Jupiter Tries Again

Jupiter

Hey nerds. Still feeling pretty burned out from work so I'll be sticking to the bare minimum again this challenge, just refocusing on consistency. Some things dropped off from last time like tracking and bed time because I think I've got those pretty much down again, so now it's time to focus on everything else. Anyway, goals:  

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets 1x week (1 set 10 pound dumbbell, 1 set 8 pound dumbbell)  

- Yoga between 10 and 30 minutes 2x a week

Nutrition:

- Fruit 1x 3-4 days a week

- Veggies 1x 3-4 days a week

Intellectual:

- Revise 1-2 pages a day, 5 days a week

Misc:

- Read 30 minutes a day

- Cook 2x a week

They haven't really changed all that much, just some slight tweaking to account for the burnout (hopefully). Also taking a break from the novel for a few weeks. I feel like I'm too close to it at this point and need some time away to get some perspective. I'll still be fiddling with it a bit here and there but otherwise I need to focus on something else instead for right now. So I'm hoping to revise an old short story that I've had sitting around forever, fix it up and hopefully start submitting it to magazines by the end of the challenge. 

Anyway, that's all I've got. Happy challenge everyone. 

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 4
2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Burnout is the worst! Take it easy, you'll get through it :D

It totally is. Thanks. :)

13 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Good luck with the short story revisions!

Thanks! :) 

• Like 4

Burnout sucks, taking a step back to recalibrate and focus on what you need to to get your head back in the game is definitely a good idea. Looks like a solid challenge overall!

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Your challenge looks great, you've got a really nice balance of goals. And also

15 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Some things dropped off from last time like tracking and bed time because I think I've got those pretty much down again

congrats on your progress! That's awesome.

Keep it up!

• Like 3
On 8/2/2020 at 12:17 PM, Jupiter said:

So I'm hoping to revise an old short story that I've had sitting around forever, fix it up and hopefully start submitting it to magazines by the end of the challenge. 

This sounds awesome! :)

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

23 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Burnout sucks, taking a step back to recalibrate and focus on what you need to to get your head back in the game is definitely a good idea. Looks like a solid challenge overall!

17 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Your challenge looks great, you've got a really nice balance of goals. And also congrats on your progress! That's awesome.

Keep it up!

13 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Burnout stinks, but you'll get through it. Great job on listening to what your body/mind is telling you.

Following along. 😊

7 hours ago, Defining said:

This sounds awesome! :)

Thanks guys!! :) 

Work today was crazy as usual. I had to get a couple of files reassigned and I'm behind on my emails by a good two days again. Also, my co-workers have now started calling me about their files after hours because I'm no longer answering emails after hours. And let me tell you, it's getting old really fast. Anyway, here are my stats:

- Did strength training 2 sets 

- Had 1 serving of fruit and veggies

- Revised 1 page

For strength training, I meant to use the 10 pound dumbbell on every exercise for the first set and didn't quite make it, but I was pretty close. I'm also finding that it's easier to do a workout after I've eaten rather than before, so I may need to switch a few things around in my routine. And for revisions, I was aiming for 2 pages, but only ended up getting through 1 (I worked on it over the weekend too so now I'm on page 4). I feel like the beginning is a tad too long and I spent most of my time trying to figure out where to cut rather than on actual revisions. Of course, now it feels choppy so I need to go back over this part again. Also felt a bit disconnected from the story today, but I muddled through. 

Anyway, not a bad start to the challenge. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

And for revisions, I was aiming for 2 pages, but only ended up getting through 1 (I worked on it over the weekend too so now I'm on page 4). I feel like the beginning is a tad too long and I spent most of my time trying to figure out where to cut rather than on actual revisions. Of course, now it feels choppy so I need to go back over this part again.

Editing takes a tremendous amount of skill and is totally different from initial writing phases. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to let go of things that aren't helping the narrative, and then even more practice to get everything smoothed out again once you've made your cuts. You're already doing a great job just by being willing to try -- so many authors I know are totally married to the words they put on the page, like any kind of editing is sacrificing the purity of their art or something. Being professional about your writing isn't easy, but it's definitely worthwhile, and it will make you a better writer. Stick with it, and let us know if you ever want another pair of eyes on anything! Sometimes outside perspective can help.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Work today was crazy as usual. I had to get a couple of files reassigned and I'm behind on my emails by a good two days again. Also, my co-workers have now started calling me about their files after hours because I'm no longer answering emails after hours. And let me tell you, it's getting old really fast.

Ah, yes, this is annoying. Can you turn it off? Or do you have the same phone number for your private life?

Anyway, good job on increasing the weight in your strength training, and a successful first day of the challenge in general :).

