Hello, there! I this website yesterday (after a recommendation from a friend) and after doing enough research I've joined. I guess I'm at my challege 0, I've preped for the 5 week-challenge thing but I've decided to wait until sep 7th, that's when the next challenge starts, that's how this works, right? I should mention that even though this seems like a fitness and nutrition focused place, my main goals are not related to that (wich is something I wanna change, actually), I've always put my academic work and leisure first, wich has lead to me lacking in other aspects. Currently I'm obese and very sedentary (quarantine doesn't help much) and I feel like I don't have a lot of control over my nutrition; at the same time, I consider myself recovered from an eating disorder (binge eating), wich began around 2016, sufice it to say, my relationship with the scale, nutritionists, and calorie tracking is not the best. I know that calorie defit is the key to weightloss, I know that you have to track calories and/or macros to do that correctly, but I feel like it's too soon for me to do that. First, I want to cut the foods that I know are bad, like pastries and saturated fat. The thing that caught my eye about the whole 5 week challenge system is that it's meant to be gradual, I love that, I've always been afraid of jumping too fast into things because I tend to quit whenever things get too unconfortable or hard or unconvenient and I hate that that's been my mindset around my health for years.

So, my Main Quests, regarding fitness and nutrition are the following:

• Control my cholesterol and triglycerides: This will involve having a healthy diet, one where I don't have heavy amounts of junk food all at once; loosing weight, right now I'm looking at dropping 25kg, but my "healthy weight" should be much lower; transition to vegetarianism in the long run, this can take a year or more, I'm not in a hurry to quit sea food! I love sea food, maybe I should be a pescetarian again.
  • Run a 5k: This is a nice way to say that I want to get in shape, lose enough weight that I can run without hurting my knees, have a good condition and be more active. I could also say "go in a hike and camp for a night" or "bench press 50lbs." I'd like to do all those things some day, but jut jogging is more achivable atm.

My Level-Up your Life Quest are much more specific to my proffession and long-term goals. I will start a masters degree in Modern Languages on sep. 14th, so I'm just looking into making the best I can of a 2 year program: publishing a paper or two, reading more about my particular academic interests, participating in internation congresses (I guess virtual ones for now), and things like that. This aspect of my life has always came first, I guess this is the perfect place to say it: I'm a huge nerd, but I had a professor once who had a phd in literature, won a nation poetry prize, AND ran track in his university team, so I know for a fact this is attainable.

Anyways, hello to all the rebels out there, you can find me in the Level 1 subforum as soon as the next challenge begins. Wish me luck!

P.S. I've put myself some challenges already, I'm going to beging cutting my lovely melted butter and jelly sandwich dinners to 50% and start the Begginner Bodyweight Workout :)

• Like 2

Welcome!  You already have clear ideas of your goals and beginnings of a plan how to achieve them. 

On 8/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, JulesVerne said:

I guess I'm at my challege 0, I've preped for the 5 week-challenge thing but I've decided to wait until sep 7th, that's when the next challenge starts, that's how this works, right?

Technically the next challenge starts on Sept 13th, but a lot of people roll right into the next challenge as soon as it opens up, disregarding "zero week."  But there is no need to wait if you don't want to lose momentum. 

Keep up the good work!

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

It's great that you know what you need to cut out of your diet to get on track. One key tip that my health coach gave me was to make sure you are adding more things into your diet too - don't only remove stuff but replace it so you don't feel the loss. 

I recently discovered Turkey Taco Bowls - it's basically a salad made up of all the ingredients you put into a Taco, just less corn-chipness. It's low calorie and leaner but super tasty and flavorsome. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates from you!

Pix