• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

keep-your-chin-up-and-smile-ts-going-to-

Several of us are  participating in the NF chin up challenge. I thought it would be fun to post our goals here, and encourage one another. Even if you are not part of the NF challenge, but are working on chin ups or pull ups, we'd love to have you. The NF Chin challenge on Prime Fitness goes through  September 12th

https://prime.nerdfitness.com/chin-up-challenge/?fbclid=IwAR1a9cBU-hEE793feWqma7wVKlIqj4anXw98aziCbxV1h18IlDE3ZKWImso

• Like 2

I will start off. I can currently do 1, but have been stuck there forever (really, literally forever, 😁) I would like to have 2 solid chin ups. Also, I was not able to pass the benchmark of a 60 second unassisted hold, so I want to do that. Right now I can do a 40 second hold. By the end of the NF challenge (September 12,) I would like to be able to hold it for 60 seconds, with it maybe being a bit challenging , but not super hard (RPE 7-8)

• That's Metal 1

I'm not a prime member, but I'll play here if that's ok. I can't do any chin-ups but I'm working on getting bigger sets of negatives. I don't have a benchmark for unassisted hold, but I'll give that a try this week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm not a prime member, but I'll play here if that's ok. I can't do any chin-ups but I'm working on getting bigger sets of negatives. I don't have a benchmark for unassisted hold, but I'll give that a try this week.

Yes, that would be great if you played along.

• Like 1

Ooooh I’m in! I think I used to be capable of chin-ups when I was, like, 10 or 11 and spent hours climbing trees each day. Need that toughness back! 

I did the benchmark test and got to the 30 sec unassisted hang. Now have a few days of training in the books, although my setup (rings looped around the back deck) is not perfect! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I really want my chin-ups back and at least my bumm doesn't bother me when practicing them. I'm in. 

Yay for you being in, boo for the sore bum

6 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Ooooh I’m in! I think I used to be capable of chin-ups when I was, like, 10 or 11 and spent hours climbing trees each day. Need that toughness back! 

I did the benchmark test and got to the 30 sec unassisted hang. Now have a few days of training in the books, although my setup (rings looped around the back deck) is not perfect! 

6 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Maybe you should schedule some time for tree climbing.  

• Like 1

I'm in too! I signed up for the free version of the challenge (link here if anyone needs it). I got through all the level 1-4 benchmarks to my great surprise. When I was a kid I could barely pull up at all from a straight-arm hang. Now I can almost get a pullup on my rings, and I think I can maybe manage one on a pullup bar. With rings I can only really do neutral grip, so it's not a chinup but whatever. I tried to twist them to more of a chinup grip and only got up halfway. I never attempted a pullup grip.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, TiogaGirl said:

my setup (rings looped around the back deck) is not perfect! 

Yay ring buddy! My setup isn't perfect either. The ceiling in the only place I can hang the rings is low, so the only way to get a straight arm hang is to set them as high as possible (roughly the same height as my head), kneel under them, and lift up my knees. But I can still do it, and that's what matters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm in too! I signed up for the free version of the challenge (link here if anyone needs it). I got through all the level 1-4 benchmarks to my great surprise. When I was a kid I could barely pull up at all from a straight-arm hang. Now I can almost get a pullup on my rings, and I think I can maybe manage one on a pullup bar. With rings I can only really do neutral grip, so it's not a chinup but whatever. I tried to twist them to more of a chinup grip and only got up halfway. I never attempted a pullup grip.

Yay ring buddy! My setup isn't perfect either. The ceiling in the only place I can hang the rings is low, so the only way to get a straight arm hang is to set them as high as possible (roughly the same height as my head), kneel under them, and lift up my knees. But I can still do it, and that's what matters.

Woot! 

• Like 1

Did the chin up workout today.Assisted chin ups- I stand on the bottom step of the stool so that I just have to lift up a bit at the top. Start from squatting ,and pull myself up over the bar. I can do a full chin up, but if I'm going to do reps, I need to do assisted.Also did 2 sets of 30 seconds hangs, and 2 sets of 5 second holds at the top.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I'm in!  Was planning for pull-ups (instead of chin-ups) this challenge period anyway, so let's see what I can do!  Off to do benchmarks.

