Jarric - Back in the Saddle

Week 2 Roundup

Running: 3/4

Hangboarding: 0/2

Splitting: 1/1

Rolling: 2/3

Brushing: 7/7

Drawing: 4/4

Running last week was good. I should have done my last run after our D&D game on Sunday, but instead I decided to do some game prep and got sucked down a rabbit hole of planning meta-plot stuff for 2 hours. So that was fun, but really I should have run and found another time to do it.

Hangboarding wasn't done because my fingers were hurting most of the week - I think it'll take me a while to get accustomed to bouldering again - and also because of my coughing fit on Friday.

Split stretches were done Monday, so that was an easy win. Foam rolling should have been an easy win, but I just didn't get to it. This week I'm focusing on the idea that if I'm in front of the TV I should either be drawing or stretching 

Brushing was spot on, as was drawing. And over the weekend I also finished my avatar for Urah (in the style of the Order of the Stick comics):

dNth0vt.png

WW's asked me to do an avatar for her character next :) .

The weekend was really good. On Saturday I got my long run in (about 15.5 miles in the end), and then had D&D run by @jonfirestar with @Mr_Willes, @Red1263 and @WhiteGhost. We killed a troll, took on a quest to collect a unicorn from the underdark, and fought some undead. For a better appraisal of that game see WhiteGhost's thread.

On Sunday I went bouldering, and had a good time hitting some fairly hard climbs (by my standard). In the afternoon I ran my D&D game, which started with the party fighting a flameskull and some zombies. Once they had finished that off and taken a rest to recover from the battle I got to reveal the best thing about flameskulls - they regenerate every hour. So then they got to fight the thing all over again *evil laugh*. They've now locked the remains of the skull in a furnace for the time being ...we'll see how long that holds *extra evil laugh*

So far so good this week. I got a few double unders in sets of singles at Crossfit yesterday, and I got to do some handwalking practice today. Teeth brushing and drawing is on point, and I've done my split stretches already and a foam rolling session too. I skipped hangboarding yesterday as my finger still hurts, hopefully it'll be better for tomorrow morning.

I also ran to Crossfit this morning and completely failed to fall over and hurt myself, so things are looking up!

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jarric said:

:lol: I'm gonna have to try that with people. Thanks!

When I saw the gif, I thought the same thing.  I can't wait to do this!

Catching up and I can say you are doing a much better job of being here than I am lol!   You're doing so well.  Like dang dude.  You're just nailing ALL THE THINGS.

RANGER ON!!! 

I seriously wish I could be a detached shadow of yours for a while and just mooch on your life.  The way you describe things sounds so awesome and zen and fun and chill and cool and perfect!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

I also ran to Crossfit this morning and completely failed to fall over and hurt myself, so things are looking up!

I am so very happy to hear this :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Starpuck said:

When I saw the gif, I thought the same thing.  I can't wait to do this!

Catching up and I can say you are doing a much better job of being here than I am lol!   You're doing so well.  Like dang dude.  You're just nailing ALL THE THINGS.

RANGER ON!!! 

I seriously wish I could be a detached shadow of yours for a while and just mooch on your life.  The way you describe things sounds so awesome and zen and fun and chill and cool and perfect!

Thank you! To be fair you've been on holiday, and I've been sat at home, so it'd be worrying if I wasn't updating more than you!

I'm glad things sound chill. They don't feel very chill at the moment, I always feel like there's a million things I need to do. I prefer your perspective though; maybe I'm not as busy as I think I am.

13 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I am so very happy to hear this :lol:

Well you did tell me not to fall over ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

I'm glad things sound chill. They don't feel very chill at the moment, I always feel like there's a million things I need to do. I prefer your perspective though; maybe I'm not as busy as I think I am.

Oh no no!  You sound busy as heck!   But in that good, life fulfilling kind of way- with a wonderful routine, and good people and fun stuff.  (On top of hectic works!)   I mean you always come across as you are approaching it pretty chill.   You take things so well in stride, and don't seem to overly worry about much!   It's sooooo different from my brain and way about things.   I would love to be more Jarric-like in the future!

