Better Late Than Never

I didn't want to start the challenge before making sure the goals I had originally set for myself were attainable. Turns out they weren't. 😕 Oh well, there's always next challenge. 😄

So... new goals! Yay!

CURRENT MAIN GOAL: Make enough progress with my physical therapy that I'm given the "okay" to start running. (Estimated 3-4 weeks. Gonna do my best to make it 3.)

Diet

Limit of 1 soda per week (currently drinking it so I don't have to worry about keeping track of that, lol)

Drink coffee instead of energy drinks

Fitness

Do physical therapy stretches 2-3 times daily

Go to physical therapy twice a week (and impress the heck out of my therapists 🤞)

Level Up Your Life

Have a cleaned out (and clean) kitchen sink before going to bed every night

Finalized bullet journal. (Finish formatting, print pages, and put together in shiny brand new journal.)

• Like 3

Welcome @Little_Fox42! Yay for attainable goals. :)

Good luck on you PT goals! I know PT can be frustrating and you've got a great attitude for making the best of it.  

I've got a similar limit 'soda' (all sodas are coke where I'm from! lol) goal and I'm working on bullet journaling too.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Great challenge! All achievable. Welcome to Nerd Fitness! We all love a latecomer.

Definitely avoid those energy drinks. As someone who recently joined an exclusive club (diabetes!), they are one of the worst things. I really regret what I did to my body with that muck.

Sugar is the next tobacco.

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

✔️No soda

✔️Coffee instead of energy drink (Tried it with honey instead of sugar and cut waaaaay down on creamer. Coffee is easier on weekends because my boyfriend makes it before I get up. Weekdays are gonna be a little tougher.)

✔️Physical therapy stretches (Done it twice so far and it feels good. I plan to do it one more time, probably right before bed.)

✔️Clean sink (last night) (Mostly. I forgot to take care of my glass from dinner and noticed it sitting on the table as I was going to bed. It got put in the sink on my way up.)

✖️Bullet Journal (Not quite there yet. Finished the background stuff and the bulk of the main pages. Had a few ideas for new pages, though, so I'm working on those. I plan to print out the finished pages either today or tomorrow and then print the new ones later in the week. I made progress on it, though, so I count today as a success. Gonna give myself a deadline of the end of the week to have it all printed out.)

12 hours ago, cd667 said:

Definitely avoid those energy drinks. As someone who recently joined an exclusive club (diabetes!), they are one of the worst things. I really regret what I did to my body with that muck.

My boyfriend has type 2 diabetes. He does nooooot take care of himself and I can't force him to. Part of me is hoping that by setting a good example maybe he'll make a few changes. I don't want to "trick him into dieting" or anything like that. Just wanna make small changes here and there that will help both of us. At the very least if I start cooking dinner a couple nights a week I can help him in the process. My nutritionist made the comment the other day that if we all ate like diabetics are supposed to we'd all be healthy.

Food is gonna be my biggest struggle with weight loss. My boyfriend does most of the cooking and puts the food on the plates. He's a big guy, 6'3" and a bit on the heavy size. His portion size is bigger than what mine needs to be (and probably bigger than what his should be). I've been struggling to convince him to give me half the serving size he gives himself. I'm getting there, but it's a slow process. That and convincing him not to buy me things like ice cream and root beer just because he knows I love it.

The other struggle is that I'm not comfortable asking him to give up the things he likes. Ice cream, energy drinks, lots of cheese, potatoes, etc. It's going to take a lot of will power on my part to not eat the things that are conveniently there and delicious and that I see him eating and enjoying. Also switching things out, like whole grain instead of white bread is gonna affect him. And having 2 types of bread, or making 2 different kinds of spaghetti when we make dinner, or having different dinners is just too complicated.

He does support my weight loss journey, and if I ask him, he will make sacrifices for me. But I'm trying to do this with as little unwelcome impact on him as possible. Like I said, I can't force him to change and being healthy is his decision, not mine.

Hey Little_Fox! 

Good luck with your goals, they sound really great. Very doable. :) 

@kitchen sink: have you ever heard of Flylady? (just curious - I found her AGES (like 10 years or so) ago when I wanted to get my household in order, her main things are "shine your sink" and "babysteps". xD Just had do think of this, reading your goal. :)

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

9 minutes ago, Little_Fox42 said:

My boyfriend has type 2 diabetes. He does nooooot take care of himself and I can't force him to. Part of me is hoping that by setting a good example maybe he'll make a few changes. I don't want to "trick him into dieting" or anything like that. Just wanna make small changes here and there that will help both of us. At the very least if I start cooking dinner a couple nights a week I can help him in the process. My nutritionist made the comment the other day that if we all ate like diabetics are supposed to we'd all be healthy.

Food is gonna be my biggest struggle with weight loss. My boyfriend does most of the cooking and puts the food on the plates. He's a big guy, 6'3" and a bit on the heavy size. His portion size is bigger than what mine needs to be (and probably bigger than what his should be). I've been struggling to convince him to give me half the serving size he gives himself. I'm getting there, but it's a slow process. That and convincing him not to buy me things like ice cream and root beer just because he knows I love it.

