• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan works the clock

The last challenge went well overall and I believe that it's because I really didn't have a specific plan for training.  My decision of not taking an in person Karate class made me feel a little lost but I finally started to get back on track after a few weeks passed.  I can still get in good training even if I am not in class and I can still learn some new things as long a my mind is open.  With that said, this challenge is all about just doing something and going with my gut instead of my mind.  I often heard that the gut is the other brain and it seems to be pretty smart and many times smarter than the one in my head.

1 - 30 minute workout for 30 days

The Apple watch has had a big impact on my training and the information it contains has kept me moving even when I don't feel like moving.  I found that getting it makes me feel guilty if I don't workout and I think getting at least 30 minutes of workout time is a good place to be.  I have done it in the past and even had a pr of 75 days in a row but over the last few months those numbers have dropping and it's time to get them back up.

2 - Find time for sleep

I have had sleep issues for years and I notice that if I have even 20 minutes more sleep in a day, I feel much better overall.  The goal is to get 6 hours and 45 minutes of sleep each week night and one weekend day.

3 - Read 10 minutes a day

This part of the past challenges has been going well and I want to continue it going forward.

Extra credit: Publish that one elusive blog post. I almost had it in the last challenge and I think I can do it this time around.

Geez, yeah man, you need to get some rest. Especially these days with the Pandemic on. Any amount of prevention you can do will help.

• Like 1

I realized that my updates are going to be a day behind unless I start typing in my sleep.

Day one: 8/2

Starting out with a 36 minute workout.  Some extra stretching, which I pushed too much and put my left hip out of wack.  I was able to do some other stretches to get is back in place and then came some kata work and some basics.  I did some sparring drills, focusing on foot work more than the actual attacks and it felt pretty good.  I all but stopped doing sparring drills over the last few years and getting back into them is like learning something new again.  I still move automatically when doing these types of drills but I seem to have dropped some bad habits from not doing them for so long a time.  Some lower body exercises finished out the day.

Reading went well with more than ten minutes and sleep time ended at 6 hours and 40 minutes.  It was cut short from a midnight call from the alarm company at my office, which was a false alarm anyway but enough to break my sleep.

• Like 1

I honestly think that automatic movement/flow state stuff isn't bad as a rule. If there is a problem, it tends to come I think from not examining the patterns that are emerging in those movements. We fall to the level of our training and all that, after all.

• Like 1

Day two:

Good workout day. 53 minutes of training, only 6:17 minutes of sleep and a good amount of reading.  This workout started slow and ramped up quickly.  I'm not sure what happened with my sleep that night but it was a rough sleep.

Day three:

Okay workout.  36 minutes of what felt like forced training. I was a bit still and my workout did get better after I warmed up but not like the previous day.  Sleep was better with 6:35 minutes but I was foggy an my neck was a squawking a bit.  Reading went well again before bed.

• Like 1

Nice! Sounds like reading before bed might be a thing for you to do. Could be the root of a routine for better sleep, maybe.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, Kishi said:

Nice! Sounds like reading before bed might be a thing for you to do. Could be the root of a routine for better sleep, maybe.

I have been reading before bed but it's not so much trouble falling asleep, it's waking up throughout the night that is lowering my sleep time.  It's not too bad because I am pretty much used to six hours but I do notice that if I have good sleep for at least six and half hours, I feel better.

Day four:

Good workout overall for 34 minutes.  Some kata and some Tabata lower body work.  Reading is good and sleep was 6:35.

Day five:

Easy workout day.  I was adjusted by my Chiropractor and he did some hard adjustments although he said I was a really relaxed overall.  Some kata work with not much power but clean technique.  Reading again and sleep was at 6:26.

• Like 1

Workouts have been going well with at least 30 minutes a day up to over 80 minutes on the weekends.  I am guessing the average is 45 minutes a day.  Sleep is not going as well with a little over six hours a night and some less.  Lots of work is keeping me from sleeping as much as I want but when I do get more time in bed, I feel much better the following morning. Reading is going well.

• Like 1

This past week has been one of the best workout weeks I have had in a while.  I am averaging about 44 a day.  Sleep isn't as bad as I thought for the week I had 6:47 average but some days were really low with a little over five hours.  Reading is going really well and I am getting in more time reading than I expected.  I found another great book called The Secrets of the Black Belt Mindset. It's most about NLP,, which I have always had a heavy interest in and this is one of the easier books about the subject that I have read.

• Like 1

Nice! Good to see you're getting your training on and getting what you need as you need it. It even sounds like the sleep's going okay; it tends to be better considered as an average rather than as something that has to be got perfect all the time.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, Kishi said:

Yo! Hope you're working the clock and the clock isn't working you!

The work clock was a working against me but it still allowed me to workout for the last 30+ plus days.  I averaged 39 minutes of workouts across the last challenge with some workouts lasting over 90 minutes.  Sleep, from my Apple watch says I had 7 hr 18 min sleep average but I am thinking it might be a little off.  Reading also went very well and I read an awesome book that I want to read again just because it had some much good information in it.  It's called Secrets of the Black Belt Mindset: Turning Simple Habits Into Extraordinary Success but Will Dieck.  Lots of great mind and habit info.  The only downside is, I didn't get in the blog post but that seem to be a pattern that I need to fix.