NightWatcher13 dials it in

NightWatcher13

NightWatcher stumbled and fell beside the bonfire. She inhaled deeply, filling and drinking her estus flask a couple of times to feel the flame and health flow back through her veins. She had made it back in one piece, even if it had been rough  - but she needed to reevaluate her strategy and fix her weapons before going back through that gauntlet again. Unfortunately, that gauntlet was also where she needed to go next. After all, someone had to ring that bell...

giphy.gif

(Been a while since I've gone with a full theme lol - but Dark Souls always works)

Ok, so last challenge I did NOT get to keep up with a challenge, I did manage to keep up with some IRL stuff but what I went with in the actual challenge went up in smoke basically in week 2. Thank God for bullet journals, at least I have some track of what happened 😅 unfortunatly, that also means that while I was hoping for a more laid back challenge to focus more on broad strokes like getting off work on time or a set schedule for workouts which I still need to work on... I basically looked like the "hang in there" kitten from the poster..

61irQrNjgnL._AC_SY679_.jpg

So. At least for now, that approach is not gonna work. New month, new challenge - same work and pandemic life going on. I'll be going with something a little crunchier this round methinks:

Main quest - RECLAIMING MY TIME

SQ1 - Back to Firelink - Home is where the... well, everything is. 4 points/week

Shockingly, work and stress have been eating my life. A lot - especially with the transition in managers over my lab that has gone... eh? And I have a hard time not taking on the responsibility for making sure that we get whatever we need to finished. I need to be able to take a step back and breathe from that during the week, which means those things I want to do at home (like read, food prep, exercise) require time when I'm not at work or focused on said work.

• Cutting off the shift within 9 hours 4 days / week (I'll be working on getting in earlier in the morning too - but with my other sleep issues I'm not pointing that bit)

tenor.gif?itemid=8624609

SQ2 - Into the painting - virtual is still reality 3 points/week

Exercise is exercise - even if I'm attached to a PlayStation. I don't know if it was more of a time thing, or feeling like it was too much of a game, but I had a hard time getting my workouts in the last couple of challenges. So I'm going to be less rigid on what days what exercises have to happen, but I will be trying to get into VR 3 times / week for exercise - be it Beat Saber, BoxVR, whatever.

• VR exercise 3x / week

slave-knight-gael-v1.jpg

SQ3 - Refill your estus flask 5 points/week

We all know how much diet plays into everything here; it's a little hard to maintain that while either grabbing drive thru food or making whatever is quickest at home or throwing snack food into a bag before running to work in the morning. So I'll be trying to make sure I get food prepped ahead of time for lunch (dinner too, but I don't have to pack that... in theory)

• Pack lunches the night before

5ba1a95f41afb5a92aba73a339be2966.png

LQ - Keep working on Japanese 5 points/week

I am starting to pull in resources besides Duo, but for this I'll be focusing on making sure I keep up my Duo practices. Truly the final boss here...

15203ee9ebc57d242c75ff065c5b106cd26478ff

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Love it!

Glad to see you are still beat sabering too!! :)

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 8/3/2020 at 5:51 AM, Wobbegong said:

You killed me with this lol! Hit me up if you want to practice Japanese though, I'm happy to しゃべる anytime。

Your challenge looks great! I love your theme and all your quests. You got this.

Right? Duo has never been so epic. I would definitely love to practice sometime! I definitely need to work on IRL Japanese

On 8/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, Jupiter said:

Love your goals! Following! :) 

Yay!

• Like 2

Bullet journal trackers for this month :

IMG_20200804_224151.thumb.jpg.3911241aa00036e6d89fc4807dfe24ee.jpgIMG_20200804_224202.thumb.jpg.33e569eb919b7670582f4dae97b45c8e.jpg

(I haven't decided on any books aside from the 2 on the spines in the tracker yet)

Challenge update for so far this week:

- I was off work within the timeframe today (almost was yesterday too, but got recalled to the lab as I was literally on my way out of the plant)

- I made enough time after work and running errands (needed meds... heckin' breathing issues are acting up) to get into the VR and play some Beat Saber - I'm still on Hard Mode for most of the songs, but started playing a few I haven't beaten on Expert Mode until I failed them twice then moved to the next one to get more practice in with the speed and variations. What The Cat is literally the only song I can't get on Hard 😆 

- I had lunch packed for the last 2 days, and have one ready to go tomorrow.

- So far I've been keeping up with Duo this week every day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Right? Duo has never been so epic. I would definitely love to practice sometime! I definitely need to work on IRL Japanese

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I told you about WaniKani before right? I got to learning Kanji and trying to read easy manga but got overwhelmed and stopped 😱😭

日本語会話しましょう!

私は毎日日本語で喋るけどあまり書く練習しません。頑張りましょう!

Better to write anyway, I speak like a fishing village hick. (To be fair, I guess that's exactly what I am lol.)

• Like 2

Will pay for BuJo Set up Services!  LOL.

Seriously love your set up.