The other struggle is that I'm not comfortable asking him to give up the things he likes. Ice cream, energy drinks, lots of cheese, potatoes, etc. It's going to take a lot of will power on my part to not eat the things that are conveniently there and delicious and that I see him eating and enjoying. Also switching things out, like whole grain instead of white bread is gonna affect him. And having 2 types of bread, or making 2 different kinds of spaghetti when we make dinner, or having different dinners is just too complicated.

He does support my weight loss journey, and if I ask him, he will make sacrifices for me. But I'm trying to do this with as little unwelcome impact on him as possible. Like I said, I can't force him to change and being healthy is his decision, not mine.

I have the exact same issue with my partner.  Or at least, I thought I did. She has been so supportive, and appears to be coming with me. I didn't have to trick her because she really wanted the same things as me, that is for us to get the chance to get old together. I told her what I was going to do, and invited her to come along.

What I'd say is this. I used to eat all the stuff your BF eats that I thought I liked. Since my diagnosis (well, actually before my diagnosis for a while), I have been eating better. And the advice I got from the diabetes nurse was amazing. Eat under 140g of carbohydrate a day. That's a lot! If you eat the right stuff, you don't feel hungry, and junk feels like, well, junk.

I've not weighed myself, but I have lost two inches around my middle since I started. I look and feel different. Not tired in the same way as I was before I started eating right, no peeing in the middle of the night, and for some reason my leg hairs (which have been going away since I was in my thirties) are growing back. The best bit is I feel amazing. Who'd have thought that the answer would be to look after yourself and do things you love, even though at the time you don't feel like it?

• Like 1

20 years ago.

Now.

Today is proving to be a rough day. I know it's because of a chemical imbalance, but doesn't make me feel less like crap. Zero energy, zero motivation, just wanna stay in bed all day. Went to bed early last night at 8:30 instead of 11ish. Stayed in bed way too long this morning. But I'm up now, and I'm drinking coffee (with less honey and creamer than I used yesterday) and I'm halfway through a bottle of water.

My heel is hurting a little today and there's a very small amount of pain on the bottom of my foot which is new. I'm hoping it's just pain radiating. Still gonna do my stretches today, but I might not push as hard as I have been. I'll see how I feel after one stretch session today and go from there. Today might be a just rest, ice, compression, and elevation day.

On the bright side, I got an email from my doctor and she went ahead and put in a prescription for me so I can get my thyroid levels back where they're supposed to be. I also have a referral to an endocrinologist to make sure there's nothing more sinister than just my thyroid malfunctioning. I'm really hoping this helps lower the difficulty level a bit so I don't constantly feel like I'm trying to ride a bike uphill.

Gonna go get the prescription filled before I do anything else.

That was pointless. Went to the pharmacy and they had no record of the prescription. Called the doctor's office and sat on hold for 10 minutes before being told that she could see where the doctor sent me the message saying the prescription had been sent in, but there was no record of it being successfully sent to the pharmacy. She couldn't fix it, so she said she'd relay it to the doctor and the doctor would give me a call back. That was two hours ago. Sat in the parking lot for an hour watching Avatar: The Last Airbender before finally giving up and going home. Grr... Arg...

Staying positive is difficult today, but my boyfriend will be home from work soon and a snuggle-nap will make everything better.

I did do one productive thing while I was out though. I had tried printing the background images I wanted to use for my BuJo and it didn't work quite the way I wanted it to, so I bought some light marble-y paper that I'm gonna cut to size. It's only printed on one side, but that's okay. I had a feeling that printing my pages on both sides would leave my BuJo looking somewhat gaunt.

For now I'm gonna half ass the dishes and try to summon the energy to do a load of laundry. Maybe try calling the doctor's office again... eww... phone calls...

It's rough dealing with doctors. Especially in these covid days.

Hey, I have to do a load of phone calls. A couple of them will be uncomfortable.

Hang in there, @Little_Fox42. Consider yourself rooted for. :D

20 years ago.

Now.

Yesterday ended better than it began. Still keeping up the no soda, just made myself a cup of coffee (reduced the honey and creamer even more, although I don't think I can go less than a teaspoon of each), I've got a physical therapy appointment in an hour, cleaned the sink last night, and I'm one step closer to having the BuJo ready to use. Might even have it done by the end of the day. 🤞 Well, except for the extras and embellishments and whatnot.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, Epsilonte said:

@kitchen sink: have you ever heard of Flylady? (just curious - I found her AGES (like 10 years or so) ago when I wanted to get my household in order, her main things are "shine your sink" and "babysteps". xD Just had do think of this, reading your goal. :)

I had to ask my mom about that; the name sounded familiar. Sure enough she had a book by the Flylady that had something to do with keeping the kitchen sink clean. I wonder if that's where my brain got the idea subconsciously or something.