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, fearless 2.0 said:

giphy.gif

Why thank you

On 8/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, Starpuck said:

Oh no no!  You sound busy as heck!   But in that good, life fulfilling kind of way- with a wonderful routine, and good people and fun stuff.  (On top of hectic works!)   I mean you always come across as you are approaching it pretty chill.   You take things so well in stride, and don't seem to overly worry about much!   It's sooooo different from my brain and way about things.   I would love to be more Jarric-like in the future!

Aww, thank you. I choose to be positive about things when I can. When something bothers me and it's a big deal I do something about it. If I don't want to do something about it it's clearly not a big deal, so I forget about it. I also choose to take things at face value and ignore subtext. Don't worry about that which you cannot control is basically my philosophy on life.

No to say that I don't get wound up about stuff, but if it's not important then I try not to reinforce that frustration it by talking about it here.

• Like 3

Week 3 Day 3 stats

Running: 1/4

Hangboarding: 1/2

Rolling: 2/3

Brushing: 2/7

Drawing: 2/4

Wow this week's going quickly! Tuesday WW made a slow cooked chicken and chorizo Spanish thing for dinner, and I chilled out, did some drawing and my foam rolling.

Wednesday morning's Crossfit was squats - worked up to 85kg x 6, 77.5kg x 8, 70kg x 10 and 62.5kg x 12 (~187#, ~171#, ~154# and ~138#). Then we had yoke carries, which again I stayed conservative on working up to 125kg for 100ft (~275# for ~30m).

When I got home I attempted hangboarding. I couldn't do much of anything without my left middle finger hurting, so I only did a tiny bit, but I'm counting that for challenge purposes.

At lunch time I went out for a 10 minute run to try out my new shoes, which turned into a 15 minute run. I'm going from a 8mm drop to a 4mm drop and an even lighter shoe, so I'm going to need to get used to them gradually to avoid breaking myself.

Yesterday evening I worked late, and then cooked a Japanese-y prawn and rice dish with edamame beans, spring onions, radishes and black sesame seeds. We tried to watch some Questing Time but Twitch was being fucky so we switch over to some of the charity streams that D&D Beyond have been running - an all clerics one-shot and an all-artificer one-shot.

I didn't do any rolling last night, I stayed up a little late (only 10.30, but still later than normal) and I didn't brush my teeth. I think working late had a knock-on effect of me wanting time to unwind and wanting to push back against my goals. I can't quite explain it, but that's my best answer for why that happened. I also had a conversation about my career with one of our company directors in the day, which is in preparation for a much bigger conversation next week, so maybe that's playing on my mind? It's all good stuff, it just might mean big changes.

This morning I ran to Crossfit. We started off building to a 'heavy' snatch, which in my case was 35kg (~77#). I feel like I need a lot more snatch practice to really get the technique down. I also find power snatches much easier, but chose to do full snatches today to work on them.

After that we had a tough little 10 minute AMRAP: 6 chest to bar, 8 box jumps, 10 box step-ups. I did the box jumps at 24" (602.4mm), and using the same box had 2 x 15kg (~33#) dumbbells for the step ups. The step ups were by far the hardest bit to be honest! I got through 4 rounds and 1 rep.

I did some foam rolling at lunch time, which actually means I've hit my goal for the week already. I'm going to keep on with it though; more can only be better here!

Tonight is D&D. I'm hoping that our GM will have set up my new Urah token I drew. Hopefully this session will be the chariot race, but who knows with how much we mess about and avoid the plot!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Jarric said:

At lunch time I went out for a 10 minute run to try out my new shoes, which turned into a 15 minute run. I'm going from a 8mm drop to a 4mm drop and an even lighter shoe, so I'm going to need to get used to them gradually to avoid breaking myself.

Yes, please!  Anytime you change something like that in a shoe fit/construction it is wise to avoid breaking one's self. Good plan!!!  

So many good things going on here!!!  Love it

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Terra said:

Yes, please!  Anytime you change something like that in a shoe fit/construction it is wise to avoid breaking one's self. Good plan!!!  

So many good things going on here!!!  Love it

Thanks! I did a bit of reading up on it, and it seems like cautious is definitely the way to go.

• Like 1

Week 3 Day 3 stats

Running: 2/4

Rolling: 3/3

D&D last night was fun. We didn't get to the chariot race because we were ambushed by some would-be assassins. They focussed the brunt of their anger on our warpriest Jemima (played by WW), so the rest of us came out virtually unscathed and took out the three assassins with ease. We kept one alive and interrogated him, learning very little information. Then we deposited him and the corpses of his companions with a very confused guard, who apparently wasn't used to strangers in the street approaching him with dead bodies.

The following morning the two bruisers (my bloodrager Urah and our barbarian Woody) headed out for breakfast with our wealthy noble patron, and on the way were attacked by a hieracosphinx, 4 fighters and some kind of mage. So next session will start with that terrifying combat, with the rest of the party quite a way away.

Hieracosphinx:

0597e30aa47108a9d97941b2d2912a35.jpg

After D&D I went straight to bed, having had a few beers, and did not do my teeth. I'd been feeling pretty weird all day mentally, and while D&D was a welcome distraction I don't think that had totally gone away by bedtime.

Crossfit this morning was a bodybuilding-esque workout - 3 sets of 12 on bench press, supplinated rows, push press, wide grip pullups, bicep curls and tricep pulldowns. It was quite good fun.

At lunchtime I went out for another 15 minute run in my new shoes - alternating 1 minute run with 1 minute walk again. I'm not counting these runs towards challenge goals, they're extra.

I've spent most of the day reviewing a lease for a client, which I actually quite enjoy but has been very time consuming. On that note I need to get back to working pretty sharpish.

Tonight we're going to the supermarket then chilling out, tomorrow is short run, bouldering and homemade pizza, and Sunday is long run, relaxation and maybe sorting the house out a bit.

• Like 5

On 8/21/2020 at 10:40 PM, Jarric said:

The following morning the two bruisers (my bloodrager Urah and our barbarian Woody) headed out for breakfast with our wealthy noble patron, and on the way were attacked by a hieracosphinx, 4 fighters and some kind of mage. So next session will start with that terrifying combat, with the rest of the party quite a way away.

What level are you guys?  All of the groups I am doing the players are all still quite low level, so this kind sounds like a death sentence :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

What level are you guys?  All of the groups I am doing the players are all still quite low level, so this kind sounds like a death sentence :D 

Level 8 now, so hopefully we'll be ok. Without knowing the capabilities of the enemy it's really hard to tell how screwed we are. Knowing that the adventure path will be designed for 4-6 players and that we've split the party, this could be a problem.

• Like 1

Week 3 Roundup

Running: 4/4

Splitting: 2/1

Rolling: 3/3

Running went well last week. I ran Saturday morning before bouldering, and ran to Hopalong's house on Sunday to pick up my car. He only lives 10 miles away, so it was shorter than the 3 hour run I should have done, but it was nice to go somewhere different and run with the purpose of getting somewhere.

My second hangboarding session would usually have been on Friday, but I didn't want to do it as I was bouldering on Saturday. Turned out to be a good plan as now my left middle finger is swollen and won't close properly, and I'm sure it would be even worse. No hangboarding now until I can close my left fist properly, whenever that may be.

Split stretches were good, and I even did an extra session instead of hangboarding.

Rolling I got out of the way early in the week, which is good because I did naff all in the latter part of the week.

Teeth brushing and drawing didn't really happen. Overall I've felt tired, irritable, and stressed this week, with bouts of anxiousness. I don't really know why, and I'm trying not to let it affect me, whilst at the same time recognising it and not beating myself up about it. It's hard to do, but there it is. Hoping for a less stressful week this week, and a considerably less stressful week 5 (last week of the month tends to be a bit tense with work, so next week should be better).