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Also, my co-workers have now started calling me about their files after hours because I'm no longer answering emails after hours

Nope. Boundaries. They're crossing that line. Work culture is getting out of control. They expect you to be on the Clock 24/7.

That's insane!

Great job on your challenge so far!

• Like 6

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

so many authors I know are totally married to the words they put on the page, like any kind of editing is sacrificing the purity of their art or something. Being professional about your writing isn't easy, but it's definitely worthwhile, and it will make you a better writer.

Ohhh, it does sound familiar though, for academic writings. Not so much the purity of my art though, but more like a sort of emotional investment I have because something cost me X hours to research and word properly. And then I have to delete it? Or make it shorter? My heart :D I always have files almost as long as my assignments with paragraphs I edited out because I don't want to let go of them completely haha

Good luck, and lots of calming/healing thoughts, Jupiter. It's a lot easier to just bug others than to think of ways to solve problems yourself... And stand your ground as well, so everyone can have a healthy work environment? Idk. Do not know enough about the situation but you ARE doing the right thing.

• Like 3

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

my co-workers have now started calling me about their files after hours because I'm no longer answering emails after hours. And let me tell you, it's getting old really fast

2 hours ago, Chesire said:

😡  no.  swat on the nose

^^^^ THIS. Unless your job specifically entails you being reachable by phone off the clock for some reason, you are OFF. THE. CLOCK

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

You need a phone vault lol work is done? Oh... Phone goes in ye old vault. Also I'm not sure if your work does this already but if I'm getting bugged after hours then I'd expect my work to cover my phone bill 🤣🤣 (Exactly the reason my work pays for our phones.... In case they need to contact us after hours but they have actual boundaries so when it does happen I know it's serious)

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

22 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Editing takes a tremendous amount of skill and is totally different from initial writing phases. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to let go of things that aren't helping the narrative, and then even more practice to get everything smoothed out again once you've made your cuts. You're already doing a great job just by being willing to try -- so many authors I know are totally married to the words they put on the page, like any kind of editing is sacrificing the purity of their art or something. Being professional about your writing isn't easy, but it's definitely worthwhile, and it will make you a better writer. Stick with it, and let us know if you ever want another pair of eyes on anything! Sometimes outside perspective can help.

Thanks! I don't know, I feel like I'm the opposite LOL. I'm very overly critical of my writing and I always feel like I can make it better. And thank you, I really appreciate that! :) 

22 hours ago, Waanie said:

Ah, yes, this is annoying. Can you turn it off? Or do you have the same phone number for your private life?

Anyway, good job on increasing the weight in your strength training, and a successful first day of the challenge in general :).

No, I have work calls forwarded to my cell since we're not back in the office yet. My bosses told us someone in our building got COVID I think last month so they're being extra cautious still. 

15 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Nope. Boundaries. They're crossing that line. Work culture is getting out of control. They expect you to be on the Clock 24/7.

That's insane!

Great job on your challenge so far!

Oh goodness, it really is, and yeah, pretty much. Or at least it certainly feels like it. 

12 hours ago, Aθena said:

Ohhh, it does sound familiar though, for academic writings. Not so much the purity of my art though, but more like a sort of emotional investment I have because something cost me X hours to research and word properly. And then I have to delete it? Or make it shorter? My heart :D I always have files almost as long as my assignments with paragraphs I edited out because I don't want to let go of them completely haha

Good luck, and lots of calming/healing thoughts, Jupiter. It's a lot easier to just bug others than to think of ways to solve problems yourself... And stand your ground as well, so everyone can have a healthy work environment? Idk. Do not know enough about the situation but you ARE doing the right thing.

LOL yeah I totally get that. There are some parts of my novel, and even a few whole scenes, that it killed me to have to remove because I loved them so much. But, if it no longer works, then it's got to go.

Thanks, just trying to do my best to get through all this craziness. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Chesire said:

😡  no.  swat on the nose

LOL! Somehow I don't think I'd get away with that at work. :D 

3 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

^^^^ THIS. Unless your job specifically entails you being reachable by phone off the clock for some reason, you are OFF. THE. CLOCK

giphy.gif

LOL, love the gif. And yup, I agree. 

1 hour ago, Defining said:

I agree with them ^^^ but that gif gives me anxiety 😂

But yeah, work calls outside of work hours is no bueno.

LOL yeah, definitely not. 

