GoodDoug digs in

GoodDoug

No story right now, just want to make sure I get this in.

Thinking back to what has worked before, I am going back to tracking calories, while giving myself leeway to have days where I don't track. Also, pushing myself on exercise has been good and running seems to really help. I don't have access to weights right now, so that is out of the equation. Also, making space for creative time and space for family time has been helpful, so I'm going to do that as well. Also, I think I might be able to get back into gardening at least a little, and that really helped me when I was doing it heavily a few years ago. This past week I've done a ton of digging and moving of dirt, I'm sore, but in a good way so I want to incorporate some of that in my challenge as well.

Food:

Get back to tracking, track every day

Increase protein, trying for 125g of Protein each day

Exercise:

Fill my rings on my watch, doubling the move and exercise goals every day

Pull up training at least twice a week

Move dirt and rocks for at least 5 hours every week (no, I won't come to your yard and do it ;)

Run at least twice a week, preferably thrice

Mental/Emotional:

Continue reading every day

Continue working on juggling every day

Work on handstands at least 3 times a week (yeah, this is more mental now as I just need to do it)

Take time to spend doing crafty or cooking stuff with the family

Continue my Duolingo streak

Creative:

Get back on the writing bandwagon, write at least 3 times per week

Draw out plans for the backyard and begin to execute on those plans (right now it is a big expanse of dirt with a couple of trees on the edges and some trenches I've dug for drainage)

Start drawing at least once per week

That's it. It sounds like quite a lot, but most of it is maintaining old habits while trying to get back into a few habits I let fall aside.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I love everything about this!  You do so many things that I love, or would love to get into.  

Everything sounds solidly planned.   I think you have a great approach on this.

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

What are you reading at the mo?

I'm currently reading The Geography of Genius which is an interesting read. Once that is done, I've promised my youngest that I will start the Series of Unfortunate Events 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

9 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

I'm currently reading The Geography of Genius which is an interesting read. Once that is done, I've promised my youngest that I will start the Series of Unfortunate Events 

The Series of Unfortunate Events was a fun read (if your sense of humor is a bit dark😀)

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following along man, looks like a great setup you've got.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 0  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 0  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Muscle Wizard: Origins

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Quick update:

Yesterday was a bit of a rest day. I did end up doing juggling and a little handstand work. I also got my new balance board yesterday and played with that a bit. Lots of small muscles getting worked that aren't used to it. It's fun and a bit of a core workout as well. Full of win!

My wrist has been bothering me since doing some yard work this weekend: I twisted it funny while using a 6foot long digging bar to get up some buried rebar. It isn't keeping me from doing much, but I feel it especially with handstands and it affects my juggling a little as sometimes my right hand doesn't work the way I want it to. Sigh, getting old sucks.

Food hasn't been terrible, but I haven't tracked the past two days. I have started tracking today and hope to have a better handle on it today. I am hoping to go running tonight, and might do a little more yard work today.

Reading is going well, and I did some drawing last night and a bit of writing this morning. Overall, not a bad start to the challenge.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Nice update.  Yardwork, exercise, drawing... all things I like! :D     I am thinking of getting some kind of gentle wrist rehab strength thing.     It's been funny since I yoinked it early in Cov-season with those yard bags.   Mostly better, but holding weight and rotating is still off.   If you find something on those lines, be sure to share!  (I'll do the same.)

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

gotta get back to you

I see your still do the juggling and the rings...

and Hey!

your drawing, too?

thats so cool!

thats become THE thing with me recently.

tell us a little about it.  when did you start drawing?  have you posted stuff here?  if you haven't you should!

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Quick update on the week:

Food - Not terrible. Doing well at tracking and doing ok at keeping the protein up.

Exercise - The rings are being filled, I did one pull up workout, shooting to do another today or tomorrow (depends on my wrist). Haven't run yet, but I'm doing a bunch of other stuff, so maybe it is okay to slack this week? I may run tomorrow. Yardwork has been done and then some. I'll probably do more this weekend as well. But it is tweaking my back and wrists a little. But it really helps get my rings filled!

Mental - This has been great, I've been reading, juggling and practicing handstands at least a little every day. I have a 256 day streak in Duolingo as of now. Need to spend time with the family doing some stuff... that will be a focus for the weekend.

Creative - Did some writing this week, did some drawing this week and I intend to do at least a little more of both. Making plans for the garden, but having differences of opinion with the darling wife as to what we want. We'll figure it out.

Made two types of bread yesterday. Finally got my starter happy again and part of that was overfeeding it for a day. I thought, "Which bread do I make a double batch of? Sandwich rolls or Cinnamon swirl brioche?" When the answer was obvious, make both! Just one batch of each. This brioche was the best one yet by far, somehow dense and light at the same time. Sweet and sour and spongy. I have to be careful to not just eat a slice every time I walk through the kitchen (or just not walk through the kitchen at all today)

All in all, doing okay. Sailing into the weekend with a sore wrist and lots of energy.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Quick update:

My wrist still hurts, but I've been working through it with stretches and not doing the pull-up practice I'd like to be doing. I'll get to it, just not right now.

