag eyepiece (already managed with the lower mag one).

-Find neowise

-Research other cool things to view with the telescope.

-continue coaching my kid for math contests.  He's also trying to self-teach high school level geometry.

-Get antifog, nearsighted goggles so I can truly swim while still seeing things.  

-Research what my family needs to do to get scuba certified.

-Get the 3d printer working again, and print cool things.

-Finish my Norbert the Dragon crochet.

• Like 6

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I love that list of nerdy things. 🤓

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Following!

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm trying to look for the silver lining in this...

It looks like the universe wants to help me with dieting.  Friday night, one of my crowns fell out, and while I was able to re-cement it in my mouth, I'm stuck with somewhat mushy foods for the time being.  Tomorrow, I have an appointment, and with any luck, the dentist can just do a little cleanup and then re-bond the crown to my tooth.  I'm honestly more annoyed that I have to expose myself to covid by needing a medical appointment.  Grrr...

Also, I usually react somewhat poorly to the cement filling the pores in my teeth, so it's likely I'll have very sensitive teeth through Thursday.  But, like I said, at least it will help me get off to a great start with eating much less and drinking a lot of water instead.  

Aside from that, I've put in some work on my dragon crochet project.  I've finished the main body and wings, so I just need to do the legs and then assemble everything.  Woot!

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Aghhh, boo. Dental woes are the worst. Good luck.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

15 hours ago, Nymeria said:

my dragon crochet project.  I've finished the main body and wings, so I just need to do the legs and then assemble everything.  Woot!

How did I miss this?!?!?  Love the idea of a dragon, we need pictures!!!  I'm trying to remember how to crochet and am working on R2D2 if I can figure out the directions...  

Bummer about the tooth.  

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Motivation

I’m sitting at the dentist now.  Tooth is fine, but needs a new crown.  The main thing that will be hurting is my bank account. 

4 hours ago, Terra said:

How did I miss this?!?!?  Love the idea of a dragon, we need pictures!!!  I'm trying to remember how to crochet and am working on R2D2 if I can figure out the directions...  

Bummer about the tooth.  

Crochet buddy!   I’m pretty noob with the crochet, but I have a Harry Potter kit and a cat kit.   After Norbert, I’ll do Hedwig.  I frequently feel like I have no clue what I’m doing, but things seem to turn out

• Like 1

My tutorials:

Ugh sorry about the tooth.. Hopefully you can get back to the grilling asap though. 

On 7/31/2020 at 8:23 PM, Nymeria said:

For the last year, I've been trapped in this vicious workout cycle, where I push too hard because I want to do the things I used to be able to do, I strain something, and then I'm sidelined for a bit.

Aw man. Yes. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Everything is fine with the tooth.  Today, I managed to swim + lift.  I'm being safe for now and using a back support strap even for simple things like push ups, squats, lunges, and OHPs.  Eating has been okay.  I'm just trying to tackle that day by day and little by little.

For the nerdy stuff, I haven't made any stargazing progress.  Most days have been perfectly clear, but the evenings have been very cloudy.  I'll just have to take advantage of the clear nights when I have them.  :)

I've started working on the Breval 2nd movement, and practiced some other piano stuff.  Nothing has been recorded yet.

Nearsighted goggles have been ordered!  They should arrive on Tuesday, and then I'll have additional goals of trying to remember how to do real swimming and not "head above the water" swimming. 

Norbert will receive a lot of work tomorrow.  Crocheting during my son's cello lesson has been working very well, since I need to standby to handle any tech issues, but otherwise, I need to back off.  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

OOO I'm here for the stargazing and Neowise catching!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 8/3/2020 at 2:13 PM, Nymeria said:

Crochet buddy!   I’m pretty noob with the crochet, but I have a Harry Potter kit and a cat kit.   After Norbert, I’ll do Hedwig.  I frequently feel like I have no clue what I’m doing, but things seem to turn out

I used to crochet with my grandmother, but that was years ago.  I'm restarting so I'm also very noob like.  With any luck I can learn how to read the patterns this weekend!    A Harry Potter kit sits in my Amazon wish list right now. But there are lots of free patterns on Pinterest too! 

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Motivation

Ugh.  Sorry I've been missing so much.  

