• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scaly Freak attempts to lift things again

I am pleased to report the geeky masks are quite comfortable,and also easy to hand wash. :) 

Challenge update:

Primary goal: Survive the Flood

I think I mentioned that the water damage extended into the laundry room, right?

Today a small crew arrived to remove the old floor and replace the damaged sub-floor materials. They did not impress. Not only was there a misunderstanding that took several phone calls and over half an hour to clear up, a couple of them kept removing their masks while working inside our house. Husband promptly turned off the AC and begun opening windows (it was over 90 F/32 C outside), and firmly but politely reminded them to keep their masks on inside the house. I heard him remind them more than once, and gradually becoming more and more angry. When the crew finally left, he sent a very sharp email to the coordinator/manager of the main contractor and informed him that masks are not optional on this job, and the next sub-contractor who shows up without wearing one, will be sent home. (He was livid about this to the point I started to worry about his blood pressure. We are very much looking forward to a mini-vacation.)

In the plus side, the old laundry room floor has been removed, the new one is not here yet, and the washer and dryer are back in the garage. /sarcasm

Secondary goal: Exercise regularly

First of all, thank you to @KB Girl, @h3r0, and @Defining for workout suggestions. I have decided to start with a Darebee program as Plan A. If I find that I absolutely cannot stick with it, I will spend money on Dumbbell Domination and build Plan B around my inner miser's constant refusals to waste something we have spent money one.

Darebee program Super Strength:

Goblet Squat, 3x10

Side Bends, 3x10

Calf Raise, 3x10

Forward Lunges, 3x10

Bent-over Row, 3x10

Romanian Deadlift, 3x10

Bicep Curls, 3x10

Db Push-ups, 3x10

Renegade Rows, 3x10

I am debating changing the last two, and do "wall" push-ups against the staircase, and replace the renegade rows with supported one-arm rows, but I plan to start out as the program is written and see how it feels. I also think I will use very low weights to start, since it's been at least almost four months since I lifted something...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Thank you, but after how he treated his wife (now ex-wife), I'm not really interested in touching anything by Bret Contreras, not even for free. Ew. (Google his name followed by "abuse" if you are interested in details.)

Did not know! Thanks for the heads up.

I'm wondering about the calf raises and side bends in your routine - are those areas lagging that you're trying to work on?

19 minutes ago, Defining said:

I'm wondering about the calf raises and side bends in your routine - are those areas lagging that you're trying to work on?

Well, they were put in the routine by Darebee, but one of the reasons I picked that one is because those are areas I have not focused on in the past. I have a bad habit of neglecting my core muscles especially.

• That's Metal 1

31 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Unintentional unpleasant side-effect of the workout, that I should have expected... this is my current commute to work:

Now grab those DB and carry them to work 😎

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Now grab those DB and carry them to work 😎

I may try that a few months from now... When setting up for the renegade rows is possible without risking fatal face planting between the dumbbells. 😛 

In addition to feeling great, making Self-Indulgence purr and bask in the joy of lifting, the workout last night and the DOMS today are a powerful reminder of just how long it has been since I did any serious lifting. But it still felt great, and continues to feel good today. Lifting really is anxiety medication. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 4

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

In addition to feeling great, making Self-Indulgence purr and bask in the joy of lifting, the workout last night and the DOMS today are a powerful reminder of just how long it has been since I did any serious lifting. But it still felt great, and continues to feel good today. Lifting really is anxiety medication. :) 

YESSSS! So glad you're back to lifting.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Lifting really is anxiety medication. :) 

It really is :) glad you got a good dose! 
really right now the specific program doesn’t really matter anyway. Having said that, this looks like it covers all the basics! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It really is :) glad you got a good dose! 
really right now the specific program doesn’t really matter anyway. Having said that, this looks like it covers all the basics! 

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Something is better than nothing = Any lifting is better than no lifting.

It certainly feels like this program covers all the basics. DOMS are much worse today than yesterday, as expected. I will probably need to lower the weight just to get through the program today.... But I will get through it! And now that I have posted it here, I have to. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Proof of workout! 💪

Leg DOMS made muscle control non-existent for lunges, so I gave up on using weights for the sake of avoiding falling over. Still feel great to be lifting again, despite the excruciating pain during lunges and squats. 🥰

20200808_183435.jpg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Challenge update:

Primary goal: Survive the Flood

The washer and dryer have been reconnected to their respective tubes and cables, and are working properly again. 

Mental health situation is vastly improved thanks to recent work on my secondary goal. I am also meditating, and actively seeking out social activities that I enjoy, with friends (on and off NF), and with my volunteer group.

Secondary goal: Exercise regularly

Off to a good start! I'm happy that I started this relatively early in the challenge, since this gives me plenty of time to establish the habit.

Side-quests triggered by regular exercise:

1. Get more sleep! Insomnia destroys lifting stamina and strength. Dealing with the very unpleasant newbie DOMS is bad enough, I don't need to make things worse for myself by sleeping an average of 4-5 hours per night.

2. Drink more water! I refilled my water bottle four or five times during today's workout. I take this as a hint that I need to drink water more regularly throughout the day, and not wait until I'm parched mid-workout.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Sounds like an excellent first week! The renos are moving along, the washer/dryer are back, activities are being enjoyed, and exercise has been selected and begun. So productive. :)

What is "Step 4" for pushups?