Jarric - Back in the Saddle

Week 4 Day 2 stats

Running: 1/4

Hangboarding: 0/2

Splitting: 0/1

Rolling: 1/3

Brushing: 1/7

Drawing: 0/4

D&D last night was really fun. We had a rare situation where we knew what we were preparing to face with lots of time to plan. That was because we'd faced this ancient white dragon once before, and talked our way out of trouble because it was about to kill us. Now we were going back for revenge, and a shot at stealing its hoard. Preparations in spoiler, for they are long and nerdy:

Spoiler
  • Our ranger, Linnie (played by WW), would cast Protection from Cold on all of us, reducing all cold damage by 30 points on every attack
  • Our witch, Roanne, would cast false life on 4 of the party for some temporary hp
  • I would cast false life on the rest of the party, using a wand as I don't have the spell
  • I would cast remove fear on everyone, again using a wand
  • Roanne would cast Fey Form III, turning herself into a tiny (technically diminutive) ice sprite
  • I would case Form of the Dragon on my snake companion Loki, and then cast Enlarge Person on him, turning him into a large brass dragon
  • Roanne would prepare a lot of greater dispel magics, as last time we faced this dragon he had cast Protection from Fire on himself
  • Roanne also purchased some rare ingredients to help her spells bypass the dragon's magic resistance
  • Finally, we bought an extra bag of holding. If we died it wouldn't matter how we spent our money, and if we didn't we'd make more than that back with the dragon's hoard, so either way it seemed like a good thing to do

After over an hour and a half of preparation we finally shifted to the correct plane of existence, and then teleported to the dragon's lair. And all of that preparation paid off, we managed to bombard him over the course of a fairly tense combat and eventually he was destroyed. And then we got a ton of cash and magic items, it was a good time!

Dinner last night was gnocchi with our home grown tomatoes, plus courgette, garlic and cheese. It was a quick and easy meal which was exactly what we needed. Between D&D beers and getting to bed late I forgot to brush my teeth, which is rather annoying, but there we are.

This morning was Crossfit. After about 20 minutes of trying I got my first ever bar muscle up! Very pleased with that.

That was followed by 'Helen': 3 rounds for time - 12 pullups, 21 American swings, 400m run. I Rx'd the workout with a 24kg (~53#) kettlebell, and finished in 13:33. I was the last to finish by a fair way, but also the only person to Rx it (and the only person doing full pullups in fact), so I'm ok with it being slow.

Lunch today was more leftover chicken soup - it's really very good! I didn't do any drawing or anything else on my lunch break. Tonight is snooker with Hopalong, a late dinner, and hopefully an early night!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

That was some intense prep, finally glad to see a dragon encounter taken seriously.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Holy crap I’ve missed a lot. Did you ever tell us what the perfect amount of beer for D&D is?

Pretty sure the answer is "not enough"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:46 PM, iatetheyeti said:

That's amazing!

Thank you! I'm very pleased :D

On 8/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Holy crap I’ve missed a lot. Did you ever tell us what the perfect amount of beer for D&D is?

For WW and I, for a 3 hour D&D session, I reckon 9x330ml cans (which I'll usually have 6 of). So about 3 litres, 5 9/16 UK pints, or 6 13/16 US pints. Based on an alcohol content of 4-4.5% by volume.

That's enough to have a bit of fun, but whilst still being able to focus on the game/play my character and without getting a hangover the following day.

Of course there's a lot of variables, changing the session length by an hour or the beer strength by a percentage point changes everything.

I feel like I may be taking this answer far too seriously... :lol:

On 8/29/2020 at 8:46 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

That was some intense prep, finally glad to see a dragon encounter taken seriously.

Pretty sure the answer is "not enough"

Yeah, I think it helped that the last time we faced this thing it damn near killed us, so we knew we couldn't just wing it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I ran Nuts Challenge yesterday. Planning to put together a proper race report for it for you guys, but just wanted to say I hit the 4 laps (28km / 17.5miles) I was aiming for! Took me a shade under 7 hours and I'm feeling a bit beaten up this morning, but really pleased to have done it!

I also owe you guys a proper update, and a challenge wrap-up, which I hope to do today or tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

22 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I ran Nuts Challenge yesterday. Planning to put together a proper race report for it for you guys, but just wanted to say I hit the 4 laps (28km / 17.5miles) I was aiming for! Took me a shade under 7 hours and I'm feeling a bit beaten up this morning, but really pleased to have done it!