The last week has been a lot of tech support for my kids.  Both are doing full day distance learning, and there has been a bit of a learning curve for figuring out the technology, how to upload stuff, managing schedules, etc.  I'm also tied down with trying to re-socialize my cats.  My non-injured cat has become very aggressive with my injured one, and I have to supervise any interactions between the two.  I'm so tired....

On the positive side, I've had a full week of small workouts, and I have been generally eating healthier.  I've checked 3 items off of my nerdy checklist:  

-Crochet Norbert the Dragon - DONE

-get nearsighted goggles and try to do real swimming -- DONE

-stargazing:  My husband and I watched the Perseid meteor shower for awhile.

The weather has not been conducive to stargazing.   Boo..  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Wow, sounds like you've had a bit of a time in the real world! I'm just glad to see that you're ok!

Also Norbert as the name for the Dragon is fantastic!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

❤️ Ooof, good luck with all of these things. 

Raptron, alot assassin

Hope the remote learning is getting into a rhythm .Can we see a pic of Norbert?

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 8/14/2020 at 6:36 PM, Red1263 said:

Wow, sounds like you've had a bit of a time in the real world! I'm just glad to see that you're ok!

Also Norbert as the name for the Dragon is fantastic!

Heh.  I can't take credit for it.  It's the name of the dragon in the first Harry Potter book, and the crochet dragon is directly from a Harry Potter crochet kit. ;) 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:35 AM, KB Girl said:

I can imagine.. hope it improves soon ❤️ 

other than the learning curve, how are the kids handling the distance learning? 

It's great!  The new school is a much better fit for both kids than the old one.  They're in theory going back to school in person in late September, which will be great for them, since they don't know any other kids in the new city, but it will make me nervous, because covid.  

On 8/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, raptron said:

❤️ Ooof, good luck with all of these things. 

Thanks!

On 8/28/2020 at 12:02 PM, Elastigirl said:

Hope the remote learning is getting into a rhythm .Can we see a pic of Norbert?

I'll try to post some crochet pics.  I've been very busy with the crochet!

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Okay.  So I can't seem to get into a rhythm with keeping track of this forum and posting.  Ugh.  

Anyway, the good things lately:

-I got my prescription goggles and after 20+ years of not diving, I still remember how to dive.  Yay!  

-The entire family got new bikes, and we're going to start doing family biking trips soon!  Mine actually isn't being delivered until Thursday, but I borrowed my daughter's to do a quick ride yesterday.  It's frightening to me that my daughter is close enough to my height that I even can steal her bike.  😲

-I haven't recorded anything for piano, but I have been playing a lot!  I really wanted to do the duet with my son, but he moved on from that piece and isn't willing to go back.  Ugh.  

-Crochet has been great! I finished the dragon, did a weird cactus thing with dune sandworms, and I'm now crocheting Yoshi dolls for my niece and nephew.

-3D printer has still had a few issues, but I have managed to print a few things.

-I have been exercising more regularly.  I'm also joining my son 3 days/week for his virtual PE class, where he's given exercises and a certain number of reps and sets to complete.  His teacher really loves core exercises.

-We're starting to make plans for putting our mini rock wall in our garage.  If we force sit starts and make use of overhanging areas, we could set up some plausible mini-routes.

Stargazing, however, has been a pretty big bust.  This time of year is generally too cloudy, so this goal was ill-timed.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying virtual PE classes with your kids! And you must post pics of your mini rock wall! And I'm sorry to hear about the lack of stargazing 😔

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Nym's adventures in crochet:

Norbert the Dragon:

IMG_1133.thumb.jpeg.b1d8c360a782d2b62cf5211cf72fb896.jpeg

Cactus arrangement with Dune sandworms:

IMG_1136.thumb.jpeg.6d6912a4537e1504fb5e38a0da418133.jpegIMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.dd4e9cf4f0f3f75043bad142e6206adf.jpeg

Dark blue Yoshi:

IMG_1132.thumb.jpeg.ec9535e2f252bf4a22739737a7cd27be.jpeg

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

My tutorials:

Those all look great. Although, I must ask, are you sure it's Norbert and not Norberta?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

OMGGGG, the cactuses with the sandworms!!! That is amazing! 😱

Raptron, alot assassin

SO cute! I think I like Yoshi the best!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien