• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP; you may see me struggle but you will Never see me quit!

I'm not sure my drawings will be awesome for quite some time; but you guys have been with me since I started.  and SHARING your drawings, esp your BEST drawings is such an important part of this.

mjRJcXW.jpg

PS this was done during the tutorial "you can't draw" by smoothie77.  seriously considering getting more information and better step by step video from him on patreon.

I love his technique and maybe I could learn a lot from him.  but time will tell....

PPS;  I guess this is a pretty pleasant tourist destination in SW england.  to have my english friends.  Have you been there? is it all that??

it looks gorgeous...

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1

? I think I erased a long post talking about WHY I'm here and my goals of getting back into fitness.

SHOOT. 

hopefully thats NOT a sign of things to come. BUT.

img_0467.jpg?w=1000

it happens.

• Haha 2

WOW that DRAWING!  You have made so much progress!! I am incredibly jealous and you're now reminding me of why I originally bought my iPad - to practice digital drawing.

Hmmmm.  Hmhmhmhm.

🤔

1 hour ago, TGP said:

PPS;  I guess this is a pretty pleasant tourist destination in SW england.  to have my english friends.  Have you been there? is it all that??

I recognised it from your drawing! That was brilliant!

It's beautiful. Like most of Sussex, it's usually very crowded though. The problem with England generally, I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this recently completed drawing is a little more creative then most.  I call it "holding flowers"... 

the right palm is wonky.  Hands are hard. VERY hard.  I'll try to get a new update this afternoon...

wM1xvwa.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

this recently completed drawing is a little more creative then most.  I call it "holding flowers"... 

the right palm is wonky.  Hands are hard. VERY hard.  I'll try to get a new update this afternoon...

wM1xvwa.jpg

I like it. Suggestion: both right palm & arm section need to be smaller/more narrow. Hope you're ok with suggestions.

wow. yes

my photo software... (lets me overlap reference and drawing as seperate "layers" , shows there there is some Major distortions.

there are def problems with the size and shape of both hands and they are much more extreme in the right.

the right wrist is very wonky.  if I had (at least) made both hands a similar size- it might have helped.

anyways. no prob! You have a good eye, fitnessgurl! ty*

maybe some day I'll get to the point to where my mistakes are very subtle... but.

download (1).jpg

they rather leap out at me.  often though; its easier to know that its Wrong- rather than how to fix it.

I'm still working very studiously on trying to do that.

picture by picture-  hopefully I'll get working on getting things better then I did before.

*PS. as you can tell I'm not very defensive about admitting mistakes in my drawing. there are many ( I know there are) and i do TRULY and warmly welcome constructive comments like these.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TGP said:

wow. yes

my photo software... (lets me overlap reference and drawing as seperate "layers" , shows there there is some Major distortions.

there are def problems with the size and shape of both hands and they are much more extreme in the Left.

the left wrist is very wonky.  if I had (at least) made both hands a similar size- it might have helped.

anyways. no prob! You have a good eye, fitnessgurl! ty*

maybe some day I'll get to the point to where my mistakes are very subtle... but.

download (1).jpg

they rather leap out at me.  often though; its easier to know that its Wrong- rather than how to fix it.

I'm still working very studiously on trying to do that.

picture by picture-  hopefully I'll get working on getting things better then I did before.

*PS. as you can tell I'm not very defensive about admitting mistakes in my drawing. there are many ( I know there are) and i do TRULY and warmly welcome constructive comments like these.

You'll get it figured out. You truly are talented.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TGP said:

as you can tell I'm not very defensive about admitting mistakes in my drawing. there are many ( I know there are) and i do TRULY and warmly welcome constructive comments like these.

Be careful with this mindset. Such thinking, when uncontrolled, can push you into way of thinking where you diminish all your successes and focus ONLY on your flaws and mistakes (real or imaginary). I know it, I was there I'm still there and I'm working bloody hard to get out of this.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aramis said:

Be careful with this mindset. Such thinking, when uncontrolled, can push you into way of thinking where you diminish all your successes and focus ONLY on your flaws and mistakes (real or imaginary). I know it, I was there I'm still there and I'm working bloody hard to get out of this.  

Agreed. It's a delicate balance.

• Like 1

this was said on quora. (Michelle Gaugy; "Why do I feel like my art is not good enough"  4/14/2018)

"You feel your art isn’t good enough because it isn’t. That is the nature of art. The whole point is learning. Each work you create is merely a means of learning something that you will then be able to carry forward to the excitement of putting it into practice in the next work. If you ever become satisfied, you’re finished, kaput.

Now, does that mean that you beat yourself up over every piece, flagellate your artistic soul, wear an emotional hairshirt, and wander around the studio moaning, “I’ll never get it….?” Of course not.

Your emotional self has to develop a grownup relationship with your artistic self. And just as you would in a friendship, each time you “meet” yourself in the studio, you must meet yourself where you are. That means where you are in skill, where you are in life, where you are in your artistic desires, and where you are on that unique and singular day.

Therefore, growing as a human being is just as important as the learning you do artistically. And every work you create is part of that journey. You’re not supposed to be happy with them. You’re supposed to keep going."

I love the part about one's emotional and artistic self having a grownup relationship.

there is tension about how I feel about my drawings and my desire to grow and get better.  its important to recognize flaws in my drawings but a little emotionally difficult.  sometimes I feel like a little like a kid who's going back to having his garish pictures pinned up on the refrigerator (memory time- did you parents ever do that for you as a kid?)....

but Hiding my art doesn't help.  art is in part expression; but expression without exhibition become meaningless.

so, I appreciate you, my audience. ty for your thoughts and attention.  I DO need proper goals and I'll try to get to them soon.