I had a really lovely day on Saturday. Went for a run for 5 and a bit miles, had breakfast, went bouldering with Hopalong and MG. Bouldering went well, and after that I went back to their place for homemade pizza in their pizza oven. I spent the afternoon drinking craft beer, eating pizza, smoking (that bit being less ideal), and chilling out with friends. I also didn't read any messages on my phone all day, which made a lovely change. We went home early-ish, snacked on stuff instead of having dinner, and watched Questing Time. It was not a day for completing goals, but it was a good day.

Sunday I ran 10 miles to pick up the car, and then found out that Hopalong's lodger's girlfriend tested positive for Coronavirus. So now WW and I are isolating for a couple of days until Hopalong and MG get their test results, and if they test positive we'll have to go out and get tested too.

We did a bit of cleaning the house in the afternoon, then I cooked a roast dinner (rather slowly as I turned the oven off by mistake halfway through!), and watched High Rollers.

No Crossfit this morning as I'm isolating, so I did 15 minutes of handstand practice and then about 45 minutes of yoga videos. It was a nice way to start the day.

I also had a longish conversation about my job role at work with one of the company directors, and it looks like there might be some exciting changes there over the next few months.

Tonight will be a chilled one. Tomorrow I need to figure out a home workout in the morning, and it's D&D in the evening.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

hope your friends tests are negative! ❤️

cant wait for you to tell us the exiting changes at work! :)

thanks for being here and giving us so much inspiration. I always like to come here and read!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

hope your friends tests are negative! ❤️

cant wait for you to tell us the exiting changes at work! :)

thanks for being here and giving us so much inspiration. I always like to come here and read!

giphy.gif

Thank you! Not sure how I'm an inspiration, but I'm pleased to bo one nonetheless :)

18 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Sounds rough, hopefully everyone will get negative test results.

16 hours ago, deftona said:

Ack, fingers crossed there's no 'rona.

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hoping for some positive news.  Wait, negative news?  Anyway, hoping you all are completely 'rona-less

14 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hoping for some good news, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone! Their test results came back negative this morning, so we're all clear. I've missed 2 gym sessions and WW's had 2 days off work, and now we're back to normal, so not too much of a hardship really.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Week 4 Day 1 stats

Running: 0/4

Hangboarding: 0/2

Splitting: 0/1

Rolling: 1/3

Brushing: 1/7

Drawing: 0/4

Worked a bit late last night. WW cooked chicken soup from a leftover roast chicken carcass we had. I did my foam rolling in front of the TV, did my teeth, and got to bed somewhere in the region of on time.

I woke up this morning and spent a bit of time reading e-mails and catching up on group chats before getting up for my workout. That turned out to be lucky, as I got a text from MG at half 6 saying their COVID test had come back negative. The meant I could leave the house, so I went out for a run instead of doing a home workout.

Went to the shop at lunchtime and bought beer for tonight's D&D session. It's the Rise of the Runelords group, and we're currently in the First World (Feywild/Wildwood/realm of crazy fey bullshit), but I suspect we'll be leaving to potentially get killed by an ancient white dragon before to long!

Planning the next few days:

• Crossfit Wednesday to Friday
  • Snooker Wednesday evening
  • D&D Thursday evening (Mummy's Mask group)
  • Climbing Saturday morning, after a medium length run
  • D&D Saturday DM'd by @DarK_RaideR with @Starpuck, @Raxie and @Wild Wolf - really excited about that! :D 
  • Run to break in my new race shoes Sunday morning
  • D&D Sunday - running my Lost Mine of Phandelver group
  • No plans for weekend evenings, other than watching Questing Time on Saturday, so that's when foam rolling needs to happen
  • Drawing should happen on lunch breaks at work
  • Hangboarding probably won't happen unless I manage to close my fist properly!
  • Split stretches will be tomorrow after Crossfit, and maybe Friday after Crossfit as well
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Jarric said:

Their test results came back negative this morning, so we're all clear. I've missed 2 gym sessions and WW's had 2 days off work, and now we're back to normal, so not too much of a hardship really.

Really happy to hear that!

• Like 1