I restarted GMB Elements and it is fun. I like being back on an every day schedule for it, though it does take a while to get through it. I have been getting up in the morning before the family and making it work.

I'm hit and miss with the tracking. I'm trying not to push it, but need to find a way to stay accountable and not just eat junk all the time.

Otherwise doing pretty well. Hope you all are doing well, too.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Quick update:

Wrist == ouch, but totally bearable. Just need to baby it a little.

Food intake, not terrible. Could be better, but I'm trying to be chill about it right now. Save up my spoons for doing a good job later I guess

Exercise, doing really well. Even with the wrist, I can do a lot. Haven't done the running or pull-up work I thought I would be doing but doing plenty of yard work. Started the morning today with GMB Elements, then realized I needed to move a bunch of really heavy flag stones (heavy as in 350-450 pounds each) with minimal help and a rickety old wagon to make room for the electrician fixing and then moving an outlet in the yard. Ended up being 6 stones in all, each of which I had to do a half range of motion deadlift at an awkward angle... needless to say with leverage and some good old grunting I got it. Though I am thoroughly wiped. Haven't done weights in a while and this definitely feels like I did after a really heavy lifting day.

I did find myself working stupidly a couple of times... starting trying to lift with just my arms to get a stone tilted up onto the wagon... then I stopped, realized what I was doing and used my legs and it went up.

Creativity hasn't been bad, been reading a lot, juggling a lot... but I'm not doing handstands right now to not put any more pressure on my wrist for now.

The kids have started online classes, I made breakfast for them the past two days for each of their first days: French toast with homemade sourdough the first day and sourdough blueberry pancakes the second. Holy cow those were good. I winged it on the pancakes, and they turned out great and we didn't have too many. We ran out before we could fill up and that was a win.

Trying to keep up with everyone's threads, thnx for jumping into mine!

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Catching up after my trip, and it sounds like you are doing great! 

Yardwork, for me, has always counted as 'move days' - and if you're doing a lot of that but not running, I really don't see that as a miss.  It's just a relabel. :)

Good job listening to your body on the wrist.   Keep up that good work of being wise about healing!

Your food always sounds so darn good.  Geez. Louise.

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Quick update:

Food: better

Exercise: Doing okay, if not what I promised at the beginning

Mental/Emotional: Surprisingly okay, though I need to get out of a funk

Creative: Doing okay, but need to do better

Here is the situation - There are a couple of fires around us, the one to the north of us is pretty close and the skies here are dark brown and everything is covered with a layer of ash if it sits outside half an hour. So, no running. But, I've been doing GMB Elements and a little yard work. I am doing the yard work because I am hoping to get the new garden beds done soon. Our backyard is finally a completely blank slate, and my wife has somehow relented to raised beds. She will take some for her succulent plants and I will take some for veggies, and we will both have some for cutting flowers. There is an order we kinda need to follow: I need to first fill the big holes I dug; then I need to grade the yard... in particular where the raised beds will go; then I need to build the beds; then fill the beds... while grading the rest of the yard (basically, moving dirt from everywhere else to the beds.) Once we have that, the other things can go in any order. If I want to get to a good place before the rains start, I need to have the space for the beds mostly graded and the beds built and filled. So, I'm focusing on that now.

Random segue! I feel my wrist is quite a bit better so today I kicked up to handstands against the wall. I didn't need the wall as I was able to do a couple of quick 5-8 second holds. I need to remember to breathe when I do it, but felt really good that I hadn't lost as much as I previously thought.

Hope this finds you all well. And I am hoping we can breather freely soon.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Recap:

What a weird week.

Food has been all over the place. I've stopped tracking for now, as I feel like I need one less thing to worry about doing right now... conserving spoons for bigger stuff. But I've had some days of good eating and some days of not so good eating, but nothing at either extreme.

Exercise has been good. GMB Elements week 2 was done and I enjoyed it. I did a little gardening, but only when the Air Quality Index wasn't through the roof. I'm considering sweeping ashes off of everything part of gardening. At one point, it looked like grey and black snow was falling here. So far all of our friends are safe and now we just wait to see what happens next.

My mental emotional state has been okay. Trying to keep doing stuff, but also trying to keep flexible and allow myself to just veg out to video games or tv if that is what I want to do (started "Warrior Nun" on Netflix because the name sounded ridiculous and I find that I really like it. It is a perfect blend of serious and silly and it is keeping me guessing.) Still reading and doing handstand and juggling, just not as much.

Creative has been lagging a bit. I'd like to spend more time writing and a little time drawing. Maybe this week I can find some time for that. Work is a little slow right now, we are at that weird time where our stuff is done, and now we are waiting to start the next stuff... and waiting to see if any issues pop up that need our attention. It is nice, but also a pain. Some of the future stuff I am supposed to be looking at is waiting on people that are busy fixing issues. 

All in all, weird times, but I am powering through it all

Healers Brigade

Current