Does anyone here use a standing desk?

2012-13, I took a sabbatical from my boring job and spent a year running a market stall.

I loved that job. Chatting to people all day, and less trouble. It was great fun, but game over when I met my other half and I  decided to buy a house and sell the boat I'd been living on previously.

It sounds odd, but one of the things I really miss is standing up all day. I'm rejigging my office and was thinking I might try and replicate it with a standing desk.

Has anyone tried one? How have you found it?

• Like 1

I have one in my office and I like it a lot. How much I use it depends on what shoes I'm wearing and what I'm working on. I miss it, now that I'm working from home. It does help my back.

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

On 8/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, cd667 said:

Has anyone tried one? How have you found it?

I have a sit-stand desk in the office I was officially banned from entering in mid-March. In my temporary-except-it-has-become-semi-permanent home office, I have a regular sitting desk. I miss the ability to alternate between sitting and standing more than I miss the actual standing.

One thing you need to consider before investing in a standing desk: Standing in front of a desk for an entire day is vastly different from being on your feet in a market stall all day.

In the stall, you were not stationary for the entire day. You moved back and forth within the stall, or between the stall and wherever your restock supply was (a truck or a shed, maybe?). You may also have walked around to the front of the stall to assist a customer or just to converse. You're not going to be able to replicate all that just by standing still inside an office. This doesn't mean that a standing desk, or a sit-stand desk, is a bad idea. Just make sure your expectations are realistic.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I know I'm late to the convo but I also have a standing desk - it's actually a sit stand desk that just sits on a desk or table to hold my computer screens. When I want to stand I just pull the lever and raise it up. When I'm done or want to sit I just move it back down. It was portable enough that I could bring it home now that I'm working from home for a bit. 

I'm gradually improving the amount of time I can stand at my desk during the day. For the longest time I've sat during my full time job so this feels really good to move around more during the day.  

2-Tier-Sit-Stand-Desk-Laptop-Riser-83cm-Black-1-min.jpg

I have a similar desk to pixie dust and I love it so much. I pair it with an adjustable stall from ikea that I can perch on or put low down and sit. It wobbles a bit so also keeps me moving. I've found this set up has helped my shoulder pain a lot and I naturally shift about quite a lot throughout the day.

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

I now also have a similar desk to the one pictured above. My employer graciously offered to reimburse office furniture purchases, if they were necessary for ergonomics reasons. I'm typing this standing. I love my new desk. :) 

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50