The stencils you got from etsy - were they plastic or something more firm?   The ones I got off Amazon are flimsy plastic and may be part of my problem.  Also they are white ... like seriously... how can I see what I am doing with a white stencil on white paper??

Also... omg, What the Cat was our hang up for me and Spur of the Moment for a long time.  He JUST got it on expert and I am just shy of getting it on expert.   Any of the Camellia songs on Hard is like most others on Expert!  Super challenging, but sooo rewarding when you get it!   

Nice work!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Me trying to leave work today:

giphy.gif

We had a project I was trying to finish up getting data for before I left today, but with other things hopping up around it that took a while... and I was there just past the 9 hours I was trying to make the cutoff. *grumbles*

21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Pretty! :) 

Thanks! It was fun to set up

21 hours ago, Rookie said:

Lol duel lingo

I told you about WaniKani before right? I got to learning Kanji and trying to read easy manga but got overwhelmed and stopped 😱😭

Following along ♥️

You may have, though I'd long forgotten about it if you did. I just joined though and started the first few radical lessons, thanks :) 

20 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

日本語会話しましょう!

私は毎日日本語で喋るけどあまり書く練習しません。頑張りましょう!

Better to write anyway, I speak like a fishing village hick. (To be fair, I guess that's exactly what I am lol.)

(I need to figure out how to type in kana with an american keyboard, I can't get Tapatalk to work so I can respond on mobile) I probably sound like a toddler with all the verbal practice I get lol. And yes, very much let's :) What's your schedule typically look like? 

13 hours ago, Chesire said:

Duel Lingo.  Totally lol'ed.  And you reminded me to go do my French lesson. 

Woot! Go French. Yeah, the Duel Lingo joke cracked me up

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Will pay for BuJo Set up Services!  LOL.

Seriously love your set up.

The stencils you got from etsy - were they plastic or something more firm?   The ones I got off Amazon are flimsy plastic and may be part of my problem.  Also they are white ... like seriously... how can I see what I am doing with a white stencil on white paper??

Also... omg, What the Cat was our hang up for me and Spur of the Moment for a long time.  He JUST got it on expert and I am just shy of getting it on expert.   Any of the Camellia songs on Hard is like most others on Expert!  Super challenging, but sooo rewarding when you get it!   

Nice work!

Aww, thanks :) The ones I have are pretty thin plastic, I did have more issues with tracing it on white paper but taping the edges down with washi for tracing and / or stamping ink instead of tracing helped a lot. I did also get a small ruler/basic spacing stencil that's black metal that helps a lot with straight lines, I think it's just called Sketchmark

I'll need to try some of the other Camellia songs here soon, What the Cat is bonkers and I love it! I know I saw you do What the Cat once on your channel (I don't remember if it was hard or expert) I don't think I've watched Spur of the Moment do that one yet. It might be a good thing I can't do Beat Saber with the camera on me for that one though 🤣

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

(I need to figure out how to type in kana with an american keyboard, I can't get Tapatalk to work so I can respond on mobile) I probably sound like a toddler with all the verbal practice I get lol. And yes, very much let's :) What's your schedule typically look like? 

I only know how to do it on a mac, so if you're on windows I cannot help lol. But generally the input is just romaji.

I'm in Japan so my timezone is pretty inconvenient, but I'm about to be stuck at home on summer vacation for two weeks so pretty much "completely free." When school's in session, I'm free in the afternoons/evenings, usually from around 4pm to 9pm Tokyo time. There's a bit of variability there depending on the weekday, since different schools come with different commute and end times.

We could always just chat in private messages too once you get kana input figured out, if my schedule's incompatible with yours.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I managed to download a Japanese keyboard on my windows computer 😊 Ill check how tomorrow when I'm on the computer if it would be helpful to you

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I only know how to do it on a mac, so if you're on windows I cannot help lol. But generally the input is just romaji.

I asked Google and it suggested going to Settings and downloading the Japanese stuff in there :) Just took a bit to download, but it seems to work - and yup, it works off of romaji so that's super useful, I was afraid it would need a number pad or something else my keyboard lacks 

すき‼ いいですね (at least so far, with as rudimentary as my japanese writing skills are, but definitely spiffy)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm in Japan so my timezone is pretty inconvenient, but I'm about to be stuck at home on summer vacation for two weeks so pretty much "completely free." When school's in session, I'm free in the afternoons/evenings, usually from around 4pm to 9pm Tokyo time. There's a bit of variability there depending on the weekday, since different schools come with different commute and end times.

We could always just chat in private messages too once you get kana input figured out, if my schedule's incompatible with yours.

Mine is... sorta 9-5, but a) I suck at mornings and b) I'm awful at getting off work on time so I tend to be off sometime between 6 and 8 pm, am working on making that a bit more normal/less haywire than it currently is though.

Speaking of sucking at mornings, 4pm-9pm Tokyo is 3am-8am here (US eastern), looks like we're rotated by 11 hours. 

• Like 1

Quick check in for tonight :

- Managed to get out of work on time,

- Played some Beat Saber then added a 15ish minute BoxVR class on top of that. 