• Like 1

Benchmarks done.  Ultimately I am able to do one chin-up but found it interesting that while I could do the level 4 10-sec neg chin-up, there definitely seems to be a lack of control/strength nearing the bottom.  Guess I know where I need to put in some work.  Shooting for 2 solid chin-ups by the end.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chesire said:

Benchmarks done.  Ultimately I am able to do one chin-up but found it interesting that while I could do the level 4 10-sec neg chin-up, there definitely seems to be a lack of control/strength nearing the bottom.  Guess I know where I need to put in some work.  Shooting for 2 solid chin-ups by the end.

Woot for doing one. Interesting that you noted less strength at the bottom

Oh yay, I was hoping there would be something on here for those of us doing the chin-up challenge. I did my initial benchmarks yesterday - made it to 20sec hanging w/out feet on ground. Worse than I had hoped, not as bad as it could have been. My grip strength is more the problem than my shoulders - this I expected because I've struggled with wrist & elbow tendonitis off and on for years. We all start where we are, and this is where I am.

I followed my regular workout with 2x8 +1x10 bent rows with 15# DB - I'll do this one again Friday, and if I can again get to x10 in that 3rd set, I'll increase weight on Monday.

• Like 1

Ooh I’m in! My life time PR is 5 pull ups, once or twice, and now I can only struggle my way up approximately 1. It’d be cool to get them back.

On the plus side I maxed out all benchmarks. 🙂

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Isn’t it always the bottom though? 

Nope! I’ve struggled more with the top part for a while. Now it’s the bottom again, it’s like I forgotten how to link reps... Then again, the top hold in the benchmark was disproportionately difficult for me, way harder than the negatives, even nearing the bottom, so it might flip again soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh I’m in! My life time PR is 5 pull ups, once or twice, and now I can only struggle my way up approximately 1. It’d be cool to get them back.

On the plus side I maxed out all benchmarks. 🙂

Nope! I’ve struggled more with the top part for a while. Now it’s the bottom again, it’s like I forgotten how to link reps... Then again, the top hold in the benchmark was disproportionately difficult for me, way harder than the negatives, even nearing the bottom, so it might flip again soon.

Yay, glad you came to play. That's my issue too, I've forgotten how to link reps. Though I struggled with the hang, but the top hold was easy for me ( which is funny because it used to be the opposite

I was sure I would fail in the hangs (I didn't, but it's where I came closest). I think it was more of a grip strength thing than a pullup strength thing.

What is your preferred method of assisting your pulls?

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay, glad you came to play. That's my issue too, I've forgotten how to link reps. Though I struggled with the hang, but the top hold was easy for me ( which is funny because it used to be the opposite

60 second IS quite a long time!

Let's get back those multi reps. :D 

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I was sure I would fail in the hangs (I didn't, but it's where I came closest). I think it was more of a grip strength thing than a pullup strength thing.

What is your preferred method of assisting your pulls?

For sure. I'm back to climbing again so my grip strength is beginning to slowly get better, feels good. :) 

Personally I prefer like to assist with a toe on the floor, or however much weight I need to take off to get started on a rep. It makes it very scalable. I don't like scaling the top part of the pull, for that I prefer slow negatives. Hate bands!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

ersonally I prefer like to assist with a toe on the floor, or however much weight I need to take off to get started on a rep

Oh that's a good idea. I will try that.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:51 PM, Elastigirl said:

Tested it today, and I was able to do 2 chin ups!

Awesome! 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:44 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Personally I prefer like to assist with a toe on the floor, or however much weight I need to take off to get started on a rep. It makes it very scalable. I don't like scaling the top part of the pull, for that I prefer slow negatives. Hate bands!

Seconded :) 

On 8/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, Fit Monkey said:

Oh yay, I was hoping there would be something on here for those of us doing the chin-up challenge. I did my initial benchmarks yesterday - made it to 20sec hanging w/out feet on ground. Worse than I had hoped, not as bad as it could have been. My grip strength is more the problem than my shoulders - this I expected because I've struggled with wrist & elbow tendonitis off and on for years. We all start where we are, and this is where I am.

I followed my regular workout with 2x8 +1x10 bent rows with 15# DB - I'll do this one again Friday, and if I can again get to x10 in that 3rd set, I'll increase weight on Monday.

So...didn't manage another strength workout last week, so stuck with the 15#DB this week for 2 workouts. Managed to get to x10 in the 3rd set for a second time today (1st was Wednesday), so plan to increase weight next week. Baby steps are still steps forward, right?