5 hours ago, cd667 said:

It's rough dealing with doctors. Especially in these covid days.

Hey, I have to do a load of phone calls. A couple of them will be uncomfortable.

Hang in there, @Little_Fox42. Consider yourself rooted for. :D

I like my doctor, the doctor's office... not so much, lol. Very disorganized. My doctor works at multiple locations and last week they scheduled me for a Tuesday appointment before that location even opened, rescheduled the appointment for that Thursday, only for me to get there and find out she's only at that location on Fridays. Yesterday I had called the first time and they said they would relay the message to the doctor and she'd call me right back. 3 hours later when I called to see if I could get an update, I was told that afternoon messages typically weren't answered until the next morning. WHY would you lead me to believe the doctor is gonna get right back to me?... Grr...

Anyway, it's taken care of now. I'll swing by the pharmacy after my physical therapy appointment. Today is gonna be a better day despite the fact the last dream I had before waking up was a nightmare about an alligator attacking my mom. 😱

✔️No soda (Insanely strong craving for a root beer float right now. Using my procrastination tendencies to my advantage on that one.)

✔️Coffee instead of energy drink (Only used a teaspoon each of honey and creamer.)

✔️Physical therapy stretches (Twice so far with intention to do one more.)

Clean sink (last night) (Went to bed early, exhausted. Cleaned the sink first thing when I got up. Well, second thing. First thing was cleaning up the notepad one of my dogs decided was a chew toy. 😠)

✖️Bullet Journal (Printed out the main pages, about to punch holes in them and put them in order. I did decide to laminate the ones that I'm using to track sleep, water intake, etc. That way I don't have to print a new one every month. Decided to use regular printer paper for the food diary part, so I'm cutting those to size and I should have them printed by the end of the day.)

Finally got the prescription filled yesterday and took the first dose this morning. I have a follow up appointment in 6 weeks to see if it's the right dosage. Still waiting to hear from the endocrinologist.

Had 2 sodas (and fast food)

Had an energy drink (followed immediately by a nap, strangely enough)

✔️Physical therapy went great!

Did not clean sink... at all...

✖️Didn't work on the BuJo at all yesterday

I wish I could say I had an excuse for falling off the wagon yesterday, but it really just comes down to poor planning and oversleeping. My boyfriend tried to let me use the excuse of my body adjusting to new meds, lol.

Doing better today. Coffee in hand, about to stretch, knock out the dishes, and finish the BuJo.

I like your clean sink goal.  I am going to incorporate that into my next challenge.  Its a love/hate thing, not having an automatic dishwasher.  And I don't think my sink has been clean in months. (Ok, I know that sounds gross, but I don't have month old dirty dishes in my sink.  I just never seem to get ahead of it.)

I, too, have coffee in hand.  Lets GOOOOOO! :) 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, Little_Fox42 said:

I wish I could say I had an excuse for falling off the wagon yesterday, but it really just comes down to poor planning and oversleeping.

Doing better today. 

This is where I love Steve's "never two in a row" rule. We're never going to be perfect, but one bad day won't ruin everything and you're already back on track today. Way to go! You got this!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I'm still here. Fell off the wagon big time over the weekend. A rough Friday, a D&D night Saturday with sodas and alcohol, a lazy Sunday, I don't know what happened to Monday, and migraine Tuesday. Sink was full all weekend and had an energy drink yesterday and today. For some reason energy drinks don't mess with my stomach, but coffee sometimes does. And migraines always make my stomach finicky.

The sink is clean now, I got the BuJo printed out on Friday (just haven't started using it yet), physical therapy is going well, and the soda I'm drinking right now is the one I'm counting as my 1 for the week. I also have an job interview tomorrow! 😁 Yay! Hoping I get it for multiple reasons, one of which is it's close enough I could ride my bike to work.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Little_Fox42 said:

I also have an job interview tomorrow! 😁 Yay! Hoping I get it for multiple reasons, one of which is it's close enough I could ride my bike to work.

Bravo! The perfect way to build a bit of fitness into your routine.

Don't worry about the "bad" weekend. We all do that sometimes. :D

20 years ago.

Now.

Not gonna count my chickens before they hatch, but the interview went really well. The recruiter said that she is going to recommend me to the person in charge of hiring for the department I applied to. She also said that if that person doesn't want me for whatever reason, she wants me for her department. I'll find out within the next couple of weeks.

Physical therapy went well, I've made a lot of progress. I'll be going twice a week still for the next 2 weeks and then he thinks I'll be okay to switch to once a week.

Had coffee this morning (couldn't have gotten through the interview process without it, lol), finally started writing in the BuJo, sink is clean, and I'll do my physical therapy exercises at least one more time today. My foam balance mat thingy finally came in the mail so I can do the balancing exercises as well as the stretching. I need to start doing some strength training soon. Once my boyfriend comes home I might bug him to help me get the weight bench a little more accessible. Definitely gonna have strength and yoga workouts on my next challenge.

All in all not a bad day. Feels good to be back on track.

• Like 3