Wobbegong Cautiously Returns

Wobbegong

Wait wait this challenge is over in three days?! And I stayed here basically this whole time?? Is this... is this success?!?!?!?!

I definitely thought this challenge had like three more weeks in it, wow. Well... that's cool I guess. I was thinking it might make more sense for me to switch to a Battle Log next time, because I tend to feel like my goals don't match up well with a cyclical few-weeks-long pattern, but here I am feeling like I'm ready to jump to my next thing right at the end of the challenge, so...? Although to be honest I don't really remember what my goals even were this challenge. Something about moving and then a bunch of self-examination stuff. I didn't do most of that, but at least that's primarily because I got distracted doing other related things.

Well, it's still a few days from the end, so I'll wait to do a thorough recap until then. But yeah. Cool stuff!

3 hours ago, Tateman said:

Ice breakers are the worst, plus being graded. I immediately was thinking sarcastic stuff. Of course, I don't think would be good for a grade haha.

I don't generally hate ice breakers as long as everyone understands that their purpose is only "to break the ice" and not "to get to know each other deeply" (which seems to often get overlooked, including in this instance) but I strongly object to being graded on them. I also work hard to rein in my sarcasm in these contexts... and generally on the internet, where it can so easily be misinterpreted. But I worry that my own ability to process sarcasm is diminishing as a result.

• Like 9
On 9/2/2020 at 9:28 PM, Chesire said:

Oh my!  The first few times you see this happen is like magic!  So cool. 

The magic of mod powers ;)

On 9/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, Jupiter said:

Looks like it to me! Nice job!!

Thanks! I'm still very surprised, but I'll go with it.

I've been super exhausted the past few days, basically since Tuesday -- like "I know it's only 6:30, but we could go to bed now" exhausted. But I kept not doing that because it seems ridiculous and also sometimes when I do that I wake up promptly eight hours later and nobody has time to be up at 2:30am.

But then yesterday I got to school and the English teachers said, "We're just returning tests today, so we don't need you in class. Instead, could you translate these essays for the students participating in the speech contest?" And boy oh boy, did THAT take a lot of brain power. I spent five hours translating the first one (still not done) and by the end of the fourth hour I was DONE. So I took a break and leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes to rest for just a minute, and Ms S immediately came over demanding to know if I felt unwell and if it was the heat or the pressure (storm season) or Corona or what. I said I was just taking a break, and she said "Don't work so hard." Like... ok? It's my job?? Then the English teacher came back and Ms S told him "You're making Wobbe work too hard, she had to take a break!" and he said, "Oh, the deadline for these translations is the 14th, don't worry about it." You could've told me that a little sooner so I could balance the work I did between translations and homework, dude, but ok.

Anyway I was totally pooped by the end of the day so I gave myself permission to go to bed as soon as I felt sleepy even if it WAS at 6:30 and it turned out to be at 4:45 xD so I was asleep by 5pm yesterday and slept straight through until 6 this morning, but I feel a bit better. In addition to adjusting to school work + actual work + unexpected more work than usual at job, I've also been exercising more and trying a new app to encourage myself to get back on track with IF this week, so it has been a lot of things. It's reasonable to be tired, and I'm glad to have a weekend coming up. But I also had forgotten how much better I feel when I'm busy -- it's tiring, but I feel good about myself when I'm productive and engaged.

So yeah that's my life, how're y'all?

• Like 6

This just makes me think about all the stories I hear of salarymen napping at their desks because they had to stay out all night drinking with the boss.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 9/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This just makes me think about all the stories I hear of salarymen napping at their desks because they had to stay out all night drinking with the boss.

When I was working in Japan, I had a colleague who kept a futon by his desk for when he needed a nap

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

When I was working in Japan, I had a colleague who kept a futon by his desk for when he needed a nap

There have been times when I've been ordered to go to the tatami room and take a nap on the zabuton. Never during the school day, though. It's really hard for me to sleep in semi-private places where anyone could walk in on me at any time (friends' houses, nap time at school when I was little, etc. -- if it's truly public, it's no problem, and unfamiliar but private places like a new dorm room or a hotel are also fine) and I've been yelled at for rising too soon on those occasions.

All of the schools I work at also have a couple of beds in the nurses office (which I guess makes it more of an infirmary?). Like legit twin beds, not just cots, where kids can rest if they're sick or injured. I've never seen anyone just take a nap there, but I hear that's more common in high school. I've definitely had kids straight go to sleep on their desks in the middle of class, that's for sure.

• Like 4
On 8/6/2020 at 3:07 PM, Wobbegong said:

Here's what I'm gonna do for this challenge.

1. Nutrition: Actually pretty good on this one already. Just a lingering issue with overeating certain comfort foods, easily circumvented by not buying those. I will allow myself only one more this challenge.
  2. Activity: Move every day. Ideally this looks like a resistance band workout and hitting my steps, but at minimum five minutes of stretching. Even that much makes a big difference.
  3. Clean: Do one thing from the cleaning list every day. Reach goal: do two things. 
  4. Identity/Self-Worth: Pick a category and make a list of 5-7 things from that category. If there's associated shame, reflect on the source. No more than one list per day and no fewer than two per week.
  5. Personal Chronology: Up to once per day and not less than twice per week, spend five minutes writing down the events of the past 24 hours in chronological order. Once per week, pick one difficult life experience and write down everything I remember about it. Then try to get memories into chronological order.

How'd it go?

1. I had three more hahaha but that's way better than what it was before I made this rule, which was like two a week. I haven't had any for the past week at least. The item in question is packages of individually wrapped chocolates, net weight 185g. So it was really getting to be a problem, and I'm glad to have cut back so significantly.
  2. I've been on it this past week but before that I was pretty sporadic. Even though this goal looks like low-hanging fruit when it's written out, it's definitely not yet part of my regular daily habit, so it's good to keep it in mind and keep working on it.
  3. This did not really happen and my apartment is a huge mess. I have a lot of baggage and mixed feelings regarding a messy home. It's more calming and comfortable to have a clean space, but I was never permitted to be messy as a child, so mess kind of feels like my own way of saying "I live here, I exist." I tend to only be strict about dishes because of bug problems, so I have laundry and papers strewn about everywhere.
  4. I did this like once and never again. I love the idea of structured activities for healing, but hate the practice. Not sure how to reconcile that next challenge.
  5. See above. But I did try to write out my day to day experience posts in chronological order as much as possible.

The most important thing for me in this challenge was, of course, what I wrote in my very first post: just to be here. Here I am on the last day of the challenge, so... I'm pretty sure I won!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

New challenge is here: 

I don't think that link will work for anyone who isn't a GL, as I haven't made the new challenges public yet.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't think that link will work for anyone who isn't a GL, as I haven't made the new challenges public yet.

Ahhhaha. I was half asleep when I posted that and figured it'd be fine because the new zero week starts today so it won't be long before it's open. But timezones.

Sorry to anyone I confused!

• Like 2

I'll be there to read the new challenge when it opens up :)

And you did indeed win. You were here!

I have similar feelings of having things clean, yet I live in much mess. I think part of next challenge will be to at least help clean up a bit, and making the habit to keep things cleaner haha :)

• Like 2