- Lunch is packed for tomorrow (That's 5/5 on that for the week! woot)

- Did Duo, and so far I'm liking WaniKani too - thanks @Rookie for suggesting that one

I need to figure out what I want to make for dinners next week... I'm thinking maybe Noodles and Beef

• Like 3

Week 1 check in:

SQ1 - Back to Firelink - Home is where the... well, everything is. 3/4 points

I did better at this than I have for quite a while - but it was definitely what I struggled the most with.

SQ2 - Into the painting - virtual is still reality 2/3 points

I got on the VR Tuesday and Thursday last week, with some decent time on both Beat Saber and BoxVR - but didn't get on a third time.

SQ3 - Refill your estus flask 5/5

I did get food prepped and packed the night before every week last week - which while not perfect as far as what I packed was way better than quick food

LQ - Keep working on Japanese 5/5

giphy.gif

Actually got Duo in every day this week, plus started WaniKani which definitely seems like it's helping 

So overall, I'd say last week went pretty well. Not perfect, but good.

seigbrau.thumb.jpg.c8d5afe634e7d6af8da8af2675b11668.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/6/2020 at 10:57 PM, Rookie said:

You are doing awesome on your challenge so far. And also, you are welcome! 

Mmm beef 🍖 I'm on board with beef lol. 

I did make some noodles & beef yesterday in the instant pot (and cheated a bit and used red wine to substitute for one of the 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup) - nom 

• Like 2

NIghtWatcher ran forward into the fray again, tired. She managed to dodge past the first few hollows, before feeling a sudden pain in her spine, collapsing, and opening her eyes back at the bonfire. Dammit. Seems she'd missed one...

Week 2 check in:

SQ1 - Back to Firelink - Home is where the... well, everything is. 3/4 points

Work was crazy as hell this week, especially at the beginning of the week (someone I was supposed to train kept getting rescheduled on me) but I did manage to pull myself back from it a bit towards the end of the week. I'm getting frustrated with myself in the lab though, I keep missing or forgetting things I shouldn't and it's infuriating :( 

SQ2 - Into the painting - virtual is still reality 2/3 points

I got on the VR Thursday and Friday, I didn't do as much Friday as thursday but did get a few minutes of fun physical activity in.

SQ3 - Refill your estus flask 2/5

I had food I had prepped over the weekend I was able to throw in the bag Sunday and Monday nights, but after that I didn't get food packed really - Friday (thursday night) was intentional though, since I had gotten overtime in the beginning of the week I was planning to leave earlier that day to make up for it. 

LQ - Keep working on Japanese 5/5

I did pretty ok keeping up with Duo (and WaniKani) this week, I did miss Sunday but met my goal and feel like I'm actually starting to get somewhere with it right now :) 

• Like 3

Also, I tried a guided yoga this morning from Audible (you can get some stuff like that with your subscription, so figured I'd try it out) and holy SMOKES I am stiff as heck. I still have a few issues I had from last time I did some yoga - left shoulder can't hold downward dog pose very long, can't sit on my feet for very long before something falls asleep - but I was not this stiiiiiff and I hate it. I did cut the session basically in half 'cause I hit a point where my shoulder was just done, but overall the stretching felt really good. I may rewind and restart this one a few times this week, or try a handful of the next ones in the series, haven't decided yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Also, I tried a guided yoga this morning from Audible (you can get some stuff like that with your subscription, so figured I'd try it out) and holy SMOKES I am stiff as heck. I still have a few issues I had from last time I did some yoga - left shoulder can't hold downward dog pose very long, can't sit on my feet for very long before something falls asleep - but I was not this stiiiiiff and I hate it. I did cut the session basically in half 'cause I hit a point where my shoulder was just done, but overall the stretching felt really good. I may rewind and restart this one a few times this week, or try a handful of the next ones in the series, haven't decided yet.

Then regular yoga sounds like a good plan :). Maybe you can start with something easier, and work your way up to the audible series? There's plenty to find on youtube ;).

• Like 3
On 8/16/2020 at 2:27 PM, Waanie said:

Then regular yoga sounds like a good plan :). Maybe you can start with something easier, and work your way up to the audible series? There's plenty to find on youtube ;).

I may hunt around for some variety on Youtube, but I'm definitely going to need to do some mobility / restrengthening work, especially in my hips and shoulders apparently.

Today and yesterday were pretty good - after the yoga I got some dishes and cleaning done, caught up laundry etc - then had our Star Wars game last night that we'd all been really anxious about (escaping the Geonosian palace where we were "guests", having a massive chase from speeder bikes and a ruthless merc, then my character had the surgery to remove the bomb implanted in her as a baby due to her enslavement that another merc had gotten his hands on the controller for and was holding over our heads... It was an epic, ridiculous and fun session)

I completely forgot that I'd turned my alarm off, so I didn't even wake up till 10 and got into work later than I wanted - but got a lot done and was able to get out of there within my 9 hour limit, then downloaded the new song pack for Beat Saber 'cause it's Linkin freaking Park, did that and a 15 minute BoxVR session. Overall a much more positive start to this week than the last several

• Like 1