AMAZING! 

• Thanks 1

Challenge Wrap-Up

I didn't really get on here to update in week 5. I basically dropped Crossfit, and spent my mornings doing yoga in preparation for Nuts Challenge. It was definitely the right call, and I'm glad I went into that feeling fairly strong.

Running - 15XP

Spoiler

Run 4 times each week according to my running plan. I might have a race at the end of week 5 if it goes ahead, so keeping my fingers crossed for that as I've spent the last 6 months training towards it! This is a goal because as my weekends get busier and my weekend evenings get boozier there's a temptation to skip runs (I am in fact skipping a run whilst writing this).

I'm currently running to and from Crossfit a couple of days per week, but if I don't get on with that I might switch to a mid-week run of about 8 miles, and then I'll be doing 3 sessions per week but the same mileage. We'll see how it goes; total mileage is more important than precise structure.

15/20 (3, 3, 4, 3, 2) = 11XP

Weirdly the runs I usually missed were on the weekend, rather than mid-week. I guess that weekends are getting busier!

More importantly though, I completed 4 laps of Nuts Challenge at the end of this challenge! That was one of my 2 main racing goals for the year, so I'm awarding myself a bonus 20XP for hitting a big goal.

Hangboarding - 10XP

Spoiler

Hangboard twice per week. I've done quite a lot of hangboarding over the summer and got a lot better at it, and I think that's helped me return to bouldering without having lost too much ability. I don't want to lose that ability just because I'm now going bouldering, as I can only climb once per week most weeks, so lets keep it going. Planning to do this immediately after Crossfit providing the session hasn't been too tough on my grip.

3/10 (2, 0, 1, 0, 0) = 3XP

I injured my finger, and skipping this goal was a smart choice. Nuff said.

Splitting - 10XP

Spoiler

Split stretches once per week. I don't think I'll ever actually be able to get the splits, but this seems to help with the issues in my hips and generally being more flexible in these positions can't be a bad thing.

4/5 (1, 1, 1, 1, 0) = 8XP

This was all pretty good. Even on the week I missed it I did lots of those king of stretches in yoga sessions. This should stay, it works well.

Rolling - 10XP

Spoiler

Foam roll my legs at least 3 times per week. This is another thing that really helps with my hip issues, so I need to do it. Generally expecting it to be in front of the TV of an evening, when I've got evenings free from playing D&D or doing other stuff.

10/15 (3, 2, 3, 1, 1) = 6XP

I'm still convinced this helps me. Now I just need to convince myself to do it of an evening, instead of skipping it!

Brushing - 10XP

Spoiler

Brush my teeth twice per day, and clean between them once per day. I've learned over the years that whether or not I brush my teeth is an indicator of the kind of place I'm in mentally. If I'm stressed or depressed I don't brush, and when I feel good and in control I do. I'm not entirely sure what to do with this information, or whether I can reverse the cause and effect to feel more in control of my life by brushing my teeth, but I don't want them all to fall out so it's a reasonable goal anyway. 

17/35 (6, 7, 2, 1, 1) = 4XP

This started off well, and then absolutely tanked. I've got a real mental block about this for some reason. Not doing it coincides with weeks where I was feeling stressed and mentally drained, so I'm sure there's a weird psychological link there. Weeks 1 and 2 show that I can do it though, so I'm just going to keep trying.

Drawing - 10XP

Spoiler

Draw stuff 4 times per week. I've started doing actual drawing lessons from Draw A Box, and I'm also just drawing stuff for fun. I find it quite good for clearing my head, and quite relaxing, so I think being consistent with this would help me mentally. It will hopefully also make me better at drawing stuff! No set requirement of when I do this, or whether I do lessons or just random stuff, this goal is purely about doing the thing.

10/20 (3, 4, 2, 0, 1) = 5XP

Much like brushing, as I get stressed and run out of mental energy, this gets harder to do. Which is ironic, because I'm sure it helps me much more than mindlessly playing games on my phone, and that's what I find myself doing with free time when I'm stressed. Maybe I need something more focussed next challenge, rather than just a number of sessions. I am having ideas, but I'll keep them to myself until they're fully formed.

Next challenge will be a lot more of the same I think, but I'm also going to be looking at cutting weight (the meta-plan being to cut weight next challenge, and then bulk for the two after, just to experiment with the process for now).

All that XP also bumps me up to level 13, which is nice. Off to change my signature!

• Like 2