55 minutes ago, Rookie said:

You need a phone vault lol work is done? Oh... Phone goes in ye old vault. Also I'm not sure if your work does this already but if I'm getting bugged after hours then I'd expect my work to cover my phone bill 🤣🤣 (Exactly the reason my work pays for our phones.... In case they need to contact us after hours but they have actual boundaries so when it does happen I know it's serious)

Nope, my work doesn't do that although that would be nice LOL. These people have no real concept of boundaries. If they're working late at night then they think everyone else should be doing that too. 

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for all the comments! I appreciate it! :) 

Onward to today. Got through one day's worth of emails at work so I'm only behind by about a day now, but I still had to have more files reassigned. They are churning them out fast and it's impossible to keep up with at this point. I've also been told I need to do better about getting files done on time this month, so my file review at the end of the month should be interesting. Anyway, it's late and I'm falling asleep so quick stats update:

- Had 1 serving of fruit, no veggies though

- Revised 4 pages

- Cooked dinner

- Read for an hour (yesterday)

Meant to actually cook something healthy for dinner but only ended up making grilled cheese. Not the healthiest, but at least I'm keeping up the cooking habit. Revisions today were easier. I went back to the beginning and worked on the first 4 pages. I realized last night after I went to bed that I was trying to focus on too much, and maybe that was why I was struggling yesterday. I tried to make big revision changes and focus on the small line by line changes at the same time, which is...not a good way to revise I've found. So I focused only on the big changes today and things went better. I was hoping to get through another 2 pages, but didn't quite make it. 

Anyway, that's all I've got for tonight. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1
7 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Got through one day's worth of emails at work so I'm only behind by about a day now, but I still had to have more files reassigned. They are churning them out fast and it's impossible to keep up with at this point. I've also been told I need to do better about getting files done on time this month, so my file review at the end of the month should be interesting.

Hmmm....how long do you spend on e-mails? Do you have a designated time frame? (Ex. I will check e-mails from 9-9:30 am & again from 1-1:30 pm) When you check them; do you batch them into folders according to what file/project they go to? I think this is a good idea because:

1.Having designated e-mail check times & letting co-workers know that you're only checking e-mails during that time period will force them into either condensing their thoughts into one e-mail or solving their own issues (in theory).

2. Batching e-mails into their corresponding file/project folders will enable you to look at the e-mails relevant to the project you're working on in that moment; thus speeding up production.

Also: send out end-of-day project/file status updates to anyone involved before you leave/quit work. Maybe they'll stop bugging you aafter hours then.

• Like 5

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

3 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Also: send out end-of-day project/file status updates to anyone involved before you leave/quit work. Maybe they'll stop bugging you aafter hours then.

Oh! Taking a mental note haha. Like this one. Though knowing how detailed I am and depending on the amount of projects, I might have to designate about an hour just for this task lol. 

• Like 4

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

12 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Hmmm....how long do you spend on e-mails? Do you have a designated time frame? (Ex. I will check e-mails from 9-9:30 am & again from 1-1:30 pm) When you check them; do you batch them into folders according to what file/project they go to? I think this is a good idea because:

1.Having designated e-mail check times & letting co-workers know that you're only checking e-mails during that time period will force them into either condensing their thoughts into one e-mail or solving their own issues (in theory).

2. Batching e-mails into their corresponding file/project folders will enable you to look at the e-mails relevant to the project you're working on in that moment; thus speeding up production.

Those are really good suggestions. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will work for me LOL.

1) Eh, I don't think I'd be able to get away with that. People would squawk big time. Anyway, I'm technically supposed to answer every email as soon as they come in, but if I did that I know I'd never get any work done, so I compromise by checking/responding every half hour to hour. And people still squawk. 

2) If I was all caught up, I think organizing like this would work. I was doing it for a while, until our volume exploded and I started getting so many files that I just couldn't keep up with it. Now I only keep the emails that show changes that need to be made and delete the others, and if it's not right in front of me I'll forget what file needs to be changed when. 

3) Eh, not really. I send them status updates all throughout the day until I'm done with the file, and still they call me about last minute changes. So, yeah. I wish these worked though, and thank you for suggesting. :) 

Rough day at work today, at least in the morning. Apparently I didn't answer my emails fast enough because I got 4 emails from 3 different people about the same issue within 20 minutes. This happened on 2 different files pretty much at the same time. Fun stuff. By 10am I wanted to throttle people. The afternoon was quieter though thankfully. Anyway, stats:

- Did yoga for 10 minutes

- Had 1 serving of fruit and veggies

- No revisions, but I did finish the new outline for the short story, which is looking more like a novelette now but we'll see. I really wanted to shorten it, but it might end up being longer instead. On a fun note, though, I had to do some quick research on 90's music for the story and got to listen to some old favorites. For research, of course. ;) 

- No reading yet but I plan to read some before bed. 

Onward to Friday Eve. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2