• Like 3

OK enough procrasting!

goals shouldn't be about making a book but about Making a Plan.  reading and Thinking a bit about "confidence" lately and specifically artistic self confidence.

the General point of it; is really, REALLY, applicable to me.

I need to get going and DO STUFF!

when you act on some goal, you build patience, skills and aptitude for it.  it doesn't make you perfect at something and you maybe unhappy with the results.  but Doing Nothing is the lowest, least ability of them all.

so Rule #1

NO garish drawing or rough, struggling run is Worse than doing nothing.

also; when doing very nothing- you can't ramp uip (easily) to doing lots.  INCREMENTAL improvement.  I'm currentely doing almost nothing Excercise-wise and thats not cool!

lets (personally) focus on drawing and exercise

* Once per week; I need to do  a run. (start small!)

*Once per week; I want to climb!

*Twice per week; I want to do some form of strength training (kettles? beanbags? or... is it time to go back to the YMCA??)

*Three times per week; I want to do some short cali like effort.  Is it Time to get back to pullups? maybe but lets focus not on numbers but on advancing and progressing

* Three times per week; I need to work on a full drawing

Note that these are not Very defined strict programs or anything.  I need a break from that.  there's no immediate goals to any of it- but But LETS focus on the process more then the destination!  lets focus on really Enjoying drawing and exercise and making it part of who I am.

I'm even rethinking a little about how I present my drawings.  Perhaps I simply am too negative about them, even when I unveil them.

What I do KNOW is that Negativity of any kind isn't good;  it can't be stuffed and hidden but its not a force for good either.  the Artistic Self-confidence is that by embracing your creations as an Expression of yourself-  you can focus on what your trying to do and what you've partially done in my drawings.  finding something about your art that inspires you and that you want to get better at.

PS

my big record of numbers will not be maintained for awhile.  there will come a time for more of a program in what I do.... and ....that is when I will make a new file.

but I find without a program its drudgery to keep those numbers up.

PPS.  someone else's thoughts on artistic self-confidence. VERY interesting stuff;

https://might-could.com/essays/the-secret-to-building-artistic-confidence/

"If we let that negative feeling of doubt and disappointment take over, and we convince ourselves we’re not good enough, it can stop us from making our best work. And eventually if we start believing that voice that says we’re not good enough, we’ll stop making anything at all."

Artistic confidence doesn’t mean having a big head or believing you’re a walking art god. It means the belief in ourselves and our abilities. It means being able to assure ourselves internally. It means the ability to love ourselves and our art for where it is today. It means the ability to let go of the constant disappointment and self-criticism, and instead be kind and compassionate towards ourselves and our work."

• Like 4

True in all things, not just in art. We can try to remember to meet ourselves where we are, have faith in our potential, when we assess our progress on fitness or personal aspirations as with artistic ones.  Though it sounds like you have a harder time with art.

• Like 1

yes. interesting truth Kestrel.

I think "art" is problematic; because Afterwards the "result" is staring you in the face.

after a run you can forget that you ran so slow that turtles passed you; lol

anyways. my latest.

lGrkmA5.jpg

its my most ambitious yet! geese! pigeons! a person! tricky lighting! texture and shadows everywhere!!

what nice thing should I say about it? welp. its probably one of my best.

if you think its uncannily accurate (proportion-wise) - your not wrong.  some of the outlines were traced.  so its nothing I'm going to rush to an exhibit. but despite a little bit of an unfair advantage- there's some better drawing in this one. imho
  • Like 3

you guys all Know that I see EVERY wart and stuff on my drawings.  and my latest... welp its far far from perfect- but there's something different I wanted to share about it.  for THIS particular drawing I find a little MORE spark to it.  like you are saying, kestrel, I really feel something of a narrative between the goose and the man; and while the guys clothes were not particularly well rendered- his face was a little more accurate.  I'm not So sure of Mad shading skillz- but I think I managed to not distract the viewer from the GAZE.

(my  cats give me THIS kind of look all the Time!)

In short; I'm a little PROUD* of this one. (cue the compliments ? lol)

ofc, its partly because of the cheating. unlike "holding flowers" I didn't give myself the luxury of greatly distorting the main subject matter.

but... anyways.

Idk.  I'm not sure how to handle Good feelings about my drawings, either.  i'm so.... unqualified and unskilled. (yeah, def imposter syndrome, here). ofc,  these thoughts aren't prolly good ones to obsess on.

the gracious answer is to say "thank you for your compliment" and to move right along.  I'm in the process of getting a new teacher-  a guy named "smoothie77" makes demo drawings on patreon for $4 per month.  I think I'll try to absorb a little from him.

and ofc; I'm working on new drawings- like a previous quote says- you get just enough motivation to begin the Next drawing and drawing by drawing; over time you should improve.

#trustintheprocess 

I'll update you guys about my running program it needs started back up.  MONDAY OR TUESDAY morning-I promise!

* another truth that sometimes matters quite a bit.  I've found that MY taste in art favors some of my drawings over others. well, to my surprise Other people have other preferences.  this makes for the situation where I do a drawing that I felt was really poorly done and my wife/son(etc) prefers IT over others.

so.... there's probably NOT so much of a difference drawing to drawing as I imagine.

in Short, If I HATE one and like another- its Probably true that BOTH are mediocre. ;)

• Like 1